PDA

View Full Version : Any issue leaving steerer tube above stem?

bikerboy337
04-19-2014, 07:48 PM
Haven't quite got the fit down on my latest build, running and enve fork and currently have about 1-inch above the stem... Going to cut it, but would like to nail the fit before I cut...

Any issue running it like this for a bit (besides the fact it looks horrible). Final cut will leave a 5mm spacer above stem, but that's it.

christian
04-19-2014, 07:53 PM
Nah I have at least 2cm above the stem on my Colnago. It looks shabby but works fine and is safe.

eddief
04-19-2014, 08:12 PM
take your time, make sure you are dialed in, worry about looks later, ride another 100 miles, think twice...then cut.

cfox
04-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Issue? If it is a carbon steerer tube, it's safer/better for the steerer to have a bit poking up above the stem. It ensures that the stem bolts are clamping equally on the tube and that the top of the tube isn't getting pinched. When you get your fit dialed, just chop it down so there is 3mm poking up above the stem, then you can just use a 5mm spacer on top. That is standard practice and looks fine.

David Kirk
04-19-2014, 08:40 PM
just to parrot the rest - it's totally cool to leave steerer above the stem.

dave

Louis
04-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Nah I have at least 2cm above the stem on my Colnago.

I say we ban Christian from the forum. 5mm is OK, 1cm is pushing it, 2 cm is totally unacceptable.

Veloo
04-19-2014, 10:07 PM
Here's my email to ENVE when I was tweaking my stem height and their reply:

ME: The stem clamp has been lowered to a point that is below the compression plug area. What is your recommended clamp torque for the steerer tube/ stem. I am running a Ritchey classic aluminum stem. Does it make a difference if the stem is at or away from the compression plug area when determining clamp force?

ENVE: It is not recommended that you clamp outside of the compression plug, but it is ok to do so. The torque should not exceed 6nm. I would only do this temporarily and once you determine the exact positioning for the stem then cut the steerer tube so that the compression plug can reinforce the clamping zone.

fogrider
04-19-2014, 10:38 PM
Issue? If it is a carbon steerer tube, it's safer/better for the steerer to have a bit poking up above the stem. It ensures that the stem bolts are clamping equally on the tube and that the top of the tube isn't getting pinched. When you get your fit dialed, just chop it down so there is 3mm poking up above the stem, then you can just use a 5mm spacer on top. That is standard practice and looks fine.

I agree, leave about an inch above the stem, that way if you want to raise it in the future, you have something to work with. I too don't want to crush the end of the steerer tube. I typically back off the top bolt about 1/8 of a turn compared to the lower bolt.

Gummee
04-20-2014, 07:06 AM
I leave a bunch on top of the top of the stem for re-sale. I can sell a long fork to lots more people than I can a fork cut to my exact measurements.

No, it doesn't look as good, but oh well.

M

oldpotatoe
04-20-2014, 07:19 AM
Haven't quite got the fit down on my latest build, running and enve fork and currently have about 1-inch above the stem... Going to cut it, but would like to nail the fit before I cut...

Any issue running it like this for a bit (besides the fact it looks horrible). Final cut will leave a 5mm spacer above stem, but that's it.

Nope...have done this all the time on a new bike...

saab2000
04-20-2014, 07:20 AM
I would say the only caveat here is that the stem should still be attached over the expander to the greatest extent possible.

happycampyer
04-20-2014, 07:37 AM
Luckily for christian the expander on the Colnago is super long, longer even than the Specialized expanders. So he can slum it for as long as he wants (he just leaves it like that to mock me because I needed that much steerer).

If you can find one, the Specialized expanders are great—nearly twice as long as the ones that come with an Enve fork.

Bob Ross
04-20-2014, 09:59 AM
take your time, make sure you are dialed in, worry about looks later, ride another 100 miles, think twice...then cut.

^^^This...except for me, I'd probably ride another 1,000 miles before committing!

My body awareness vacillates between Insensitive and Indifferent, so it's really difficult for me to decide whether minor fit tweaks make the desired difference...or any difference.

Ahneida Ride
04-20-2014, 10:09 AM
I say we ban Christian from the forum. 5mm is OK, 1cm is pushing it, 2 cm is totally unacceptable.

Put him in double secret probation !

cause I have a spacer above my stem also.

christian
04-20-2014, 10:18 AM
(he just leaves it like that to mock me because I needed that much steerer).I leave it like that because one day I'll find a 57 level TT Extreme Power or C59 in ST02, and then this one is getting sold...

Elefantino
04-20-2014, 10:38 AM
It's OK as long as you have the top cap installed. Otherwise it's a chest hole punch.

happycampyer
04-20-2014, 12:00 PM
I leave it like that because one day I'll find a 57 level TT Extreme Power or C59 in ST02, and then this one is getting sold...

I keeed, I keeed. Anyway, that Colnago expander is at least 3" long.

dogdriver
04-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Guilty. 3mm-1cm on all my bikes (though the 1cm looks a little goofy). My lapsed engineer's brain thinks it helps the compression cap suck down the stem more evenly...

Waldo
04-20-2014, 03:55 PM
I ride 60cm frames and don't bother cutting the steerer at all. I pass plenty of riders with slammed stems on every ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neil
04-20-2014, 03:58 PM
With the paint and the mudguard eyelets my ENVE RD fork is now worth about as much as the Millennium Falcon, so I've left plenty of steerer whilst I make absolutely certain that the stem height is correct.

I believe (please correct me if I am wrong here) that you can't saw more on...

ultraman6970
04-20-2014, 04:06 PM
If you leave some of the steering can help you if you want to sell the fork or the bike with that fork installed because will leave some room to the new owner.

At least here I have notice that if the fork was cut too low it hurts the sell...

have fun with the built.