PDA

View Full Version : leaving Competitive Cyclist...

thwart
04-17-2014, 06:13 PM
I know the company has been diluted/changed/etc over the past coupla yrs… but seems like this departure is notable.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/learn/last-tango-in-park-city?

David Kirk
04-17-2014, 06:26 PM
Interesting - not surprising but certainly interesting.

I wonder where he will land?

dave

Climb01742
04-17-2014, 08:15 PM
For me, Andy Clark and Brendan were CC. But CC was also Little Rock too. It had a soul when they were there and they were in LR. Another death knell was when the new owners redesigned the website. CC was the long copy descriptions and great photos. After the redesign, I asked someone at CC why they did it. The answer was to make the site more search friendly. The new owners missed the whole reason we loved CC. Because it was friendly to the passion many of us have for the sport and its objects.

Johnny P
04-17-2014, 08:50 PM
for me, andy clark and brendan were cc. But cc was also little rock too. It had a soul when they were there and they were in lr. Another death knell was when the new owners redesigned the website. Cc was the long copy descriptions and great photos. After the redesign, i asked someone at cc why they did it. The answer was to make the site more search friendly. The new owners missed the whole reason we loved cc. Because it was friendly to the passion many of us have for the sport and its objects.

+1

moose8
04-17-2014, 08:54 PM
I noticed that before the sale the salespeople seemed to unquestionably know more than me about bike stuff, but when they moved the people were still very nice but didn't know as much - more like they were reading the descriptions of items or compatibility off the internet rather than having a conversation to help me figure out what to buy. Of course like always I could be completely wrong, but that's what it felt like to me.

ultraman6970
04-17-2014, 08:56 PM
They redesigned the site and they just lost me as a client. IMHO, the site just shucks and looks like i was not the only one that did not like it. When a search takes longer than before is not an improvement.

For me, Andy Clark and Brendan were CC. But CC was also Little Rock too. It had a soul when they were there and they were in LR. Another death knell was when the new owners redesigned the website. CC was the long copy descriptions and great photos. After the redesign, I asked someone at CC why they did it. The answer was to make the site more search friendly. The new owners missed the whole reason we loved CC. Because it was friendly to the passion many of us have for the sport and its objects.

bluesea
04-17-2014, 09:08 PM
Andy was a good guy.

FlashUNC
04-17-2014, 09:24 PM
Was only a matter of time after the sale.

MattTuck
04-17-2014, 09:51 PM
Yep, I liked their videos and product descriptions. Were entertaining as well as informative.

The last thing I got from them was actually through Amazon, but they fulfilled the order, white bar tape -- it had some yellowish stains like it had been left out in the sun for too long.

I'll be avoiding them in the future.

pdmtong
04-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Andy was a good guy.

his phone persona was different than his video persona

Climb01742
04-18-2014, 05:50 AM

Everyone has had different experiences, but every interaction I had with Andy or Brendan, they were unfailingly good guys, and in fact went the extra mile every time.

roydyates
04-18-2014, 07:44 PM
Never got to know anyone at CC, I was just a cheapskate customer who shopped for the serious 70% off sales. Now I don't seem to shop there anymore. When they now have ads with blowout prices, the inventory is just a few odd size leftovers ... like Nashbar,

bluesea
04-18-2014, 07:56 PM

True that. Upon request he proffered a discount code and a low stack headset top, when I ordered a short CS R3.

bobswire
04-18-2014, 11:18 PM
I just ordered a helmet from them yesterday morning and received a notice that it was shipped that evening plus it sold for half original price. Whats not to like, I'm not looking for a relationship.

pdmtong
04-18-2014, 11:23 PM
True that. Upon request he proffered a discount code and a low stack headset top, when I ordered a short CS R3.

well, for me he was always less than helpful. attitude like he couldn't be bothered. ironically he went to the other place I used to love - speedgoat.

the goat is gone and CC isnt what it used to be.

Kirk Pacenti
04-19-2014, 06:57 AM
Certainly the best on line bike store ever built. Brendan's writing is fantastic, and in my opinion what made CC what it was. The photography was excellent too. It's pretty rare that a reseller does a better job promoting the products they sell better than the manufacturer does, but I think CC almost always did. Does anyone have Brendan's contact info? I have wanted to hire him to write copy for me, for years...

oldpotatoe
04-19-2014, 07:00 AM
I just ordered a helmet from them yesterday morning and received a notice that it was shipped that evening plus it sold for half original price. Whats not to like, I'm not looking for a relationship.

Agree..too often they seems like

LJohnny
04-19-2014, 08:52 AM
Certainly the best on line bike store ever built. Brendan's writing is fantastic, and in my opinion what made CC what it was. The photography was excellent too. It's pretty rare that a reseller does a better job promoting the products they sell better than the manufacturer does, but I think CC almost always did. Does anyone have Brendan's contact info? I have wanted to hire him to write copy for me, for years...

He is a member here. I am not sure how frequently he checks in...

Vientomas
04-19-2014, 09:07 AM
I purchased a few items from CC over the years but I stopped when they began to allow the lying doper Michael Barry to post on their website to promote himself and his books.

rustychisel
04-19-2014, 09:23 AM
I purchased a few items from CC over the years but I stopped when they began to allow the lying doper Michael Barry to post on their website to promote himself and his books.

ok, but I can see the point you're making but you could be getting a real long line of 'not going there's'. Maybe you need to boycott every store selling Chris Carmichael books, videos and snake oil. Personally, I'd suggest a fatwah against any muppet who ever wore a Livestrong band. There was a certain 'holier -than-thou' attitude which seemed to come with the pricetag.

bobswire
04-19-2014, 10:13 AM
ok, but I can see the point you're making but you could be getting a real long line of 'not going there's'. Maybe you need to boycott every store selling Chris Carmichael books, videos and snake oil. Personally, I'd suggest a fatwah against any muppet who ever wore a Livestrong band. There was a certain 'holier -than-thou' attitude which seemed to come with the pricetag.

I wore one in honor of my Mother who died from cancer as did many others. I don't know where the " 'holier -than-thou' factored into it? Most were simple folks, not really into the whole cycling scene like us. If anything the opposite is true, you know the racer type mentality who were too cool to even consider wearing a band.

Vientomas
04-19-2014, 10:23 AM

I perceive a difference between giving a liar a podium from which to speak as opposed to simply selling the liar's goods. Does each store hawking Carmichael's "goods" give him an opportunity to post articles and stories on the vendor's website?

But like my departed Mother used to say: "To each his own". I simply stated what I did and why. I don't need, want or expect everyone to agree.

It is a nice day today. Once it warms up a bit. I am out for a ride. I hope you get out today as well. :)

oldpotatoe
04-19-2014, 11:22 AM

and another-

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/04/gallery/pro-bike-gallery-joe-schmalz_324765

How is Hincapie even allowed to be in professional cycling? In any form??

Sorry for the tangent, making this a 'dopers suck' thread....