PDA

View Full Version : Spokes, yes spokes.

HenryA
04-23-2014, 05:41 PM
I trashed a rear wheel last fall and re-built with a new hub and rim but re-used the spokes. Now, after 4 broken spokes over the last few months (2 at head, 2 at thread) I think that was a mistake and now, I've had it. (just got back with a broken spoke today) I'm buying all new spokes and rebuilding again.

What are your favorite brands for an everyday riding type wheel. I'm big and I ride rough roads. Ultegra hub and Mavic Open Pro is what I have. I like total reliability. Probably some kind of double butted something. Wheelsmith? DT? Other?

Thanks

JAGI410
04-23-2014, 05:47 PM
Sapim double butted

wallymann
04-23-2014, 06:14 PM
Sapim double butted

this. sapim rock. the lasers have the thinner mid-section with the beefy ends, that's what you'll want for durability.

oldpotatoe
04-23-2014, 06:48 PM
this. sapim rock. the lasers have the thinner mid-section with the beefy ends, that's what you'll want for durability.

Lasers have thinner center section than Race(1.5mm vs 1.8mm) with 2mm at ends. Laser are NOT more durable than Race. Nor DT revolutions when compared to DT Comp.

Tension, enough, not to much, on a non deformed rim, consistent tension means no busted spokes, not just spokes.

HenryA
04-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Lasers have thinner center section than Race(1.5mm vs 1.8mm) with 2mm at ends. Laser are NOT more durable than Race. Nor DT revolutions when compared to DT Comp.

Tension, enough, not to much, on a non deformed rim, consistent tension means no busted spokes, not just spokes.

So I can take that as a vote for DT Comps?

thwart
04-23-2014, 07:26 PM
I'm big and I ride rough roads.

DT Comps or Sapim Race are your best choices then, IMO.

But as has been pointed out, more spokes break from 'suboptimal' builds than due to the qualities of the spoke itself.

HenryA
04-23-2014, 10:44 PM

But as has been pointed out, more spokes break from 'suboptimal' builds than due to the qualities of the spoke itself.

Yeah, I bet I've not broken a spoke for 10 or 15 years, then 4 broken in a short period. I think the old spokes were over stressed when I killed the wheel. I should never have re-used them. The build was good otherwise. Dead round and true. Official spoke tension gage and all.

oldpotatoe
04-24-2014, 06:26 AM
So I can take that as a vote for DT Comps?

DT Comps or Sapim Race..I like Sapim but when building a scad of wheels in the shop, it was too hard to get all the lengths I needed, in volume, from the only Sapim distributor 'out there', so DT Comps, which are great spokes, just a little more $.

Mark McM
04-24-2014, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I bet I've not broken a spoke for 10 or 15 years, then 4 broken in a short period. I think the old spokes were over stressed when I killed the wheel. I should never have re-used them. The build was good otherwise. Dead round and true. Official spoke tension gage and all.

When you re-used the spokes, did you use them in their original orientations (head in or out, left or right flange)? Once the ends of the spokes (elbows and threads) are bent into one angle under tension in an initial build, bending them into another angle (as when their orientation is changed) can create stress concentrations, reducing their fatigue life. Re-using spokes can be fine, if you maintain their original orientations.

HenryA
04-24-2014, 12:37 PM
No, they were mixed. Matched them best I could - I should have known better.
I broke the hub flange and had a rim dent to go with it. Keeping spokes in place is easy when changing out just the rim but not so much when everything has to come apart.

bfd
04-24-2014, 01:08 PM

Agree. I'm a heavy guy, but before my local wheelbuilder retired, I had him build me a rear wheel using Campy Chorus rear hub, Mavic Open Pro rim and DT 15/16 (1.8/1.6mm) spokes with aluminum alloy nipples. I have always used 14/15 (2.0/1.8), but thought I give these "lighter" spokes a try. What I got back was probably the best wheel he has ever build for me - tight and true!

I have several thousand miles on this rear wheel and it works great! Living in SF, where climbing is a way of life, it has been through a lot and so far, no problems! I credit the wheelbuilder for such a fine wheel.

Finding a good wheelbuilder is key! Now I have to find another one, sigh...:butt::help::eek:

Duende
04-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Hey BFD! I'm in SF too. Totally hear ya. FYI, I've had much success with the wheelbuilder at American Cyclery. Been abusing the hell out if the last wheels he build for me. Still true as when I picked them up. Dt comp spokes laced to campy/archetype.

Gblumenstock
04-26-2014, 11:51 AM
I am big too and wanted total reliability. I have been really happy with Wheelsmith DB14s. Great quality and from
my reading low probability of popping off at the head.

GB