PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Bracket Fit Question. GXP

Shortsocks
04-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Hi guys and gals.

I've got a fairly easy question ,I think, if you know about bottom brackets. I have very little experience with bottom brackets because I don't have to replace them very often.

My Pinarello FP2 is a GXP italian threaded, and I need to replace it soon, and while hunting for a new one I stumbled upon this:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=301104267303&globalID=EBAY-US

It's a Token, Italian threaded GXP. (I'm vain and like the fact that it's gold).
Will this fit my Pinarello? And the listing says "no spacers included". Do I need those for install, if this is even the right BB?

I'm afraid to order it, take it to my guy, and have him tell me it's the wrong size or I need some special spacers that I can only order from China.
I'm in over my head. :mad:

gavingould
04-24-2014, 01:11 PM
no authority on Italian threading here, but i'd say if you're running the current BB (sram's?) with no spacers, you'll likely be fine.
if you are using spacers now, you should be able to move the spacers over to the new BB i'd think.

donevwil
04-24-2014, 01:13 PM
I believe the Token TK877EX is a Shimano Ø24mm standard BB. An adapter kit, which Token also makes/sells/advertises and is shown in the ebay ad, is required to step the non-drive bearing down to the SRAM required Ø22mm. "No spacer included" as the ad states is curious if by spacer they mean adapter, then it's nothing more than a Shimano standard BB.

I'm not a fan of adapted BBs (also from Chris King, Hope and others) as it's just another set of interfaces to creak and who knows if the crank centerline remains the same. Not that SRAM BB's are all that great (they aren't) but I'm sticking with them until something legit comes out.

BTW, I have a slightly used SRAM GXP Italian BB off my wife's Colnago if you need it.

jds108
04-24-2014, 02:56 PM
I did something very similar with a GXP BSC setup. The aftermarket asian bb did accommodate the correct SRAM axle thickness without spacers and I didn't need any spacers to adjust the bb width either. So in my case it was simple plug and play like gavin describes.

Donevwil's scenario could happen but it seems unlikely since they're advertising it for SRAM and not Shimano.

The spacers are likely for the different widths of road vs mountain GXP standards as opposed to the axle thickness. I don't have a mtn GXP so I'm not 100% sure of this.

shovelhd
04-24-2014, 09:14 PM
I haven't heard of a "step down" spacer for a GXP BB. SRAM (Truvativ) does make a spacer for MTB use which is not required for road use. If that BB is a true GXP BB, then it should work. The wavy washer usually comes with the crank.

jds108
04-24-2014, 10:03 PM
I haven't heard of a "step down" spacer for a GXP BB. SRAM (Truvativ) does make a spacer for MTB use which is not required for road use. If that BB is a true GXP BB, then it should work. The wavy washer usually comes with the crank.

I bought a used Force crankset a couple of years ago off of ebay and when it arrived it had a 1mm thick spacer to bring the axle thickness on the left from 22 to 24mm. I'm guessing somebody was running this crank in a Shimano compatible BB. Don't know why anybody would do that because then you'd also have the hassle of needing a bunch of wavy washers to keep the axle from slipping side to side. Maybe that's why they sold the cranks...