PDA

View Full Version : Pills found at Paris-Roubaix

LegendRider
04-17-2014, 08:14 AM
This should be fun:

http://road.cc/content/news/116763-british-fan-passes-vial-pills-found-during-paris-roubaix-uk-anti-doping

93legendti
04-17-2014, 08:27 AM
It's Lance's fault

jr59
04-17-2014, 08:29 AM
Only to the people that think pro cycling is clean. Or trying to get that way.

I've said it many times before, I'll say it again; Pro cycling is a dirty sport. ALWAYS has been, and for the forrseeable future, always will be.

Mr. Pink
04-17-2014, 08:29 AM
Veterinary equipment supplier? Hmmmmm. Either way, somebody needs a life.

nooneline
04-17-2014, 08:55 AM
So, we have a vial of pills and proof of what they are and who they belonged to, but the person who found them isn't saying what they are or who they belonged to.

And we are supposed to assume that somebody in a heavily televised bike race was riding around with illicit drugs in their pocket? That they'd take during the race?

This all seems fairly unlikely.

jpw
04-17-2014, 08:58 AM
So, we have a vial of pills and proof of what they are and who they belonged to, but the person who found them isn't saying what they are or who they belonged to.

And we are supposed to assume that somebody in a heavily televised bike race was riding around with illicit drugs in their pocket? That they'd take during the race?

This all seems fairly unlikely.

it depends what the drugs turn out to be upon analysis. fast acting stimulants are of possible use to an athlete in a long race like PR.

the identity of the rider must be out there on the web. hard to keep it a secret for very long. a badly ripped jersey from a crash at mid point on the par course. who could that be?:confused::)

MattTuck
04-17-2014, 09:05 AM
it depends what the drugs turn out to be upon analysis. fast acting stimulants are of possible use to an athlete in a long race like PR.

the identity of the rider must be out there on the web. hard to keep it a secret for very long. a badly ripped jersey from a crash at mid point on the par course. who could that be?:confused::)

Let the web sleuths start sleuthing. Maybe this should have its own Reddit discussion.

I still can't imagine riding in a race like Paris Roubaix, and taking a vial out of your jersey pocket in the middle of the peloton. How could you do that in secret? I'd think the sougniers would just dissolve it in a bottle for you?

zennmotion
04-17-2014, 09:09 AM
TUE/allergy meds (it's pollen season) taken on the line with an additional dose intended for several hours in? Maybe not so nefarious

rwsaunders
04-17-2014, 09:29 AM
From the article it sounds pretty clear who the vial belonged to and it also appears they will know of the contents rather quickly. I carry an EpiPen with me, so the sight of that falling out of my jersey would sure freak people out.

soulspinner
04-17-2014, 10:07 AM
TUE/allergy meds (it's pollen season) taken on the line with an additional dose intended for several hours in? Maybe not so nefarious

Sure, and hes got a script for it....:)

CunegoFan
04-17-2014, 10:32 AM
http://oi62.tinypic.com/15zfjwy.jpg

Could not have been Wiggins. He puts his in the leg of his shorts.

bobswire
04-17-2014, 10:55 AM
From the article it sounds pretty clear who the vial belonged to and it also appears they will know of the contents rather quickly. I carry an EpiPen with me, so the sight of that falling out of my jersey would sure freak people out.

Even if it did prove to be illegal substance I doubt anything could be done about beyond suspicion because of time lapse and chain of custody.

Idris Icabod
04-17-2014, 11:02 AM
I still can't imagine riding in a race like Paris Roubaix, and taking a vial out of your jersey pocket in the middle of the peloton. How could you do that in secret? I'd think the sougniers would just dissolve it in a bottle for you?

Absolutely. Every interview I read now with older pros tout how lucky the younger riders are to enter the pro ranks in such a clean era and the younger pros seem to despise the dopers, so would someone snapping open a vial during a race be tolerated.

saab2000
04-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Isn't this sort of like saying that beer was found at a college frat party and underage drinking may have taken place? Dog bites man?

veloduffer
04-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Don't worry, it's only mineral water. ;-)

tiretrax
04-17-2014, 12:19 PM
isn't this sort of like saying that beer was found at a college frat party and underage drinking may have taken place? Dog bites man?

+1

josephr
04-17-2014, 12:37 PM

electrolyte capsules?

ultraman6970
04-17-2014, 02:11 PM
Wonder if this is the right picture, if it is... chan chan chaaaaaaaaaaaannnnn

jojobos
04-17-2014, 03:18 PM
incredible picture..

54ny77
04-17-2014, 03:51 PM
wiggins looks great in that photo. finally got some meat back on the bones (although that's the camera talkin' and in reality he's probably still remarkably thin).

he had a great race. what a motor.

bikinchris
04-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Only to the people that think pro cycling is clean. Or trying to get that way.

I've said it many times before, I'll say it again; ALL sports are dirty, especially professional sports. ALWAYS has been, and for the forrseeable future, always will be.

There, fixed that for you. Except to mention that the current sportscasters who pretend that all sports besides cycling are not full of drug addled cheaters are not fooling anyone except those who either want to be fooled, or are stupid.

jr59
04-17-2014, 08:48 PM
There, fixed that for you. Except to mention that the current sportscasters who pretend that all sports besides cycling are not full of drug addled cheaters are not fooling anyone except those who either want to be fooled, or are stupid.

Please do not edit my posts! Feel free to disagree all you wish, but do not use your opinion to edit mine!

pbarry
04-17-2014, 09:06 PM
Really hoping the vial contains a homeopathic remedy, just so the netosphere will quiet down. Dude who took this public looks like a player from his comments and line of work.

Where was the vial stored before picked up by "authorities"/USADA/Whomever? Any good first year LS student could get the thin accusations dismissed, (unless A and B samples match from the un-named rider).

Admiral Ackbar
04-17-2014, 09:09 PM
what a load of moronic BS going on here.

pbarry
04-17-2014, 09:11 PM
^ High brow comment. :banana:

jpw
04-18-2014, 03:29 AM
what a load of moronic BS going on here.

this is the paceline:) lol

soulspinner
04-18-2014, 05:17 AM
this is the paceline:) lol

Oh, its not just limited to the Paceline forum.....

Gummee
04-18-2014, 06:55 AM
Please do not edit my posts! Feel free to disagree all you wish, but do not use your opinion to edit mine!

what possible difference does it make if he edits a post or posts up his own version?

What's said is said. Its been thrown out there for all to read/see. You lost 'control' over it when you hit 'submit reply.'

My $.02: You roll over enough rocks, you'll find bugs.

M

ANAO
04-18-2014, 07:17 AM

It's sportlegs, I SWEAR!!

unterhausen
04-18-2014, 07:38 AM
what possible difference does it make if he edits a post or posts up his own version?
if a quote is "fixed," there should be some effort made to show where the differenece was. Bolding the changed words is a good way.

I do agree that all sports are incredibly dirty. U.S. pro sports guys must laugh when people go on about how dirty cycling is. Doping in U.S. football is nowhere near as advanced because there is very little testing. And I'm sure baseball isn't as clean as they want to pretend, it's just that they've had to hide it better, like cycling.

93legendti
04-18-2014, 08:19 AM
"“It will absolutely be possible to pinpoint who the vial belongs to. I have 34 in-sequence photographs from about 15ft away, pin sharp. In one of them you can actually see the vial falling from the rider’s pocket."

But no such photo posted...

Grant McLean
04-18-2014, 08:39 AM
Seems to me the contents of the vial should be identified before the rider.
If there is nothing more than caffeine or Advil in the tube, you can put
away the pitchforks. If it was something illegal, why wouldnt they put it in a
powerbar or clif package?

jpw
04-18-2014, 08:45 AM
"“It will absolutely be possible to pinpoint who the vial belongs to. I have 34 in-sequence photographs from about 15ft away, pin sharp. In one of them you can actually see the vial falling from the rider’s pocket."

But no such photo posted...

he wants a media company to buy the photo rights. i assume his price is too high, and the rider is too obscure.

93legendti
04-18-2014, 08:49 AM
he wants a media company to buy the photo rights. i assume his price is too high, and the rider is too obscure.

Ah, altruism...;) I am sure he has a great chain of custody...

BumbleBeeDave
04-18-2014, 09:00 AM
Please let's keep it classy here, guys. Unterhausen is right. Modifying a quote to make a point is permitted, but do some thing to clearly show what change you've made. Make it boldface. Make it a different color. Make it bigger.

Just make it obvious.

Thanks.

BBD

moose8
04-18-2014, 09:09 AM

And any price is probably too high for a picture of someone dropping a vial of electrolyte tablets. If people are racing at that level and doping they have to be more discreet than that or they would have been caught while coming up the ranks I would think.

earlfoss
04-18-2014, 11:27 AM
This whole story seems like a hoax to me.

Llewellyn
04-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Surely not even the dumbest rider would carry some illegal pills with him during a race.

tiretrax
04-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Surely not even the dumbest rider would carry some illegal pills with him during a race.

Not since Tom Simpson.

bikinchris
04-18-2014, 06:53 PM
Please let's keep it classy here, guys. Unterhausen is right. Modifying a quote to make a point is permitted, but do some thing to clearly show what change you've made. Make it boldface. Make it a different color. Make it bigger.

Just make it obvious.

Thanks.

BBD

I stand corrected. At the risk of another brow beating, I have edited my own opinion of that post to show in bold.

bikinchris
04-18-2014, 06:57 PM
if a quote is "fixed," there should be some effort made to show where the differenece was. Bolding the changed words is a good way.

I do agree that all sports are incredibly dirty. U.S. pro sports guys must laugh when people go on about how dirty cycling is. Doping in U.S. football is nowhere near as advanced because there is very little testing. And I'm sure baseball isn't as clean as they want to pretend, it's just that they've had to hide it better, like cycling.

A cyclist once said drug testing in cycling is really an IQ test. Only the dumb get caught. In the other professional American sports, you have to have an IQ of 30 to get caught. They give the NFL, MLB and NBA players notice days before testing them. If they did that in cycling no one would have ever been caught.

Shoeman
04-18-2014, 10:27 PM
Let The Best Doper Win:banana:

gavingould
04-19-2014, 12:30 AM
I think this will turn out to be totally innocuous.

victoryfactory
04-19-2014, 07:49 AM
Please let's keep it classy here, guys. Modifying a quote to make a point is NOT allowed.
It's discourteous and confuses the original poster's message. Please
use your own separate words to comment on somebody else's quote.

Thanks.

BBD

"Fixed it" for you

VF

jr59
04-19-2014, 08:09 AM
A cyclist once said drug testing in cycling is really an IQ test. Only the dumb get caught. In the other professional American sports, you have to have an IQ of 30 to get caught. They give the NFL, MLB and NBA players notice days before testing them. If they did that in cycling no one would have ever been caught.

I would want to know just how many NBA players you know well enough to get this idea from? I can't and won't speak for the NFL or MLB,although I know a couple of NFL guys, BUT I can speak for the NBA guys and ell you this is not at all the truth of it.

Seeing as I know about 15 guys on rosters this year and that s down as some of the guys are starting to retire now. It was over 35 at one point. BTW; I'm not talking about meeting them. I'm talking about picking up the phone and calling them, or going to their family's house for birthdays and such.

This is just something that people think. I'm not saying that they have the controls that cycling does. But the facts are the teams/coaches/trainers have zero advance notice of these things in the NBA! Regardless of what the movies show you!

ultraman6970
04-19-2014, 08:18 AM
What the guy needs to do is to send the picture of the rider but zoomed just to show the area where the stuff is... By the way there's a lot of multivitamin that comes in special containers and probably arent doping either.

BumbleBeeDave
04-19-2014, 09:36 PM
"Fixed it" for you

VF

. . . but editing other's quotes WHILE MAKING IT OBVIOUS has been an accepted device here for as long as I've been on this board as either a member or a mod--and it seems to have worked fine for the past thirteen years.

If you'd like to disagree, then go ahead, but I can think of several more polite ways you could have done it.

BBD

FixedGear
04-20-2014, 10:15 AM
Isn't this sort of like saying that beer was found at a college frat party and underage drinking may have taken place? Dog bites man?

Agree absolutely.

jpw
04-20-2014, 10:38 AM
Agree absolutely.

i would absolutely agree if the drugs had been carried in a condom.

Grant McLean
07-01-2014, 01:39 PM
Seems to me the contents of the vial should be identified before the rider.
If there is nothing more than caffeine or Advil in the tube, you can put
away the pitchforks. If it was something illegal, why wouldnt they put it in a
powerbar or clif package?

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENewsDetails2011.asp?id=MTAwNzM&MenuId=MTI2Mjc&LangId=1&BackLink=%2Ftemplates%2FUCI%2FUCI7%2Flayout%2Easp% 3FMenuId%3DMTI2Mjc%26LangId%3D1

ibuprofen, caffeine, theophylline and quinine... nothing banned

soulspinner
07-01-2014, 02:37 PM
http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENewsDetails2011.asp?id=MTAwNzM&MenuId=MTI2Mjc&LangId=1&BackLink=%2Ftemplates%2FUCI%2FUCI7%2Flayout%2Easp% 3FMenuId%3DMTI2Mjc%26LangId%3D1

After all that...:p

velotrack
07-01-2014, 02:50 PM
Why was that all in his jersey pocket?

zennmotion
07-01-2014, 03:26 PM

Quinine? Is there malaria in Belgium now??

duke
07-01-2014, 03:28 PM
IB for the headache from reporters asking doping questions. Caffeine for the lack of sleep the night before worrying about the doping program. Theophylline for hyper-ventilating when WADA shows up at your door. Quinine on the chance there are Anopheles mosquitos around carrying malaria.

malcolm
07-01-2014, 03:49 PM
some folks use quinine for cramps, leg cramps in particular. not common for years.

rwsaunders
07-01-2014, 04:27 PM
some folks use quinine for cramps, leg cramps in particular. not common for years.

Some use it with gin...:cool:

gasman
07-01-2014, 04:42 PM

Because it doesn't work unless it's mixed with good gin.

malcolm
07-01-2014, 05:09 PM
Because it doesn't work unless it's mixed with good gin.

Exactly. Although how much stuff do we currently use that doesn't work? Placebo is strong medicine. Azithromycin seems to cure a lot of cold viruses and allergies. Topic for another day. Think I'll have some gin, sans quinine.

rwsaunders
07-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Exactly. Although how much stuff do we currently use that doesn't work? Placebo is strong medicine. Azithromycin seems to cure a lot of cold viruses and allergies. Topic for another day. Think I'll have some gin, sans quinine.

Dave Thompson recently sold me some Mercurochrome from his stash in Mexico...

malcolm
07-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Dave Thompson recently sold me some Mercurochrome from his stash in Mexico...

Be careful it has tequila in it!!

gasman
07-01-2014, 07:11 PM

I agree. In 50 years they will think of us as practicing worthless medicine.

nooneline
07-02-2014, 08:38 AM
Exactly. Although how much stuff do we currently use that doesn't work? Placebo is strong medicine. Azithromycin seems to cure a lot of cold viruses and allergies.

heh. my sweetheart had a doc look at some road rash that she suspected was getting infected. he told her, "Well, it's not infected, but if you want I can prescribe you some antibiotics."

#headsmack

malcolm
07-02-2014, 08:47 AM
heh. my sweetheart had a doc look at some road rash that she suspected was getting infected. he told her, "Well, it's not infected, but if you want I can prescribe you some antibiotics."

#headsmack

Unfortunately we all do it. I genuinely try not to most of the time, but expectations get the best of me.