PDA

View Full Version : Titanium stem fatigue

Veloo
04-23-2014, 06:47 AM
I like to replace my aluminum stems every 3 years or so to be on the safe side and avoid any catastrophic failure/ fatigue. Now that I am in the market for a Ti stem to complement the frame, I'm wondering how long a Ti stem lasts. Since they are about 4X the price of the aluminum stems I buy, I am hoping they last at least 4X as long if not longer.
Any Ti stem owners care to share their experiences? Not interested in carbon. Won't go with my current set up.

tigoat
04-23-2014, 07:18 AM
Titanium has almost an “infinite” fatigue life if it is not being stressed over yield very often. If a Ti frame can last a lifetime so can a Ti stem. The problem associated with a Ti component failure is not so much about the material itself but it might be relating to welding that goes with it, so you might want to get one welded by a good builder. In my earlier riding years, I was obsessed with everything titanium and have had numerous Ti stems including many custom built by Moots. I have never had a problem with Ti stems. Most Ti stems including those made by Moots typically have lots of sharp edges so I usually have to round every one of them out before use. Nowadays, I prefer carbon fiber and aluminum stems for no apparent reason other than perhaps some cost and weight savings. PMW has Ti stem components readily available so there are many builders building custom Ti stems nowadays. I would stay away from those Ti stems made overseas if you are concerned about welding quality.

Veloo
04-23-2014, 07:20 AM
Thanks Tigoat. I was going to go with a Lynskey to match the frame.

Rusty Luggs
04-23-2014, 09:25 AM
Titanium has almost an “infinite” fatigue life if it is not being stressed over yield very often. If a Ti frame can last a lifetime so can a Ti stem. The problem associated with a Ti component failure is not so much about the material itself but it might be relating to welding that goes with it, so you might want to get one welded by a good builder. In my earlier riding years, I was obsessed with everything titanium and have had numerous Ti stems including many custom built by Moots. I have never had a problem with Ti stems. Most Ti stems including those made by Moots typically have lots of sharp edges so I usually have to round every one of them out before use. Nowadays, I prefer carbon fiber and aluminum stems for no apparent reason other than perhaps some cost and weight savings. PMW has Ti stem components readily available so there are many builders building custom Ti stems nowadays. I would stay away from those Ti stems made overseas if you are concerned about welding quality.

…. more like “ if stressed below a stress value commonly called the endurance limit.”
Yield = permanent deformation (as in bent). Endurance limit < yield.

thwart
04-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Good to hear this, as the Cinelli Grammo quill stem on my Gunnar has a fair amount of flex (at least compared to most threadless aluminum stems I've used).

But hey, I'll gladly trade a few watts on out of the saddle efforts for more comfort/damping… :banana:

donevwil
04-23-2014, 12:09 PM
In terms of the material it's perfect for a stem (and seatpost) and will last forever as others have shared, however, it's the weld quality and process followed (or not followed) that can lead to failure. Just as with the dark era of mass produced Ti frames in the 90's, it behooves one to be aware of who welded your stem (not necessarily what person, but what iteration of Litespeed, Merlin, etc). At least check the weld regions for cranks periodically. If your plan is for a new Moots, Firefly, Potts, Seven, etc. stem consider yourself good-to-go. If you are looking at a mass produced cost cutter on ebay from overseas, be wary. It may be fine, but...

Black Dog
04-23-2014, 12:19 PM
The question is why are your replacing your Al stems after 3 years? What information lead your to that period of time. Stem failures are very rare in general and even more so as caused by fatigue and not some flaw/defect from manufacturing (which usually causes early failure).

leooooo
04-23-2014, 12:22 PM
If you're replacing stems for safety reasons, what's the reasoning behind not replacing you're entire bike?

Ralph
04-23-2014, 12:32 PM
I use Ritchey WCS aluminum stems, and have for years. I visually inspect them occasionally, but never replace them just because they're "old". Don't know why I would. W/B more worried about C/F.....if I worried about it.

chomeo
04-23-2014, 12:52 PM
i've been using the Thomson stem for years for mtb and never had a problem. for my road bikes, i've chosen both carbon and aluminum purely for aesthetic reasons. vain. i know. :(