PDA

View Full Version : Back from the boneyard

Too Tall
03-12-2004, 07:54 AM
Tell me about a rescue bike or one of your old bikes you decided to resurrect.

Last weekend I decided it was foolish not to have a backup to the Legend so I dusted off Mr. Clark Kent AX-1 and assessed his state....pretty sad. All wasted DA 8 speed stuff. So, I dug through the parts drawers and cobbled together a pretty decent Ultegra 9 setup, flipped the stem as I'm NOT riding ultras these days. Fitted a new saddle and a sexy pair of carbon wheels AND my new 110bcd DaVinci cranks (34X50) and Phil MagTi BB. I toodled around the 'hood making adjustments for a while and than suited up and went for a real hard training ride. Did 6 repeats of the longest steepest hill around and an hr. of tempo. got home, put the bikes parallel to each other...stood back and low and behold they are dead on. Muscle memories are a wonderful thing.

I am using the compact crank with a 12X23 and wanna tell you DO IT and don't look back. Sprinting in a 50 X 12 is legit and you'll LOVE the lower gears and ability to big ring more. A DUH moment in cycling for me and p'd (at myself) that FSA had to wake me up.

The Clark Kent AX-1 is an awesome bike. Very strong tubing, short chainstays a custom rake steel fork and a nutty looking curved seattube. The bike is comparable to the legend as both have a steel feel but the Clark Kent is a better sprinter. Oh, my name is on the TT in gold script.....POSEUR!!!!

Any-who, was feeling back in love again with my trusty steel beast and plan to make better use of my old pal.

Ha ha, one minor glitch in the re-build was I could not find a decent working Ultegra left STI so I used an ancient DA downtube shifter for the front Der. Sooooo shiek and sooooo unintentional.

Dang, let's see what else I can dust off.

Jeff N.
03-12-2004, 08:46 AM
Sounds cool! I did something similar to an old C'Dale 2.8. The frame was just wasting away in the rafters. I had some 105-9 stuff in a bin, and a friend layed some wheels (105 hubs laced to MA-40's) on me and I built her up. A decent back-up bike for sure! What the heck! Makes one feel like Dr. Frankenstein: "Its alive!!!!"
Jeff N.

Ginger
03-12-2004, 09:42 AM
I haven't been wrenching my own bikes long enough to have enough drivetrain stuff to build bikes...but I have lots of friends who do. And I picked up my little bridgestone (in the custom gallery) frame and fork for $35 at the mmba swap meet. Found enough stuff to make it work...and its tons of fun!

And I have this little fat chance Yo Eddy frame...I think I *do* have enough mountain bike equipment to put that one on the road without much help...of course, I happened to run accross a fork for it the other day. I think its going to be a single speed mountain bike.

So no, not out of my own bone pile...I'm more of a scavenger.

Too Tall
03-12-2004, 01:51 PM
....gasp! A Yo Eddie. Lucky you. A real gem of a bike.

M_A_Martin
03-13-2004, 07:33 PM
I had the odd offhand chance at a Ti Yo Eddy...(they exist, few, but they're out there)

By the frame tag it was the last one out of the shop before they turned the lights out.

It was sadly too big for me.