PDA

View Full Version : Get a new helmet - with photos

TexasJohn
04-16-2014, 10:26 PM
Just joined my first MS150 ride from Houston to Austin. Completed the first day - 100 miles - no problem. Good thing a bought a new helmet before the trip because I crashed on mile 5 on day two! I accidentally crossed the rear wheel of my riding partner and went straight down going about 25 mph! I landed straight on my head and side, cracked the helmet in about 12 places and broke three ribs!! *Absolutely no head injuries whatsoever; the helmet completely absorbed the impact* Who knows what would have happened if I was wearing the old helmet (5+ years old) or none at all! I've been riding for over 8 years now, and I'm now an even bigger proponent of riding with helmet and making sure it's a newer model. So, trust me...get a new helmet.

wooly
04-17-2014, 01:43 AM
I'm glad your okay. I've crached at 25+ mph and it took me months to recover.

vqdriver
04-17-2014, 02:30 AM
3 ribs, ouch. Glad you're ok. Get better

Which helmet?

witcombusa
04-17-2014, 01:44 PM
"So, trust me...get a new helmet."

Or learn to ride safely with a group (or better yet solo)

wooly
04-17-2014, 04:26 PM

Witcombusa = http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100119153054/grouches/images/e/e1/Oscar_the_Grouch_2.jpg

jmoore
04-18-2014, 09:43 AM
I'm glad you are OK and not worse.

I will bet that a 5 year old, undamaged helmet would have worked the same as your new one. But certainly nothing wrong with a new helmet.

TexasJohn
04-18-2014, 09:44 AM
3 ribs, ouch. Glad you're ok. Get better

Which helmet?

Sorry for the delay...Thanks...feeling better every day. Specialized Chamonix...not expensive, about $50. It fit well.

oldpotatoe
04-18-2014, 09:52 AM
Sorry for the delay...Thanks...feeling better every day. Specialized Chamonix...not expensive, about $50. It fit well.

Fitting well, like a bike, most important thing. I had a $zillion Bell once, hated the fit, didn't wear it. Had a $60 Giro, did, wore it. All the marketing hoopla means nada if it isn't comfy(and may not mean anything anyway).

Dead Man
04-18-2014, 02:25 PM
How's the bike???

Dead Man
04-18-2014, 02:27 PM
I ride with my multi-sport Petzl Meteor III+. I get made fun of, but it's a helmet and I'm a minimalist (AKA poor student).

I do wonder sometimes if it offers me the best protection, though.. I ride a lot, and always in and around traffic.

Glad you're OK

Ahneida Ride
04-18-2014, 05:45 PM
Godspeed to a full recovery my friend !!!..

My best buddy fell last year, helmet saver her life.

TexasJohn
04-21-2014, 08:06 AM
I'm glad your okay. I've crached at 25+ mph and it took me months to recover.

Appreciated it Wooly; I estimate about the same for a full recovery.

TexasJohn
04-21-2014, 08:07 AM
I'm glad you are OK and not worse.

I will bet that a 5 year old, undamaged helmet would have worked the same as your new one. But certainly nothing wrong with a new helmet.

You're probably right...no way to know for sure. :) Thanks for the note.

TexasJohn
04-21-2014, 08:09 AM
How's the bike???

Surprisingly unscathed! One small scratch on the right shifter tip (covered it with a Sharpy), and a few scuffs on the grip tape and saddle. I was shocked.

TexasJohn
04-21-2014, 08:11 AM
I ride with my multi-sport Petzl Meteor III+. I get made fun of, but it's a helmet and I'm a minimalist (AKA poor student).

I do wonder sometimes if it offers me the best protection, though.. I ride a lot, and always in and around traffic.

Glad you're OK

Whatever works is best I guess. Thanks for the kind words.

TexasJohn
04-21-2014, 08:14 AM
Godspeed to a full recovery my friend !!!..

My best buddy fell last year, helmet saver her life.

Thanks for the words, and glad she's fine as well.

dogdriver
04-21-2014, 08:26 AM
Jeez. Glad you're (relatively) OK. Bro-in-law had a similar pack crash a few years ago, snapped off his femur and dislocated his shoulder.

Anyhow, can you post pics of the helmet? Not to be macrabe, but its instructive to see helmets in their "functional" mode. In case you haven't done it, you might want to contact the manufacturer-- some brands will give you a new helmet in exchange for a "used" one-- it helps their R&D guys and probably adds to their "glory" display.

redir
04-21-2014, 09:02 AM
Broken ribs suck, they are the worst. Been there done that though I didn't hit my head. Good luck on the recovery and as you now know, be careful overlapping wheels :D

TexasJohn
04-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Broken ribs suck, they are the worst. Been there done that though I didn't hit my head. Good luck on the recovery and as you now know, be careful overlapping wheels :D

Thanks for the good words and advice. I have learned that lesson the hard way! Never again...knock wood.

TexasJohn
04-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Jeez. Glad you're (relatively) OK. Bro-in-law had a similar pack crash a few years ago, snapped off his femur and dislocated his shoulder.

Anyhow, can you post pics of the helmet? Not to be macrabe, but its instructive to see helmets in their "functional" mode. In case you haven't done it, you might want to contact the manufacturer-- some brands will give you a new helmet in exchange for a "used" one-- it helps their R&D guys and probably adds to their "glory" display.

That's a really good idea. Will add a pic soon and contact them.

TexasJohn
04-21-2014, 11:19 AM
...be careful overlapping wheels :D

BTW...I was in the back of the pace line; my buddy did not go down nor did I take anyone behind me with me. Very fortunate in that regard.

tiretrax
04-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Sorry to hear about your crash. Were you worn out from camping? That has been the biggest concern I have about camping on a multi day event. I do a lot of camping with my son's Boy Scout troop, and it takes me at least a day to feel fully alert after a weekend event because my sleep is so fitful. I'd like to do RTR, or the like, but I'm concerned that I'd crash.

TexasJohn
04-21-2014, 04:58 PM
Were you worn out from camping?

That wasn't the issue. Got plenty of rest. I just got too close.

ptourkin
04-21-2014, 05:24 PM
My Las Victory courtesy of a botched descent of Mesa Grande in February:

TexasJohn
04-25-2014, 10:31 AM

Here are some pics of the inside and back of the helmet. Yes, my ribs still hurt. fyi...Spesh offers 20% crash discount off a new helmet if you return the broken one to one of their dealers.

BumbleBeeDave
04-25-2014, 11:05 AM
. . . and a cheap shot. :no:

Someday you may also slip up for one moment or somebody else may slip up and take you down and you will land on your head at 25 mph. I hope you're wearing a helmet when you do.

BBD

Ahneida Ride
04-25-2014, 12:30 PM
Snarky

My good buddy went down in a nano second.
She was about 20 ft in front of me.
I turned my head for a second to check on traffic
when I looked forward again. She was down.
She got caught in a rut.

She hit hard and really did not heal for months.
But she did fully heal, nothing broken and no damage to frame.

Her helmet cracked .... a Bell Metro Helmet.

I humbly submit for your consideration that the helmet save her life.

Dead Man
04-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Let he who has never gone down cast the first criticism.

ultraman6970
04-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Many groups are just not safe at all, because aren't organized groups but a "conglomerated" of dudes riding their bikes all together. Riding in 3 or 4 file in the street, drivers can't even guess what the guys are going to be next and in training is even worse.

Even the guys that look experienced they don't teach the other guys, and the guys that are new can't figure it out either, so now who do you blame? Maybe even the experienced ones never been thought how to ride in a group well, neither have the desire to help the newbies (competition), then you end up with weird crap happening all the time.

I've seen the same behavior in at least 4 states, lucky have like 40 more to go :p

ultraman6970
04-25-2014, 04:31 PM
How you feel better, ribs broken is not fun...

Do you know how to control the fall by any chance?

BTW...I was in the back of the pace line; my buddy did not go down nor did I take anyone behind me with me. Very fortunate in that regard.

TexasJohn
04-26-2014, 09:42 PM
How you feel better, ribs broken is not fun...

Do you know how to control the fall by any chance?

Must have controlled it well...the bike was fine! :-) They say I was still clipped in when I came to a stop. Had to remove my shoes to move the bike. But seriously, I went down so fast don't know how I could have controlled it. I'm curious about your advice. Please share.

dpk501
04-26-2014, 09:51 PM
Good to know a fellow cyclist is okay after a hard head hit. Speedy recoveries!

RacerJRP
04-26-2014, 09:54 PM
Sounds like it is time for some bump drills!