PDA

View Full Version : SRAM Red rear derailleur spring - easy fix?

fiataccompli
04-23-2014, 10:02 AM
Finally dusting off my climbing terrain race bike, it was time yesterday to assess the damage from a nasty outside chain drop/wrap/RD contorting incident last year....which was completely my fault for negligently leaving my FD placed too high and not perfectly adjusted from testing a compact crankset...I found the spring on my otherwise rather low mileage and apparently OK Red rear derailleur is broken. So...anyone here have any experience replacing the spring? I assume it's not to difficult to find one. Is this common?

Thanks in advance.
Chris

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Bruce K
04-23-2014, 10:54 AM
I had one fail

I had to replace the derailleur

BK

oldpotatoe
04-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Finally dusting off my climbing terrain race bike, it was time yesterday to assess the damage from a nasty outside chain drop/wrap/RD contorting incident last year....which was completely my fault for negligently leaving my FD placed too high and not perfectly adjusted from testing a compact crankset...I found the spring on my otherwise rather low mileage and apparently OK Red rear derailleur is broken. So...anyone here have any experience replacing the spring? I assume it's not to difficult to find one. Is this common?

Thanks in advance.
Chris

SRAM provides few(none?)small bits for things like rear ders and shifters. You can try SRAM via a LBS, maybe they have a busted one you can harvest but SRAM headquarters normally files warrant parts in the trash can.....

Throw away design....

fiataccompli
04-23-2014, 12:43 PM
lovely...(said sarcastically). When functioning, I say without hesitation I like the Red stuff, this isn't good news. Guess I need to migrate this thread/thought over to classifieds & see if there are any RDs for parts. I got this RD from here, used, so I would not expect Sram to warranty it.

nathanong87
04-23-2014, 01:36 PM

Thanks in advance.
Chris

LBS replaced two of mine, which had springs broken. Sucks that it's happened to me twice. But replaced it twice which was ok. Mine however were not sucked into my spokes chain drop thing. I was shifting under load in one occasion and i lost all shifting.