PDA

View Full Version : What's with the "forum friendly" prices?

phcollard
04-26-2014, 10:56 AM
This is not a rant. Just trying to get your input as to why it is so hard to sell stuff these days.

Personally I have had no luck selling parts lately on the forums. Even new parts with a good - or do I think - discount from new and I include shipping of course. I also see a lot of great frames in excellent condition that linger in the classifieds for weeks or months and the seller almost has to give it away in the end after a dozen bumps. If you have a brand new in box CK headset you will probably sell it fast if you make it at $70 shipped otherwise good luck. I remember a few months ago it wasn't so tough.

So what's your take? Market in its softest spot right now? We already spent all our hard earned money earlier this Spring? Nobody gives a damn when it comes from Canada? :D

Black Dog
04-26-2014, 11:04 AM
This is not a rant. Just trying to get your input as to why it is so hard to sell stuff these days.

Personally I have had no luck selling parts lately on the forums. Even new parts with a good - or do I think - discount from new and I include shipping of course. I also see a lot of great frames in excellent condition that linger in the classifieds for weeks or months and the seller almost has to give it away in the end after a dozen bumps. If you have a brand new in box CK headset you will probably sell it fast if you make it at $70 shipped otherwise good luck. I remember a few months ago it wasn't so tough.

So what's your take? Market in its softest spot right now? We already spent all our hard earned money earlier this Spring? Nobody gives a damn when it comes from Canada? :D

Not a from Canada problem. I think most folks have made their spring purchases to get ready for spring and the market is soft. It will pick up again, it always does every year during the latter part of winter.

FlashUNC
04-26-2014, 11:08 AM
I blame all you short people when I'm trying to downsize my frames in a 58cm top tube.

chengher87
04-26-2014, 11:10 AM
Not a from Canada problem. I think most folks have made their spring purchases to get ready for spring and the market is soft. It will pick up again, it always does every year during the latter part of winter.

Couldn't agree more. I purchased a lot in the winter for Spring builds (and mostly out of boredom from not riding). I'm currently not in the market for much since I am still testing out the builds to see how they feel (both mechanically and comfort-wise).

My Spring-Summer spending is usually on cruise control anyway and mostly out of necessity, due to failures, crashes, wearing out, etc..

Plus, I need ~53cm top tube, 165mm cranks, 38-40cm handlebars, you get the picture, I'm short, .. and as we've already seen with many threads about the height average here....you mofos are TALL!

happycampyer
04-26-2014, 11:12 AM
I think in general more people who are into bikes enough to find their way to bike forums are in N-1 mode than N+1 mode. As an indicator, look at the ratio of new bikes to recycled bikes in the galleries.

bluesea
04-26-2014, 11:16 AM
This always happens after long Armstrong threads in GD. Armstrong fans say screw the forum and take a break but they always come back. I don't blame them.

professerr
04-26-2014, 11:17 AM
Ultegra 6800 and Ribble.

benitosan1972
04-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Spring cleaning?

Perhaps people are trying to sell rather than buy in this season.

Just a hunch.

And the market seems flooded with selling aka buyer's market.

Dead Man
04-26-2014, 11:20 AM
As a purchaser of used parts, I'm totally OK with this situation.

MattTuck
04-26-2014, 11:27 AM
I don't spend much time over there in the classifieds, but I have serious concerns about the strength of the economy in general... this (cutting back on superfluous bicycle builds) may be a manifestation of people's uncertainty about the future.

Charles M
04-26-2014, 11:29 AM
hmmm...

The last 3 things I sold sold in hours.

One of em wasn't even in the sale section.

wooly
04-26-2014, 11:33 AM
Ultegra 6800 and Ribble.

There's some truth in this. When I'm in the market I look in the classifieds then cross check prices on ribble, shiny, merlin, etc. if the classifieds price isn't competitive I make an offer. Many times that offer isn't accepted so I buy from across the pond.

Sellers need to make sure their prices are competitive. Many times I see used group prices rivaling new prices from these online shops.

dpk501
04-26-2014, 11:42 AM
I agree that most have probably bought what they need for the season and focusing on riding now but there is always a buyer for something, just be patient.

As an aside I have something I need to buy.

Wanted: dignity. Recently discovered I have lost this whilst wearing my racing kit and looking like the stay puff marshmallow man. Will entertain all offers.

Happy Saturday! Time to go ride!

Tony
04-26-2014, 11:43 AM
There's some truth in this. When I'm in the market I look in the classifieds then cross check prices on ribble, shiny, merlin, etc. if the classifieds price isn't competitive I make an offer. Many times that offer isn't accepted so I buy from across the pond.

Sellers need to make sure their prices are competitive. Many times I see used group prices rivaling new prices from these online shops.

And, it would be nice once you make an offer you get a reply back from the seller. Twice I have made a reasonable offer and was willing to pay more. However did not received a reply back on the first offer.

TBDSeattle
04-26-2014, 11:47 AM
I don't spend much time over there in the classifieds, but I have serious concerns about the strength of the economy in general... this (cutting back on superfluous bicycle builds) may be a manifestation of people's uncertainty about the future.

^^^ this. I think there is no way that the stock markets will repeat the run up of prices from last year. I am putting more into savings and anticipating slow growth for the next two years and trying to be happy with the current dozen bikes.

saab2000
04-26-2014, 11:52 AM
It's a buyer's market with used stuff. That's the long and short of it.

I'm selling some stuff on eBay and was disappointed in the prices I saw for similar equipment. I set my price lower and I'll be happy when it's all gone.

I don't feel quite so bad because I buy a lot of my stuff used too.

Right now I'm trying to downsize my fleet, one part at a time. It's a slow process, but I really won't miss the stuff when it's gone.

benitosan1972
04-26-2014, 11:58 AM
hmmm...

The last 3 things I sold sold in hours.

One of em wasn't even in the sale section.

When you offer a set of Madfibers for $500... Yeah, that'll sell FAST! :banana:

*Rapha, IF's, Moots, Pegorettis, and Campy have no problems selling here! :)

54ny77
04-26-2014, 11:58 AM
We should create a Paceline Forum Price Index.

Is there a leading parts indicator?

;)

I think in general more people who are into bikes enough to find their way to bike forums are in N-1 mode than N+1 mode. As an indicator, look at the ratio of new bikes to recycled bikes in the galleries.

dave thompson
04-26-2014, 12:04 PM
IMO, it's the dynamics of the forum itself. There's a lot more new guys here now and most of them seem to be sellers. The Paceline classified section is probably one the most widely read classifieds of any cycling forum. We've gotten away from the 'special interest' style of forum that the Serotta forum was and we've gone mainstream, with lotsa mainstream stuff for sale. Same stuff that is being sold everywhere else by everyone else. Sort of a victim of our own success I'd say.

As the oldtimers age out (one of those would be me) our tastes, priorities and lifestyles change. We sell stuff instead of buy it. I just donated a van load of bike stuff to our local community bike shop and as I sell my frames, I'll part out the components, thus being just like everyone else.

I also think that part of our 'corporate memory' harkens back to the olden days when the prices here were genuine deals as items were bought, sold and given among 'friends'. The expectation of that lingers but the reality of it is no longer there.

gavingould
04-26-2014, 12:06 PM
I've made a couple purchases in the last week here - extra clothing and shoes though, not parts. I bought a new frameset, new gruppo and build kit, etc through my LBS last month... After trying to get what I felt were fair sale prices here on my old stuff which was tough in the post-holiday time, most went to ebay. I understand though, bad timing and relatively small market here.

Sometimes what's on FS just isn't what folks are looking for at the moment. I know when I'm looking for a lightly-used thing and no one happens to have one up for grabs in my size, I just need to wait for the right seller to drop by or post a WTB, occasionally one will appear.

Ralph
04-26-2014, 12:07 PM
Also.....I've learned that phrases and words like......perfect condition, excellent, low miles, like new, just used a few times, etc......don't mean the same to some as it does to me. So I'm generally leary of anything used. If buying new, either US or UK, is only a little bit more, I'm buying new. And with PayPal offering 6 months no inerest to pay for stuff over $99, and on company web sites, not just E bay, I suspect that draws a lot of business away from here.

saab2000
04-26-2014, 12:11 PM
There was a bit of a storm in a teacup a month or so ago when I advertised a pair of Campagnolo Ergo levers here. I set the price high and some people were offended, thinking I was playing the market or trying to use the forum as a bidding tool. I wasn't, but I did overestimate the value of the levers. I got no bites so it went on eBay and sold for less than I had been hoping for but not an altogether bad price. I certainly hope the new owner is satisfied.

eBay will generally give you a true market value for an item. It's got enormous exposure.

Set your price lower than everyone else and wait. If it doesn't sell, it's too expensive.

I don't miss my old stuff at all and am happy to have less stuff sitting around. There's more coming. Some will be here and some will be on the 'bay.

Climb01742
04-26-2014, 12:24 PM
My two cents...

Broadly, I agree it may be influenced by the economy and uncertainty about future income, job prospects and other parts of our lives needing the money instead, such as savings, college funding or home repairs.

And personally, where I was once happy to take a flyer on buying frames or wheels or parts and live with being disappointed as just part of the deal, now I'm much less likely to experiment. Partly it's financial and partly it's just being tired of chasing unicorns that almost always don't exist.

biker72
04-26-2014, 12:46 PM
Unless the initial price is at giveaway level, people wait for a few price reductions before buying.

The items I've purchased here have all been better than my expectations. I'm still riding a complete bike I bought here a number of years ago. The clothing and bike parts I've purchased are all still in my possession.

xeladragon
04-26-2014, 12:56 PM
I don't sell often, but when I do, I'll do some price checking first (e.g., eBay sold items) before I list. I'd like to think that my asking prices are "forum friendly" (just trying to return the favor since I've frequently gotten great deals here as a buyer). The last two items I listed (CAAD10 and two Romin Evo saddles) sold within a day or two with almost zero price negotiation.

Anyway, I agree that it's probably a combination of factors: the desirability and condition of your item(s), the economy, the season, etc. And sometimes, what doesn't sell easily here will sell quickly elsewhere (e.g., Craigslist). Just depends...

brando
04-26-2014, 01:03 PM
I agree with the spring cleaning theory. When even the craigslist low-ballers aren't biting, I know it's a quiet market time and need to be patient for it to heat up again.

Dead Man
04-26-2014, 01:03 PM
I'm new here... but I would imagine the owner of this board would prefer the classified section be a great place for "bro deals" between real enthusiasts, not a place to make money.

That's what eBay is for.

Just a guess though.

cfox
04-26-2014, 01:20 PM
I'm new here... but I would imagine the owner of this board would prefer the classified section be a great place for "bro deals" between real enthusiasts, not a place to make money.

That's what eBay is for.

Just a guess though.

the problem is some of the "bros" are guys with the post minimum that are looking for stupid deals.

My idea of how the classifieds are supposed to work: sell something fairly described at a fair price, slightly below ebay value.

Be an adult. It's not a flea market. Don't expect a reply to a cheesy low-ball offer. Don't make cheesy low-ball offers. Expect that a seller would rather keep an item or give it away rather than sell it to a relative (or complete) stranger for half the asking price. Expect that the seller isn't desperate and will be eating cat food if the item doesn't sell. If I'm offering something for a fair $500 and someone offers $200 (it's happened), you won't hear back from me.

Dead Man
04-26-2014, 01:27 PM
Word.. I'm not quite sure if people are trying to be insulting when they offer half, or even less, than your asking price, but it definitely is.

I've already gotten some pretty righteous deals off this board, and it's been helpful in getting my family into the sport. My wife and oldest son are now cycling solid bikes with a degree of enthusiasm, and I owe it in part to being able to gobble up really good deals on used parts, here and from actual bros.

tuscanyswe
04-26-2014, 01:54 PM
I dont know why but its definitely tougher to sell gear than it used to be a few years ago. Find the best online price around deduct 20% n you may get some nibbles, or not.. Whats weird is that i also feel there is less gear that i want for sale. Doesent make sense!!

Now where are all the good looking bikes in my size at reasonable prices at? :)

OtayBW
04-26-2014, 02:27 PM
This is not a rant. Just trying to get your input as to why it is so hard to sell stuff these days.I look here every day. You're obviously not posting what I'm looking for!! ;)

shovelhd
04-26-2014, 02:34 PM
There's so many flippers here with Google alerts it's amusing. Anything that is posted with a forum friendly price gets snapped up within minutes. So if your stuff isn't moving, it's not posted at a forum friendly price.

Rada
04-26-2014, 02:46 PM
I thought Google Alerts was played.

AgilisMerlin
04-26-2014, 02:50 PM
don't ask / : )

Joachim
04-26-2014, 02:56 PM
I've personally experienced new guys wanting rock bottom ridiculous deals, but at the same time sell their stuff at much higher than eBay listings.

Black Dog
04-26-2014, 03:16 PM
So why don't we increase to minimum post count to make it prohibitive to the classifieds parasites?

rccardr
04-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Market. It's ALWAYS the Market.

Right now sucks for sellers, pretty darn good for buyers. Being at both ends of that statement myself, the situation is both pretty darn good and...sucky.

rnhood
04-26-2014, 03:29 PM
A popular item, with low miles is worth between 40-50% of the price (discounted or otherwise) you pay for a new item. Remember many cycling items lose the warranty on a second owner. If you can't sell something, then this is very likely the reason.

A rather unpopular item (MadFiber wheels for instance) is worth much less. Perhaps between 20-30%.

jonk
04-26-2014, 03:36 PM
So why don't we increase to minimum post count to make it prohibitive to the classifieds parasites?

Don't do that...i've been here for 2 1/2 years and i'm only one post away.

tuscanyswe
04-26-2014, 03:42 PM
A popular item, with low miles is worth between 40-50% of the price (discounted or otherwise) you pay for a new item. Remember many cycling items lose the warranty on a second owner. If you can't sell something, then this is very likely the reason.

A rather unpopular item (MadFiber wheels for instance) is worth much less. Perhaps between 20-30%.

The modell that an item is worth a percentage of the new cost rarely works. As a rule its pretty useless imo.

MattTuck
04-26-2014, 03:43 PM
There's so many flippers here with Google alerts it's amusing. Anything that is posted with a forum friendly price gets snapped up within minutes. So if your stuff isn't moving, it's not posted at a forum friendly price.

Market. It's ALWAYS the Market.

I'm surprised there's enough spread to justify flipping. Between the hassle of shipping, paypal fees, time involved, you'd think any profit would be eaten up.

There's always the option of listing it cheap, but only selling to forum members you know/like. Might take longer to move, but it won't leave a bitter aftertaste in your mouth.

54ny77
04-26-2014, 04:02 PM
what's a google alert?

Black Dog
04-26-2014, 04:10 PM
what's a google alert?

I too would like to know.

krhea
04-26-2014, 04:20 PM
I've had no problem whatsoever selling nearly everything I've listed in the past couple months. The stuff that didn't sell must not be things forum members want or need OR I've priced it to high. Either keep dropping the price until it sells, toss it to Ebay or put it back into the "extra parts" box.

KRhea

josephr
04-26-2014, 04:48 PM
I'm spending more time on my bike than working on it now that spring is here.
Joe

FlashUNC
04-26-2014, 04:55 PM
what's a google alert?

I too would like to know.

http://bit.ly/sq26dW

thegunner
04-26-2014, 05:07 PM
There's always the option of listing it cheap, but only selling to forum members you know/like. Might take longer to move, but it won't leave a bitter aftertaste in your mouth.

yep. i usually list a price, which if someone offers to pay is great - but if you've been around for a few years, and you're someone i like, it's rare that i'd expect them to pay that price :)

PQJ
04-26-2014, 05:26 PM
I blame Lance. Johan a little, but mostly Lance.

jlwdm
04-26-2014, 07:28 PM

I just don't see the economy concerns. Maybe it is because I live in Texas where the economy is robust, and there are numerous opportunities. I also believe there are always opportunities for people who work hard.

I used to have bikes in three different states, now three bikes in two states. All have Campagnolo 11 speed and other excellent components and I just don't don't find myself looking at bike components anymore - here or elsewhere. I had some H Plus Son Archetype silver rims built on silver WI hubs by Joe Young in December, and I haven't even gone to pick them up.

Now I am in a cycle where I spend too much time on watch forums instead.

Jeff

shovelhd
04-26-2014, 07:53 PM

Buyers, yes. Sellers, no, and I know of no way to separate the two. Besides, give it a few hours, and they'd find a way around it.

KidWok
04-26-2014, 08:03 PM
What's this forum friendly pricing you speak off?:banana:

Tai

kramnnim
04-26-2014, 08:11 PM
And, it would be nice once you make an offer you get a reply back from the seller. Twice I have made a reasonable offer and was willing to pay more. However did not received a reply back on the first offer.

I think this might be me...amd I'm sorry, have been meaning to reply with an answer to a question and keep forgetting. :(

Bradford
04-26-2014, 08:11 PM
This is what I do.

I've received a few nasty emails from people who thought no one could have replied faster than they did, but I only sell to people who I recognize as good contributors to the forum.

avalonracing
04-26-2014, 08:24 PM
Offer a well-used pair of unwashed Rapha bibs and people well pay full retail plus shipping and PayPal fees for the honor of possessing them.

coylifut
04-26-2014, 08:46 PM
I don't post much anymore because I don't find what I have to say to be particularly interesting. I rarely sell anything, but often buy stuff. It's my feeling that folks are simply asking too much for gear. Good, lightly used gear that is cosmetically appealing is worth about 50% retail or 30% off of UK prices. Once you buy it, mount it and ride it, it's used. Plain and simple. The reason why I don't sell much is when I do list, which has been quite a while, I immediately get several very low ball offers. I'd much rather give the stuff away. I receive more karma points than dollars.

zmudshark
04-26-2014, 08:50 PM
I didn't read all four pages, but I think there are a lot of cheap MF's from bikeforums.net here these days, and most of us regulars are looking for newer stuff, and not willing to buy used cassettes, 8s, Open Pro's, etc.

I just sold a pile of vintage wheels and freewheels to an old time member who will actually use them. I could have gotten a lot more on eBay at a lot more effort... Glad to pass them on...
On the other hand, some stuff that I offered at a really good price to the Forum with no result has been a gold mine on eBay.

Bottom line, when it comes to buying, we are all cheapskates.

pbarry
04-26-2014, 09:12 PM
If you got your asking on those wheels, you did well, friend. :)

gomango
04-26-2014, 09:12 PM

Especially when I start adding up college tuition for these two lugs that are eating us out of house and home. I won't stop building a project bike or two, but I think I'm better off focusing on the engine versus a new bike when the mood strikes.

jtakeda
04-26-2014, 09:20 PM
On the other hand, some stuff that I offered at a really good price to the Forum with no result has been a gold mine on eBay.

This. I'm somewhat surprised the only things I've sold here have been small things at a decent price when I've posted complete bikes at ridiculous steals and no one snagged.

OtayBW
04-26-2014, 10:04 PM
What always surprises me are those folks who buy something, use it for, say, a year, and then expect to sell it to 'get out of it what they paid for it' or close. :rolleyes:

zmudshark
04-26-2014, 10:26 PM
If you got your asking on those wheels, you did well, friend. :)
Nope, gave away the freewheels, because.

lonoeightysix
04-27-2014, 08:46 AM
We should create a Paceline Forum Price Index.

Is there a leading parts indicator?

;)

i recall a bikesnob blog where the health of the general economy could be linked to the ebay selling price of a used black chris king 1 1/8" threadless headset.

rapid development (planned obsolescence) of drivetrain technology is driving down the price of used gear. look at how long MTB's were in the 9 speed era. now we're into 11 speed rears.

Lewis Moon
04-27-2014, 08:55 AM
I blame all you short people when I'm trying to downsize my frames in a 58cm top tube.

no...you're short.

54ny77
04-27-2014, 09:03 AM
used to be campy vs. shimano.

then sram came along.

and then various electronic iterations.

and now 10 speed vs. 11.

to me that all means dura ace 7800 just keeps getting cheaper, which is a good thing. (and thanks to the forum member who recently sold me a lovely 7800 mini group--that thing was near perfect!)

;)

i recall a bikesnob blog where the health of the general economy could be linked to the ebay selling price of a used black chris king 1 1/8" threadless headset.

rapid development (planned obsolescence) of drivetrain technology is driving down the price of used gear. look at how long MTB's were in the 9 speed era. now we're into 11 speed rears.

Liv2RideHard
04-28-2014, 07:55 AM
I think the classifieds here have morphed into something else. I have seen it said before. People scour these classifieds looking for deals and want good or "as new" parts...but are not willing to pay for it. People are cheap. Some people on this forum are really really cheap and flat out will completely low ball you on stuff knowing there is no place on earth it can be found any cheaper. A lot of folks troll the classifieds and have no intention of paying you a fair price for your goods. I have ignored countless PMs with just ridiculous low ball offers. Then I hear from the low baller..."why haven't you responded to my PM?" Make me a legit offer and I will respond.

Look at all the WTB posts in the classifieds. Folks post WTB this and that using words in their titles like cheap and inexpensive etc. Anymore, I don't sell some items in our classifieds section. People need to realize this place isn't here just to buy cheap bike parts. Some of the WTB's are laughable when you see how little people want to pay for carbon this, campagnolo that or shimano xyz. There is cheap and then there is just get real already and go buy what you want somewhere else new...b/c I wouldn't want to pay that little for such a used critical part anyway.

Admiral Ackbar
04-28-2014, 08:08 AM
not to mention nearly every single frame classified having at least one person chime in and say "if only it was 1cm bigger!11" "oh man, its just 5mm to big for me" "too bad its not the colour i want"

being lowballed is just part of selling things online though, craigslist, classifieds, ebay. doesn't matter where, you're going to get lowballed.

FlashUNC
04-28-2014, 08:18 AM
no...you're short.

I disagree. Clearly you're too tall.

tmf
04-28-2014, 08:18 AM
For me, my problem is that I'm at the happy place where I'm satisfied with the bikes I have and I only need the occasional "consumables" (tires, chains, cassettes) that I'll buy new. I bought three frames here on the forum (C50, 585, Crux Elite) and several of the components I needed. All three bikes turned out great and now it's just up to me to ride them.

I still look through the classifieds and there are definitely nice shiny things that catch my eye, but I really don't need anything right now. It feels kind of strange for me!

bluesea
04-28-2014, 08:54 AM
...but I think there are a lot of cheap MF's from bikeforums.net here these days,

hahahahah

Tony
04-28-2014, 09:23 AM
I think the classifieds here have morphed into something else. I have seen it said before. People scour these classifieds looking for deals and want good or "as new" parts...but are not willing to pay for it. People are cheap. Some people on this forum are really really cheap and flat out will completely low ball you on stuff knowing there is no place on earth it can be found any cheaper. A lot of folks troll the classifieds and have no intention of paying you a fair price for your goods. I have ignored countless PMs with just ridiculous low ball offers. Then I hear from the low baller..."why haven't you responded to my PM?" Make me a legit offer and I will respond.

Any time someone makes an offer, that means they are interested in what you're selling. Unless it's completely out of the ballpark, It would be nice if the seller responded with a reasonable counter-offer. Those bids should always be seen as starting points for negotiation. Plus, you'll never sell anything by ignoring interested buyers.

leooooo
04-28-2014, 09:43 AM
What always surprises me are those folks who buy something, use it for, say, a year, and then expect to sell it to 'get out of it what they paid for it' or close. :rolleyes:

Lololol plus eleventy billion
I just click back on the browser when I encounter those situations. Like time and usage didn't decrease the items value at all cause they only ride on yellow brick roads.

tuscanyswe
04-28-2014, 09:56 AM
This. I'm somewhat surprised the only things I've sold here have been small things at a decent price when I've posted complete bikes at ridiculous steals and no one snagged.

Think many here are a picky bunch who like to build the bikes exactly to our own spec.

fiataccompli
04-28-2014, 10:20 AM
I've had nothing but positive experiences purchasing stuff from the forum. Sometimes I have asked if a lesser price or "bundled" price is acceptable and if I have ever had a PM ignored (of any sort), I don't recall. My take is usually stuff is realistically priced vs. crazy ebay priced, but usually a bit higher than a cycling buddy would want if you happened to strike up a deal face to face....but for the hassle of shipping, paypal, etc. that seems appropriate.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

ceolwulf
04-28-2014, 11:37 AM
I feel like I'm part of the problem here. I have everything I need so hardly ever look at the classifieds anymore, thus reducing demand. Sorry about that.

DukeHorn
04-28-2014, 12:20 PM
Any time someone makes an offer, that means they are interested in what you're selling. Unless it's completely out of the ballpark, It would be nice if the seller responded with a reasonable counter-offer. Those bids should always be seen as starting points for negotiation. Plus, you'll never sell anything by ignoring interested buyers.

Totally disagree. If someone disrespects you by giving you a lowball offer, I'm under no obligation to reply. I sold a house in Austin once where someone came under my purchase price after I had updated and the market had gone up. I didn't give that MF the courtesy of a reply. Why bother? I sold the house for 45k more a week later.

I'm not sure if you tracked the story last month of a philosophy postdoc who had her offer withdrawn after she attempted to negotiate her package for a tenured position. If she knew how to negotiate instead of presenting a list of demands, her offer wouldn't have been rescinded. If someone's tone is insulting, I don't know why it's incumbent on the seller to put in a reasonable counteroffer. Why don't you start with a reasonable offer? Of course this all begs the question of whether the offerer thinks he's in the ballpark. If you don't get a reply, you probably aren't.

MadRocketSci
04-28-2014, 12:20 PM

+1 I've made comments about this in the past....illustrates that sellers can be "cheap" as well...

flyhippy
04-28-2014, 12:24 PM
I always TRY to sell my bikes here, but don't always succeed. They are ALWAYS FFP. I can't quite say the reason. But, I also simultaneously post on craigslist and Ebay for more money. You have to post for more on CL, because you are going to get lowballed. But typically an easy, meet me here with cash and take the bike, kind of sale. Ebay is awful, but you get the most money. Then you pay large sale and PP fees, deal with the shakedown once they recieve the product and its not brand new...

Here, folks generally understand the way used bikes work. You take good photos, and I've never had an issue. Communication is straightforward (sometimes folks ask for some off the wall measurements, but its a niche forum), as are payment, shipping and feedback. Plus, no fees to speak of. Its a very valuable resource.

But alas, often the bikes I list here, I'll get contacted on local CL ad by the Pros Closet who offers me more than I'm even listing the bike for here. In contrast, my Atlanta sold within hours of posting today. My SLX Serotta with full durace and open pros wheelset I can't seem to get $500 for, on the Serotta forums of all places. So another bike goes to the pros closet.

Tony
04-28-2014, 12:36 PM
Totally disagree. If someone disrespects you by giving you a lowball offer, I'm under no obligation to reply. I sold a house in Austin once where someone came under my purchase price after I had updated and the market had gone up. I didn't give that MF the courtesy of a reply. Why bother? I sold the house for 45k more a week later.

If someone's tone is insulting, I don't know why it's incumbent on the seller to put in a reasonable counteroffer. Why don't you start with a reasonable offer? Of course this all begs the question of whether the offerer thinks he's in the ballpark. If you don't get a reply, you probably aren't.

"Disrespects you"? Really not sure how that applies to a offer, no reason to take it personally.
Most folks here are selling a used item. This is not retail and negotiations is normal. There is nothing insulting about a buyer trying to get a great deal. A low offer from someone who notices your item (maybe not selling) should not be an insult, it's just business. In the end, it's not personal, just a transaction.

wooly
04-28-2014, 01:10 PM
If my offer is less by a good margin that the offer price, I ALWAYS give them a reason and say "not meant as a low ball but..." Typically, it's a piece of equipment that can be found new for close to or cheaper than the offer price.

I also find that if it's a long time forum member whom I know I am more likely to give a bro deal too.

fiataccompli
04-28-2014, 01:10 PM
I'm never offended by an offer I don't want to take. I guess maybe if I were a prostitute? .....

phcollard
04-28-2014, 01:15 PM
"Disrespects you"? Really not sure how that applies to a offer, no reason to take it personally...

It's all a question of form. When for instance I list a frame for $500 in my local classifieds I can be sure than no more than two hours later I will receive an email saying "$200". That's all. Dude... I may be an old school Euro but can't you start with "hello" and end your message with "thank you"? No way I will ever lose my time replying to that.

But... If you are nice and tell me respectfully that you believe my price is too high in regard to the current market, elaborate on it, and that you would be happy to give a good home to my frame and be kind and all that I will for sure consider.

That said here on the forums most folks are highly courteous, which is something I greatly appreciate. Heck I have had such bad experiences with the locals that I prefer to list a frame here and deal with packaging, shipping and everything than to deal with a local!

eippo1
04-28-2014, 01:16 PM
I always TRY to sell my bikes here, but don't always succeed. They are ALWAYS FFP. I can't quite say the reason. But, I also simultaneously post on craigslist and Ebay for more money. You have to post for more on CL, because you are going to get lowballed. But typically an easy, meet me here with cash and take the bike, kind of sale. Ebay is awful, but you get the most money. Then you pay large sale and PP fees, deal with the shakedown once they recieve the product and its not brand new...

Here, folks generally understand the way used bikes work. You take good photos, and I've never had an issue. Communication is straightforward (sometimes folks ask for some off the wall measurements, but its a niche forum), as are payment, shipping and feedback. Plus, no fees to speak of. Its a very valuable resource.

I generally agree with this. You sell here because people understand what they are getting and will put it to good use. If you want max dollar, you go to ebay. I don't mind selling things at a loss because I've gotten my use out of them and I'd rather have someone finally complete their build and ride the heck out of it than go to some joe schmo who will flip it on CL or deal with ebay.

I've also been on the flip side of that equation and have gained 3 bikes from here at crazy good prices (and one was how I discovered this place to begin with. All are well loved, doted upon, rode the hell out of, and tinkered with mechanically for giggles even when there is nothing wrong.

fiataccompli
04-28-2014, 01:20 PM
I once sold a car to a guy who started out emailing numbers. ..roughly 1/2 the asking price. I just deleted the first 2 increasingly higher number "offers" and then later replied simply "warmer"...ultimately, he bought the car that afternoon for pretty much exactly what I was expecting to sell it for (and, I would say was fair)...so you never know, some people just communicate differently. This guy turned out to be a super nice, but busy, guy.

54ny77
04-28-2014, 01:26 PM
i prefer to sell things in exchange for goats or farm fresh eggs.

if the buyer can't come up with that, the hell with 'em.

Joachim
04-28-2014, 01:36 PM
i prefer to sell things in exchange for goats or farm fresh eggs.

if the buyer can't come up with that, the hell with 'em.

I've goats... Pretty much minty, brushed....

Joachim
04-28-2014, 01:39 PM
To the low ballers out there.... Once you low ball me and I reply that its already sold for the asking price, don't complain about how you "should've jumped on it". Another thing.... if you say I'll take it and I give you payment info, don't ask then "will you take X lower amount?". Thats weird.

jh_on_the_cape
04-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Classifieds ain't what they used to be...
But still some sick deals.
And some people trying to sell stuff for more than they paid.
Overall, a bunch of people have been very nice to me with getting parts I needed here and there.

FlashUNC
04-28-2014, 01:45 PM
All comes back to the Golden Rule really.

And if someone's offering you a bro deal, don't be a douche about it.

roydyates
04-29-2014, 06:45 AM

There is definitely a complete bike discount. My impression is that most people here already have a group and wheels they want to use and are looking for just the right frame.

mhespenheide
04-29-2014, 09:21 AM
There is definitely a complete bike discount. My impression is that most people here already have a group and wheels they want to use and are looking for just the right frame.

No question. And, as pointed out above, we're picky. As one of those taller fellows (but not as tall as some here), if I look at a complete bike I'm immediately thinking about the fact that I'm going to want to put 46cm bars and 177.5mm cranks on, scare up a pair of my favorite pedals and saddle, etc. To say nothing of the fact that shipping a complete bike has gotten significantly more expensive than it was a few years ago.

As a potential seller, it's the shipping that gets to me. I've seen some WTB ads that are in such a low neighborhood that I'd essentially be giving something away. Makes me think that the OP should just prowl their local CL.

I still love the browsing and "the hunt", though.

merlinmurph
04-29-2014, 11:13 AM

Sometimes, those lowball offers are accepted - that's why people make them.
I have friends that threw out a real lowball offer on a second home, and it was accepted. Totally unexpected.

Don't take it personally, "disrespect" is a bit strong. Reminds me of when a pro athlete pulls out the whole "disrespect" attitude during contract negotialtions.

pdmtong
04-29-2014, 12:11 PM
It's really pretty simple. if you want it sold, then the market/buyers at the time will speak. If your price is high, it sits. If your price is low or the item is wanted/needed, you get PMs.

Sometimes things I listed for weeks got sold in hours when re-listed a few months later. Timing.

My pricing is all over the place. sometimes i want to recover all or part of my purchase price. other times I want to make some money on a hot item. but most of the time I pick something reasonable so I can turn existing inventory into cash so i can buy new stuff. sickness. right?

Offers are not irritating. What is irritating is people who say they want it but never reply. Or folks who post a wtb who do not reply to my "offer". I realise we are all busy but if a conversation is initiated, at least have the courtesy to respond or be timely in response.

eBAUMANN
04-29-2014, 12:11 PM
you guys still talkin about this? haha

its just a matter of common courtesy…if you make a lowball offer, chances are you are aware that your offer is well, one of lowball designation….maybe a little disclaimer would help smooth things over? keep it from offending the seller?

"hey i know this is kinda a lowball but its really all i can justify spending on _____ right now, maybe i can return the favor on something you need in the future? just figured i would get in touch, i certainly understand if you need to get more for it. thanks either way!"

something like that maybe?

I've found that being nice, writing complete sentences…ya know, acting like a decent human being…can go quite a long way both in buying and selling.

Just my 2c.

eippo1
04-29-2014, 12:29 PM

its just a matter of common courtesy…if you make a lowball offer, chances are you are aware that your offer is well, one of lowball designation….maybe a little disclaimer would help smooth things over? keep it from offending the seller?

"hey i know this is kinda a lowball but its really all i can justify spending on _____ right now, maybe i can return the favor on something you need in the future? just figured i would get in touch, i certainly understand if you need to get more for it. thanks either way!"

I'd agree this goes a long way. I've sold a few things for less that I was previously willing because the person making the offer asked nicely, gave me a reason and seemed like a cool person. Usually all I need.

MadRocketSci
04-29-2014, 12:42 PM
It's really pretty simple. if you want it sold, then the market/buyers at the time will speak. If your price is high, it sits. If your price is low or the item is wanted/needed, you get PMs.

Sometimes things I listed for weeks got sold in hours when re-listed a few months later. Timing.

My pricing is all over the place. sometimes i want to recover all or part of my purchase price. other times I want to make some money on a hot item. but most of the time I pick something reasonable so I can turn existing inventory into cash so i can buy new stuff. sickness. right?

Offers are not irritating. What is irritating is people who say they want it but never reply. Or folks who post a wtb who do not reply to my "offer". I realise we are all busy but if a conversation is initiated, at least have the courtesy to respond or be timely in response.

adding to this, things go for low prices when sellers have limited time for selling. that's the way it goes. if sellers want more then set a firm price and leave the time open ended, eventually someone who really wants the item will be willing to pay that price. interested buyers just have to search the forum to find the item. otherwise if it's gotta go by this weekend then don't expect to get a "reasonable" price...unless you get lucky.

phcollard
04-29-2014, 01:10 PM

I'm saving this paragraph for the next time I'm getting in touch with you :D:D:D

Joachim
04-29-2014, 01:19 PM
I'm saving this paragraph for the next time I'm getting in touch with you :D:D:D

:).... I'll stop reading after "kinda lowball"..... Although with regulars I tend to go for karma points. The one where I really stop reading is "I joined to sell stuff on here and I want to buy this for X amount:...

shovelhd
04-29-2014, 01:21 PM
I'd agree this goes a long way. I've sold a few things for less that I was previously willing because the person making the offer asked nicely, gave me a reason and seemed like a cool person. Usually all I need.

Flipper bait.

Tony
04-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Reminds me of when a pro athlete pulls out the whole "disrespect" attitude during contract negotialtions.

While working in the prison system as a instructor I would hear that all the time from inmates.
I started using that term every time a inmate student talked out of turn in class, "don't disrespect me". Lots of laughs from everyone : )

fiataccompli
04-29-2014, 02:07 PM
love it when a noun morphs into a verb! Maybe we can fellowship over that.

DRZRM
04-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Yeah, +1.

I take the point that no offer is offensive (though I don't really agree) but there are certainly ways of offering that rub people the wrong way. A nice PM explaining your offer, and wishing someone good luck in the sale regardless can go a long way. It's not just being polite, but it likely gets your offer accepted more often.

I've found that being nice, writing complete sentences…ya know, acting like a decent human being…can go quite a long way both in buying and selling.

Just my 2c.

brando
04-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Lowballs don't really offend me, I just don't take them seriously. I dunno that a song-and-dance is going to change my mind. However, I have given the benefit of the doubt to an especially enthusiastic lowballer or two, and engaged in a email discussion just to say that I'll wait and see how the listing goes first before reposting at a lower price to everyone, not just the "special snowflake". ;)

wc1934
04-29-2014, 08:38 PM
I'm never offended by an offer I don't want to take. I guess maybe if I were a prostitute? .....

Guy to girl: Would you have sex with me for 100 bucks?
Girl: yes
Guy: would you have sex with me for 50 bucks?
Girl: yes
Guy: would you have sex with me for 10 bucks
Girl: What do you think I am, a prostitute?
Guy: thats already been determined - now we are just haggling about the price

jimoots
04-29-2014, 08:53 PM

Just my 2c.

Whenever I make an offer that's lower than the asking price I always explain my rationale. Seems to help oil the wheels of communication - a lot of people don't wanna party if you just offer a figure and leave it at that.

I also find that if the seller is asking an 'above the market' price, quoting prices from eBay's completed/sold listing function can help argue your case.

And yep complete sentances, creating a bit of a narrative helps.

pdmtong
04-29-2014, 09:04 PM
ebay - take your chances. so the prices there are a data point but for me do not exactly set the market price.

there are folks here who have established reputations as both contributors and sellers. If their price is higher than ebay, so what. I would rather pay a bit more with the certainty I get what I wanted than flip a coin on some random auction. sometimes, those same folks are priced lower than ebay. FFP - great!
Always case by case.