PDA

View Full Version : shorts

don compton
04-23-2014, 09:30 PM
OK, I realize that choosing cycling shorts can be personal, but regardless of price, I am looking for a short that has adequate sit bone comfort, but not too much padding elsewhere. Are the Assos shorts worth it? Or maybe Castelli's high end shorts.
Currently, I am using Castellis with the "kiss" pad and its not working for me.
They seem to bunch up in the "nether region".:help:

FlashUNC
04-23-2014, 09:32 PM
Assos is where its at.

MattTuck
04-23-2014, 09:33 PM
Don,

I've never found a pair of shorts that I'm in love with. BUT, I have experienced what you describe, and more often than not, the reason was that I accidentally dried the shorts and the spandex shrunk a bit. When this happens, the spandex pulls the pad edges toward each other, and the pad seems to pucker into uncomfortable spots.

Before going on quest for new shorts, I'd make sure that this isn't the cause of your current discomfort.

Fixed
04-23-2014, 09:38 PM
My favorites assos and rapha
Cheers

Ken C
04-23-2014, 09:52 PM
I really like Boure Elite Bibs. The chamois is thin, but I prefer that with an Aliante. They are made very well, the lycra is a little thicker, but more durable than most.

dpk501
04-23-2014, 09:53 PM
Rapha and assos for me!

buldogge
04-23-2014, 10:05 PM
Are we talking about bibs/shorts…or are we really talking about the chamois/pad???

I would pick a bib from a company you like that uses the Cytech/EIT D4 or Multi-D Comp pad…but…of course, this is super personal, much like saddles.

I like the mid-high-end Capo bibs with these pads…another lower price option is the Voler FS Black or the Hammer Nutrition Bergamos.

-Mark in St. Louis

pdmtong
04-23-2014, 10:06 PM
Rapha and assos for me!

there are as many shorts choices as asses...

as for rapha, say what you will but I have four seasons (100+ days) into one pair and the pad still feels great and nowhere near see-thru. so that $220 list is about $50/year and still going strong. value? yea, value!

don compton
04-23-2014, 10:13 PM
Don,

I've never found a pair of shorts that I'm in love with. BUT, I have experienced what you describe, and more often than not, the reason was that I accidentally dried the shorts and the spandex shrunk a bit. When this happens, the spandex pulls the pad edges toward each other, and the pad seems to pucker into uncomfortable spots.

Before going on quest for new shorts, I'd make sure that this isn't the cause of your current discomfort.
Thanks. I will check this out

eippo1
04-23-2014, 10:21 PM
I had a similar issue with Castelli. Have some verge that are better, but wear out quickly. Went to Assos last year after some chafing issues and have been happy ever since.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

don compton
04-23-2014, 10:26 PM
I had a similar issue with Castelli. Have some verge that are better, but wear out quickly. Went to Assos last year after some chafing issues and have been happy ever since.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
When ordering Assos, did you order the same size as your Castelli short?
Don

bikenut
04-24-2014, 07:07 AM
Where do they rank? About to order their fit sensor 2 model from performance.

Lewis Moon
04-24-2014, 07:55 AM
I absolutely LOVE my Beelzebub (registered trademark) Bibs with the ReelSkin chamois/pad. At $1525 (plus soul) its one of the best cycling investments I've made. The material actually bonds to your skin so you wear them like a pair of soft contacts and throw them away after a week. There are several local LBS/clinics in my area that have the correct removal instruments (they come in a beautiful fitted wooden box!) so thats no problem, and Travis, my clinician/wrench is very gentle with the reaming tools.
The best thing about Beelzebub (registered trademark) Bibs is that they are vertically compliant but laterally stiff!

HenryA
04-24-2014, 08:11 AM
I really like Boure Elite Bibs. The chamois is thin, but I prefer that with an Aliante. They are made very well, the lycra is a little thicker, but more durable than most.

+1

Comfortable and very durable.

Vientomas
04-24-2014, 08:22 AM

Another vote for Boure. Made in USA. Nice folks and a great return policy.

malcolm
04-24-2014, 08:59 AM
I've been digging sugoi for the past couple years their upper end shorts are really good. I just started using a pair of capo shorts that I bought from a cycle store that was closing and while I like the chamois and the fit the seams from the chamois down the inseam are poorly finished and especially at the elastic are sticky as in pin like. They are the high end ones, everything else about them I like.

rePhil
04-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Another vote for Boure. Great customer service.

Another vote for Boure. Made in USA. Nice folks and a great return policy.

godfrey1112000
04-24-2014, 01:36 PM
http://www.desotosport.com/category/cycling

Superior quality, comfort and price

Uncle Jam's Army
04-24-2014, 02:26 PM
Are we talking about bibs/shorts…or are we really talking about the chamois/pad???

I would pick a bib from a company you like that uses the Cytech/EIT D4 or Multi-D Comp pad…but…of course, this is super personal, much like saddles.

I like the mid-high-end Capo bibs with these pads…another lower price option is the Voler FS Black or the Hammer Nutrition Bergamos.

-Mark in St. Louis

+1

The Cytech pad is the one I get along with the best, but it is only part (albeit a big part) of the equation when talking about bib/shorts. (i.e., I've had bad fitting bibshorts with the Cytech pad, but the pad wasn't the problem). Gore Bike Wear usually has this pad in its top-end shorts, as do quite a few other manufacturers (including Rapha and Assos (at least used to)) and a few custom kit manufacturers (e.g., Hot Shoppe in San Clemente, CA).

eddief
04-24-2014, 02:35 PM
I am stuck on Voler cause I know what size to buy and the Jet is plain black with good pad and a subtle approach to how they do the legs without the usual approach to elastic bands.

gmonster
04-24-2014, 09:13 PM
I'll put a plug in for the new Road Holland bibs... normally $115 and on sale this week for $86 with promo-code "ORANGE".

http://roadholland.com/collections/mens/products/the-bolsward-bib

steelbikerider
04-24-2014, 09:25 PM
I've been really happy with my last 2 sets of Performance Ultra's. Before I had been using the mid level Descente and PI shorts but like the Ultra's even better and you can often get them on sale for about $70. Durability seems fine so far but I have only had them a year and once/week ride and wash.

P.S. I started riding in the wool short/leather chamois era so I understand your want for minimal padding.

Ralph
04-25-2014, 05:51 AM
Sugoi RS works for my sensitive butt. Others didn't.

metalheart
04-25-2014, 09:28 AM
I'll put a plug in for the new Road Holland bibs... normally $115 and on sale this week for $86 with promo-code "ORANGE".

http://roadholland.com/collections/mens/products/the-bolsward-bib

Hows the pad and is the fabric soft or more stiff? For example, I think Rapha bibs have a very soft fabric whereas Desoto and Voler I classify as stiff.

Saguaro
04-25-2014, 10:35 AM
One vote for Ibex Duo Shorts. The Merino Wool/Spandex fabric feels great and I like that the chamois isn't too thick.

rnhood
04-25-2014, 10:56 AM
The Sugoi RSX are the pinnacle of sorts, at least for my butt - with the RS model very close behind. I have two pair of Assos and they are not in the same league. The better Castelli shorts are pretty good too.

jr59
04-25-2014, 10:59 AM
Hows the pad and is the fabric soft or more stiff? For example, I think Rapha bibs have a very soft fabric whereas Desoto and Voler I classify as stiff.

I have a pair and it is Rapha like. I'm a very big guy and I think the top part fits better. At least on my long frame. My fav are the high end Pearls!

Sean Mac
05-25-2014, 12:22 PM
I've read through this thread several times recently, as I am in the market for some new shorts. I am curious whether anyone on this forum has tried the 2014 Ibex Duo shorts. I have an older pair, which I am generally pretty happy with. However, as others have pointed out, the pad of these shorts does tend to become a bit uncomfortable on longer rides. According to Ibex, the 2014 model has a new 8mm chamois. A review on the Ibex site sings the praise of the new "wool based" pad. I would love to get more data points before I make a purchase.

Ultimately, I am looking to keep my purchases in the $100 price range. I will be buying a pair of Road Holland bibs (my first pair of bibs!) when the large size is back in stock. In the meantime, I do need another pair of shorts. I'm torn between the new Ibex and pair of Boure elite shorts.

Any help / advice would be much appreciated.

krhea
05-25-2014, 12:53 PM
Louis Garneau Neo Power.

victoryfactory
05-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Yet another vote for Boure. And they do custom too!
Pick a fabric, chamois and fit.
VF

mcteague
05-25-2014, 02:20 PM

I just tried a pair of these after all the positive reports. Guess I will have to take advantage of their great return policy. I felt discomfort right where the seam connects the two chamois materials. Plus, the compression lycra feels uncomfortable if front of my hip bone at the top of the pedal stroke. I have had this with other shorts and the feeling is the material is cutting into me. You would think they are just too small but the fit is fine otherwise and it is the size they suggested.

Going back to my PI In-R-Cool bibs for now, not great but pretty good. I have two pair of those along with several Santinis from years past. Tried Assos Uno long ago and did not like the fit nor really fat chamois. Shorts and saddles seem to fall into the Holy Grail category. I do really like my Aliante though.

Tim

jensenn
05-25-2014, 03:07 PM
http://www.pactimo.com/shop/men-s/mens-cycling-and-biking-shorts/mens-road-bike-shorts/continental-short.html

Pactimo. I dont own any of their shorts but own two of their bibs. I have a older model from 2 years ago and the seams would get really uncomfortable after a couple hours. Decided to grab their newly designed stuff and a big imporvement. Their tour shorts are currently on sale and with this discount code, BA14EST, comes out to $31.85

azrider
06-15-2014, 12:55 PM
http://www.desotosport.com/category/cycling

Superior quality, comfort and price

Hmmmm......these have me pretty intrigued. Anyone else have experience with these?

Reviving an old "shorts" thread because I am starting to put in some 5 and 6 hour rides and none of my current shorts are up to the task.

Also...whats the deal with Assos? Some have said the new S7 isn't as good as s5.....what is Assos "long Mile bib?"

thanks all

professerr
06-15-2014, 02:34 PM

zzy
06-15-2014, 02:55 PM
I really like my DeMarchi Evos. They have a nice firm pad that makes almost any saddle feel good. Great fit throughout, good leg grippers, and good for taller dudes.

ptourkin
06-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Hmmmm......these have me pretty intrigued. Anyone else have experience with these?

Reviving an old "shorts" thread because I am starting to put in some 5 and 6 hour rides and none of my current shorts are up to the task.

Also...whats the deal with Assos? Some have said the new S7 isn't as good as s5.....what is Assos "long Mile bib?"

thanks all

Mille was the designation in the S5 line for a more "American" cut. They used "endurance" as a euphemism, but what they really meant is that they're bigger. It has been dropped for the S7 but within the model line, they tell you which ones are for more a racer body-type. The people I know who have tried the S7 love it. The pad is absolutely seamless. There are still deals on the S5 line in some sizes and you won't be disappointed in those either, you just won't have a purple tag on your butt.

metalheart
06-15-2014, 04:10 PM
I have a couple of pairs that are about two years old. The pad is very comfy for me for more than 3 hours in the saddle or long mileage weeks. The material is thicker than any other bibs I have (Road Holland, Rapha, Voler) but it is comfortable. The external pockets on the DeSoto bibs are a useful convenience for me. I use the Desotos and Rapha bibs for any ride over 2.5 hours and the Road Holland and Volers for rides less than that.

thanks all

azrider
06-16-2014, 01:02 AM
Louis Garneau Neo Power.

Wow...these got some pretty dmned good reviews over at CC

And pricepoint is pretty nice also.

Krhea can you talk to durability?