PDA

View Full Version : OT: New 2015 Jetta Wagon

r_mutt
04-14-2014, 06:49 AM
Since it appears that the VW Jetta wagon is the car of choice here, I thought I'd ask your collective opinion if you think that it would be worth waiting for the new 2015 wagon, or to go ahead and just plunge in and buy (for a friendlier price i suppose) a 2014 TDI.

Do you think that there will be teething issues with the 2015 car or is this already proven technology since it is based on the present Golf platform?

I'm coming from a 2004 Subaru WRX- which was dead reliable. I am hoping for a similar experience :)

Are there any known quirks for the 2014 wagon? I've never owned a diesel engine before so I am somewhat reluctant. Everyone seems to think it's the engine of choice for this car. What's the matter with the gasoline version? Limp wristed?

BTW - I am going for the 6-speed manual.

CDollarsign
04-14-2014, 07:01 AM
The new jetta wagon is actually going to be a golf. I think it will be on a new chassis with a slight HP bump with the TDI. VW is implementing some more upscale items such a xenons and possibly AWD. I am going to wait for the 2015...

palincss
04-14-2014, 07:14 AM
There should be more space inside for bicycles, too. Going by what I've read about the Golf Variant currently on sale in Europe, the new car is going to be a real winner, better in many ways than the current car -- except that the diesel is going to have urea injection, while the current car does not. It's definitely on my short list.

echelon_john
04-14-2014, 07:32 AM
Assuming the rumors/previews of the U.S. Golf Variant are true, it may be my holy grail:
-AWD
-Diesel
-Wagon
-STD transmission avail

druptight
04-14-2014, 07:33 AM
From what I understand the 2015 Jetta Sportwagen (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here), will be no different from the 2014 (in the USA). Europe will see the new version in 2015, but it won't hit US shores until the 2016 model year. From what I understand from my recent visit to the dealership, Europe is a model year ahead of us.

USA will see the new Golf in 2015 (as mentioned above), but not the Sportwagen until 2016.

EDIT: Looks like I'm wrong. Allegedly hitting US shores in early 2015: http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2014/04/2015-volkswagen-golf-sportwagen-first-look.html

Ralph
04-14-2014, 07:34 AM
I'm a big fan of modern passenger car diesels, but.....you do have to study whether fuel savings offset it's extra cost, and potential extra maintenance cost. Potential useful life is about the same for both engines. Modern passenger car diesels with aluminum heads, pistons, and (some) aluminum blocks are not designed to be million mile engines like a Cat or Cummins truck engine.

That said.....if I lived in mountains, the superior low RPM TQ of the turbo diesel might make it the favorite.

Climb01742
04-14-2014, 07:37 AM
The '15 does sound like it could be the holy grail car. Perhaps the only caveat is, any car in its first year/version usually has unworked-out bugs, vs the last year of a model rule, which is usually the most bug free. So if reliable is important, that_may_be a factor. However, '15 sounds so good...

RedRider
04-14-2014, 07:56 AM
I have a 2011 gas Sportwagon 2.5 with 56K on the odometer. It's been a great car with no issues and fun driving. There is nothing limp wristed about it but some drivers prefer a diesel engine and VW make a great one.

bcroslin
04-14-2014, 07:59 AM
I would pull the trigger now. The prices on the 14's has come down a little and there's plenty of them on the lots. The '15 (or '16) is going to be a highly sought after car like the '10's and '11's and the price will be higher and they'll be harder to get your hands on. It's a great car and you won't be sorry.

xjahx
04-14-2014, 08:34 AM
"Front-wheel drive is the only option at the car's launch. However, Volkswagen is bringing an all-wheel-drive concept version of the TDI-powered wagon to the New York Auto Show. If it's something you want, be sure to let VW know."

Hopefully, this will change as I agree that TDI, 6 speed manual, AWD would be a game changer.

malcolm
04-14-2014, 08:38 AM
Will the '15 still be urea free?? I had my '11 at the dealer the other day and he said a diesel Passat wagon is coming of course couldn't say when.

shovelhd
04-14-2014, 11:08 AM
The 2015 will have urea. AWD is up in the air. It's been shown in concept only.

I was in your situation and was going to wait for the 2015 but decided to buy a 2014 instead. At $2200 under invoice, I would rather buy a mature platform than deal with teething issues like I did with my last vehicle. There may be a few of them available, but popular configurations can be very hard to get. I got lucky and found one an hour away that was on the assembly line. I waited three weeks. If you want a base model with DSG in white or black that should not be hard to find.

The 2010+ models are all built on the Golf Mark VI platform with some Mark V parts. The 2015 is all new and will be built on the Gollf Mark VII platform.

The two biggest issues with the 2010+ are the high pressure fuel pump failures and inter cooler icing. The HPFP failures despite what you read on the internet are rare but there have been enough of them to prompt VW to replace them out of warranty. The 2015 has a similar pump. The IC icing condition occurs in cold weather climates when drivers are not regularly working the turbo for fuel mileage. It can cause stalling and poor performance until the fluid melts and clears. The 2015 uses a water cooled inter cooler which eliminates this problem, which is caused by the emission controls. Many people have solved the issue with the 2010+ by blocking off the grille in the winter, much like you see on tractor trailer trucks. VW also has a fix for it that they will apply under warranty if you take it in for service.

I've only had my blue/beige/roof/nav/TDI/6MT for a few days now but it is an incredible vehicle. The rear seats will fold flat if you remove the headrests but there is no need to. My bike fits in with room to spare without taking off the front wheel. Plenty of room for spare wheels, kit bag, cooler. I could easily fit three bikes in there. One nice touch are the six tie down points which make securing heavy objects easy. My trainer weighs 25 pounds and could kill someone in an accident. It's safe when it's tied down. It's too early to tell about fuel mileage but I'm getting about 45-48 indicated on commutes and trips. I've gone 345 miles and have 5/8 of a tank left.

Cat3roadracer
04-14-2014, 11:18 AM
I purchased a new 2013 about a month ago, got a very good deal. They are still out there if you are willing to expand your search a bit.

cnighbor1
04-14-2014, 11:22 AM
TDI engine is new for 2014. I would wait a bit to see if any problems
just do a search for VW TDI reviews and see what you find
My wife's 2003 TDI SW Manual has 375,000.00 miles No major engine work except timing belt and a minor oil leak
so if new TDI has good has old a fine buy

oldpotatoe
04-14-2014, 11:24 AM
I purchased a new 2013 about a month ago, got a very good deal. They are still out there if you are willing to expand your search a bit.

I bought a 2013 about a year ago. In all of Colorado there were about 6 manual TDIs. Lotsa autos with Nav and lotsa gas models but the TDI manual was tough. Got about $4000 off w/o doing anything but asking, paying cash might have had something to do with that. Really love it. Consistent 38-40 mph mixed driving.

David Kirk
04-14-2014, 11:32 AM
I was a bit hesitant to buy the TDi never having owned an oil burner before. I worried about the fuel gelling in the winter cold and about what it would be like to drive and use on a daily level.

But I'm glad I got past those concerns - we've had our 2013 Jetta TDi wagon for a year and a half now and it is the nicest car I've ever owned. It rides great, handles well, is super quiet and refined and of course gets really good mileage. We've averaged about 43 mpg for the life the the vehicle so far.

We debated the cost of buying the diesel and the gas versions and weighed that against the cost of fuel and the mileage and the way I ran the numbers it was about a wash over the first 100,000 miles. So we bought what we enjoyed driving more and what felt better and that was the TDi hands down.

My other daily driver is a Mini Cooper S and now I wish I could get the Mini D they sell in Europe. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

dave

binouye
04-14-2014, 12:49 PM
I wish the 2015 model TDI were here now! Our car (a 1 car, 7 bike household) is a 2002 Jetta wagon, and since reading about the new European version last year we're just waiting for it to come to the US. I still can't tell if all the Europe sportwagon features (like autostop/start at lights) will be on the US models, but either way I'm looking forward to it.

scottyjames
04-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Bought a barely used (7500 miles) 2012 TDI wagon w MT last spring. Absolutely love it. Great build, great performance. Planning to get a set of dedicated snows/steelies for next winter, though -- the stock Continental all-seasons were horrible in snow. And sleet, and wintry mix, etc, etc.

buldogge
04-14-2014, 01:29 PM
We really like my wife's '11 TDi Sportwagen...but...it's starting to show the usual VW/Audi sunroof gremlins (we've owned an A4 and Passat variant, previously).

Also, the well-documented weak-assTM a/c is more than annoying in St. Louis' heat/humidity. Dealer was zero help with that...which in general is my experience with VW service (compared to BMW).

-Mark in St. Louis

palincss
04-14-2014, 04:25 PM
From what I understand the 2015 Jetta Sportwagen (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here), will be no different from the 2014 (in the USA). Europe will see the new version in 2015, but it won't hit US shores until the 2016 model year. From what I understand from my recent visit to the dealership, Europe is a model year ahead of us.

Now that can't be right: the configurator on the VW German site is for the Golf Variant VII, and the road tests in UK sites are for the new car as well.

cnighbor1
04-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Volkswagen’s latest Jetta has been on sale since the 2011 model year, during which time it’s seen its engine lineup expanded and a new hybrid variant added. For 2015, the Jetta is receiving its first major update, and we’ll get our first look at the car up close at the 2014 New York Auto Show on Wednesday, April 16. The changes are being introduced to bring the Jetta’s spec closer in line with that of the 2015 Golf, which is about to launch on the market and will be the basis for a new SportWagen. The latter is also being previewed in New York, as a concept.

The changes to the 2015 Jetta are hard to spot; on the outside, you get a revised grille, new LED daytime running lights, and new bumpers. Inside the car, the changes are just as subtle. There are some chrome touches, new ambient lighting options and new seat trim. There are also some new electronic safety features such as blind spot and rear cross traffic warning systems, a frontal collision warning system, and park distance control.

Joining the 2015 Jetta on VW’s stands will be the Golf SportWagen concept, the production version of which is already available overseas and will be replacing the Jetta SportWagen in local showrooms in the near future. It shares the 2015 Golf’s MQB platform and is 1.1 inches longer than the previous Jetta SportWagen, nearly an inch wider and nearly an inch lower.

VW has confirmed that the production Golf SportWagen will be offered with two powertrains: a 1.8-liter turbo four and a 2.0-liter turbodiesel. Both units are already offered in the Jetta above. Also like the Jetta, transmissions for the Golf SportWagen will include manual, automatic and dual-clutch units. Interestingly, the concept is being shown with VW's 4Motion all-wheel-drive system, though we're not sure if this will be offered on the production model.

VW hasn't announced whether its stylish new wagon will arrive for the 2015 or 2016 model year, and official features and the bulk of U.S. specs aren't expected for a few months. We’ll bring you an update as soon as they’re out. In the meantime, head to our dedicated New York Auto Show hub for more news.

Engines carry over, with the base model continuing with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder. Next in line is a 1.8-liter turbo four, which is followed by a 2.0-liter turbo four. For the fuel conscious, the 2015 Jetta also continues to offer hybrid and diesel options. The latter, a 2.0-liter turbodiesel, has seen its output increased by 10 horsepower to 150 horsepower, and is said to be good for 45 mpg on the highway, up from 42 mpg for the outgoing model (it now features active grille shutters). Transmissions include manual, automatic and DSG dual-clutch units.

poff
04-14-2014, 06:01 PM
So no love for 328d xDRIVE sports wagon from BMW? Available now.

jds108
04-14-2014, 06:09 PM

At close to $50k it's a bit on the pricey side in my opinion... Certainly do like the handling of every BMW I have ever been in, but I no longer have an interest in buying 'luxury' cars.

robin3mj
04-14-2014, 06:16 PM
At close to $50k it's a bit on the pricey side in my opinion... Certainly do like the handling of every BMW I have ever been in, but I no longer have an interest in buying 'luxury' cars.

The Jetta has significantly more cargo room than the Bimmer as well.

poff
04-14-2014, 06:17 PM
But does Jetta come with 4W drive?

buldogge
04-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Test drove a fully loaded (M-Style, Dakota leather, etc.) one 2 weeks ago…beautiful car…great drive. Almost $30k more than the Sportwagen though!

Believe me…I'm a BMW fanboy…if I had $50k to blow, I would rid myself of the Jetta in a heartbeat!!

-Mark in St. Louis
still rockin' the '06 530xiT

buldogge
04-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Not now…supposedly in 2015 (MY2016).

-Mark

r_mutt
04-14-2014, 07:22 PM
Thanks for all the responses gents.

Looks like the manual is only available in the base model in a "regular" gas powered vehicle. Are there any differences between the base gas and base TDI? I see that the base gas has cloth interior- is the TDI base noticeably upmarket in quality and feel? the base TDI also has a rearward facing camera (the mrs. loves that)- is that standard in the gas manual shift base?

since i'm not an everyday driver, the gas savings from a diesel might not be as noticeable. i usually use my car once or twice a week and for longer trips. the premium for the TDI might not be wrth the extra expense, but if it is a more dynamic car with bigger balls, well then... and if is also more luxurious, that seals the deal.

i don't know if i can wait that long for the '15. the dealer says that initially, gas powered ones will be the first ones available this summer- with the TDI coming on in the fall. if the new car is that much better, i'd hate to have buyer's remorse.

Someone mentioned that AC is well known to have issues- can anyone confirm or deny this? That is a deal-breaker for me as I sold my WRX partially for that very reason- the dealer could not get the A/C to work very well after 3 tries and having a newborn in a hot car is no fun!

carpediemracing
04-14-2014, 08:14 PM
We bought the '10 JSW with the idea of starting a family soon. We got the '11 Golf when we confirmed that we were going to have a family the following spring. We drive regularly in the summer - bike races etc - and we've been fine with the AC. Our son arrived March 2012 so since then we've been pretty aggressive with heating/cooling the car, depending on his needs.

The center vents of both work great also since we can focus any early heat on him (and the vent shut offs allow us to keep the still-cold air off of him). On the cold days we put a blanket over the armrest and him so there was basically a tunnel of warm air for him. In the summer we direct the AC up and over him so that it blankets him with cold air.

For young babies the panoramic sunroof is great. They can only see up, they're not high enough to see out the car, so anything passing by overhead is interesting. You can see their eyeballs stutter turning as they try to focus on stuff flying by.

bcroslin
04-14-2014, 08:26 PM
The 2.5 is a nice car but trust me on this, you want the TDI.

The NYT had a piece last week on the 2.5 Jetta that nails it: the Stripper with a Heart of Gold (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/06/automobiles/autoreviews/stripper-with-a-heart-of-gold.html).

oldpotatoe
04-14-2014, 08:35 PM

Not worth $25,000 IMHO

shovelhd
04-14-2014, 09:50 PM
The TDI is the top of the line Sportwagen. There is no leather option, only vinyl, but pretty nice vinyl. The manual is a six speed instead of five in the gasser. The gas motor is not the sweet 2.0T, but the older, venerable 2.5L 5 cylinder. Not a bad motor, but no comparison to the TDI. There are a lot of little things that are upmarket in the TDI that you cannot get in the S or SE. The VW site has all you need to know. If you do the math, depending on fuel costs in your area, the breakeven point is somewhere between 75K and 100K miles. But looking at it in only that way is missing the point. Get the TDI because of the TDI feature set and the torque heavy motor. It is a blast to drive around town but where it really shines is on the highway for long trips. You'll get the best mileage driving with your right foot instead of the cruise control, and it's a lot more fun.

I am used to a mid sized truck so the A/C was a bit of a shock to me when I first used it, yesterday as a matter of fact. I had left the shade open and the car was hot. On recirc/high it was adequate, until I figured out that I had the vents set for heat delivery to the floor and windshield. Once I switched it to in your face mode it was fine It's nowhere near as strong as the truck A/C but it should be fine. If CDR says it's OK for a baby, then it will be fine.

shovelhd
04-14-2014, 09:53 PM
Not worth $25,000 IMHO

No way, but it won't be that much of an add-on.

The 2015 Sportwagen is not a Jetta. It is a Golf. So is the 2014, but they call it a Jetta.

cnighbor1
04-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Bought a barely used (7500 miles) 2012 TDI wagon w MT last spring. Absolutely love it. Great build, great performance. Planning to get a set of dedicated snows/steelies for next winter, though -- the stock Continental all-seasons were horrible in snow. And sleet, and wintry mix, etc, etc.
I talked a friend into for his 70's Volvo having a dedicated snows/steelies for winter use all he had to do was buy to used Volvo steel rims and mount his snow tires which he had. Charles what a great idea he said to me. In late fall I will mount those and store the rear wheels. So off to junk yard he went to get the Volvo used rims. Had snow tires mounted and put on car. that was a Sat. Monday came and time to go to work. did I mention tires were tubeless. well the car had a flat in one of the rear tires. He took it a tire store that mounted them in the first place. they couldn't find the leak so had a tube installed. Off to work but late. Tuesday same story. and to work late again.It seems the 70's Volvo rims weren't that great and tended to leak air. he just laughed about it.

r_mutt
04-14-2014, 09:57 PM

The 2015 Sportwagen is not a Jetta. It is a Golf. So is the 2014, but they call it a Jetta.

Thanks for the breakdown. I was looking at the site, but it wasn't clear. maybe it's me :confused:

I think the 25K was referring to the BMW up charge :eek:

carpediemracing
04-14-2014, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the breakdown. I was looking at the site, but it wasn't clear. maybe it's me :confused:

I think the 25K was referring to the BMW up charge :eek:

When VW started making the new Jetta they didn't change the name of the Jetta Sportswagen (JSW), which is based on the prior version of the Jetta, which was a sedan version of the Golf at the time. For a while the JSW = Jetta = Golf, at least in terms of chassis/drivetrain stuff, basically back seats forward. Therefore it's confusing because now the names don't match the chassis, at least with the 2014 JSW (based on the Golf) vs Jetta sedan (not based on the same Golf).

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/294571_10150345775473824_5250639_n.jpg

One is our '11 Golf, the other is our '10 JSW (same version as the 2014). The Golf is on the far side.

We bought two "same driver experience" cars so that we could interchange cars without thinking too much. It was my idea - I was imagining bleary-eyed, super-tired parents and mistakes they might make, and I wanted to get a second JSW. The Missus thought that a more "mod-able" car would be fun for me, hence the Golf.

So far my decision to get the Golf, versus some non-related car, has resulted me in making the bleary-eyed, super-tired parent type mistakes I expected to make - turning on the wipers instead of the turn signal, trying to adjust volume on nonexistent steering wheel controls, etc - in our Expedition. In the Golf and JSW no problems.

We bought a set of rims with snows for each. It's like buying a bike - you have to get pedals for the bike also. Snows are just part of buying a car for me because they make such a huge difference (http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.com/2014/02/life-why-snow-tires-and-how.html) when it's snowing or icy or both.

r_mutt
04-15-2014, 05:58 AM
did you get 15" steel wheels for snows or 16"?

i am going to do this as well.

Climb01742
04-15-2014, 06:29 AM
another vote for getting snows. the last 3 or 4 years here, we had pretty mild winters with not much snow and i got lulled into going through winter with all-seasons. then this past winter happened, with brutal amounts of snow. never again. next winter, dedicated snows on my GTI. VW is really making nice cars these days. my '09 GTI has been both extreme fun and extremely reliable (knock on wood).

shovelhd
04-15-2014, 06:37 AM

I believe that 15's will not clear the front brake calipers on my 2014 JSW. I am looking for a set of used 16's. This is a good time of year for that.

oldpotatoe
04-15-2014, 06:48 AM

I mean it's not worth buying the BMW, for $50,000 rather than the VW, Golf 4Motion variant..BMWs are nice but they have a $20,000 hood ornament.

paredown
04-15-2014, 07:51 AM
I'm a big fan of the TDis--and we have come close to buying a couple of times. We were a 2 diesel family while in Germany, and nothing beats that torque IMO.

If you are willing to travel for a better price, there is a 'super salesman' who has been offering discounts on TDis to members of the TDi Club Forum (http://www.tdiclub.com/) (get the full skinny here for anything TDi) for years. He used to work for VW of Langhorne and is now at Burlington VW (close to Philly)--this thread (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=405400&highlight=Chris) tells that story, but you can also see the love the community has for him.

He's a real supporter of the TDi club web site, and a heck of a nice guy, and although we did not buy from him, numerous members of the TDi club have and at least one friend (I think he may have purchased 3 cars from him) and all have nothing but good things to say about him.

Anyways, here is his latest posting of the cars he has on offer (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=411727), and it looks as though he has a couple of used ones as well...

alessandro
04-15-2014, 08:14 AM

More is explained in the paper of record:

VW Presents a Station Wagon Concept Under the Golf Name (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/15/automobiles/vw-presents-a-station-wagon-concept-under-the-golf-name.html)

David Kirk
04-15-2014, 08:26 AM
Shortly after buying our Sportwagon I bought some 17" wheels and Conti performance all season tires. This freed up the stock 16" wheels to be used with snow tires. I took off the stock Bridgestone poor-excuse-for-tires and sold them on Craig's list for $175 and then put Firestone Winterforce snows on the 16" stock wheels.

Now I can swap out the wheels/tires when the season changes. The performance all seasons (summer biased IMO) make the handling crisp and responsive and yet have enough snow grip to get you through the transitional seasons and the 16" snows really handle deep snow or ice very well. We drive the car to the ski area in everything Montana can throw at us and not once did I wish I had AWD - the snows, FWD and advanced traction control make AWD an unneeded expense for us.

It's really a great car and I'm pleased to see more and more of them on the road.

dave

Ahneida Ride
04-15-2014, 08:56 AM
Love da 6-speed .... WOW !!!!!! :banana:

gavingould
04-15-2014, 09:08 AM
if we need a second vehicle when that is available, i'm very interested. our 2013 JSW TDI has been great.

carpediemracing
04-15-2014, 10:19 AM

I'd do taller rims unless you're constantly driving in snow. For the JSW/Golf if I had a choice I'd do 17".

On the JSW we bought some take off 16" rims from the dealer. The car came with 17" rims and we kept those as OEM all seasons.

On the Golf I had the snows put on the 17" OEMs (like the ones in the picture, I think the rims are called Portos or something like that). I bought another pair of 17" rims (Enkeis, for their light weight) and put the OEM tires on those. The Enkei/OEM-tire rim/tire combo is over 10 lbs lighter than the OEM rims with Pirelli snows, from 46.9 lbs to 35.8 lbs per rim/tire unit.

I did the 17" snows on the Golf because, realistically, we drive 95% in non-snow conditions. The Golf was supposed to be our "more sporty" car, for short trips and such, so I wanted to stay with a shorter sidewall tire. Ends up the tires are fine even in deeper snow - unplowed interstate in Maine where even the locals said it was terrible out. I'd have stayed with 17" on the JSW now that I know that.

shovelhd
04-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Good to know CDR. I will consider 17's as well. BTW the wheels on my JSW are Portos. They are stock in the 2014 JSW TDI with pano.

tele
04-15-2014, 01:20 PM
Another thumb's up for 17s for the summer and 16s for the winter. We ran this setup on our tdi wagon and it worked very well.

thwart
04-15-2014, 01:45 PM
If you are willing to travel for a better price, there is a 'super salesman' who has been offering discounts on TDis to members of the TDi Club Forum (http://www.tdiclub.com/) (get the full skinny here for anything TDi) for years. He used to work for VW of Langhorne and is now at Burlington VW (close to Philly)--this thread (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=405400&highlight=Chris) tells that story, but you can also see the love the community has for him.

He's a real supporter of the TDi club web site, and a heck of a nice guy, and although we did not buy from him, numerous members of the TDi club have and at least one friend (I think he may have purchased 3 cars from him) and all have nothing but good things to say about him.

Anyways, here is his latest posting of the cars he has on offer (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=411727), and it looks as though he has a couple of used ones as well...

Good to know.

From his post: Manual trans cars becoming unavailable real quick!

staggerwing
04-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Another thumb's up for 17's for the summer and 16s for the winter. We ran this setup on our tdi wagon and it worked very well.

Yes! My better half wanted the pano room JSW, which came with 17's shod with low profile all-seasons. Clobbered a good size pothole with the front left about two months back, blistering the side wall, and bending the rim. Only had 4500 miles total on our new red rocket.

Almost $500 later, I have two new front tires, which worked better in unusually heavy snow winter, and a straightened rim.

Now, I'm looking for some 16's, to be shod with slightly higher profile winter tires, for next season. Low profile tires don't make much sense on poorly maintained roads.

thwart
04-15-2014, 02:19 PM
Yes! My better half wanted the pano room JSW, which came with 17's shod with low profile all-seasons. Clobbered a good size pothole with the front left about two months back, blistering the side wall, and bending the rim. Only had 4500 miles total on our new red rocket.

Almost $500 later, I have two new front tires, which worked better in unusually heavy snow winter, and a straightened rim.

Now, I'm looking for some 16's, to be shod with slightly higher profile winter tires, for next season. Low profile tires don't make much sense on poorly maintained roads.

These have been stellar this winter. 16" General Arctic Altimax. Quiet, smooth, no effect on mileage… but as some would point out, not best for hard cornering, though. Duh.

Given the above, though, maybe steelies are your best wheel choice. ;)

pjm
04-15-2014, 10:41 PM
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140411/NEWYORK/140419978

druptight
04-15-2014, 10:51 PM
If anyone has any pointers, not to thread jack, I'd love to know how you get in the 40's mpg for gas mileage. I'm on my 4th tank of gas on the 2010 automatic transmission TDI wagon I bought about 2 months back and I'm only getting 34ish per tank. When cruising at 70 I seem to get about 38ish. Mixed city nets me closer to 31. I've seen no trips in the 40's. I've tried cruise, no cruise.

Any secrets?

mistermo
04-16-2014, 05:59 AM
Since it appears that the VW Jetta wagon is the car of choice here, I thought I'd ask your collective opinion if you think that it would be worth waiting for the new 2015 wagon,

BTW - I am going for the 6-speed manual.

All this. I'm waiting too.

shovelhd
04-16-2014, 06:21 AM
If anyone has any pointers, not to thread jack, I'd love to know how you get in the 40's mpg for gas mileage. I'm on my 4th tank of gas on the 2010 automatic transmission TDI wagon I bought about 2 months back and I'm only getting 34ish per tank. When cruising at 70 I seem to get about 38ish. Mixed city nets me closer to 31. I've seen no trips in the 40's. I've tried cruise, no cruise.

Any secrets?

Go light on the throttle in first and second. Use third to accelerate and use the turbo to your advantage. Do not use cruise control on the highway. I think, though, the guys posting 40's have the 6MT. I'm still on my first tank with plenty left and it's looking like I'm headed for the low 40's with a brand new motor. As nice as the DSG is, this motor really benefits from a manual transmission.

oldpotatoe
04-16-2014, 06:47 AM
Go light on the throttle in first and second. Use third to accelerate and use the turbo to your advantage. Do not use cruise control on the highway. I think, though, the guys posting 40's have the 6MT. I'm still on my first tank with plenty left and it's looking like I'm headed for the low 40's with a brand new motor. As nice as the DSG is, this motor really benefits from a manual transmission.

What he said, quick to shift out of 1st and second, accel in third(on the turbo), up to speed in 4th and fifth, (like 65ish) then into 6th..about 1700 or so RPM. If you drive it like a gas..always between 2000 and 4000 RPM, not great milage..1600 or so thru 2300rpm or so-38-40MPG. At least for me.

thwart
04-16-2014, 06:55 AM

Yep.

Although in warmer weather I can drive aggressively and still get in the 40's (which seems kinda miraculous, actually).

Remember you've got a green motor, the mileage will improve as it breaks in.

I'm at 10K and I've noticed a difference.

This is from last week… no drafting, 70-75 mph on the interstate, more highway miles than in town...

druptight
04-16-2014, 08:22 AM
So my problem is that I've got the automatic? Should I be tiptronic-ing it to get the best gas mileage out of it? I can try that.

I wouldn't expect much difference between the auto and the manual transmissions when cruising on the highway - and I'm only seeing high 30's going 70ish.

Mine should be broken in, 44K miles.

echelon_john
04-16-2014, 08:32 AM
If you're in the northeast these guys are good to know about:
http://www.fruitlands.net/tdi/

Source for lightly used TDIs...

CDollarsign
04-16-2014, 08:50 AM
So my problem is that I've got the automatic? Should I be tiptronic-ing it to get the best gas mileage out of it? I can try that.

I wouldn't expect much difference between the auto and the manual transmissions when cruising on the highway - and I'm only seeing high 30's going 70ish.

Mine should be broken in, 44K miles.

I don't think the gearing is the same for either trans. That will change things.

staggerwing
04-16-2014, 09:10 AM
Haven't achieved any full tank averages over 40mpg, but then again, we have primarly short haul and stop and go cycles.

However, in highway mode, it is easy to get 40+mpg readings, if I keep my foot out of it, and stay at 70mph or below. However, despite the rather anemic, book HP rating, the darn thing pulls like a freight train, and has the chassis dynamics to back it up. It is quite comfortable lopping along for hours at 80mph.

My Mazda 3, even with fancy Koni FSD dampers, is an unsettled, jittery buzz bomb in comparison; albeit with higher ultimate handling limits.

shovelhd
04-16-2014, 10:57 AM
On my way back from the races last Sunday, I found that I would get better (indicated) mileage by going 72-75 than at 65-70. I don't trust the MFI for accuracy but can show trends as you are driving. I am intentionally varying speeds as part of the break in procedure. I think it's because at the higher speed range the engine is just on the cam and doesn't require as much throttle as the lower speed range. I'm still figuring all this stuff out. Heck I haven't even finished reading the owners manual yet.

r_mutt
04-16-2014, 11:03 AM
now my dealer says gas engine 15 Wagons will be available this summer, TDI in 1 year from now.

Ken Robb
04-16-2014, 12:08 PM
On my way back from the races last Sunday, I found that I would get better (indicated) mileage by going 72-75 than at 65-70. I don't trust the MFI for accuracy but can show trends as you are driving. I am intentionally varying speeds as part of the break in procedure. I think it's because at the higher speed range the engine is just on the cam and doesn't require as much throttle as the lower speed range. I'm still figuring all this stuff out. Heck I haven't even finished reading the owners manual yet.

One of the reasons for a diesel's efficiency is that it doesn't have a "throttle" in the true sense as in a gasoline engine. :-) One of my friends years ago used the term "footfeed". I am not making this up. :)

druptight
04-16-2014, 12:37 PM
now my dealer says gas engine 15 Wagons will be available this summer, TDI in 1 year from now.

This is what I was told at my dealership when I bought my used JSW a few months back, and why I indicated as much at the top of this thread (but thought I was proven wrong by all the blogs that say otherwise).

Ralph
04-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Dave Kirk said in a previous post he calculated the pay back in fuel economy from the more expensive TDI engine would take about 100,000 miles. Don't think I ever keep a car that long.

So if I got the TDI model, it would be because I just wanted, or needed, the more powerful engine. Especially at altitude. The TDI would be superior in hilly and mountainous terrain, where it's superior TQ would be useful. Got a friend with a new Audi TDI....believe a Q5. He loves the engine, but thinks it's sound/noise control, build quality, and electronics and entertainment systems are kinda antiquated compared to my Limited Ford Edge. And his car cost about $10,000 more. My 285 HP 3.5 engines does use a lot more fuel than his TDI. My friend is a fan of German cars though. And I admit......wouldn't mind having his 3.0 TDI engine in my Edge. Best of both.

BTW....if you are a fan of diesel compression ignition engines, I have read where other car companies are working on compression ignition gasoline engines. Hyundai especially. http://blog.caranddriver.com/hyundai-developing-gasoline-burning-compression-ignition-engine/

http://wot.motortrend.com/1402_hyundai_gasoline_direct_compression_ignition_ gdci_engine.html

thwart
04-16-2014, 03:34 PM

I think some on the TDI forums seem to think around 2K rpm is the sweet spot for mileage...

mistermo
04-16-2014, 07:18 PM
I'm a big fan of the TDis--and we have come close to buying a couple of times. We were a 2 diesel family while in Germany, and nothing beats that torque IMO.

I bought my TDI Touareg from Chris Farnham. When I was considering a Jetta SW TDI, I called him again and concluded I'd be crazy to buy from anywhere else. The deals were good enough to fly to PA and drive back. :hello:

mistermo
04-16-2014, 07:35 PM
Dave Kirk said in a previous post he calculated the pay back in fuel economy from the more expensive TDI engine would take about 100,000 miles. Don't think I ever keep a car that long.

If you don't keep your car that long, that makes your payback even faster. The gasser's depreciate MUCH faster than the TDIs. I think DK was evaluating only the mpg payback period, but if you include the depreciation aspect, TDI is the winner.

r_mutt
04-16-2014, 07:39 PM
I bought my TDI Touareg from Chris Farnham. When I was considering a Jetta SW TDI, I called him again and concluded I'd be crazy to buy from anywhere else. The deals were good enough to fly to PA and drive back. :hello:

i'm not far from Philly. Why should I buy from him? The dealership is too far to do regular maintenance. What are the benefits?

Ralph
04-16-2014, 08:42 PM
Looking at Edmunds true market value of 2014 TDI wagon, I just priced one out, and it looks like most folks are paying slightly less than invoice. So there must be some dealer cash coming from VW. No need to go far for best price obviously. I priced a 6 speed manual, maybe they don't sell well.

shovelhd
04-16-2014, 08:59 PM
I paid $2200 under invoice. I did not use Chris Farnham. I bought it from a dealer that is an hour away that had it incoming. February build. Took three weeks from deposit to delivery. It is a very difficult combination to find. Blue with cornsilk, TDI, sunroof, nav, and 6MT.

staggerwing
04-16-2014, 09:11 PM
I paid $2200 under invoice. I did not use Chris Farnham. I bought it from a dealer that is an hour away that had it incoming. February build. Took three weeks from deposit to delivery. It is a very difficult combination to find. Blue with cornsilk, TDI, sunroof, nav, and 6MT.

Blue with tan interior, in any configuration is a rarity and practically a unicorn with the 6MT. Would have loved that color combo, but ended up with red and tan, and sunroof.

She who would be driving it most also wanted the DSG. Who was I to argue. Honestly, it is a nice tranny, save for the pricey 40k maintenance intervals. A local independent VW specialist said they can do it for about $150 under the dealer though.

shovelhd
04-16-2014, 09:35 PM
Blue with tan interior, in any configuration is a rarity and practically a unicorn with the 6MT. Would have loved that color combo, but ended up with red and tan, and sunroof.

She who would be driving it most also wanted the DSG. Who was I to argue. Honestly, it is a nice tranny, save for the pricey 40k maintenance intervals. A local independent VW specialist said they can do it for about $150 under the dealer though.

Red/cornsilk was my second choice, but I was getting enough grief from my better half about my "mid life crisis vehicle" that blue was the priority :).

The DSG change kit is about $100 and it is an easy job.

Ralph
04-17-2014, 06:30 AM
Those who preferred the manual trans, but got the automatic because of "spousal pressure", how has that worked out for you? These posts getting me interested in this vehicle.

shovelhd
04-17-2014, 06:34 AM
FYI, my wife can drive a manual trans and can't wait to take the JSW for a ride.

thwart
04-17-2014, 08:43 AM
Those who preferred the manual trans, but got the automatic because of "spousal pressure", how has that worked out for you? These posts getting me interested in this vehicle.

FWIW, the VW manual trans is quite forgiving to learn on, and has a hill-holding feature programmed in as a default (this can be changed).

Taught one of my kids to drive stick on a Honda Fit. If you can master that car, with its super short 1st gear, well then this trans is 'easy street'.

David Kirk
04-17-2014, 08:52 AM
Mine has the 6 speed stick and it's a joy to use. The hill-hold feature took some getting used to as it's so easy to get going on a grade now...................I'd let off the brake and get surprised by the fact that the car didn't start rolling backward. Clever use of the ABS system.

dave

tele
04-17-2014, 09:02 AM
On the B5.5 Passat that I had the manual was really good in traffic: you could limp along at like 5mph without having to baby the clutch at all--great feature! Does the JSW manual have that?

gavingould
04-17-2014, 09:07 AM
we got the DSG partially due to spousal pressure, partially due to the traffic here being complete ····e and me being tired of rowing. so far it's been great - got a ways to go before that 40k service, by then i'll probably just DIY it. if we got a second one, i'd prefer it to be manual.

staggerwing
04-17-2014, 09:08 AM

My lady can still drive a stick, driving my 5spd Mazda on occasion, but at this point in time, simply prefers not to. I've always toed to an NRAish level fervor, believing that you may only pry the manual shift lever out of my cold, dead hands. However, for the daily cluster doodle that is short-haul, stop-and-go, urban driving, I'm slowly warming to her way of thinking.

Putting aside personal convictions, I would suggest trying one out in the flesh. The DSG transmission is no ordinary slush box. Better to think of it as a computer controlled, automated, dual-clutch, manual transmission. In regular D mode, it tends to shift early, and can be a little hesitant on the downshift, but quite livable once you get used to its idiosyncrasies. You simply need a little more authority with your right foot, if you want to force a downshift. On the other hand, S mode, entirely changes how it drives. Upshifts are much later in the game, and it is much easier to provoke downshifts. I'm only in S mode about 20% of the time, when I want to punch through traffic, our have it downshift more readily on varied terrain. Also use in crappy winter conditions, for more authoritative engine braking when off throttle. Of course, you can push the lever over to the right, to run in manual sequential mode. If you are going to over rev the engine, the computer will reject the shift command, but otherwise, expect an immediate response. Occasionally useful and fun.

If I could change one thing, I would love to see a mode somewhere between the normal D and sport S modes. There are some aftermarket "software" tunes that supposedly offer more authoritative response in D mode, but I don't feel the need to go there yet.

After this winter, a set of quality winter tires on 16's, is a much higher priority.

jds108
04-17-2014, 09:17 AM

I'd be interested in hearing more details about this. Did the $2200 include some kind of factory rebate, or was it just good negotiating? Did you finance through VW? I just typically buy my vehicles for invoice price and call it a day...

David Kirk
04-17-2014, 09:48 AM
I'd be interested in hearing more details about this. Did the $2200 include some kind of factory rebate, or was it just good negotiating? Did you finance through VW? I just typically buy my vehicles for invoice price and call it a day...

I went to our local dealer in Bozeman and they didn't have a stick shift on the floor so I told them I'd like to order one and was happy to give them a deposit. They told me they couldn't/wouldn't do that for some reason so I told them I'd take my business elsewhere and they doubled down and tried to sell me the auto.

I then went online and looked at dealerships in cities that I could take a one-hop flight to and looked at inventory with a stick shift. I found 3 places and called them all and told them what I was doing and ALL of them offered a discount off the sticker without my asking. I never ask for a discount as a fully respect that they all need to make a living.........but if they offer one unsolicited I'll be happy to take it.

I struck a deal with a dealer in Salt Lake City and Karin and I used miles to get tickets for no cash out of hand to get there. The dealer gave us more than $2000 off the sticker and this made the hassle more than worth it.

In our case we flew down (less than a 1 hour flight) and the dealer picked us up at the airport and brought us to the dealership. We went over the car, gave them a check and then took a week long road trip to see the sights. It was a great way to break in the car and have some time with Karin in our shiny new car.

I'd buy from the SLC dealer again in a minute and think when we need to replace our Mini it will be with a Golf TDi bough from the same dealer.

dave

oldpotatoe
04-17-2014, 09:59 AM
I went to our local dealer in Bozeman and they didn't have a stick shift on the floor so I told them I'd like to order one and was happy to give them a deposit. They told me they couldn't/wouldn't do that for some reason so I told them I'd take my business elsewhere and they doubled down and tried to sell me the auto.

I then went online and looked at dealerships in cities that I could take a one-hop flight to and looked at inventory with a stick shift. I found 3 places and called them all and told them what I was doing and ALL of them offered a discount off the sticker without my asking. I never ask for a discount as a fully respect that they all need to make a living.........but if they offer one unsolicited I'll be happy to take it.

I struck a deal with a dealer in Salt Lake City and Karin and I used miles to get tickets for no cash out of hand to get there. The dealer gave us more than $2000 off the sticker and this made the hassle more than worth it.

In our case we flew down (less than a 1 hour flight) and the dealer picked us up at the airport and brought us to the dealership. We went over the car, gave them a check and then took a week long road trip to see the sights. It was a great way to break in the car and have some time with Karin in our shiny new car.

I'd buy from the SLC dealer again in a minute and think when we need to replace our Mini it will be with a Golf TDi bough from the same dealer.

dave

When I bought mine they had 2 6s, red/silk, in Colorado. I got one, in a lot in Denver. Got the impression it was joint use, VW dealers, lot. I asked about a discount and he came down about $4000 from sticker(not invoice) without batting an eye. Gebhardt VW in Boulder, part of a family of car dealer owners here, brother or sister has the BMW dealer, another sibling has a high end, Euro car only, used lot....

If ya want to travel, might check them. I wish I needed another VW(have a Beetle also-gas), I'd get another TDI.

Ken Robb
04-17-2014, 10:24 AM
On the B5.5 Passat that I had the manual was really good in traffic: you could limp along at like 5mph without having to baby the clutch at all--great feature! Does the JSW manual have that?

This is typical of all modern cars I have driven because the ECU tries to maintain the preset idle speed regardless of engine load. Oldsters like me can remember (maybe) when idle speed in older cars without electronic engine management would slow down when we turned on the A/C. On those cars we had to slip the clutch and/or feed in more throttle to inch along in traffic.

Ralph
04-17-2014, 11:01 AM
My wife can drive a manual trans just fine. She just prefers not to.

tele
04-17-2014, 11:02 AM
This is typical of all modern cars I have driven because the ECU tries to maintain the preset idle speed regardless of engine load. Oldsters like me can remember (maybe) when idle speed in older cars without electronic engine management would slow down when we turned on the A/C. On those cars we had to slip the clutch and/or feed in more throttle to inch along in traffic.
thanks Ken, didnt realize that!

we got the DSG partially due to spousal pressure, partially due to the traffic here being complete ····e and me being tired of rowing. so far it's been great - got a ways to go before that 40k service, by then i'll probably just DIY it. if we got a second one, i'd prefer it to be manual.
When we had the JSW with the DSG and hit 40k, I went to our local tdi guru and he did the service for less than half of the stealership. I talked and watched him do the service and would have to say doing the DSG service looked ridiculous! The engineering for the DSG into the engine bay left no thought as far as servicing goes. My guru had a homemade contraption to fill the DSG properly and needed to take some parts off for proper access. I would do some serious research on how to do it before you attempt. Of course YMMV and IMHO etc......

shovelhd
04-17-2014, 11:30 AM

Sure. Right now there is a matrix of incentives for 2014 TDI and JSW. If you take one, it may change whether you get another. At the price I got, all rebates went to the dealer. By rule they could not offer me the 0.9% VW Credit financing, as that would reduce the rebate by $250, but they gave it to me anyway. Net to me was $2200 under invoice, 0.9 and KBB for my high mileage auction destined trade.

I usually cut these deals on my own by working directly with the fleet or internet manager, but this time I wanted to try Truecar, and did. Two dealers responded. One in CT did not have the vehicle but would do a locate, and had done a dozen Truecar deals. The one I went with had the car already on order exactly the way I wanted it, and had done over 500 Truecar deals. They are an hour away. I will take it to them for the 30 day checkup and then do the rest of the free maintenance locally. After that I do it myself.

Good luck. 6MT in any colors than black, white or silver are very hard to get.

jds108
04-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Sure....

Thanks for the info. I'm going to wait for the new model and I'm sure there won't be the same incentives, but do appreciate the info on the buying process.

I want to see the car first hand before ordering/buying and want to wait to see the (hopefully) improved fuel economy that the new model is supposed to offer over the equivalent '14 vehicles.

staggerwing
04-17-2014, 12:05 PM
When we had the JSW with the DSG and hit 40k, I went to our local tdi guru and he did the service for less than half of the stealership. I talked and watched him do the service and would have to say doing the DSG service looked ridiculous! The engineering for the DSG into the engine bay left no thought as far as servicing goes. My guru had a homemade contraption to fill the DSG properly and needed to take some parts off for proper access. I would do some serious research on how to do it before you attempt. Of course YMMV and IMHO etc......

I've done my fair share of shade tree mechanic work, but this is one I'm not going to touch, at least the first time around. Although not extraordinarily difficult, the penalty for screwing it up is quite steep. The son-in-law of a good friend lunched the DSG in his S4 Audi after an improper service from an inexperienced garage. Almost seven grand to a dealer later, and he was back on the road.

If you want to take a look, here (http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/dsg-fluid-drain-and-replacement-service-vw-and-audi-stronic-oil-flush/) is the procedure.

Cat3roadracer
04-17-2014, 12:31 PM
I've done my fair share of shade tree mechanic work, but this is one I'm not going to touch, at least the first time around. Although not extraordinarily difficult, the penalty for screwing it up is quite steep. The son-in-law of a good friend lunched the DSG in his S4 Audi after an improper service from an inexperienced garage. Almost seven grand to a dealer later, and he was back on the road.

If you want to take a look, here (http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/dsg-fluid-drain-and-replacement-service-vw-and-audi-stronic-oil-flush/) is the procedure.

This is the post I was waiting for, 7k to repair the DSG.

I will definitely be heading to a dealer for this service.

FlashUNC
04-17-2014, 12:38 PM
This is the post I was waiting for, 7k to repair the DSG.

I will definitely be heading to a dealer for this service.

This is the exact reason I went with a manual in my GTI. The DSG is an amazing auto gearbox, but the thought of the fluid changes and the expensive bits if it does go south gave me pause.

shovelhd
04-17-2014, 12:40 PM

True, but the TDI kills the engine below a certain RPM to protect itself. I think it's 600-700 or so. Super low. The torque of the TDI and the tiny first gear make creeping easy if you like to do that. I just wait for a gap to open then drive.

shovelhd
04-17-2014, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm going to wait for the new model and I'm sure there won't be the same incentives, but do appreciate the info on the buying process.

I want to see the car first hand before ordering/buying and want to wait to see the (hopefully) improved fuel economy that the new model is supposed to offer over the equivalent '14 vehicles.

It's supposed to be +2-3mpg but you will need to add Bluetec.

cnighbor1
04-17-2014, 01:48 PM
With its new President and CEO of America, Michael Horn, on stage in New York after just 100 days on the job, Volkswagen debuted its 2015 Jetta. You'd be forgiven for noticing little differences compared to the outgoing model, and in the words of Horn himself, the changes are indeed subtle. The most notable of those subtleties is the all-new 2.0 liter turbo diesel motor, offering 45 mpg highway and a modest increase of 10 hp.

For VW, diesel is where it's at.

During a roundtable meeting preceding the reveal, Horn told Yahoo Autos that diesel motors represent 25-percent of their sales, and that VW controls over 70-percent of the U.S. diesel market. Beyond the range benefits and punchy torque, the buyers of diesels are more affluent and upscale -- the type of customers all manufacturers are keen to attract. Despite increasing its hybrid models, diesel motors are where the company sees the most room for growth, along with a re-haul of its SUV lineup starting in 2016.

The 2015 Jetta arrives with tweaked interior finishes -- like a soft-touch dashboard -- and nifty safety equipment such as blind spot detection, rear cross-traffic alert and frontal collision warnings. As Horn told us, VW buyers -- specifically American customers -- want more technology for less dough (aren't we greedy?). While pricing for the new Jetta hasn't yet been revealed, it's said to be close to the outgoing model, and in fact better value when some of these various options are ticked. Safety and affordability, not necessarily style, is VW's core focus, according to Horn -- although he did hint that the new Passat, arriving next year, will receive a major restyle.

2015 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen
Also hitting the stage at the New York auto show was Volkswagen's Golf Sportwagen concept, with the concept part arriving as a bit of a surprise. For starters, the car is production ready, but VW want to gauge public reaction before commiting to making it. While Americans are known for buying no wagons whatsoever, transitioning the current Jetta Sportwagen to the Golf family only amplifies the Golf brand -- which remains Volkswagen's key model, after all.

Talking of which, the 2015 Golf GTI has had its price released, and starting at just $24,395, it's a relative bargain -- especially when you consider that this seventh generation Golf, set to hit dealerships shortly, is a true return to form for the car that originally coined the term "hot hatch."

dawgie
04-17-2014, 03:14 PM
I was looking at Jetta Sport Wagons in late 2012 but the local dealers did not have any in stock with manual transmissions. I test drove a few Golfs with manual transmissions, both TDI and 2.5L models. I was surprised to find that the 2.5 accelerated much better than the TDI and also cost $5,000 less. Long story short, I ended up buying a Golf 2.5 with manual transmission.

However, I still find myself lusting after a TDI Jetta wagon. They are very hard to find with manual transmissions, and you pretty much have to broaden your search across many states. I will probably keep the Golf for a few years because I would take a bath trading it in so quickly, and it actually works pretty nice for my purposes 95% of the time. When I take long trips or haul my bike, that's when I regret not getting the JSW. That's where they really shine with regard to comfort, handling and gas mileage. For commuting, the Golf is better because it's so darn easy to park.

shovelhd
04-17-2014, 06:56 PM
First fill up, 60/40 city/highway, 43mpg. Booyah.

FixedGear
04-20-2014, 10:27 AM
Pull the plug on a TDI, regardless of year. My son has a 2011 TDI and loves it. A old HS buddy of mine has one who lives in South Central Illinois and can squeeze 60 MPG out of it. And it's an automatic.

mistermo
04-20-2014, 11:35 AM
i'm not far from Philly. Why should I buy from him? The dealership is too far to do regular maintenance. What are the benefits?

Namely, price. No one else could ever come close. But now that he's at a new dealer, maybe that's changed. But he's also a fun, direct, no-nonsense, easy to deal with guy.

Craig Ryan
04-20-2014, 01:39 PM
I have an '11 tdi golf and love it, not a problem so far. Here are a couple of thoughts.
- If you're driving around town you're not going to get 45mpg, or even close to it. Ideally you'd like to have a drive which is at least 30 minutes long and you drive 45mph the whole time. You'd get phenomenal mileage then. Having the diesel is cool and all, but the pay back probably isn't there if you're life time avg. mpg is only 35-38. On the highway these cars really shine! You can get well up in the 45-50 range on every fill up on an extended trip.
- The little digital readout computer in the dash isn't telling you your real mpg. It's only guessing on data provided. It's great for a comparative tool though.
- If VW built in a boost gauge it would be much more valuable for attaining better mpg. Low boost = low fuel use.
- Back in the day we had an energy crisis, and mpg were important to reduce the use of oil. Now we have an air quality issue and mpg don't matter as much as cleaning up the exhaust. Slight difference, but it's the reason we have so much EGR choking our engines. VW chose to go with ramped up EGR vs. SCR, I think it was a mistake and keep my fingers crossed. I bought the warranty.
- Thule racks fit great on the Golf. We haul our tandem.
- I bought a brand new 1981 Civic 1300. It got 41mpg on the fill up time after time. That was a different time in safety and comfort expectations though.

Like I said, I love these cars and would get another in a heartbeat. I'm not fond of the wagon looks, but it's got more room.

carpediemracing
04-28-2014, 02:27 PM
Thought after this weekend. Missus, sister, and two sis-in-laws went to do the marathon in NJ. On the way back they fueled up at the Vince Lombardi rest stop. Lines for gas were insane, a sea of cars waiting for gas. Lines for diesel nonexistent.

staggerwing
04-28-2014, 02:36 PM
Yep.

Just yesterday, there was a new and unexpected twist, diesel was 4 cents less per gallon than regular grade gasoline. (diesel $3.759, gas $3.799). Don't know how long that is going to last though. Generally, there is about a 30 cent premium on diesel.

druptight
04-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Yep.

Just yesterday, there was a new and unexpected twist, diesel was 4 cents less per gallon than regular grade gasoline. (diesel $3.759, gas $3.799). Don't know how long that is going to last though. Generally, there is about a 30 cent premium on diesel.

Gap is closing here. Was close to 75 cents a month ago, yesterday I paid $4.15 diesel and regular unleaded was $3.79.

With warmer weather and more attentive driving style, I scored my first 500 gallon tank with my fill up yesterday, 513 miles and 35.13 mpg calculated. Right near the end of the tank I finally got around to checking my tire pressure and found the 4 tires to be all over the map so I fixed that and am hoping it will help further on the next tank. Also did some highway trips where I averaged 42/43, so i'm hoping I can get to some full tank 40's in the coming summer months.

carpediemracing
04-28-2014, 03:39 PM
We shop at Stop&Shop, fill up at Shell (using Stop&Shop points). Our last fill up (two cars plus 2 x 5 gal cans) was at 2.29/gal, with $1.20 off a gallon just from careful shopping, the rest from actual purchases. With both cars at once plus the 10 gallons it's close to the 35 gallon limit for discounted fuel.

shovelhd
04-28-2014, 04:58 PM
CDR, you know I hate you, buddy.

I'm averaging low 40's in mixed city and highway and high 40's pure highway at 70mph, no cruise.

Around here diesel is stuck at $3.96/gal and RUG has ballooned to $3.65/gal, up 30 cents in two weeks.

carpediemracing
04-28-2014, 09:58 PM
CDR, you know I hate you, buddy.

I'm averaging low 40's in mixed city and highway and high 40's pure highway at 70mph, no cruise.

Around here diesel is stuck at $3.96/gal and RUG has ballooned to $3.65/gal, up 30 cents in two weeks.

$2.29 is definitely an outlier, $1.80 off per gallon ($4.09 regular price when we filled, locally it's about 30 cents higher). NJ the Missus paid $3.77 Sunday, at the rest stop. Normally we're in the $0.50 - $1 off per gallon range.

When we had a gas and a diesel we couldn't take advantage of the pricing, we couldn't fill two cars in one transaction. With two diesels (and the two extra cans) it's nice.

r_mutt
06-21-2014, 05:19 PM
update to this thread:

i couldn't wait for next year's new model update. the deed is done. i am now the owner of a 2014 6 Sp TDI Jetta Wagon.

Picked it up today. Well pleased!

Thanks all for the help here.

Cat3roadracer
06-21-2014, 05:31 PM
Pictures and details please. You will love it.

shovelhd
06-21-2014, 05:33 PM
Congrats.

thwart
06-21-2014, 06:52 PM
The more I drive it, the more I like it.

You can play the eco-driver, watching the mpg creep toward (or past) 50...

… or use the torque and handling to have a different kind of fun.

bcroslin
06-21-2014, 09:17 PM
update to this thread:

i couldn't wait for next year's new model update. the deed is done. i am now the owner of a 2014 6 Sp TDI Jetta Wagon.

Picked it up today. Well pleased!

Thanks all for the help here.

Congratulations! We're headed out tomorrow on a 9-day college tour with our daughter in our TDI Sportwagen. I'm actually excited to drive and of course to brag about the gas mileage along the way.