PDA

View Full Version : RR440 Rear Wheel Issues

campy man
04-23-2014, 10:44 PM
Any issues with tire bead not seating completely with a RR440 Rear Assy wheel?

New wheelset rides great but recently noticed after changing a flat the rear tire is not seating completely.

After converting from Mavic Open Pro rims this is a issue I have never experienced before. Curently using Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks tires, 700x25.

After closer inspection it looks like the tire is hanging up on the rim tape and not expanding.

Should I be concerned that 2-3" of the tire bead appears not seated?

downtube
04-23-2014, 11:14 PM
I have the 440's laced to campy hubs. so far no issues. 2000 miles but only one flat and it all went well.
chuck

dave thompson
04-23-2014, 11:28 PM
Any issues with tire bead not seating completely with a RR440 Rear Assy wheel?

New wheelset rides great but recently noticed after changing a flat the rear tire is not seating completely.

After converting from Mavic Open Pro rims this is a issue I have never experienced before. Curently using Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks tires, 700x25.

After closer inspection it looks like the tire is hanging up on the rim tape and not expanding.

Should I be concerned that 2-3" of the tire bead appears not seated? Yes, the tire could possibly blow off the rim. What kind of rim tape? I've replaced all the cloth rim tape on my wheels with Stan's rim tape. It's thin, tough and when properly applied it doesn't interfere with tire mounting.

campy man
04-23-2014, 11:36 PM
What rim tape and width do you use?

The wheelbuilder installed Velox 19mm cloth tape and I noticed the tape moved and exposed the holes which I think caused a flat ... the tube had a small cut. I changed to Velox 22mm cloth tape and I think that issue has been resolved.

I typically run 100psi but after letting out the air, playing with the tire and inflating to 120psi the tire bead seemed to "popped" into place.
The max tire pressure is listed as 130psi.

I know wider rims are getting a lot of love here but in +25yrs of riding never had any issues with Mavic rims. Getting too old to be fighting with installing tires on rims ... miss Open Pro rims and Michelin Service Course tires.

buldogge
04-24-2014, 12:22 AM
The cloth is too wide.

Velox is thick and heavy.

I've switched to Schwalbe blue synthetic stuff…thin/tough/light…15mm (what I use, including on A23s) and 19mm available:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UJ41Q0/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Mark in St. Louis

What rim tape and width do you use?

The wheelbuilder installed Velox 19mm cloth tape and I noticed the tape moved and exposed the holes which I think caused a flat ... the tube had a small cut. I changed to Velox 22mm cloth tape and I think that issue has been resolved.

I typically run 100psi but after letting out the air, playing with the tire and inflating to 120psi the tire bead seemed to "popped" into place.
The max tire pressure is listed as 130psi.

I know wider rims are getting a lot of love here but in +25yrs of riding never had any issues with Mavic rims. Getting too old to be fighting with installing tires on rims ... miss Open Pro rims and Michelin Service Course tires.

majorpat
04-24-2014, 06:56 AM
I also had a flat from suspected spoke holes exposed by moving rim tape. Now using 16mm Velox due to adhesive backing, so far no troubles with the bead seating itself.

ergott
04-24-2014, 07:46 AM
Velox is your problem. I use Stan's yellow tape. If the rim is narrower I still install it and then take and exact-o knife to trim any tape going up the sides inner rim. It's easy to do when spinning the wheel in the truing stand.

skijoring
04-24-2014, 07:48 AM
Velox is your problem. I use Stan's yellow tape. If the rim is narrower I still install it and then take and exact-o knife to trim any tape going up the sides inner rim. It's easy to do when spinning the wheel in the truing stand.

Hey ergott, or anyone else have you ever tried ROX rim tape? Seems nice and thin, but I wonder if it migrates around on a rim.