PDA

View Full Version : SRAM 10s/11s derailleur compatibility

AnthonyC
04-24-2014, 02:06 AM
I have a set of 10 speed 2012 SRAM Red derailleurs on my bike. (FD and RD.) These are the latest 10 speed models, with the yaw FD.

I think I'd read somewhere that these are identical to the 11-speed versions, meaning that if I wanted to upgrade to SRAM 11 speed I wouldn't have to switch derailleurs at all. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I already know that I'd have to upgrade pretty much everything else on the drivetrain (shifters, chainrings, chain, cassette) but I'm hoping that I might be able to save a bit of money!

Charles M
04-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Nope. spacing / pull is different.

malcolm
04-24-2014, 01:33 PM
Good SRAM story. A buddy's force shifter just broke after 4 years and the shop called SRAM and they are giving him a new set for free outside warranty because they said it's a known problem. Shame they had a problem to begin with but kudos to SRAM for standing behind their product.

zachateseveryth
04-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Nope. spacing / pull is different.

The derailleurs, chain rings, and cranks are interchangeable between 10 and 11 speed but performance might not be optimal. The new stuff, the yaw FD in particular, is a nice improvement over the old stuff.

Freehub, cassette, right shifter, and chain are the only parts you need to switch over to run 11 speed.

shovelhd
04-24-2014, 01:41 PM
It's the SRAM way. These shifters have been breaking since they we're introduced. I went through four Quarqs before I switched to SRM. They've done the math and concluded that to continue replacing parts gratis due to a bad design is cheaper than redesigning the faults out of the product.

malcolm
04-24-2014, 02:37 PM
It's the SRAM way. These shifters have been breaking since they we're introduced. I went through four Quarqs before I switched to SRM. They've done the math and concluded that to continue replacing parts gratis due to a bad design is cheaper than redesigning the faults out of the product.

That's too bad, I was hoping it was just good customer service. I've got SRAM on my mtn bike because that's what was on it when I bought it, XX and I have to say it works very well thus far.

shovelhd
04-24-2014, 02:43 PM
I'm not an SRAM basher. My SRM is Red Yaw. Shifts great with Di2. Quarq has problems well before SRAM bought them out.

oldpotatoe
04-24-2014, 04:20 PM

Bing, bing, bing, we have a winner!

Although they aren't as free with warranty as they once were. Couple of big recalls, losing lotsa OEM to shimano...they aren't circling the drain but aren't the place they were about a year after coming out with their road stuff. Stuff breaking and warranty anything, anytime, for any reason, costs $. Better design, better materials, better manufacturing would help but that costs $.

A lot like redbull