PDA

View Full Version : History on cycling caps? Are we jockeys?

Shortsocks
04-20-2014, 07:12 AM
So as I write this, it's 6:30am, I'm in full gear Waiting for my club ride at Starbucks. Checking emails, eating my nuetella, peanut butter and honey on wheat breakfast with crappy Starbucks coffee.

Yesterday, a Starbucks employee made a comment on my rapha cap, as I sat like today, and asked "Why are you wearing a jockey cap?". I just started laughing thinking that she was out of her mind. Well this morning she showed up with 3 of her husbands jockey caps. And to my surprise they are pretty much exactly like my cap.

Now, I feel like a fool. So I ask my fellow cyclists. What's the history on the caps? I realize that there are commanalities between cycling and horse back. Like saddles, both came from similar if not the same backgrounds, Brooks as an example. Or that cycling came about as a form of transportation opposed to or likened to the horse....

Regardless anyone have any feedback?

Black Dog
04-20-2014, 07:27 AM
Snug fit and small brim/beak. People moving fast. I suspect that the design is all about keeping the hat on the head of the rider under speed. One was likely borrowed from the other. All speculation on my part.

wc1934
04-20-2014, 08:07 AM
Snug fit and small brim/beak. People moving fast. I suspect that the design is all about keeping the hat on the head of the rider under speed. One was likely borrowed from the other. All speculation on my part.

Agree - you could also be describing the first caps that were worn by baseball players (late 1800's/early 1900's) - functionality!

oldpotatoe
04-20-2014, 08:24 AM
Agree - you could also be describing the first caps that were worn by baseball players (late 1800's/early 1900's) - functionality!

Or welders, or kids that rush frats in the 60s, or.......

MattTuck
04-20-2014, 08:44 AM
I am most impressed that you type that whole post on a phone. No idea on the origin of cycling caps but #capsnothats

malcolm
04-20-2014, 04:02 PM

cycling caps are exactly like the caps we used to wear under welding hoods

witcombusa
04-20-2014, 04:33 PM
cycling caps are exactly like the caps we used to wear under welding hoods

I still do. Keeps spatter from burning your hair/scalp.

bewheels
04-20-2014, 04:43 PM

...or with little spinning propellers on top...

verticaldoug
04-20-2014, 05:43 PM
So as I write this, it's 6:30am, I'm in full gear Waiting for my club ride at Starbucks. Checking emails, eating my nuetella, peanut butter and honey on wheat breakfast with crappy Starbucks coffee.

Yesterday, a Starbucks employee made a comment on my rapha cap, as I sat like today, and asked "Why are you wearing a jockey cap?". I just started laughing thinking that she was out of her mind. Well this morning she showed up with 3 of her husbands jockey caps. And to my surprise they are pretty much exactly like my cap.

Now, I feel like a fool. So I ask my fellow cyclists. What's the history on the caps? I realize that there are commanalities between cycling and horse back. Like saddles, both came from similar if not the same backgrounds, Brooks as an example. Or that cycling came about as a form of transportation opposed to or likened to the horse....

Regardless anyone have any feedback?

I think the cycling cap is relatively modern. If you look at old photos of the TdF, you see riders wearing all sorts of caps. (the caps give the riders a sort of individual character. )

If you look at old horse racing paintings from Stubbs or Alfred Munnings, you see Jockey caps in various sizes.

The real oddity is mounting the bike from the left. You traditionally mount a horse from the left because men carried swords on the left. (Easier to swing right leg over without a sword in the way) Even cyclecross jerseys have the shoulder pad on the right shoulder because they expect you to mount from the left.

Birddog
04-20-2014, 06:12 PM
Even cyclecross jerseys have the shoulder pad on the right shoulder because they expect you to mount from the left. I think people shoulder the bike on the right more because of the chainrings than anything else.

witcombusa
04-20-2014, 07:09 PM
The real oddity is mounting the bike from the left. You traditionally mount a horse from the left because men carried swords on the left. (Easier to swing right leg over without a sword in the way) Even cyclecross jerseys have the shoulder pad on the right shoulder because they expect you to mount from the left.

Same with motorcycles (and what if you were a lefty?!).

Cicli
04-20-2014, 07:12 PM

Or maybe it was easier to carry a horse on your right shoulder so we carry cyclocross bikes on the right shoulder? :confused:

Birddog
04-20-2014, 07:22 PM
Most righties elevate from the left foot. If you drive to the basket to make a right handed layup which foot do you elevate from?

Mark McM
04-21-2014, 10:25 AM
Most righties elevate from the left foot. If you drive to the basket to make a right handed layup which foot do you elevate from?

Exactly. I suspect that one of the main reasons that the bicycle drivetrain is on the right is that most people mount from the left.

Rada
04-21-2014, 10:57 AM

Not a very good analogy. As a righty the only time I use my left to elevate is in a layup in basketball. This has more to do with the angle to the basket than anything.

jmoore
04-21-2014, 11:19 AM
Not a very good analogy. As a righty the only time I use my left to elevate is in a layup in basketball. This has more to do with the angle to the basket than anything.

If you are shooting with your right hand and taking off of one foot, it will likely be the left foot regardless of angle to the basket.

IMO, it's a good analogy. Look at any kind of jump in track and field. Virtually ll the jumpers take off from the opposite foot of their dominate hand. High, long and triple jumpers all do. So do pole vaulters, which is dang close to a long jump.

All throwing motions plant opposite foot forward as well. So there is obviously some biomechanical advantage to this opposite motion.

Mark McM
04-21-2014, 12:26 PM
IMO, it's a good analogy. Look at any kind of jump in track and field. Virtually ll the jumpers take off from the opposite foot of their dominate hand. High, long and triple jumpers all do. So do pole vaulters, which is dang close to a long jump.

The hurdles (track and field) may be an even closer analogy, as it is closer to a straddling motion, and there is no bias to one side or the other as would be for a one handed throwing/shooting motion. Like the general population, most hurdlers are right handed, and the vast majority of right handed hurdlers use their right leg as the lead (the first leg over the hurdle).

bewheels
04-21-2014, 01:14 PM
Is there any record of interesting thread drifts?
I would nominate this thread as a good candidate ...

flydhest
04-22-2014, 07:06 AM
hmmm. more thread drift. I was a Div I NCAA hurdler. Always hurdled left foot forward, that is took off of right foot. used to high jump in high school, and was left foot take off. two very different motions.

Birddog
04-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Most righties takeoff, project, thrust, whatever you want to call it from the left foot. Alternatively, they do things like kicking with their right foot. I am s ski instructor and when we teach beginners we do a drill called the "scooter" where with one ski on we push ourselves around in a circle first one direction then the other alternating the ski. After the drill I always ask the nubes which way was easier. 95% or more say that with ski on right leg, circling to the left and pushing with left leg is easier. I always ask the ones who say otherwise if they are lefties and the answer is pretty much 100% yes. Right handers do things like steering better with the right leg and pushing with the left.

Md3000
04-22-2014, 03:20 PM
!?!?!?
But what happened to the caps??? No one????

Mark McM
04-22-2014, 04:21 PM
hmmm. more thread drift. I was a Div I NCAA hurdler. Always hurdled left foot forward, that is took off of right foot. used to high jump in high school, and was left foot take off. two very different motions.

There are always exceptions to every rule. For example, most right handed people are right eye dominant, so SLR cameras are made for people to use their right eye on the viewfinder. Although I'm right handed, I'm left eye dominant, and using my left eye on the viewfinder. This places many of the camera controls in more awkward positions than they are for right eyed users.

Just like bicycles, cameras are made for righties, not lefties - just like most people will naturally use their right eye on the view finder, most people will naturally mount a bike by throwing their right leg over the bike.

While you may have naturally hurdled with your left foot forward, was that normal, or an exception?

flydhest
04-22-2014, 08:23 PM
normal. there was a pretty even distribution among the people I race against over the many years I raced.

one issue that makes hurdling so different is that you are not jumping up. a big part of the technique and drive comes from bringing the trailing leg through. very distinct from high jumping where you are driving the non-takeoff leg up