PDA

View Full Version : Enve 6.7 Wheelset

BirkWinn
04-23-2014, 10:37 PM
I wanted to see what people think of the Enve 6.7 wheelset. Good and bad info would be much appreciated. I had a shop tell me that he didn't trust them at high speeds. They don't sell Enve but said he used them for a bit

How do they handle with wind?
How do they handle down steep hills at high speed?
Braking?

Or anything else

Thanks

Uncle Jam's Army
04-24-2014, 12:22 AM
I had a pair last summer and put about 250 miles on them. Riding on the flats they felt super fast. But after I started taking them up short climbs (1 mile or less), I started to feel the effects of crosswinds on the downhills. On one short downhill (about an 8% descent), I caught a nasty crosswind gust and it moved me about 2.5 feet . . . into the traffic lane. I decided to unload them after that ride. I've since been riding 46mm Reynolds Assaults and, I have to say, I still have to deal with gusts when they get bad. In December, a strong gust not only moved me a good 2 feet, it also lifted my front wheel up, on the Assaults.

So, experience has more or less told me you're going to deal with having to handle crosswinds anytime you get over 20mm depth. Some Archetype wheels (25mm deep) I had also caught some bad crosswinds. BTW, I am 185 lbs., so I carry weight on me for sure. Just know any rim is going to get pushed around by crosswinds if the wind is strong enough.

In fact, I'm trying to figure out my next wheelset and, I've figured out I could really use the 6.7 wheelset for flat road races like, say, Tour de Murrieta or San Luis Rey Road Race in California, where the climbs are short and speed is high, without many accelerations like in a crit. So I am giving serious consideration to going back to the 6.7's, notwithstanding my experience with them in crosswinds. But the 3.4's look really nice for an all-around wheelset to tackle anything and everything, from long climbs to crits. Lighter weight, shallower profile, but still incorporating the Smart System technology in the rim.

So, I guess my advice to you would be, if you have the money, get both the 3.4's and the 6.7's. If you can only go with one set to do everything, I'd probably go with the 3.4's, or the Reynolds Aero 46's or Aero 58's (though the Aero 58 wheelset is really close to the 6.7's). If you just want a fast set of wheels for the flat lands or rolling terrain, the 6.7's are super sweet. If you're going to be doing climbing, then you want to look at something other than the 6.7's. Be honest with yourself regarding what you want out of the wheels and what terrain you see yourself handling and the choice will become clearer to you.

BirkWinn
04-24-2014, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the help and insight. I live in North County San Diego and do ride hills to and from the coast, and fortunately have not experienced any problems but I have thought about it. I have been contemplating the 3.4 wheelset since I can only have one set and need them to do everything well. I probably will be selling/ trading my 6.7 smart system set if you would be interested. Only about 260 or so miles on them.

Ryun
04-24-2014, 10:40 AM
I have both the 6.7s and the 3.4s

In a fast group and ride with "normal" wind, they are very very fast. The higher the speed the better they wheels. Once the wind gets gusty and lately the evening winds have been aroun 12-20, the front can get a little squirrely. The 3.4s feel almost as fast in normal conditions and definitely handle the wind better. I tend to prefer the way 3.4s feel under acceleration.

If I was going to have one for all conditions, I would probably sacrifice the top end speed and go with the 3.4

I live in Fl so cant speak to hills although the deeper 6.7s do seem to chatter a bit more under rough fast corners.

The braking on the new smart wheels is the best carbon setup out of everything I have or tried.

ptourkin
04-24-2014, 10:55 AM
You probably already know this, but Gordon at Velo Hangar builds up a lot of Enves for fast guys in your neck of the woods. Maybe go see him and discuss your needs.

UJA - good luck at SLR if you're racing this weekend.