PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Ultegra Repair - School Me

Wilkinson4
04-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Hey all

My neighbor wanted me to look at his bike that was shifting incorrectly and I said sure not knowing what I was getting into… Shima-nooooo. I know nothing about Shimano STI.

Here is what is going on. The bike rear derailleur is stuck in the 2nd to last cog of the rear cassette. Lever B (small lever) moves freely. Lever A (brake lever) can be used to move to the larger last cog and ratchets but it throws back onto the cog it is stuck in.

Any ideas or is there a good online resource I can look at. I have not looked at this for more than 30 sec but thought I would start here.

Thanks!

mIKE

stien
04-27-2014, 11:50 AM
Douse it with wd40

Kirk Pacenti
04-27-2014, 12:03 PM
Maybe you need to back out the limit screw a bit?

oldpotatoe
04-27-2014, 12:53 PM
Hey all

My neighbor wanted me to look at his bike that was shifting incorrectly and I said sure not knowing what I was getting into… Shima-nooooo. I know nothing about Shimano STI.

Here is what is going on. The bike rear derailleur is stuck in the 2nd to last cog of the rear cassette. Lever B (small lever) moves freely. Lever A (brake lever) can be used to move to the larger last cog and ratchets but it throws back onto the cog it is stuck in.

Any ideas or is there a good online resource I can look at. I have not looked at this for more than 30 sec but thought I would start here.

Thanks!

mIKE

Try 'STI' repair kit, flush with WD-40 followed by spray lube. 'May' fit it. Shift shifter whilst flushing, cable disconnected from rear der. Rear der moves freely w/o cable connected and no cable broken in lever?

If flush no work, cable end not stuck in lever, cable not fraying....adios lever. 'Some' say ya can fix these but no spare parts and generally a throw away(expensive) item.

Wilkinson4
04-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Try 'STI' repair kit, flush with WD-40 followed by spray lube. 'May' fit it. Shift shifter whilst flushing, cable disconnected from rear der. Rear der moves freely w/o cable connected and no cable broken in lever?

If flush no work, cable end not stuck in lever, cable not fraying....adios lever. 'Some' say ya can fix these but no spare parts and generally a throw away(expensive) item.

Ok, got a chance to take a look…

1. Took chain off
2. Detached rear der cable to check rear der range of motion
3. Lower limit screw was all stupid but into the frame stupid, not the other way
4. Fixed limit screws as they should be
5. Removed all slack from rear der shift lever cable
6. Attached rear der cable and used my trusty 4th hand
7. Flushed the hell out of the lever

So, now I can shift to the larger cogs in my work stand but not back down to the smaller cogs unless I hold Lever A (brake lever) steady.

If I just use Lever B nothing happens it moves freely but no clicking. Holding lever A while throwing lever B works. Pawls? Gonna flush it some more.

Ciao to lever????

mIKE

CiclistiCliff
04-27-2014, 01:56 PM
-Disconnect cable from the derailleur.
-Spray triflow/wd40/pb blaster into shifter and move both levers. - repeat til it start indexing again.
-If you have an air compressor, blow out all the nonsense you sprayed into the shifter and follow with triflow or prolink. Foaming triflow is the best for this, imho.
-Shift through all the index points and reinstall cable (new one is ideal)
-Life is grand.

stien
04-27-2014, 01:58 PM
Sometimes they like some tension. Putting a cable back on may fix the small paddle issue.

oldpotatoe
04-27-2014, 02:01 PM
Ok, got a chance to take a look…

1. Took chain off
2. Detached rear der cable to check rear der range of motion
3. Lower limit screw was all stupid but into the frame stupid, not the other way
4. Fixed limit screws as they should be
5. Removed all slack from rear der shift lever cable
6. Attached rear der cable and used my trusty 4th hand
7. Flushed the hell out of the lever

So, now I can shift to the larger cogs in my work stand but not back down to the smaller cogs unless I hold Lever A (brake lever) steady.

If I just use Lever B nothing happens it moves freely but no clicking. Holding lever A while throwing lever B works. Pawls? Gonna flush it some more.

Ciao to lever????

mIKE

Common failure mode, having the large lever 'travel' with little preventing shift to higher gear. Flush again, I'm about 60/70% success but that means 30-40% no go.

CiclistiCliff
04-27-2014, 02:07 PM
The grease has hardened and isn't allowing the sprung finger to move freely, hence the no clicky clicky.

You need to flush it again if still nothing, it's dead.

Wilkinson4
04-27-2014, 02:23 PM
1/2 a can of T9 Boeshield later and we have some clicking action. Good as new sort of:) I'm going to go ride my Campy bike and be thankful!

Thanks to all!

mIKE