PDA

View Full Version : Stretching schwalbe ultremo ht tubular

moose8
04-13-2014, 09:02 PM
I've successfully stretched Vittoria, challenge, tufo and another type of schwalbe but for the life of me I can't stretch this one. I tried putting it in the dryer for a few minutes and also tried soaking it in warm water. Any suggestions, or do I just need stronger hands?
Thanks

ultraman6970
04-13-2014, 10:11 PM
Never used the dryer technique because I got scare that the glue all over might get too soft, and actually with some materials instead of get softer they shrink.

I got a set of old checks tubulars a few months ago and they were the hardest thing to mount, what I ended up doing is just putting like 10 psi and each night I was having 10 mins stretching sessions with them. Put them in the floor with your feet and pull "gently" towards you with your hands... this is when some are already making faces :P

There is another way using your arms, but technically is the same thing than with the feet. After like a week i was able to put them in a rim.

Hope this helps, "gentle" is the word ok? if you pull like hulk you might end up snapping some fibers.

Good luck.

moose8
04-17-2014, 01:51 PM
I'm still having a bear of a time with these. How long is a good amount to put them in the dryer? Maybe I didn't do it long enough last time. They are brand new tires with no glue on them. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I tried ultra's but no luck yet.

SpeedyChix
04-17-2014, 02:19 PM
I had similar battles with some Schwalbe One tubs. Biggest battle I've had getting new tires onto stretching rims ever. Resorted to putting the tire over myself in a semi-squat and used my back and shins to do some stretching of it. Careful as you can tear base tape if you're real strong. I gave it a few semi-gentle stretches, turning it a couple times, then barely got it onto the rim. Still took full downward pressure to get 'em snapped on the rim after that. Not looking forward to getting 'em onto the rim with glue. Need to do it real soon though. Hope they ride nice.

oldpotatoe
04-17-2014, 02:24 PM
I've successfully stretched Vittoria, challenge, tufo and another type of schwalbe but for the life of me I can't stretch this one. I tried putting it in the dryer for a few minutes and also tried soaking it in warm water. Any suggestions, or do I just need stronger hands?
Thanks

Are they cotton? Made where? True tubies, not Tufo-esque?

Dumb answer but ya sure they are 700/28 inch not 650/26 inch.

moose8
04-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Are they cotton? Made where? True tubies, not Tufo-esque?

Dumb answer but ya sure they are 700/28 inch not 650/26 inch.

The casing is "300-tpi polyester" and I'm pretty sure they're 700/28 but I'll definitely double check. I certainly wouldn't put it past me. I'm not sure where they are made but I believe Asia somewhere. They have a latex inner tube.

oldpotatoe
04-17-2014, 03:02 PM
The casing is "300-tpi polyester" and I'm pretty sure they're 700/28 but I'll definitely double check. I certainly wouldn't put it past me. I'm not sure where they are made but I believe Asia somewhere. They have a latex inner tube.

Some are just made kinda small... They say to not do this but foot on inside of tire, grab tire and gently puuuulllll. Don't want tear the base tape but these are gonna be a btch to mount.

moose8
04-17-2014, 03:05 PM
Some are just made kinda small... They say to not do this but foot on inside of tire, grab tire and gently puuuulllll. Don't want tear the base tape but these are gonna be a btch to mount.

Thanks. Two nights in a row I've sent the rim flying across my living room and creating a huge racket in my feeble attempts to mount them, so this sounds like a safer plan for a klutz like myself.

nrs5000
04-17-2014, 04:03 PM
I just got some Schwalbe Ones. The first I stretched on an old FIR rim. It was hard to get on and I was worried I would break the rim at the seam. The second I put on a built up wheel. I was able to get a lot more purchase on it and it went on a lot easier. So the moral of the story is, try a built wheel if you have one.

rwsaunders
04-17-2014, 05:32 PM
I had a similar experience with some Conti Competitions, but eventually I won. I recently mounted some Veloflex and Vittoria tubbies...pretty easy. At least you shouldn't have to worry about the Schwalbe's rolling off.

moose8
04-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Success! It involved hooking the tire around my back to my knee and stretching both me and the tire extensively. What was a little weird was the next identical tire went on the same as usual with other tires and was on within two minutes and wasn't nearly as difficult and didn't require the insane stretching. It was almost like the first one was manufactured just a tiny bit smaller or something. I spent like an hour and a half over three days trying it get the first one on.

As always, thanks for the help.