PDA

View Full Version : OT- Another wristwatch question

hybridbellbaske
02-08-2006, 08:24 PM
I hesitate to go off topic, but after the resounding interest shown in the Classifieds section about Too Tall's search for a Seamaster, I think I'll give it a go....

I need a new watch. A very good secondhand watch store is near by. Choices-
(1) 1999 Omega Seamaster- equivalent to the current 2561.8 ie medium size- quartz. A$900.

(2) 2004 Omega Seamaster- 2541.8 ie large- quartz. A$1250.

(3) 2003 IWC Spitfire Automatic Chronograph. A$3500.

The IWC is absolutely beautiful- but maybe more watch than anyone really needs.
Comments? Ideas?

Grant McLean
02-08-2006, 08:39 PM
If you like to go fast on two wheels,
why not get something that looks fast
on your wrist?

http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/heuer/articles/carrera_article/heuer_carrera_article.html

-g

92degrees
02-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Based on what I'm perceiving to be your taste, I'd buy a Sinn 657, new, from watchbuys.com (the only US dealer) for $1K.

...and be wearing something that doesn't look like everything else :beer:

jerk
02-08-2006, 08:50 PM
the jerk has really stupid tastes in watches. he likes pink and blue and weird colored cheap-o tudors with the real deal rolex guts....they're nice for middle income folks trying to impress yo?

jerk

Argos
02-08-2006, 09:16 PM
There is a very nice Breitling with your name on it in the price range you describe. That said, the watches you are looking at are also quite nice. Enjoy.

CarbonCycles
02-08-2006, 09:24 PM
I would go with the IWC...great watch. I typically do not like quartz and prefer the automatics. Also DO NOT PAY LIST for a new watch...you can almost always get a discount.

As for your too much of a watch comment, guys really don't wear jewelry (unless you're a giggilo or related to the mob) other than a watch, cuff links and maybe a chain. Cuff links can't be worn everyday, but a watch can. So if you ask me, why not enjoy some of the finer things in life and having a nice watch (when you can't show off your bike) is a good start.

My favorite watch is the JLC Master Compressor Chrono

djg
02-08-2006, 10:19 PM
The cheapest watch on your list is more than anyone needs. Now that that's out of the way, what do you want?

I don't know the Australian watch market and I won't guess at the value of watches I haven't seen. I notice, however, that you are considering three very different watches--different styles, sizes, and at least two very different sorts of movements. There's nothing wrong with that. But why not look around a bit? There are many, many used Omega watches to be had in the world, both quartz (which you mention) and automatic (which you don't, for Omega, but might consider). Omega makes a very nice sports watch, in my opinion (I have a Seamaster from the late '90s myself), but unless there's some super bargain on the table, I'd reckon that another lies around the corner. Look at a few different shops and try a few things on. Figure out what size dial you want, what's comfortable, what features, if any, make a difference (any Seamaster, including the mechanical ones, should give you real, useable water resistance, which might or might not matter). If you see something you love, and price is right, go ahead and buy it. If you come back to the original shop, you'll know you did the right thing.

EPOJoe
02-08-2006, 10:48 PM
The IWC’s are beautiful watches, but I’m an Omega man myself. If you’re already considering a used Omega, you may want to keep in mind that in 1985 Omega ceased using their own “in house” movements, and began using modified sourced movements from companies such as ETA. While these sourced movements are still very well made, they’re not generally considered to be the equal of the earlier movements. I’m currently wearing the 1966 Omega Constellation Calendar automatic pictured below.

EPOJoe
02-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Of course, if you’re looking for something that’s more of a conversation starter, you could always bid on this...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060203/ap_en_mu/buddy_holly_auction_3

DRZRM
02-09-2006, 01:07 AM
I have a Sinn and an IWC (GTS Ti auto) and, while I have nothing bad to say about a Omega, put on that IWC and just feel it out. I love this brand, I don't think there is much comparison. You have to decide for yourself, but just like bikes, I think the right watch speaks to you. Some people even like Breitlings. :D Just kidding, some of my best friends wear Breitlings.

Good luck.

Z

The Spider
02-09-2006, 01:18 AM
How about Oris? some nice watches in the bottom price range.

Hybrid, you a small/medium/large build yourself?

Nothing worse than a IWC Portugese on a 5 foot 6 man with little wrists.

Will you wear it everywhere or work specific, what do you wear to work?

I once held a titanium Breitling that was perfect for bike fanatics.

cs124
02-09-2006, 01:23 AM
spend 90 bucks on a Swatch and the rest on bike stuff!

Kane
02-09-2006, 01:55 AM
Why not use your cell phone like everyone else! If you want to spend a grand on a piece of jewelry, by a ring, get a tatoo, a neckless, but if you really want a watch, get a Hamilton Aviator. Truly the most beautiful watch with Movado a close second.

Cheers,

Kane

Kevin
02-09-2006, 04:14 AM
Take a look at Baume Mercier.

Kevin

CarbonCycles
02-09-2006, 07:51 AM
Just for grins...

http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/collecting/2005/11/28/most-expensive-watches-cx_ns_1129feat_ls.html

Forbes compilation of the most expensive watches

JasonF
02-09-2006, 08:00 AM
I had the IWC Spitfire's cousin, a Ref. 3706 Fliegerchronograph. An absolutely bullet proof watch built like a tank that kept impeccable time (even by quartz standards). If it's on a bracelet, it can get a little heavy, but a great watch.

I bought it from www.collectorstime.com. Although based in SE Asia, I would not hesitate to do business with Zeetan (the proprietor) again. They have a Spitfire Chrono (on strap) in stock for $2,950.

Good luck!

Tony Edwards
02-09-2006, 08:11 AM
I don't personally love modern Omegas - for that kind of cash you could get either a very good '60s Seamaster SM300, or a Watchco 300M built from all NOS Omega parts, which is effectively a brand-new watch.

Too Tall
02-09-2006, 08:14 AM
That is too much loot for a Quartz used Omega. If you can get the Sinn that would be my choice...if I was in the market for "the next" watch. My Seamaster is tough as nails and gorgeous, I'm happy :)

Tony Edwards
02-09-2006, 08:30 AM
That is too much loot for a Quartz used Omega. If you can get the Sinn that would be my choice...if I was in the market for "the next" watch. My Seamaster is tough as nails and gorgeous, I'm happy :)

I have a Sinn 656 - those are available on the used market from $500 - 600 US.

92degrees
02-09-2006, 08:33 AM
I have a U1 on order. Lotta watch and kinda unique:

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1103/1131040624jpg2vk.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Jeff N.
02-09-2006, 08:38 AM
I hesitate to go off topic, but after the resounding interest shown in the Classifieds section about Too Tall's search for a Seamaster, I think I'll give it a go....

I need a new watch. A very good secondhand watch store is near by. Choices-
(1) 1999 Omega Seamaster- equivalent to the current 2561.8 ie medium size- quartz. A$900.

(2) 2004 Omega Seamaster- 2541.8 ie large- quartz. A$1250.

(3) 2003 IWC Spitfire Automatic Chronograph. A$3500.

The IWC is absolutely beautiful- but maybe more watch than anyone really needs.
Comments? Ideas?You need to get the Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph. Nicest looking watch out there, IMO. Jeff N.

pjm
02-09-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm amazed at what the Rolex Submariner costs nowadays. I bought my stainless steel Sub new in 1989 for around $1700. A new one goes for $4500 these days. Used on ebay they usually go for $3K and up. I probably wouldn't buy one at the current price.

SoCalSteve
02-09-2006, 12:16 PM
the jerk has really stupid tastes in watches. he likes pink and blue and weird colored cheap-o tudors with the real deal rolex guts....they're nice for middle income folks trying to impress yo?

jerk

I bought my wife the same watch (as a wedding gift) with a salmon and beige California face. She loves it!

Jerk, I dont care what anyone says about you, you have great taste!!!

Steve

SoCalSteve
02-09-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm amazed at what the Rolex Submariner costs nowadays. I bought my stainless steel Sub new in 1989 for around $1700. A new one goes for $4500 these days. Used on ebay they usually go for $3K and up. I probably wouldn't buy one at the current price.

My Submariner was bought in 2000 for $3,000.00 on ebay. "A" serial number (current model at the time). In 6 years they have gone up more than Los Angeles real estate! And, the best part is that I love wearing mine. I think it has a classic, timeless look. Like a beautiful lugged steel frame with a very simple paint scheme.

Steve

Ken Robb
02-09-2006, 12:23 PM
I think old watches are cool but the high cost of servicing them keeps my enthusiasm in check. Anyone have a hot tip on good/cheap watch technicians? I'm guessing that's like finding light, strong, cheap bike parts. :rolleyes:

christian
02-09-2006, 12:28 PM
My comments:

Too much scratch for a quartz Omega. I'm not crazy about the Spitfire dials on the new IWCs. And I think $3500 is way too much. You should be able to find a near-perfect 3706 for around $2000-2500.

I say mosey on over to timezone . com and look in the forums there. I would keep an eye out for an IWC 3706 or 3251, especially.

IWC 3251 on a strap,
- Christian

DRZRM
02-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Hey guys, those who keep saying that these prices are too high...A$3500 is Australian dollars, which works out to about $2,500 I think. You still may want to do business with one of the Asian watch dealers. PM me if you want recs for good Sinn or IWC dealers.

Zach

PS That Sinn U1 KICKS A$$.

saab2000
02-09-2006, 02:51 PM
My Breitling is one of the best things I have ever bought. It is extremely rugged, reliable as the sunrise and supremely accurate - to within seconds per year.

If it doesn't say "SWISS MADE" on the lower part of the face, it ain't.

PS - I can't afford my Breitling, but I have one anyway from happier times when there was a higher cash flow, before I became a pilot ironically.....

dbrk
02-09-2006, 03:15 PM
The analogy of bicycles to mechanical watches could not be more apt: there have never been better examples of both, craftsmanship is truly at a level that the past only romances, and there are actually more choices than ever. That said, 'manufacture' level watches can command enormous prices, especially in the beautiful complications (tourbillon, minute repeaters, etc). In contrast, even the most elaborate lugged steel bikes might be in reach if you wait, save, etc. (In watches, for example, I would love to have a tourbillon Breguet or chrono A. Lange, to say nothing of the truly one-off DuFour, but these get very expensive...all start at about 70K! So I'm happy to look at them and I don't envy those who can afford them because I know I am content with my own choices.) But the reason to love, want, own, enjoy both handmade bicycles and mechanical watches is passion. You buy with your heart and your head just wraps itself around the rest. Virtually any quartz watch for less than $100 will be FAR MORE accurate than any mechanical watch, even the best, so what is at stake is what you want, what you love, and what you can afford. If you want a bargain, buy a perfectly rideable production bike or a quartz watch. If you want passion, craft, and an experience of soul, then be prepared to lay down yer Jacksons. Some mechanical masterpieces don't appeal to me, though I get their genius, and I know the same applies to bikes. There are some I love and some I am happy that others love.

dbrk

CarbonCycles
02-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Couldn't have said it any better...

The analogy of bicycles to mechanical watches could not be more apt: there have never been better examples of both, craftsmanship is truly at a level that the past only romances, and there are actually more choices than ever. That said, 'manufacture' level watches can command enormous prices, especially in the beautiful complications (tourbillon, minute repeaters, etc). In contrast, even the most elaborate lugged steel bikes might be in reach if you wait, save, etc. (In watches, for example, I would love to have a tourbillon Breguet or chrono A. Lange, to say nothing of the truly one-off DuFour, but these get very expensive...all start at about 70K! So I'm happy to look at them and I don't envy those who can afford them because I know I am content with my own choices.) But the reason to love, want, own, enjoy both handmade bicycles and mechanical watches is passion. You buy with your heart and your head just wraps itself around the rest. Virtually any quartz watch for less than $100 will be FAR MORE accurate than any mechanical watch, even the best, so what is at stake is what you want, what you love, and what you can afford. If you want a bargain, buy a perfectly rideable production bike or a quartz watch. If you want passion, craft, and an experience of soul, then be prepared to lay down yer Jacksons. Some mechanical masterpieces don't appeal to me, though I get their genius, and I know the same applies to bikes. There are some I love and some I am happy that others love.

dbrk

alembical
02-09-2006, 06:24 PM
If you are considering a used Omega, you might want to check out Overstock.com. They have some real good deals from time to time on new Seamasters. I picked up one over the holidays for $950 (quartz) .... from a liscensed retailer.

Alembical

EPOJoe
02-09-2006, 06:39 PM
I think old watches are cool but the high cost of servicing them keeps my enthusiasm in check. Anyone have a hot tip on good/cheap watch technicians? I'm guessing that's like finding light, strong, cheap bike parts. :rolleyes:

You might want to ask over on the Timezone forums to see if anyone can recommend someone good in your area who may be reasonably priced. I recently had a service done near me on an Omega for the bargain price of $80.00, but often you get what you pay for, and I personally had to spend a few hours adjusting the regulator myself, cleaning up after the watchmaker’s sloppy job of timing. It would have cost $280.00 to send it in to Omega, but they would have done an immensely better job, including case buffing, new crystal, replacement of any worn parts, and you can bet that after they were through with it, I wouldn’t have had to adjust the watch myself.

YO!!!
02-09-2006, 08:14 PM
You gotta be able to carry it in your pocket and dangle it from a long chain
attached to your belt loop or vest button to be a real watch. :cool:

scrooge
02-09-2006, 08:20 PM
My Submariner was bought in 2000 for $3,000.00 on ebay. "A" serial number (current model at the time). In 6 years they have gone up more than Los Angeles real estate! And, the best part is that I love wearing mine. I think it has a classic, timeless look. Like a beautiful lugged steel frame with a very simple paint scheme.

Steve

3k for a watch that is timeless? I don't get it...

jerk
02-09-2006, 08:36 PM
I have a U1 on order. Lotta watch and kinda unique:

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1103/1131040624jpg2vk.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

that's a nice watch.if it were a bike it'd be a spin. http://www.spin-system.de/

jerk

CJH
02-09-2006, 09:02 PM
Looking for a nice watch...

http://alanwatch.homestead.com/explorer.html

CJH
02-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Or if you've got the $$$

jerk
02-09-2006, 09:16 PM
support your local ba'ath party and go for this gem.

jerk

CJH
02-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Not sure about the design, however quite the reputable watchmaker...

jerk
02-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Not sure about the design, however quite the reputable watchmaker...

yeah, you should have seen the bikes e-richie made for the north korean olympic team.

e-RICHIE
02-09-2006, 09:42 PM
yeah, you should have seen the bikes e-richie made for the north korean olympic team.

and the tandem i made for roy e munson yo

jerk
02-09-2006, 09:45 PM
and the tandem i made for roy e munson yo

it was like he was his stoker's captain and his captain's stoker...and he's never even seen brokeback mountain imho.

must have been done with mirrors yo.

e-RICHIE
02-09-2006, 09:53 PM
it was like he was his stoker's captain and his captain's stoker...and he's never even seen brokeback mountain imho.

must have been done with mirrors yo.

not mirrors at all, at-all yo.
here is the true roy e munson story,
told only with love, and because he's
on forum leave getting ready for the
wells ave world championships...
here:
http://www.ziplo.com/grandpa.htm

CJH
02-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Don't know about no mountain (broke or not), but those were some of the best tandems we've ever seen...

jerk
02-09-2006, 10:08 PM
bro-
you don't know style 'till you matched a nehru jacket with cataract shades. ask the olsen twins for details; actually why don't you wait; they're still asleep over on there on the couch.

jerk

e-RICHIE
02-09-2006, 10:20 PM
bro-
you don't know style 'till you matched a nehru jacket with cataract shades. ask the olsen twins for details; actually why don't you wait; they're still asleep over on there on the couch.

jerk

roy and his brother roy atmo?

terry b
02-09-2006, 10:44 PM
The first one is a nice little automatic that Omega made a couple of years ago. Not too expensive in the first place (<1000), they can be found in good condition for a reasonable price with a little internet hunting. Nice piece if you like classic chronographs.

Second one, is of course the breed standard Omega.

The third one, well, it's a piece to dream about.

jeh
02-10-2006, 01:51 AM
I've always been into A Lange & Sohne, but I'll never be able to afford one :)

-j

grateful
02-10-2006, 06:44 AM
Come to Bozeman and check out

http://www.montanawatch.com/about.htm

You could pick up a custom made Strong, a custom made Kirk and a custom made Montana Watch, all in a weekend.

Seriuosly, this guy does amazing work. He has a diver's watch in his display that is amazing.

Too Tall
02-14-2006, 07:39 AM
Hybrid - I get these "deals" sent thru e-mail from Sinn...this one is goooood:
http://www.watchbuys.com/master/si-120p.htm Awesome watch.

Skrawny
02-14-2006, 01:12 PM
1000 meters!

It would be nice to know that if I floated to the bottom of a deep sea trench, they could recover my watch from the belly of some crab and give it to my heirs...
-s

Skrawny
02-15-2006, 09:53 AM
How about this one:
Automatic and, yes, Chairman Mao's hand waves!
Based on the quality of workmanship I would not take it to 1000 m underwater, in fact, I'd be a little worried in heavy fog... :no:

Also, keep it away from dissidents... :argue:
-s