PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: New England Forum folks....

William
02-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Looks like we've got a Nor-Easter on our hands. Get your rides in early on Saturday because it may be a few days or more before we can get out again.

William

...WINTER STORM WATCH NOW IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON...

THIS WINTER STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR ALL OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND EXCEPT FOR SOUTH COASTAL AND SOUTHEAST COASTAL AREAS WHERE A BLIZZARD WATCH HAS BEEN POSTED.

WHILE THERE IS STILL UNCERTAINTY TO THE EXACT TRACK...THE POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR A SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACROSS A LARGE PORTION OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND.

SNOW IS EXPECTED TO REACH CONNECTICUT...RHODE ISLAND AND SOUTHEAST MASSACHUSETTS LATE SATURDAY AFTERNOON OR EVENING THEN SPREAD SLOWLY NORTH OVERNIGHT. THE HEAVIEST SNOW SHOULD FALL OVERNIGHT SATURDAY NIGHT INTO MIDDAY SUNDAY.

LATEST INDICATIONS ARE THAT AN AXIS OF 8 TO 15 INCHES OF SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS CONNECTICUT...RHODE ISLAND AND CENTRAL AND EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS FROM THE WORCESTER HILLS TO TAUNTON...BOSTON NORTH TO THE MERRIMACK VALLEY. LESSER AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED IN FAR NORTHWEST MASSACHUSETTS AND SOUTHWEST NEW HAMPSHIRE.

AT THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM SUNDAY MORNING...IT IS VERY POSSIBLE THAT SNOWFALL RATES WILL REACH 2 TO 3 INCHES PER HOUR AT TIMES ALONG WITH A FEW RUMBLES OF THUNDER NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION. GUSTY NORTHEAST WINDS MAY CREATE AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WITH POOR VISIBILITY.

NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE IN THE HARTFORD... WORCESTER...BOSTON AND PROVIDENCE AREAS DURING THE HEIGHT OF THIS STORM AS VISIBILITY DUE TO FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW IS REDUCED TO BELOW 1/2 MILE AT TIMES.

THIS IS A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS WINTER STORM. TRAVEL MAY BE SERIOUSLY IMPACTED BY THE COMBINATION OF POOR VISIBILITY AND SLIPPERY ROADS. PLAN TO HAVE TRAVEL COMPLETED BY LATE SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

dauwhe
02-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Praise the Lord! It's been a rough winter for us skiers, even if we console ourselves with biking. I for one hope this storm tracks north a bit! We need snow so badly...

Dave Cramer (planning on a long ride Saturday Morning)
Brattleboro, Vermont

Bruce K
02-10-2006, 05:26 PM
William;

With all the bread and milk we have to buy before the end of the world tomorrow night, I think it will be qa long spin class for me.

Women and children first !!! :rolleyes:

BK

Sandy
02-10-2006, 05:28 PM
You better not let Rhea Basset stay out in the snow. If you do, I will come up and kick your butt!! :)

Snowman Sandy

zank
02-10-2006, 05:29 PM
It is ridiculous. My wife just said Stop and Shop was cleaned out. These people think it is the coming of the ice age or something. All she wanted was a can of tomatos for our sauce tonight.

PEOPLE! You will be able to buy bread again in a day or two. :fight:

keno
02-10-2006, 05:51 PM
I didn't realize that you know which way the wind blows.

keno

christian
02-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Don't need a Weatherman to tell which way the wind blows.

- Christian

PS: If assessing weather by examining basset:
ears flapping - windy
white basset - snowing
musty smell - raining

Bill Bove
02-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Ah :banana: :banana: :banana: Florida living :D probably get 90 miles in before noon Sunday.

What's that :confused: Only four months till hurricane season. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo

Fixed
02-10-2006, 06:34 PM
bro this is the best time for fla we don't have be through by 11 am. like in the summer, in the winter we can ride all day if we want enjoy the weekend bro and watch out for the blue haired drivers cheers :beer:

mikemets
02-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Kevan and I will be doing a "Beat the Blizzard" Century out of Katonah, NY starting at 8 am if any hearty souls would like to join us. :D

Kevan
02-10-2006, 06:46 PM
I'm meeting my pal Mikemets at 8am with the intention of trying to complete a century ride before the third snowflake falls.

I mean the third flake because the first two will be out riding bikes and I don't want either of them to fall.

Mother? :confused:

Sandy
02-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Don't need a Weatherman to tell which way the wind blows.

- Christian

PS: If assessing weather by examining basset:
ears flapping - windy
white basset - snowing
musty smell - raining

Very cute. Probably reasonably accurate too. If a Basset's ears are flapping, you better get inside. :) :)

Shiloh Shepherd Sandy

William
02-10-2006, 07:12 PM
You better not let Rhea Basset stay out in the snow. If you do, I will come up and kick your butt!! :)

Snowman Sandy

Sandy,

For your information, Rhea Basset is a champion sled dog and former Iditarod Winner. She'll be just fine.............curled up in her favorite place...right next to a warm radiator. ;)

Why is there is always a run on bread, milk, and eggs before a storm. Is french toast officially blizzard food? :confused:

William

PS: Keno, the warm wind is blowing that way....right through the wicker. ;)

beungood
02-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Yeeaahhhh! I'm praying for 20"! I'll be plowing like a mutha and soon have the money to finish my Budget Redline rig and save money for a new Zanc... :banana:

Too Tall
02-11-2006, 05:19 AM
N.E. snowbunnys...what's it doin'? We have nada in DC so far.

keno
02-11-2006, 05:32 AM
stop whining, in a foreign language yet.

keno

Climb01742
02-11-2006, 05:39 AM
the heck with stocking up on milk...i just ordered some extra race DVDs for basement trainer hell. :crap: :D

mikemets
02-11-2006, 06:24 AM

gettin' ready to ride a century, 21F, and as of last count 5 riders :D

davids
02-11-2006, 06:41 AM
The grocery panic never ceases to amuse me. Traffic was brutal yesterday evening, and it was all people rushing to the closest Star Market. For a storm that won't even start until late today. :rolleyes:

Still seeing blue skies in Boston... I won't get a ride in until this afternoon. I'm thinking of mountain biking.

Tomorrow's workout will be for the upper body. Time to tune up the shovels!

Kevin
02-11-2006, 06:50 AM
Here come the snow :fight: ,
do do do,
Here comes the snow :fight: ,
its alright,

little darling..........

They are predicting 12-16 inches for my neck of the woods. I will be playing in the snow with my kids. :banana:

Kevin

William
02-11-2006, 09:35 AM
Well, I'll be heading out shortly to get a ride in before Beungood and the guys show up to do our normal Sunday training today....since it doesn't look like anyone will be going anywhere on Sunday.

Looks a little rougher now...

William

...BLIZZARD WATCH NOW IN EFFECT FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON...

SNOW WILL BEGIN ON THE SOUTH COAST AND ISLANDS BETWEEN 8 PM AND 11 PM TONIGHT...AND SHOULD REACH THE INTERSTATE 95 CORRIDOR BETWEEN 10 PM TONIGHT AND 1 AM SUNDAY. THE HEAVIEST SNOW WILL FALL OVERNIGHT INTO EARLY SUNDAY AFTERNOON.

TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS WILL RANGE FROM 6 TO 10 INCHES ON NANTUCKET AND BLOCK ISLAND...TO BETWEEN 8 AND 15 INCHES ELSEWHERE. THE 15 INCH TOTALS ARE MOST LIKELY TO OCCUR FROM PROVIDENCE AND BOSTON TO THE SOUTH COAST.

DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM SUNDAY...BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITH SNOWFALL RATES NEAR 3 INCHES PER HOUR. NORTHEAST WINDS GUSTING AS HIGH AS 50 MPH MAY PRODUCE WHITE OUT CONDITIONS WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY. ON THE SOUTH COAST...CAPE COD AND THE ISLANDS WIND GUSTS MAY REACH 60 MPH.

THIS IS A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS AND LIFE THREATENING SITUATION. PLAN TO HAVE TRAVEL COMPLETED BY EARLY THIS EVENING. TRAVEL DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM WILL BE SERIOUSLY IMPACTED BY THE COMBINATION OF POOR VISIBILITY AND SNOW COVERED ROADS.

bostondrunk
02-11-2006, 10:17 AM
I made spaghetti sauce last night....<burp>

gary135r
02-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Northeaster (not "Nor'easter" as flatlanders call it) tomorrow, six inches maybe more. Bring it on. Has been a strange winter so far. Maine with no snow in the heart of winter seems odd.

Kevin
02-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Just ran the generator and the snowblower for 10 minutes to make sure there are no suprises tomorrow. They are gased up and ready to roll. Bring it on.

Kevin

William
02-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Got my ride in today. Very calm conditions, sun was out, birds chirping, motorists being courteous......calm before the storm. Temps were still in the high 20's but it was a good ride.

Batton down the hatches folks:

William

PS: Stocked up on vitamin G today. :D :beer:

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 7 PM EST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 7 PM EST SUNDAY. THE BLIZZARD WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

SNOW WILL BREAK OUT ACROSS NORTHERN CONNECTICUT...THE SOUTH COAST AND THE ISLANDS BY MIDNIGHT TONIGHT...THEN SPREAD NORTH TOWARD PROVIDENCE...WORCESTER...BOSTON AND CAPE ANN THROUGH 3 AM SUNDAY.

SNOW WILL CONTINUE DURING THE DAY SUNDAY AND COME DOWN HEAVY AT TIMES. DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM SUNDAY AFTERNOON...BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITH SNOWFALL RATES NEAR 3 INCHES PER HOUR. NORTHEAST WINDS GUSTING AS HIGH AS 60 MPH MAY PRODUCE WHITE OUT CONDITIONS WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY.

TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS BY SUNDAY NIGHT WILL RANGE FROM 10 TO 18 INCHES...WITH LESSER AMOUNTS OF 6 TO 10 INCHES ON NANTUCKET WHERE A MIX WITH RAIN IS POSSIBLE FOR A FEW HOURS SUNDAY AFTERNOON. ISOLATED SNOW TOTALS OF 2 FEET ARE POSSIBLE IN THE AREA FROM PROVIDENCE TO BOSTON AND SOUTHEAST TO THE UPPER CAPE.

THIS IS A DANGEROUS AND LIFE THREATENING SITUATION. PLAN TO HAVE TRAVEL COMPLETED BY TONIGHT. TRAVEL DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM ON SUNDAY WILL BE SERIOUSLY IMPACTED BY THE COMBINATION OF STRONG WINDS...POOR VISIBILITY AND SNOW COVERED ROADS.

A BLIZZARD WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS OR FREQUENT GUSTS OVER 35 MPH ARE EXPECTED WITH CONSIDERABLE FALLING AND/OR BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. VISIBILITIES WILL BECOME POOR WITH WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES. THOSE VENTURING OUTDOORS MAY BECOME LOST OR DISORIENTED...SO PERSONS IN THE WARNING AREA ARE ADVISED TO STAY INDOORS.

Kevan
02-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Mikemets and I got out there with a bunch of our pals, but most of them opted for 40 mile rides or less; only the two of us stuck it out for the duration.

I think both of us felt pretty good during the ride, there were some chilly moments of course, but once we hit some hills we both were good and toasty. We're guessing here, but we think the temps ranged mostly in the upper 20's and low 30's. In around the 60 mile mark the sun actually got clear of the clouds and warmed things up for an hour or two and probably gave us something like 36-38 degrees. It didn't last long.

I have to say the last 10 miles were a bit frustrating for me personally. Mikemets and I had split with about 9 miles left of the 100 miles, to return to our respective homes and it was about that time that my toes began to really cramp up, not from the cold (used chem heaters), but from the exertion . While I was no longer hitting the hills hard I still felt pretty solid, handling the rollers and flats at the pace we'd been generally going, but my feet began screaming at me. With about 4 miles to go they felt like they were actually damaged to the point of bleeding. I got off the bike, did a GU and stamped my feet trying to get some circulation going. Eventually the pain subsided enough that I got back onto the bike, but not a minute later the pain returned climbing a hill. It was absolutely excruciating and I knew the only solution was to get out of the shoes. I was determined to get home as fast as I could, did the stiff upper lip thing, and did just that. Sure enough, as soon I got into the house, removed the shoes, and rubbed the feet the pain was gone. Fast as that. This whole thing is pretty weird. Shoes feel perfectly fine for 90 some odd miles and then the cramps move in. I had this happen to me last summer using a different shoe. I contributed it to the heat then, but apparently that wasn't the case today. I guess I'll have to see how next month's century goes.

I hope this doesn't mean I need $500 shoes.

jerk
02-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Mikemets and I got out there with a bunch of our pals, but most of them opted for 40 mile rides or less; only the two of us stuck it out for the duration.

I think both of us felt pretty good during the ride, there were some chilly moments of course, but once we hit some hills we both were good and toasty. We're guessing here, but we think the temps ranged mostly in the upper 20's and low 30's. In around the 60 mile mark the sun actually got clear of the clouds and warmed things up for an hour or two and probably gave us something like 36-38 degrees. It didn't last long.

I have to say the last 10 miles were a bit frustrating for me personally. Mikemets and I had split with about 9 miles left of the 100 miles, to return to our respective homes and it was about that time that my toes began to really cramp up, not from the cold (used chem heaters), but from the exertion . While I was no longer hitting the hills hard I still felt pretty solid, handling the rollers and flats at the pace we'd been generally going, but my feet began screaming at me. With about 4 miles to go they felt like they were actually damaged to the point of bleeding. I got off the bike, did a GU and stamped my feet trying to get some circulation going. Eventually the pain subsided enough that I got back onto the bike, but not a minute later the pain returned climbing a hill. It was absolutely excruciating and I knew the only solution was to get out of the shoes. I was determined to get home as fast as I could, did the stiff upper lip thing, and did just that. Sure enough, as soon I got into the house, removed the shoes, and rubbed the feet the pain was gone. Fast as that. This whole thing is pretty weird. Shoes feel perfectly fine for 90 some odd miles and then the cramps move in. I had this happen to me last summer using a different shoe. I contributed it to the heat then, but apparently that wasn't the case today. I guess I'll have to see how next month's century goes.

I hope this doesn't mean I need $500 shoes.

dude- maybe your specialty is the metric century and a half. but the $500 shoes do rule.

jerk

Hysbrian
02-11-2006, 07:04 PM
I got in a solid 4.5 hrs....but a century good for you man.

Too Tall
02-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Mike and horse with no name, y'all rawk! Well done laddies. It is tough for us easterners to keep up the quality hrs. with spring just around the corner.

This morning I was goat roped into a meeting with TWO contractors...sigh. Got out at 10:30 on my track bike...did a cursory warm up and NAILED it for two hrs. Found meaningful coffee at a local custom roaster and chatted with Calvin who never mentioned the fact I was covered head to toe in road goo and ice crystals :rolleyes: We talk about hotrods. After a really nice coffee it was BACK ON MY HEAD for another hr. of tempo and home to a shower that never seemed to get hot enough...winter olympics...a warm dog and a warmer fire...life as we know it ain't all that bad.

Was just thinking...I've put in a classic 5k+ on the fixed this winter...so far and will knock out about 2k more before racing starts. It certainly has it's appeal, quiet simple and hard to break.

mikemets
02-11-2006, 08:01 PM
I was just getting warmed up and hitting my stride when the ride ended. ;)

It sure was nice to have some company, and my best cycling pal to boot. I thought for sure I'd be solo. Well, Jan and Feb are in the bank in my quest for a century a month for '06. :D

Kevan
02-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Just ran the generator and the snowblower for 10 minutes to make sure there are no suprises tomorrow. They are gased up and ready to roll. Bring it on.

Kevin

'cept it's my teenage son. The Mexican meal tonightoughta fuel him up just fine.

1015p.m and the plow just made its first pass on our road.

Kevin
02-12-2006, 05:34 AM
'cept it's my teenage son. The Mexican meal tonightoughta fuel him up just fine.

1015p.m and the plow just made its first pass on our road.

I was blessed with only daughters, so until one of them traps me a shoveler I have to gas up the snow blower. ;)

Kevin

keno
02-12-2006, 06:05 AM
While these wimps measure their accumulations, let's you and me ride today. Extreme Bikers don't cancel no events no how. You must first listen to cut one on JW.

keno

William
02-13-2006, 05:03 AM
All told, I think we ended up with about 15 inches. Hard to tell for sure with the drifting. A few drifts had upwards of three feet. Everything went pretty smooth except for when Rhea Basset had to go out at the height of the storm. She went running along the fence and a 40 -50 mph gust hit, ears raised up and off she went. Let me tell you, flying Bassets aren't easy to catch. Basically what you got there is a 65 pound, stumpy legged, blue & brown eye'd missle. She seemed to enjoy buzzing me though, at least it looked that way from the silly grin on her furry face. I had to dive into the snow a few times before I was finally able to lasso her with some cheap red plastic bar tape I had floating around.....pretty strong stuff actually.

Anyway, we got through fine.....except the washer died. I think it's storm related...though my wife thinks I'm nuts. :rolleyes:

Wintery William ;)

Kevin
02-13-2006, 05:56 AM
Things are ok on Long Island as well. We got 17 inches of snow, but we never needed the generator. I also got to play with the kids in the snow.

Kevin

William
02-13-2006, 06:09 AM
...I also got to play with the kids in the snow.

Kevin

Ditto. Though the snow was too powdery for us to make a good snowman. We still had a blast. :banana:

William

Too Tall
02-13-2006, 06:55 AM
Sunday...digging out us, the neighbor, mom and local ordinace requres all sidewalks in fr. of the house to be cleared :rolleyes: Queen helped.

THAN we got a call from Zipp and Zap...their power is out and their road was snowed in....off to raid their fridge and it was a PAR-TAY. Winter storms do have their benefits :)

Oh yeah Volvo XCs rawk.