PDA

View Full Version : Aliante Position, Groupthink?

jmeloy
04-13-2014, 01:51 PM
Hi gang, is there a standard among the group as to the angle of the dangle, i.e. are you mounting it dead level, front to back, or is the nose down a touch? Thanks all!

oldpotatoe
04-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Hi gang, is there a standard among the group as to the angle of the dangle, i.e. are you mounting it dead level, front to back, or is the nose down a touch? Thanks all!

Start level, IMHO. Weight on hands? Nose up a wee bit. But long straight edge on entire saddle, front to back, make that level.

I don't understand down pointing saddles on any bike. If it does, lower saddle then make level.

jmeloy
04-13-2014, 02:06 PM
Currently nose is a touch down and yep a bit of a load on the hands. Thanks OP I'll level it a bit.

thwart
04-13-2014, 02:14 PM
For me… about 5 degrees tilted up.

rePhil
04-13-2014, 02:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsoFD_rhNkQ

jmeloy
04-13-2014, 02:58 PM
Excellent just what I needed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluesea
04-13-2014, 02:59 PM
The carbon-kev Aliante was my fav for quite awhile.

I move fore and aft a lot, and like to climb steep hills. Used it level because I mostly sit with seat bones low on the outside radius, not on top of saddle.

A Level Aliante flips the tail up, which I really like for seated climbing, at which point the tail is not angled up anymore!

Jimbo
04-13-2014, 03:35 PM
Have a look at the thread over in the Fitter forum about flat vs curved back. The key to seat set up is the ability to "unweight" your hands. If you can't lift your hands off the bars try tilting the nose up a little.

John H.
04-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Don't fear going nose up.
I had always run mine close to level.
One day I hit a bump so hard that it made me hit my saddle hard enough where it moved a couple degrees nose down.
Because I was on the road, when I "leveled" it back out it ended up about 2 degrees up. This actually felt better and also keeps me centered on the saddle.
I am leaving it this way-

thirdgenbird
04-13-2014, 04:48 PM
For me… about 5 degrees tilted up.

There are some sweet parts on that Gunnar

Black Dog
04-13-2014, 05:06 PM
I just recently scowered the web for the same info. The vast majority of folks like the alliante at dead level or 1-2 degrees nose up. They all measure with a level set across the nose and tail. I ride all of mine at dead level. I use a digital angle finder on top of a spirit level. Each degree of tilt is approximately 2mm or 1/8th of an inch at the nose. It is a great saddle as soon as you get the tilt right for you. Off a bit and this saddle is an ass hatchet.

Strangely, fizik has a a video telling people how to set the tilt and they recommend that the tilt be set to zero on the front of the saddle which would be tilted way down when measured nose to tail. :eek:

MattTuck
04-13-2014, 05:08 PM
A few degrees nose up. YMMV.

buldogge
04-13-2014, 05:38 PM
+1 million…I'm about 2deg up, as well.

-Mark in St. Louis

thwart
04-13-2014, 05:48 PM
There are some sweet parts on that Gunnar

I have to get around to posting it in the gallery. My help-me-get-thru-winter build.

Lanterne Rouge
04-13-2014, 06:10 PM
Slightly up, maybe a few degrees. I ride on the rivets most of the time so I need it angled up so I don't slide off.

1centaur
04-13-2014, 06:25 PM
1.4 degrees up on multiple bikes.

unterhausen
04-13-2014, 09:55 PM
I have mine a little nose-down. I tried it level, didn't like it. I always fit my bikes so I can lift my hands off the bars, putting it nose down doesn't seem to be an issue with that. I have heard of putting B17's nose up and thought the Aliante might work that way too, but I've never tried it. Right now I'm riding a different saddle, intend to get back to the Aliante sooner or later though

Saguaro
04-14-2014, 12:02 AM
I set my Gilles Berthoud touring saddle about level for the first year. I started to feel I was "sliding downhill" and made some adjustments. I lowered the saddle and raised the nose 1 to 2 degrees. What an improvement! I now feel perfectly settled in on the saddle. Makes a real difference on long rides.