PDA

View Full Version : bar tape glue removal?

josephr
04-13-2014, 08:05 PM
So, used Cinelli bar-tape and now its time for a re-wrap...pulled the old stuff off and there's enough adhesive left on handlebar to seal an ark....both alcohol and goof-off seem to take care of business, but seems time-consuming and tedious. Any suggestions/ideas or is putting in the rub-time my best option?

Thanks!
Joe

notsew
04-13-2014, 08:13 PM
Acetone.

Acetone works wonders on all types of goo.

cmbicycles
04-13-2014, 08:19 PM
Leave the glue and tape over it, you'll never see it or feel it... until its time to re-wrap again. It will add some weight, but it will make the new tape 10% stiffer and more vertically compliant :rolleyes:

Ssalmon
04-13-2014, 08:20 PM
I think putting the rub-time is an option. I think not worrying about the glue residue at all is the best option.

Ahneida Ride
04-13-2014, 08:54 PM
HandleBra has none of that glue crapola ....

and no stinking logo either.

josephr
04-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Leave the glue and tape over it, you'll never see it or feel it... until its time to re-wrap again. It will add some weight, but it will make the new tape 10% stiffer and more vertically compliant :rolleyes:

its a LOT of glue....actually, parts of the tape that didn't pull off too...I'm not worried about the weight as its an 80s steel ride, but the a-retentive in me says its gotta be clean first. Plus its a 40cm and want to trade it for a 42cm.
Joe

bike-md
04-13-2014, 09:01 PM
I would just re-tape and forget about the glue.

Or if you really want to get rid of the glue, you can try WD-40...

Veloo
04-13-2014, 10:40 PM
Not what you originally asked but I always remove that layer of adhesive from tape before I wrap. It's pretty easy - just gotta be a bit patient and it comes off as one whole adhesive tape. Been wrapping my own bars for over 10 years this way and haven't had any slippage. I hate the glue residue. I don't bother taping my cables to the bars either. Just found it redundant as the bar tap will keep it in place anyway.

Saguaro
04-13-2014, 11:50 PM
Goo Gone works great. Made short work of the tape residue on my bars.

http://googone.com/GG-Browse-Products/Goo-Gone-8oz

WSBA Jr.
04-14-2014, 02:56 AM
I've used 3M general purpose adhesive cleaner, both quart liquid and spray can, for custom paintwork prep on cars and boats. Also use Zep citrus cleaner and degreaser (full strength) on bicycle bar tape residue, cleaning drive train (rings, deraileurs, etc.) Use your rubber gloves!

To clean layers of glue from tubular carbon wheels (the worst job of adhesive removal), I use mineral spirits or adhesive cleaner, wrap in Handi-Wrap plastic to let the aromatics work on the hardened glue, plastic scraping device after things soften up, hand rubbing with solvent/rubber gloves/rags, finally use a hot synthetic solvent (acetone or brake cleaner) to remove the solvent residue...a perfectly clean carbon wheel ready for yet more glue! Family may put up with some spirits or cleaner smell, but I'm outside with the hot solvents. ;-)

Cicli
04-14-2014, 04:09 AM
Wrap the bars with wide electrical tape before taping with bar tape. Then you can peel the bar tape and then the electrical tape and its pretty clean.
I got tired of the electrical tape goo so about a year or two ago I switched to cotton friction tape under the bar tape. Works great.

Plum Hill
04-14-2014, 07:42 AM
I second the friction tape.
It only sticks to itself, so there is no residue. Half-lap it on installation, then put your favorite bar tape over it. If there is ever a need to get to the bare bars, the friction tape will come right off.
I've successfully removed and re-wrapped Cinelli and Specialized tape over friction tape.
Only problem is finding it. It's not a popular item these days, and no one under 30 (or maybe even 40) knows what it is.

phcollard
04-14-2014, 07:48 AM
Spray generously with WD40. Let sit 15 minutes. Wipe off :)

Tony T
04-14-2014, 08:49 AM
Spray generously with WD40. Let sit 15 minutes. Wipe off :)

That's how I did it.
To prevent re-occurrence, place any stock of Cinelli tape you have in the trash and switch to Fizik :)

dave thompson
04-14-2014, 08:56 AM
Friction tape; also called hockey tape.

LegendRider
04-14-2014, 09:11 AM
Be careful - Goo Gone, WD40, etc. can ruin graphics on your bars.

Ahneida Ride
04-14-2014, 10:32 AM
Friction tape; also called hockey tape.

HandleBra over hockey tape works very well indeed. !!!

oldpotatoe
04-14-2014, 11:27 AM
So, used Cinelli bar-tape and now its time for a re-wrap...pulled the old stuff off and there's enough adhesive left on handlebar to seal an ark....both alcohol and goof-off seem to take care of business, but seems time-consuming and tedious. Any suggestions/ideas or is putting in the rub-time my best option?

Thanks!
Joe

Time, glue remover and don't use that crap bar tape anymore. Cinelli Gel, or a variety of others work fine.