PDA

View Full Version : New CEO for Merckx Cycles

fiamme red
04-24-2014, 12:11 PM
I didn't realize that Eddy no longer owns any shares in the company named after him.

http://www.bike-eu.com/Home/General/2014/4/Merckx-Pulls-Out-Rob-Beset-New-CEO-of-Eddy-Merckx-Cycles-1507600W/

Last month Diepensteyn, the holding company of Toye family bought Kurt Moons' 9 percent ownership. In 2013 founder and road race legend Eddy Merckx already sold his remaining 6 percent ownership. Diepensteyn now holds 100% of Eddy Merckx Cycles. Though Eddy Merckx sold all his shares of the company he founded he will continue as brand ambassador and remain a strong involvement in product development and testing.

In the financial year 2012-2013 (running through end of June) Eddy Merckx Cycles had a total turnover of 6.2 million euro, but suffered a 2.4 million euro loss.

Shortsocks
04-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Could have been worse. Could have been this D-bag.

http://i60.tinypic.com/30m703b.jpg

RedRider
04-24-2014, 01:11 PM
In the US there has also been a lot of change at Eddy Merckx Cycles. About a year ago they left Gita and started to distribute independently. They are phasing out the online etailers (I've been told) and focusing on dealers and direct sales. Their offices are in NYC and they are being aggressive in marketing and promotion. They recently were the title sponsor of the Tour of Battenkill. It would be nice to see such a great name become a big brand.

oldpotatoe
04-24-2014, 04:35 PM
In the US there has also been a lot of change at Eddy Merckx Cycles. About a year ago they left Gita and started to distribute independently. They are phasing out the online etailers (I've been told) and focusing on dealers and direct sales. Their offices are in NYC and they are being aggressive in marketing and promotion. They recently were the title sponsor of the Tour of Battenkill. It would be nice to see such a great name become a big brand.

Eddy was smart to get away, although I think he still gets paid for appearances. Like Masi, others, mass produced stuff. No heart or soul, IMHO.

tiretrax
04-24-2014, 05:00 PM
I thought Pinarello bought them. Now, I understand why Gita is no longer the distributor. They were great bikes in the past, and I hope the new owners will support the brand.

Llewellyn
04-24-2014, 06:51 PM
Eddy was smart to get away, although I think he still gets paid for appearances. Like Masi, others, mass produced stuff. No heart or soul, IMHO.

Yep, now just another name in a crowded marketplace of look-a-likes. I'd love to get one of the old frames in one of those classic colour schemes. There was always something about them that set them apart.

LegendRider
04-24-2014, 07:45 PM
I thought Pinarello bought them. Now, I understand why Gita is no longer the distributor. They were great bikes in the past, and I hope the new owners will support the brand.

I just went to the Gita website and was surprised to see that they are only distributing Pinarello and Pegoretti.

ultraman6970
04-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Batavus?? This will be an interesting development because batavus had a strong racing spirit, the thing is that Batavus had a large line of "dutch" bikes too.

wasfast
04-25-2014, 05:42 AM
Mr. Merckx selling the company some years back wasn't a secret but it's surprising how many still don't know that. The attributes mentioned above about all the changes look quite typical for a dilution of a brand on it's way to "so what?".

wallymann
04-25-2014, 07:52 AM
that something was eddy's spirit. something they've lost.

...There was always something about them that set them apart.

binxnyrwarrsoul
04-26-2014, 07:02 AM

This. Seemed the day Eddy left, the logos on Merckx frames got gigantic. Gaudy paint, loud logos and look alike, mass produced carbon. How un-Merckx like. Pass.

oldpotatoe
04-26-2014, 07:16 AM
This. Seemed the day Eddy left, the logos on Merckx frames got gigantic. Gaudy paint, loud logos and look alike, mass produced carbon. How un-Merckx like. Pass.

His 'biz people, when he still owned Merckx, said for him to be competitive, he had to go 'offshore', meaning mass produced frames in Asia..he said no, sold...now it's just another asian made frame sold at Back Country

http://www.backcountry.com/merckx-efx-1-shimano-105-complete-bike-2012?CMP_SKU=EDD0007&MER=0406&skid=EDD0007-BLA-S46CM&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc001&mv_pc=r101&mr:trackingCode=1CD092E9-F01C-E311-92D4-BC305BF82376&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla_with_promotion&mr:ad=25483641825&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=20762933025&mkwid=saTwqJrZ6_dc|pcrid|25483641825&gclid=CLfVvNiQ_r0CFQqEfgod614A1g

majorpat
04-26-2014, 07:24 AM
Times change for good and bad. In the 80's we all lusted after a Masi 3V, a Pinarello or a Merckx. Fast forward to today and aside from Pegoretti (or a few others) we all want a custom US made sled, at least those who like metal bikes. In carbon, Look and Time seem like the ones with at least a little soul along with a couple US makers. Cyfac? Awesome and awesomely expensive. Tired of seeing three or four teams on S-Works...boring!

oldpotatoe
04-26-2014, 07:30 AM
Times change for good and bad. In the 80's we all lusted after a Masi 3V, a Pinarello or a Merckx. Fast forward to today and aside from Pegoretti (or a few others) we all want a custom US made sled, at least those who like metal bikes. In carbon, Look and Time seem like the ones with at least a little soul along with a couple US makers. Cyfac? Awesome and awesomely expensive. Tired of seeing three or four teams on S-Works...boring!

yep, deep pockets...altho the C-40, 50, 59 are pretty nice frames if ya like plastic. Lotsa steel, vintage Merckx, Pinarello, Colnago, DeRosa still out there..

Minor brands like Scapin, Daccordi, Even Concorde, Ciocc, Moser, Carrera, Tomassini

http://www.redroseimports.com/Carrera_Lima.html

http://www.zarbikes.com/zar/san-cristobal.html