PDA

View Full Version : Live in Colorado? - AAA to cover bikes

William
04-18-2014, 07:03 AM
AAA's Roadside Assistance to Include Bicycles

AAA Colorado is expanding roadside assistance to include bicycles for its 575,000 members statewide. Effective May 1, 2014, transportation service will be provided for members when their bicycle is disabled or inoperable, with no increase in membership dues. This service applies to all bicycles and tandems, including rental bicycles and bicycle trailers, as long as service can be safely delivered using normal servicing equipment.

"Offering bicycle service is another great benefit for our AAA Colorado members and we're proud to be one of the first AAA clubs in the United States to do so," said Tony DeNovellis, CEO and President of AAA Colorado. "Riding bicycles is becoming more popular, as Coloradans are concerned about fitness, the economy and the environment. Whether our members are riding for fun or commuting to work, we'll be there to offer assistance if their bicycle breaks down."

Colorado is ranked as the second most bike friendly state by the League of American Bicyclists, with 19 bicycle friendly communities. According to Bicycle Colorado, no other state has more gold- and platinum-rated Bicycle-Friendly Communities than Colorado....

http://303cycling.com/AAA-CO-Roadside-Assistance-to-Include-Bicycles

William

Mr. Pink
04-18-2014, 08:33 AM
Wow. Legal weed, cheap skiing, and an effective 24/7 sag wagon. Awesome.

"Hello? Can you hear me? Yeah, Mt. Adams. How? Oh, ok, just get off at Idaho Springs and go up. And up. And up. I'll be waiting."

zennmotion
04-18-2014, 09:43 AM
This is window dressing against their evil ways. While it may be beneficial for certain Phreds and hapless tubular users, AAA is still a major lobbying power that they use against our self interest on bike related legislation and public transportation. If you can get roadside assistance through your auto insurance do it, AAA sucks.

TBDSeattle
04-18-2014, 10:48 AM
This is window dressing against their evil ways. While it may be beneficial for certain Phreds and hapless tubular users, AAA is still a major lobbying power that they use against our self interest on bike related legislation and public transportation. If you can get roadside assistance through your auto insurance do it, AAA sucks.

I have heard this about AAA from many other sources. Yet I have had AAA for a couple of years, because I while I was in grad school, I had very old, and unreliable, car that would break down. $100 a year to give me piece of mind was worth supporting this institution at that time. I got got more than my $100 in service every year!

I have a much more reliable car now, but I still have their service. I am risk adverse, and the cost benefit analysis for me suggests that $100 per year to cover me, my wife, and anyone that I'm accompanying in the event of a breakdown, flat tire, etc. is a bargain.

I'd love to discontinue my support of them in favor of an auto insurance company. Do you have any recommendations of car insurance brokers that offer similar service, or that you have found are as reliable as AAA?

Also, I'll point out that auto insurance companies don't exactly have a glittering reputation with bicycles either. I've dealt with more than one, and ever time I've been frustrated. Do you have some insights to which auto insurance companies are more bike friendly?

Shortsocks
04-18-2014, 10:53 AM

Wait are you telling me that I can call AAA now, if I need help or a pick up, instead of my wife? Wait. This was the entire reason I got married in the first place. I now can go ahead with my divorce. :eek:

Thanks corporate America!

weiwentg
04-18-2014, 10:56 AM

This has been true in DC. The AAAs have generally lobbied for policies that favor drivers, like not narrowing city lanes, like lobbying against speed and traffic cameras, like not supporting bike lanes. I know not all of us live in cities. And we are much different from the regular commuters who would benefit from street use policies that are NOT car-first. But the fact is that they make all cyclists safer, and the AAA is opposing that, so I'd urge you to be careful about supporting the AAA.

sngk
04-18-2014, 12:39 PM
I hadn't heard this about AAA. Not that I doubt what you all are saying; I just hadn't thought about it.
Do any of you have links or citations with some more detail about these (arguably) anti-bicycle lobbying activities?

Nebby
04-18-2014, 12:48 PM
A quick search found this article, which seems to support the idea that AAA likes to keep funding for cars:

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/7281/aaa-more-cycle-friendly-except-where-money-is-concerned/

dnades
04-18-2014, 01:10 PM
Although AAA got me great service when I needed it in the past (twice) I gave it up when I found out about their lobbying efforts. Got this instead: https://www.betterworldclub.com/

I have not had to use it yet so I can't speak to its effectiveness/coverage but I do feel better sending my money to them.

William
04-18-2014, 01:55 PM
If cycling is becoming popular enough in CO. to be popping up on their radar, they're probably just trying to straddle the fence. I mean, seriously, how many roadside assistance calls would they really get for road cyclists? Pay for the piece of mind of coverage, but not many use = $ in the bank. Plus if they see cyclists as a possible growing lobbying group, its good to be on their side as well.

Just saying'...

William

leftyfreak
04-18-2014, 02:15 PM
www.betterworldclub.com has been offering bicycle roadside assistance for a long time and many consider it a good alternative to AAA.

Mr. Pink
04-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Yeah, it's true. I'm a member, and wasn't too happy to read an editorial in the magazine they send me talking down NYC bike lanes and Citibike. I wrote them telling them about my unhappiness.