PDA

View Full Version : Record rear hub question

bikerboy337
04-23-2014, 07:25 PM
Have a set of wheels with record hubs... Just noticed a little bit of an odd sounds I'm the rear hub that has only maybe 500 mile son it, little bit of clicking. When I spin the rear wheel with moderate force on the stand it only spins maybe for 10 seconds and there is a distinct click, very soft, but it clicks about 1x per revolution. I haven't ridden these in about 6 months, but If I recall in the past it spun for quite a bit longer... The front wheel spins for at least a minute if not longer with the same amount of force

Any thoughts? Anything I can do to the rear hub to check if there's an issue? Never overhauled a hub, but thinking I need to check this out....

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikerboy337
04-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Sorry, these are the new generation black record hubs

ultraman6970
04-23-2014, 07:33 PM
Can you tell if they are too tight?

thwart
04-23-2014, 07:34 PM
Maybe grease in the freehub is a little stiff from lack of use… ?

See what the mature spud says, but I'd take 'em out for a short spin before I did any tinkering...

bikerboy337
04-23-2014, 07:37 PM
Not too tight, that's the one thing I know how to do with campy hubs (had a loose set of shamals in the past)...

Ralph
04-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Take apart. Clean and regrease and adjust. I do it every year on my black Record hubs. Google for instructions. Or Park Tools site.

bikerboy337
04-23-2014, 07:55 PM
What grease would OP use? Something like Phil wood?

oldpotatoe
04-24-2014, 06:29 AM
Have a set of wheels with record hubs... Just noticed a little bit of an odd sounds I'm the rear hub that has only maybe 500 mile son it, little bit of clicking. When I spin the rear wheel with moderate force on the stand it only spins maybe for 10 seconds and there is a distinct click, very soft, but it clicks about 1x per revolution. I haven't ridden these in about 6 months, but If I recall in the past it spun for quite a bit longer... The front wheel spins for at least a minute if not longer with the same amount of force

Any thoughts? Anything I can do to the rear hub to check if there's an issue? Never overhauled a hub, but thinking I need to check this out....

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

Have your self or somebody open it up and take a look. Plus clean, lube, overhaul. Really easy. 5mm allens in each end. Left hand axle end off lefty-loosey...2.5mm allen in the adjust cap...right hand axle end is left threaded, with 17mm open end..righty-loosey..I'm thinking the RH axle end might be loose but..hard to say w/o seeing it.

New 5/32 balls(15 each side) a good idea, seals back in the channels..grease is 'oil in soap'. any good grease..lotsa around balls, a weee but on the ratchet teeth..oil the pawls...make sure each springs up..may be a pawl spring also..easy to find, about $4...also check the outboard bearing of the FH body, should be smooth...easy to change if crunchy. Can't remember the number..standard cart bearing.