PDA

View Full Version : Riding suggestions near Apex, NC

bluecsi
04-12-2014, 11:45 AM
Hey everyone,

I'll be in Apex NC next week on a business trip. I'll need to bring a bike to offset the funk of the business aspect of my days there. Anyone have any good suggestions on where to ride? Could be mountain or road.

I've received suggestions already for Lake Crabtree Park, a trail called The 286, by the airport, and a loop by the nuclear power plant. That one sounds like fun:)

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

Pete Mckeon
04-12-2014, 11:58 AM
look up RALEIGH GREEN WAY AND see routes, Lake Crabtree is nice, Around Jordon lake and the nuclear plant area are rustic. if you do not get any here, stop by Cycle Spoken Here for Q sheets from past rides, I have not been riding in Cary for over 5 years for I live in North Raleigh out by Falls Lake, Plenty of routes out that way almost to Wake Field. I can assist you if CARY area does not pan out. pete

blilrat
04-12-2014, 07:58 PM
I'm not in Apex, but I can give you a few suggestions. It depends on the kind of riding you want to do:

Crushed gravel -- there's the American Tobacco Trail - flat, 20 miles, but lots of runners and walkers or Umstead (same location as 286) - extremely wide, 15+ mile loop with a couple of nice short, steep climbs if you go CCW. Umstead is the more challenging of the two and much more bike friendly(fewer walkers/runners). Here's a good map: http://www.gobushwhack.com/images/Map2-Bushwhack_MTB_Race_Umstead_Loop_Rev1.pdf Ride the suggested route in reverse for a challenge.

Mountain - I rode 286 today and there are still a lot of wet spots, but for the most part, it's in good shape. You can get in about 15+ miles of singletrack back there. A few jumps and rough sections, but mostly XC type riding. You'll see full squish on the trail, but I've ridden a hardtail without any trouble. Make sure you bring some type of GPS, it's a bandit trail and there are no signs.
There's also Rocky Road across the way from 286 if you're looking for more technical riding.
Crabtree is a beginner's trail where I take my 7 year old. If you're going during the workday, it's a good place to try out those small cogs since it's not too busy.

Road - agree with above about CSH. My weekend ride is out to and then around Lake Jordan which isn't too far from Apex.

rnhood
04-12-2014, 08:19 PM
You can get some road routes off this (http://ncbikeclub.net) club event listing. Most routes will go through Apex.

bruin11
04-12-2014, 09:11 PM
When I visit my sister who lives in Apex, I've done rides from the Cycling Spoken Here shop in Cary. They seem to have weeknight and weekend rides. I've only done the weekend rides. They usually go out to Jordan Lake. I also follow a few guys on Strava who live or ride in the Apex area to get ride ideas. I'll be there myself the end of April house sitting for my sister.

http://cyclingspokenhere.com/about/csh-weekly-road-rides-pg668.htm

bluecsi
04-14-2014, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. The weather forecast is calling rain, so I chose to bring my road bike. I'll check with CSH about some road routes. Suposed to drop into 50's after the rain, hopefully I can overcome my recent aversion to cooler weather. I'm a hard core weather wimp these days.