PDA

View Full Version : Pedals that can be unclipped by twisting inward?

russd32
04-24-2014, 08:08 PM
I know it sounds stupid, but I have a specific reason for asking. I was injured a long time ago and lost some tendons and whatever body parts allow you to rotate your foot. So....I can't rotate my foot at the ankle, only from the knee and hip. I've found that the movement I do have isn't enough to unclip by twisting my right leg outward.

I've been riding Eggbeaters and I have no problem getting in and out of them. I can twist my foot inward and get out really quickly. My problem is that they don't offer road pedals anymore. I have a set of Quattros and they're nice but I'd like to try some others that are currently available. A couple that I'm specifically wondering about

Speedplay Zero
Shimano DA/Ultegra/105
Look

Next question: of those pedals, do any/all of them have float that forces your foot towards center. One thing that is great about Eggbeaters is that they do have float, but they naturally "spring" to the center. Since I have no control over my ankle I'm not sure I'd have much luck if my foot is allowed to just float without any resistance.

Thanks in advance

rnhood
04-24-2014, 08:13 PM
The Shimano SPD-SL will unclip in either direction. However, if you have a big foot like me then it might be better to buy the 2-degree cleats, and not the 6-degree. This will better ensure against interference from the frame, spokes or crank arm.

batman1425
04-24-2014, 08:14 PM
The amount of float on a speedplay zero is adjustable and the movement is free within the adjusted range. There is no spring to center effect.

Can't say I've ever tried to unclip by twisting in. My big feet would hit the chainstay or crank arm before I ever get close.

parris
04-24-2014, 08:15 PM
The shimano pedals should all unclip to the inside. I believe the Look pedals do as well. How much float are you looking for?

Admiral Ackbar
04-24-2014, 08:16 PM
you could get a 2hole spd adaptor so you can run crank bros cleats on your road shoes

kramnnim
04-24-2014, 08:16 PM
I think Zeros would work well. You could use the left cleat on the right pedal, etc, to get the rotate-inside-to-unclip. You can use the little set screws to determine where you want the float.

ultraman6970
04-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Some Time pedals can unclip backwards too if you go really deep tho...

thegunner
04-24-2014, 08:24 PM
zeros definitely work to the inside, if you set the float small enough, you won't even hit the crankarm.

Black Dog
04-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Looks will centre your foot, they will unclip by rotating inwards and you can set the float by using various cleats (0, 6, or 9 degrees). Everything that you asked for.

russd32
04-24-2014, 08:28 PM
Interesting. It sounds like any of them might work for me. My Eggbeaters are set at 15 degrees and I can still get out of them. I wear a 46 shoe so I do get some contact with the crank arm and/or frame but I guess necessity if the mother of invention.

How much effort does each variety take to twist out of? Back in the day when I was trying spd pedals I could use them but I have to drop the tension down quite a bit. If I set my right pedal the same as the left there's no way I could get my right foot out. Based on the loud snap! I've heard when guys unclip from their Look/Shimano's I'm wondering if they'd be too tight for me.

kramnnim
04-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Zeros take a bit more effort than Eggbeaters, and the tension is not adjustable.

Black Dog
04-24-2014, 08:42 PM
Interesting. It sounds like any of them might work for me. My Eggbeaters are set at 15 degrees and I can still get out of them. I wear a 46 shoe so I do get some contact with the crank arm and/or frame but I guess necessity if the mother of invention.

How much effort does each variety take to twist out of? Back in the day when I was trying spd pedals I could use them but I have to drop the tension down quite a bit. If I set my right pedal the same as the left there's no way I could get my right foot out. Based on the loud snap! I've heard when guys unclip from their Look/Shimano's I'm wondering if they'd be too tight for me.

You can easily set the release tension on look pedals that do not use a carbon blade. The ones with the carbon blades have various blades available with preset release tension.

russd32
04-24-2014, 08:45 PM
Thanks for all the info fellas. It sounds like Look or Speedplay would probably work. I think I might watch for sales on one or the other, then try the other after a while. It only took me about 5 saddles to find the right one so if I have to buy a couple sets of pedals it's no biggie.

oliver1850
04-24-2014, 08:53 PM
I have extra Looks if you want to try a pair.

parallelfish
04-24-2014, 09:07 PM
There is also the light action speedplays to consider.

russd32
04-24-2014, 09:25 PM
I have extra Looks if you want to try a pair.

Thanks, I might take you up on that one of these days

There is also the light action speedplays to consider.

I was reading the Speedplay site and it looked like the light actions had zero resistance in the float. I'm afraid my ankle would turn into a lazy susan with those. Unless I read it wrong

DY123
04-24-2014, 09:50 PM
The new Time's (iclic range) do not rely on the spring of the back latch to close or open the mechanism.

Therefore they are very easy to click in and a very light twist to click out. Great if you have a knee issues

Works heel in or out.

Veloo
04-25-2014, 12:49 AM
My first clipless pedals were these old, old black Look ones.
This ad has a pic of them.
http://www.lfgss.com/thread25156.html

They were well worn already and I found the right one unclipped more easily by twisting in. On my first ride I thought I'd imagined a slight slow down when I would unclip. Then I was pretty upset when I got home to find the heel cup scratched up. I realized I was hitting the spokes with my shoes cuz I would was unclipping at about the 10 or 11 o'clock position so just be wary.