PDA

View Full Version : White Industries ENO Eccentric

Lanterne Rouge
04-21-2014, 07:52 AM
Has anyone tried the 130mm spaced rear ENO Eccentric hubs with cantilever brakes?

Apparently there can be alignment issues with center mount brakes and before I pulled the trigger on a pair of hubs (eBeast) I wanted to be sure I wasn't creating a headache for myself.

oldpotatoe
04-21-2014, 08:11 AM
Has anyone tried the 130mm spaced rear ENO Eccentric hubs with cantilever brakes?

Apparently there can be alignment issues with center mount brakes and before I pulled the trigger on a pair of hubs (eBeast) I wanted to be sure I wasn't creating a headache for myself.

Cantis or calipers? Center mount kinda means calipers, yes?

Depends since you get chain tension by raising or lowering the whole wheel. Depends on the cog, chainring, chain length and how it sits once you get the chain tensioned. I have not seen a no-go with an ENO and calipers..more of an issue with calipers, less adjustability.

mtb_frk
04-21-2014, 08:56 AM
I had this set up on a Ridley x-night, eno hub, trp cantis. It was a bit of a trick to get it right. Last season I switched to mini-v brakes and that seemed to work better. With the cantis I had to have pad holders at some strange angles to get it to work. Then every time I did any adjustments to rear wheel I had to fiddle with it.

Lanterne Rouge
04-21-2014, 09:04 AM
Cantis or calipers? Center mount kinda means calipers, yes?

Depends since you get chain tension by raising or lowering the whole wheel. Depends on the cog, chainring, chain length and how it sits once you get the chain tensioned. I have not seen a no-go with an ENO and calipers..more of an issue with calipers, less adjustability.

Yes sorry I meant calipers.

saab2000
04-21-2014, 09:05 AM
I just sold one of these and yes, brake pad alignment can be tricky. The wheel I sold had a Salsa Delgado Cross rim. It has a very wide brake track that can't fully be appreciated in this picture. But I never had any significant difficulties. I used TRP cantilever brakes with this wheel.

The hub is super nice but yeah, setup can be a tad tricky. Nothing that's too hard to overcome but you'll spend a bit of time with the initial setup getting the brakes aligned as that changes with the chain tensioning with the eccentric part of the hub.

Look for one of these rims. The brake track is wide.

Lanterne Rouge
04-21-2014, 09:05 AM
I had this set up on a Ridley x-night, eno hub, trp cantis. It was a bit of a trick to get it right. Last season I switched to mini-v brakes and that seemed to work better. With the cantis I had to have pad holders at some strange angles to get it to work. Then every time I did any adjustments to rear wheel I had to fiddle with it.

So it's fine but there is just 5 minute hassle factor to be considered?

christian
04-21-2014, 09:07 AM
So it's fine but there is just 5 minute hassle factor to be considered?I use an ENO on my sscx bike, and yeah, that describes it. If you are savvy with a bike and do your own work, then it's basically a tiny inconvenience.

Lanterne Rouge
04-21-2014, 09:34 AM
Great - thanks guys. So if you could all avoid bidding on any ENO Eccentric hubs for the next week or so than that would be great :hello:

thirdgenbird
04-21-2014, 09:39 AM
Good luck.

I've been running mine with a standard axle the last few years but a frame rotation is forcing the eccentric back in.

christian
04-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Great - thanks guys. So if you could all avoid bidding on any ENO Eccentric hubs for the next week or so than that would be great :hello:

If you want a black one laced to a Reflex tubular, I can cut you a good deal on one in great shape. You'd have to meet me at 48th/Park.