PDA

View Full Version : Funny...How to change a flat tire by Lance Armstrong

maverick_1
04-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Anyone from the forum noticed this?

http://www.outsideonline.com/featured-videos/gear-videos/bikes/How-to-Fix-a-Flat--with-Lance-Armstrong.html

maverick_1
04-15-2014, 08:09 AM
Oops, correct title should be "How to fix a flat"..bummer..
anyway..

avalonracing
04-15-2014, 08:19 AM
I'm curious about the backstory or PR plan behind this. Whatever the case, it can't hurt.

christian
04-15-2014, 08:22 AM
Valve stem nut??

texbike
04-15-2014, 08:31 AM
Kinda funny. However, his ****-eating grin toward the end was disturbingly "W"ish...

Texbike

oldpotatoe
04-15-2014, 08:31 AM
Valve stem nut??

Throw them away but when was this done? And I wonder who signed his hat?

Old news, he still gets up everyday and rides his bike. Yes, he's a doper and liar but so are ohhh so many who got rich, stayed rich, are getting rich on their rep as a cyclist, even if they doped, and lied, also..Like 'Big George'...yep, he wasn't a bully but a liar and cheat...yes....

FlashUNC
04-15-2014, 08:37 AM
Very weird.

downtube
04-15-2014, 08:39 AM
I enjoyed the video. He comes across very likable. Way to go!
chuck

Kirk Pacenti
04-15-2014, 09:20 AM
I enjoyed the video. He comes across very likable. Way to go!
chuck

I thought so too. Would love to know the back story as well...

peanutgallery
04-15-2014, 09:54 AM
-7 didn't align the valve with with the tire label, hanging offense. In my eye, that is a bigger crime than doping.

Ken Robb
04-15-2014, 10:08 AM
"and there you go"............but if you have to stop in a hurry you are screwed because I didn't adjust the front brake after I put the wheel back in the fork. :banana:

maverick_1
04-15-2014, 10:08 AM
enjoyable, nonetheless :banana:

laupsi
04-15-2014, 10:13 AM
endearing yes but remember this is a genuine trait of most of your run of the mill sociopaths

Stan Lee
04-15-2014, 10:16 AM
I liked the part about not writing the script, the guys got a sense of humour and he looks pretty damn fit.

FlashUNC
04-15-2014, 10:19 AM
endearing yes but remember this is a genuine trait of most of your run of the mill sociopaths

Pretty much. The Pharmstrong image rehab tour in full swing. Why Outside is carrying water for this guy is beyond me, when they've detailed with outstanding reporting some of the outrageous things he's done to protect his lies.

BumbleBeeDave
04-15-2014, 10:22 AM
. . . I can guarantee it was carefully scripted and reviewed by his legal and PR lackeys. He's not gonna say "Hey, sure!" when Outside calls him up to ask him to do this.

He's gonna have to do a lot more than this to redeem himself in my book. Sorry.

BBD

vqdriver
04-15-2014, 10:36 AM
I liked it. Still weary if the man, but the video's fine.
I'm surprised by how much he's aged

Mr. Pink
04-15-2014, 10:39 AM
. . . I can guarantee it was carefully scripted and reviewed by his legal and PR lackeys. He's not gonna say "Hey, sure!" when Outside calls him up to ask him to do this.

He's gonna have to do a lot more than this to redeem himself in my book. Sorry.

BBD

You may be surprised at how many people he has as employees these days. He may not be able to afford legal and PR, beyond the basics (he better have a lawyer). The palace in Austin was sold. He may have money in the bank, but, there's a line of people who want it through lawsuits, and he has no cash flow to replace it.

Weird video, though.

David Tollefson
04-15-2014, 11:00 AM
I think it's kinda funny, personable, likeable, all that. Doesn't seem scripted, but then again, he's been in the camera lens a few times, so who knows.

BumbleBeeDave
04-15-2014, 11:08 AM
You may be surprised at how many people he has as employees these days. He may not be able to afford legal and PR, beyond the basics (he better have a lawyer). The palace in Austin was sold. He may have money in the bank, but, there's a line of people who want it through lawsuits, and he has no cash flow to replace it.

Weird video, though.

He will plead poverty because it will get sympathy. But you can bet he has squirreled enough away that he will never have to work again. Can I prove it? Of course not. But I am certain of it.

BBD

professerr
04-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Seemed creepy to me, but I can't put my finger on why.

cfox
04-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Lance's PR re-make has gone through several iterations, none very successful so far. First was Oprah; an unmitigated disaster. Next the "elder statesman" truth and reconciliation guy; no one (in the public) was listening (or cares). Next up was the 'sad guy' interview where he said he can't even look at his bike. Now, the desperate humor angle? The thing Lance is up against now is more daunting than all of the anger he's had directed his way, and that thing is irrelevance. No one cares any more. For a while after it all came out, he was at least a punchline. Now, he's just not there. As a retired pro cyclist, he was destined for some degree of irrelevance, but had he just stayed retired he could at least kept most of his money.

Mr. Pink
04-15-2014, 11:36 AM
He will plead poverty because it will get sympathy. But you can bet he has squirreled enough away that he will never have to work again. Can I prove it? Of course not. But I am certain of it.

BBD

When has he ever worked?

His only hope is to somehow become one of those freak celebrities who make money by just being a freak celebrity. But he can't dance and sing. Maybe a B movie bad guy? Nobody wants him as a sports talking head, I'm pretty sure, where athletes with personalities and public speaking skills go to in retirement.

Like OJ, he probably learned to hide a lot offshore. Now he just has to stay out of jail.

avalonracing
04-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Kinda funny. However, his ****-eating grin toward the end was disturbingly "W"ish...

Texbike

It is really funny you mentioned this. I sent this to a few people and a number of them said the same thing and the first to mention it was someone who was a "Dubya" supporter.

BumbleBeeDave
04-15-2014, 11:41 AM
. . . than total obscurity and irrelevance.

I'd love to forgive the guy at some time in the future. Everybody deserves that chance. But I'm still trying to imagine what possible evidence I might see 20 years or so from now that would convince me he has really changed.

BBD

MattTuck
04-15-2014, 11:47 AM
A clincher? :no:

sparky33
04-15-2014, 11:55 AM
I was half expecting him to wave in a mechanic jumping out of a team car with a fresh wheel...to fix the flat.

Anyway. Entertaining. I almost forgot he is a bit of a scoundrel. Yeah, Lance is a peculiar figure in history for sure.

El Chaba
04-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Meh...I'd be more impressed if he demonstrated how to change a $h!tty diaper....

Shortsocks
04-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Not bad. I am kinda surprised. Good for him. Let's get back to cycling and forgiving. Btw, his arms are really big for a grand tour winner (calm down) look at all of the recent GC winners, skinny ass arms. Dudes got bow flex arms.

Mr. Pink
04-15-2014, 12:06 PM
It's been a few years, and he's back to swimming.

redir
04-15-2014, 12:08 PM

Yup, once a smug arrogant arsehole always a smug arrogant arsehole.

Also when mounting clinchers I would suggest you air it up to about 30-40 PSI then massage the tire all the way around making sure the bead is in. It only takes one time for a tube to blow out under the bead while filling up for you to realize how important that is!!!

Shortsocks
04-15-2014, 12:11 PM
It's been a few years, and he's back to swimming.

Good point. Didn't think about that. :eek:

ultraman6970
04-15-2014, 03:25 PM
There is something you can't deny, he has a lot more charisma than GL.

summilux
04-15-2014, 03:34 PM
Ignore Lance. This is the flat tire changing video that trumps all others.

"How to change a flat without hands"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV4H04Rmkrw

DRZRM
04-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Holy $h!t!!! That is about the most amazing thing I've ever seen!!

Elefantino
04-15-2014, 04:55 PM
Park Tools called and they want their apron back.

tele
04-15-2014, 05:05 PM

thanks, that is humbling!

back to Lance, whatever his motivations to do this vid or anything else who knows; I'd still have a beer with the guy...the stories!:beer:

Shortsocks
04-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Holy $h!t!!! That is about the most amazing thing I've ever seen!!

I 2nd that! Thats truly amazing.

Peter P.
04-15-2014, 05:24 PM
I believe in forgiveness, but only if you ask for it. I also believe redemption follows forgiveness and Lance has got to find a way to earn his way back into the good graces of the fans, and the people he offended.

He hasn't asked for forgiveness yet, and how he can redeem himself to earn back the public trust, I have no idea.

I thought the video was superb. Perhaps it was conceived by his handlers to present him in a human light, perhaps not. Now, if he could actually behave as the video portrays him, it would be a step in the right direction.

tuscanyswe
04-15-2014, 05:45 PM
wow im impressed with the guy with ho hands. I can imagine only imagine the patience he must have had starting out. Well done!

Fixed
04-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Throw them away but when was this done? And I wonder who signed his hat?

Cool hat
Cheers

1centaur
04-15-2014, 08:18 PM
I literally saw two things I had never thought of in that video:

1) Blowing air into the tube with your mouth...why, if you have a pump?

2) Rolling the tire all the way over the rim and letting it snap back in. I always pushed it over the lip with my thumbs and finished it with a lever. I'll have to try that (if I ever get a flat again...).

thirdgenbird
04-15-2014, 09:12 PM
I literally saw two things I had never thought of in that video:

1) Blowing air into the tube with your mouth...why, if you have a pump?

2) Rolling the tire all the way over the rim and letting it snap back in. I always pushed it over the lip with my thumbs and finished it with a lever. I'll have to try that (if I ever get a flat again...).

That's how my dad taught me. One stroke of a floor pump is too much. A quick puff from the mouth gets just enough. I'm not sure I've ever used a lever to mount a tire either. My veloflex/campy combo is tough, but doable.

Steve in SLO
04-15-2014, 10:30 PM
When has he ever worked?
Okay, I got to say I don't understand this remark.
Love him or hate him, LA lived a lifestyle and worked his ass off to an extent the few of us can imagine.
Maybe he didn't sit in an office from 9 to 5, but what he did was hard-core, both on and off the bike.

oldpotatoe
04-16-2014, 06:56 AM
When has he ever worked?

Righto Mr Pink...not defending him but as a pro cyclist, I'd say training and then racing 'may' be a bit of 'work'...and I'd be surprised to know how many people 'work' for him..how many do? You seem to know..

Mr. Pink
04-16-2014, 07:45 AM
Oh c'mon. He was riding a bike all the time. He still is! He loves to do it. The rest of the time he was sitting in meetings all about Lance and figuring out how to intimidate people.

You're insulting working people.

bobswire
04-16-2014, 08:14 AM
Oh c'mon. He was riding a bike all the time. He still is! He loves to do it. The rest of the time he was sitting in meetings all about Lance and figuring out how to intimidate people.

You're insulting working people.

Not if you found work you loved doing. I was a carpenter/construction 30 years, physical hard work and I loved it. You are letting your bias dictate your reason.

Mr. Pink
04-16-2014, 08:18 AM
Well, before we start that, I have to say, all my life, I have read survey after survey that most people hate their jobs.

cfox
04-16-2014, 08:24 AM
I'm with Mr. Pink on this one. From a young age, like tons of talented young athletes, Lance was handled/enabled by adults that took care of every possible need for him. That has continued into adulthood. All he has ever needed to do was train. Training is hard, but it's not work. Sorry. He blew off school and only graduated because his mom transferred him to some school that let him skip his senior year. He's never had a moment in his life with true economic uncertainty (until now maybe). The struggling teen mom story is an overwrought joke. Lance was raised in relative prosperity by his stepfather and then by a string of coach/mentor/dad wannabe guys. Lance wouldn't last a day in a real work setting.

93legendti
04-16-2014, 08:38 AM
So much hate...

bobswire
04-16-2014, 08:38 AM
I'm with Mr. Pink on this one. From a young age, like tons of talented young athletes, Lance was handled/enabled by adults that took care of every possible need for him. That has continued into adulthood. All he has ever needed to do was train. Training is hard, but it's not work. Sorry. He blew off school and only graduated because his mom transferred him to some school that let him skip his senior year. He's never had a moment in his life with true economic uncertainty (until now maybe). The struggling teen mom story is an overwrought joke. Lance was raised in relative prosperity by his stepfather and then by a string of coach/mentor/dad wannabe guys. Lance wouldn't last a day in a real work setting.

Has nothing to do with Mr. Pinks statement. Quote" I have to say, all my life, I have read survey after survey that most people hate their jobs."

I feel sorry for anyone who truly hates their jobs. Anyway like lance or not, Peds or not, pro racing is not for the weak or pampered.

jr59
04-16-2014, 08:44 AM
Has nothing to do with Mr. Pinks statement. Quote" I have to say, all my life, I have read survey after survey that most people hate their jobs."

I feel sorry for anyone who truly hates their jobs. Anyway like lance or not, Peds or not, pro racing is not for the weak or pampered.

Pro sports is work! Don't fool yourself into thinking it isn't. Hard work and dedication at that level is VERY hard. Most people only see a very small slice of their lives and think "it's just a game or riding a bike"! It's hard hard work!

soulspinner
04-16-2014, 08:46 AM
That's how my dad taught me. One stroke of a floor pump is too much. A quick puff from the mouth gets just enough. I'm not sure I've ever used a lever to mount a tire either. My veloflex/campy combo is tough, but doable.

Yup

harlond
04-16-2014, 08:52 AM
Lance wouldn't last a day in a real work setting.The one thing we know about Lance is that if he wanted to last a day in a real work setting, he would get that done. How he would get that done might raise some questions, but that he would get that done is beyond doubt.

Hate him all you want for the PEDs, the lying, the bullying, but that doesn't change the fact that Lance is a person of truly unusual will, tenacity, and determination.

professerr
04-16-2014, 09:16 AM
Hate him all you want for the PEDs, the lying, the bullying, but that doesn't change the fact that Lance is a person of truly unusual will, tenacity, and determination.

I've got more than my share of wtd. I was put on some sort of oral steroid med to speed healing following minor surgery. My wtd went off the scale, and I got the same beady-eye look Lance has. Made we wonder how his years of substance abuse affected his brain chemistry.

cfox
04-16-2014, 09:18 AM
Pro sports is work! Don't fool yourself into thinking it isn't. Hard work and dedication at that level is VERY hard. Most people only see a very small slice of their lives and think "it's just a game or riding a bike"! It's hard hard work!

I never said it's easy, it's just very different from what "work" is in the traditional sense. Elite athletes like Lance* live in a bubble where every little detail is taken care of or thought out for them in order to let the athlete focus on a single responsibility: training. It's very different from a traditional work environment with multiple responsibilities.

*some low level domestique or domestic pro rider surviving on ramen noodles is exempt from my comment.

The one thing we know about Lance is that if he wanted to last a day in a real work setting, he would get that done. How he would get that done might raise some questions, but that he would get that done is beyond doubt.

I don't hate Lance at all, but I contend unless Lance was the top absolute boss, nothing in thousands of pages written about him indicate he would function at all as a subordinate in a normal workplace.

Shortsocks
04-16-2014, 09:47 AM
So much hate...

Hear. Hear....

cmbicycles
04-16-2014, 09:58 AM

This is awesome!! And we often complain about clinchers that are hard to change. :eek:

Jaq
04-16-2014, 10:51 AM
Sheesh.

Labels always on the drive side and

Labels always over the stem - except for sew-ups.

Never hurts to dust with a little talc if you're at home or in the shop.