PDA

View Full Version : Using an old hub for a new drivetrain

merlinmurph
04-16-2014, 03:05 PM
I'm rebuilding my old Fat Chance (1994) mt bike with new stuff. The rear hub is an XT hub with a 7-sp cassette and I want to put a new 10-sp cassette on it. The dropout spacing looks OK.

What do I have to do with this hub?
I'm guessing:
- new (longer) cassette body
- re-dish wheel

Since the spacing is OK, I'm guessing the axle is OK???

Thanks and enjoy your ride, even though the temp dropped 30* since the weekend,
Murph

oldpotatoe
04-16-2014, 03:45 PM
I'm rebuilding my old Fat Chance (1994) mt bike with new stuff. The rear hub is an XT hub with a 7-sp cassette and I want to put a new 10-sp cassette on it. The dropout spacing looks OK.

What do I have to do with this hub?
I'm guessing:
- new (longer) cassette body
- re-dish wheel

Since the spacing is OK, I'm guessing the axle is OK???

Thanks and enjoy your ride, even though the temp dropped 30* since the weekend,
Murph

Depending on size of locknuts, you may not be able to put a 8/9/10s free hub on there and have enough axle on the LH side. 'May' be able to source other locknuts, cones, ensure the FH body is far enough from right hand dropout to not drag chain on dropout, etc.

You can use 9 of 10 cogs of a 10s cogset on a 7s FH body, btw.

eak12
04-16-2014, 05:28 PM
I've actually tried this. And was not successful. Basically, there isn't enough axle space to secure the locknuts with a 9/10 freefub body. Hypothetically, as oldpotatoe suggests, the right combination of replacement locknuts, cones, and washers MIGHT get this to work. But I doubt it, in practice. I gave up and used a different hub. Best of luck with your project.

Gummee
04-16-2014, 08:07 PM
Best choice: get a framebuilder to cold set your frame for 135mm spacing and run new stuff

2nd best choice: pull your dropouts apart every time you put your wheel in and run 135mm spaced hubs. Whether that's a new hub or a new FH body on your old hub is up to you

HTH

M

catchourbreath
04-16-2014, 09:30 PM
7spd stuff is a different standard, a freehub won't just swap over. Get something 8/9spd and you can use the 10spd cassette.

ergott
04-16-2014, 10:37 PM
I have a beautiful set of XTR M960 hubs looking for a home. NOS, but I'm not sure I have the skewers. Probably the nicest non disc hubs you will find. email me if interested.

Looks like this one. I have the set.

http://im9.cz/iR/importprodukt-orig/2f7/2f7680e13d2bbd6c58c128a4a2273ad1.jpg

oldpotatoe
04-17-2014, 06:39 AM
7spd stuff is a different standard, a freehub won't just swap over. Get something 8/9spd and you can use the 10spd cassette.

Actually on that hub, you can bolt a shimano 8/9/10s FH body onto the hub body but as has been mentioned, other problems exist in making it a workable hub..That is 7s hyperglide.

merlinmurph
04-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Best choice: get a framebuilder to cold set your frame for 135mm spacing and run new stuff

2nd best choice: pull your dropouts apart every time you put your wheel in and run 135mm spaced hubs. Whether that's a new hub or a new FH body on your old hub is up to you

The frame doesn't seem to be the problem. Just for fun, I took a newer wheel with XT 9-sp and it slipped right in. Which raises the question: When did 135mm spacing become the norm?

Anyways, thanks to all for your input. I thought that maybe the worst thing I would have to do would be to get a new axle and related hardware, plus the FH body. It's not a sealed bearing hub, so I thought it was an option. Guess not. Let me see what else I can do.

Thanks again,
Murph