PDA

View Full Version : Rubino Pro III vs. Panaracer T-Serv in 28mm

bobswire
04-12-2014, 01:22 PM
I'm thinking of trying the Vittoria Rubino Pro III 28's. I have been using Panaracer T-Serv in 28mm for years as a good commute/all rounder urban tire that can take a beating. I thought I'd try the Rubino 28's for a change of pace (plus I can get them cheaper). Anyone have any experience with the 28's? Not the 25c Rubino (which are my go to all around tires for 25mm). Just seeking those with actual experience with the Rubino III 28's specifically. Grazie...

tbcpn
04-12-2014, 03:31 PM
I just this morning took off the T-Serv 28c and put on Rubino Pro III 28c. On this particular bike, I typically run the T-Serv in the winter and the Rubino in Spring / Fall. Rubino measures 26.5 - 27 on my CXP-33. Ride is better than the T-Serv--more supple superior road feel. Did my last two Cycle Oregon rides on the Rubino III--no flats or issues, and they wear well.

I own a variety of 27-28c clinchers--Open Pave 27, Ultremo ZX, Pasela TG, GB Cerf, Schwalbe Durano, and a couple others. The Open Pave and Ultremo clearly have the nicest ride of the lot, but at 200 - 220# depending upon time of year, those rear tires don't last a terribly long time under me. Rubino III are a good value with respectable ride quality, IMO.

bobswire
04-12-2014, 07:55 PM
I just this morning took off the T-Serv 28c and put on Rubino Pro III 28c. On this particular bike, I typically run the T-Serv in the winter and the Rubino in Spring / Fall. Rubino measures 26.5 - 27 on my CXP-33. Ride is better than the T-Serv--more supple superior road feel. Did my last two Cycle Oregon rides on the Rubino III--no flats or issues, and they wear well.

I own a variety of 27-28c clinchers--Open Pave 27, Ultremo ZX, Pasela TG, GB Cerf, Schwalbe Durano, and a couple others. The Open Pave and Ultremo clearly have the nicest ride of the lot, but at 200 - 220# depending upon time of year, those rear tires don't last a terribly long time under me. Rubino III are a good value with respectable ride quality, IMO.

Thanks for your input,I'll go ahead and try the Pro III.
Bob

dawgie
04-13-2014, 02:45 PM
I've been commuting on Rubino Pro 28s. Nice ride, decent wear and flat resistance. My only gripe is they measure only 26.5 mm wide on Open Pro rims.

bobswire
04-13-2014, 03:03 PM
I've been commuting on Rubino Pro 28s. Nice ride, decent wear and flat resistance. My only gripe is they measure only 26.5 mm wide on Open Pro rims.

That's fine by me since the frame I'll be using them on won't accept anything over 28 anyway plus I'll using the wider H + Plus Son TB14 rims which should help.

hockeybike
04-13-2014, 03:16 PM
Anyone here tried the pro IIIs in 25mm on 23mm rims? Curious about how wide they balloon.

Thanks!

Look585
04-13-2014, 03:18 PM
That's fine by me since the frame I'll be using them on won't accept anything over 28 anyway plus I'll using the wider H + Plus Son TB14 rims which should help.

They measure a full 28mm on my Velocity Synergys, maybe a bit more. Synergy is 24mm rim so a bit wider than the TB14s. 25mm Rubino Pro Slicks run 26+mm on my TB14s tho.

The 28mms are good tires for sure. They performed very well over the cobbles of N. France yesterday.

eddief
04-13-2014, 03:26 PM
I am doing an eval of a pair of 28's on my Privateer.

http://gearinches.com/blog/reviews/maxxis-re-fuse-tire-review

KidWok
04-13-2014, 11:36 PM

No experience with the Rubino's but would chime in that T-Serv's are pretty chunky riding tires...wouldn't take much to do better. I use them as rear wheel tires in the summer because they do last quite awhile. Will NEVER use a Panaracer Pasela or T-Serv again in the winter months...horrible grip. I've had them squirrel around on manhole covers and pebble-top roads a few times too many.

Bob...check out Schwab Marathon Supreme...they are spendier, but I've never been more willing to pay full price for a tire. That compound is magic...great grip AND durability.

Tai