PDA

View Full Version : Enve Classic 25 wheelset?

bluesea
04-22-2014, 01:43 PM
Would it be suitable for daily use? How does it compare to the Hyperon? Seems the Hyperon's braking is not as "refined" as current carbon rim braking performance?

Lionel
04-22-2014, 02:13 PM
tubular I assume?

I had Enve 25 a long time ago (in fact they were 24mm back then). Sold them. Hyperon are much better IMO. Best hub in the business, very balanced rim and good lacing pattern. Braking is very good with campy red pads and much better than was I was getting on the Enve.

Hyperon are some of the very best wheels around.

ergott
04-22-2014, 03:05 PM
I still have my "Edge" 24mm rims built up. Rode them today in fact. The 25mm is definitely a better rim than the 24mm. I would have no more reservations riding them daily than any other carbon tubular wheelset.

happycampyer
04-22-2014, 03:36 PM
I have both—Enve 1.25's (with DT Swiss 190 hubs and Sapim CX Ray spokes) and Hyperons (well, three sets, but that's another story). The Enves are crazy light—Ventoux light—but are super strong. As Eric said, in terms of durability, I would have no reservation about riding them daily. The breaking quality is good, but not as good as the latest generation of wheels from Enve (i.e., the Smarts) or others. If you are looking for a super-light, sub-1,000 gr wheelset, there aren't many choices, and they're all much more expensive.

The Hyperons, otoh, are very underrated. They aren't super light and they aren't aero, but I find that they are the nicest riding wheels that I have ever owned. As Lionel said, the hubs are ridiculously smooth, and the ride quality is amazing. And even though the design hasn't changed substantially in years, the braking imo is as good as any other wheels, especially if you use the latest pads (grey or red) from Campagnolo. I personally like the Hyperons better than the 1.25's, but they are very different wheels.

bluesea
04-22-2014, 05:08 PM
Thanks. Actually was thinking clinchers. Would like to go back to sew ups but with the current state of my cognitive processes, I'd need someone to take me by the hand through every step.

I normally spend a good amount of time daisy chaining the short-steep hilltops we have here in HONO, and plan hopefully 3-4 ascents of Haleakala before June 2015.

Almost seems like the SES 3.4 might be be a better for my needs?