PDA

View Full Version : Sealant love...

Ryun
04-12-2014, 09:53 AM
I am not sure the value of tubeless on the road however the sealants that are available now are really a game changer for me as a committed tubular user.
I was out riding today and got a tiny piece of metal stuck in a brand new $$$ tubular. back in the day, it would be suck it up, pull it off and put it in the "to be repaired on a rainy day" pile.

Instead, I just pulled the valve core, pumped in some caffe latex and aired it up. All good to go.

I havent had that many flats in the past year but a $30 jug of sealant and injector have saved me 3 or 4 nice tubular tires since last summer.

Not to turn this into a debate, but with the quality sealants on the market I'm not sure you couldnt make the arguement that tubies are more cost effective than clinchers. if someone is uncomfortable gluing tires, tufo tape even speeds up the process.

tuscanyswe
04-12-2014, 10:26 AM
I just ordered some caffelatex for a tubular thats leaking bit more than desired..

How much do you use? or did you have the espresso shot? Couldent find that at the time so just got a can + injector.

Ryun
04-12-2014, 10:30 AM
I use the big jug and injector.
I fill it to 25-30 mililiters which with air bubbles and spillage, I figure about 20milliliters makes it into the tire.

tuscanyswe
04-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Thanks!

Seems easy enough hope i have the same good result.

Ryun
04-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Just a couple of tips:
I think you can do it without removing the core and use the threaded adapter but I have found taking the core out and directly attaching the tube gives me less blow back and spills.

Also more obvious now but just in case, putting the valve stem at 9-10 o'clock helps. I wasn't thinking and did it with the valve at 6 oclock

bluesea
04-12-2014, 10:46 AM
With caffelatex you continue to ride the tire for the remainder of its life?

Ryun
04-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Yup
I have an fmb that has had sealant for almost a year with no issues

I have heard issues on it clumping if they are stored for long periods of time.
I haven't got to the point of putting sealant in right from the get go instead of waiting til I flat but I may try that.
In my mind I'm convinced adding sealant would change the ride but the reality is I can't tell the difference

bluesea
04-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Does sound like a game changer -- thanks!

oldpotatoe
04-12-2014, 12:56 PM
I just ordered some caffelatex for a tubular thats leaking bit more than desired..

How much do you use? or did you have the espresso shot? Couldent find that at the time so just got a can + injector.

Been using Stan's and now orange seal....into a new tire, tubular. Use about 1/2 bottle of Stan's per tire, same amount with Orange seal, have not had a flat for about a year, worn out 2-3 tires. Conti sprinter and Vittoria Corsa Elite.

tuscanyswe
04-12-2014, 01:13 PM
Been using Stan's and now orange seal....into a new tire, tubular. Use about 1/2 bottle of Stan's per tire, same amount with Orange seal, have not had a flat for about a year, worn out 2-3 tires. Conti sprinter and Vittoria Corsa Elite.

Yeah that is pretty nice. I had some cross tubulars that came with stans when i got them and and they seemed to be impossible to flat which was rather nice.

How big is a bottle of stans?

Anarchist
04-12-2014, 01:14 PM
^this

Put the stuff in when you mount the tire, pump it up and go ride.

Can't remember my last flat.

oldpotatoe
04-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Yeah that is pretty nice. I had some cross tubulars that came with stans when i got them and and they seemed to be impossible to flat which was rather nice.

Teeny one, 3 ounces?

93legendti
04-12-2014, 01:27 PM

2 oz.

"2 ounce "Solution" Convenient, pre-filled for one application in a bicycle tire. Easily fits in a backpack or saddle bag. A must have for the repair kit and perfect for any tubeless tire installation. Refillable with our quart or pint. Remove valve core apply threw stem of any tubeless tire or tubes with removable valve cores. Or dismount tubeless tire and apply directly into tire."

http://www.stanstiresealant.com

Ryun
04-12-2014, 02:01 PM
I checked the markings on my injector and its mL not cc so if my math is right I end up with about 1- 1.5oz per tire 23mm tire

tuscanyswe
04-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Thanks!

jblande
04-12-2014, 05:18 PM
I carry the little stans and a plastic syringe with me on the road.
Wonderful solution.

Steve in SLO
04-12-2014, 06:42 PM
FYI,
ml (milliliter) = cc (cubic centimeter). They are equivalent terms.

29-30 ml = 1 fluid ounce.
Water is 1 g per ml, so with sealants likely being just over water density, you would be adding about 25-30g of weight (and lots of peace of mind) in each tire by injecting 20-25 ml.

Mr. Science rant off.

crownjewelwl
04-12-2014, 07:34 PM
mL = cc

So does that mean you don't carry spare tire when you ride?

mvrider
04-12-2014, 08:53 PM
I checked the markings on my injector and its mL not cc so if my math is right I end up with about 1- 1.5oz per tire 23mm tire

1 mL = 1 cc

One of the magical properties of the metric system!

oldpotatoe
04-13-2014, 06:39 AM
FYI,
ml (milliliter) = cc (cubic centimeter). They are equivalent terms.

29-30 ml = 1 fluid ounce.
Water is 1 g per ml, so with sealants likely being just over water density, you would be adding about 25-30g of weight (and lots of peace of mind) in each tire by injecting 20-25 ml.

Mr. Science rant off.

Or use the TLR or TFR

That Looks about Right, That Feels about Right

chwupper
07-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Reviving this thread:

I'm about to dive into the tubular deep end for the first time. For riding, not racing. I'm super paranoid about flatting, and was thinking about going with the Conti gatorskin sprinter. But if pre-treating with sealant is a good puncture preventative, would I be just as far ahead with a standard Conti sprinter with sealant?

classtimesailer
07-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Gatorskin I think mostly for sidewall strength.
Have used the Stans (1/2 of a little bottle) to fix two flats. It feels like cheating but it was very nice when I was in the middle of nowhere and it worked. I rode along for 60 miles with the comfort of having my only spare safely in the saddle bag.

Davist
07-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Not to derail too much, but can / does anyone use the sealant in clinchers? If not (I haven't seen it discussed) why not? I'm thinking of it, used in mtb days for my weekday wheels..

rwsaunders
07-09-2014, 10:47 PM
2 oz.

"2 ounce "Solution" Convenient, pre-filled for one application in a bicycle tire. Easily fits in a backpack or saddle bag. A must have for the repair kit and perfect for any tubeless tire installation. Refillable with our quart or pint. Remove valve core apply threw stem of any tubeless tire or tubes with removable valve cores. Or dismount tubeless tire and apply directly into tire."

http://www.stanstiresealant.com

+1...I carry one in a jersey pocket.

rwsaunders
07-09-2014, 10:51 PM

spartanKid
07-09-2014, 10:58 PM
Pro tip:

For those extra large holes in tubulars that don't seem to seal with stan's/caffelatex, try adding some glitter (yes, the arts and crafts kind) to the tire along with the sealant. Glitter clumps together with the sealant and helps seal the large holes

Steve in SLO
07-09-2014, 11:26 PM
Pro tip:

For those extra large holes in tubulars that don't seem to seal with stan's/caffelatex, try adding some glitter (yes, the arts and crafts kind) to the tire along with the sealant. Glitter clumps together with the sealant and helps seal the large holes

+1. Works.
Purple works best.

oldpotatoe
07-10-2014, 05:59 AM
I am not sure the value of tubeless on the road however the sealants that are available now are really a game changer for me as a committed tubular user.
I was out riding today and got a tiny piece of metal stuck in a brand new $$$ tubular. back in the day, it would be suck it up, pull it off and put it in the "to be repaired on a rainy day" pile.

Instead, I just pulled the valve core, pumped in some caffe latex and aired it up. All good to go.

I havent had that many flats in the past year but a $30 jug of sealant and injector have saved me 3 or 4 nice tubular tires since last summer.

Not to turn this into a debate, but with the quality sealants on the market I'm not sure you couldnt make the arguement that tubies are more cost effective than clinchers. if someone is uncomfortable gluing tires, tufo tape even speeds up the process.

Great points and a lot of time when it comes to getting tubeless up and ready with goop in it..it is a bigger PITA and messier.

Gluing tubulars has a lot of BS and black magic surrounding it. Many who poo-poo it have never done it or used that messy red tubasti of many years ago..

Today, a solvent brush, wee can of Panaracer tubie glue(my favorite, 'take a trip w/o leaving the farm')...and a start to finish glue job is about 15-20 minutes..pre glue the spare, squirt sealant in( I like Orange seal, previously Stans)..go ride. Wear out the tire way before you puncture..and get the really nice, safe tubular ride.

oldpotatoe
07-10-2014, 06:00 AM
Not to derail too much, but can / does anyone use the sealant in clinchers? If not (I haven't seen it discussed) why not? I'm thinking of it, used in mtb days for my weekday wheels..

Orange seal sealant in all my tubes, whether they be in a tubular or my wet weather clinchers...and yep, glitter helps for the big holes.

El Chaba
07-10-2014, 06:59 AM
Gluing tubulars has a lot of BS and black magic surrounding it. Many who poo-poo it have never done it or used that messy red tubasti of many years ago..

Tubasti was never red.....always white.....The red glues were Clement, Vittoria and D'Allessandro.....

texbike
07-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Is there an issue with these sealants clumping up and ruining a tube in a tubular if the tire sits too long without being used? I have an old Cinelli that I'm about to mount a set of FMBs on and would love to flat-proof the tires with one of the sealants if they don't have an adverse effect on the tires.

Thanks!

Texbike

christian
07-10-2014, 08:01 AM
Send me the Cinelli and the tires and I'll test it out for a year and send it back? :)

Ok, well at least post some pictures.

texbike
07-10-2014, 08:11 AM
Send me the Cinelli and the tires and I'll test it out for a year and send it back? :)

Ok, well at least post some pictures.

Quite the offer there C. I'll have to do that (well, at least the 2nd suggestion...). :)

Texbike

oldpotatoe
07-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Tubasti was never red.....always white.....The red glues were Clement, Vittoria and D'Allessandro.....

Meant clement, long time ago and trying to forget that stuff.

54ny77
07-10-2014, 09:18 AM
does a tubular filled with sealant change the weight and dynamic of the ride quality?

christian
07-10-2014, 09:26 AM
does a tubular filled with sealant change the weight and dynamic of the ride quality?

I'm pretty princess-and-the-pea, but I can't tell a tubular with sealant from a non-loaded one. I was sure I would be able to...

Rob1519
07-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Caffelatex has an app for estimating how much sealant to use. I assume they know more than I about sealant......we will see.

http://www.effettomariposa.eu/apps/apps.html

jumpjube
07-10-2014, 02:43 PM
Latecomer to the sealant brigade, but:

We just don't get many flats on our tubular tires. My wife thought she'd "lost" a nearly unused Vittoria Corsa Evo CX when it got punctured recently by a metal staple.

That puncture sealed right up with application of small bottle of sealant -- 4 or 5 bucks from the LBS. We are SOLD!!!!

FastforaSlowGuy
07-10-2014, 04:09 PM
My new "flat kit" when riding tubulars is a small bottle of Stans, a valve core remover, and a CO2 inflator. If I really blow it out, I'll need a ride, but so far so good.

FastforaSlowGuy
07-10-2014, 04:13 PM

If you leave it in there long enough on a wheel that doesn't see much use (e.g., race wheels over the winter), it can turn into a rock in the tire. I bought some used wheels off a guy who hadn't ridden them in 6 months, and the rear had formed a sizable ball of sealant that made an otherwise excellent Vittoria SC totally unrideable. I think if you give them a spin every now and then, it's not an issue..

oldpotatoe
07-10-2014, 04:19 PM

Nope

texbike
07-10-2014, 04:25 PM
If you leave it in there long enough on a wheel that doesn't see much use (e.g., race wheels over the winter), it can turn into a rock in the tire. I bought some used wheels off a guy who hadn't ridden them in 6 months, and the rear had formed a sizable ball of sealant that made an otherwise excellent Vittoria SC totally unrideable. I think if you give them a spin every now and then, it's not an issue..

Hmmmm, interesting. I was afraid that sealants might cause that kind of issue in a tire that only has occasional use. Bummer.

velotrack
07-13-2014, 11:28 PM
So... I can just shoot a bit into my tire through the valve, spin my wheel around, and it'll be fixed? Is what I'm reading correct, or is there more to it?

Bantamben
07-14-2014, 02:55 AM
Buy bontrager tlr. it's super cheap 2.99$ sells at stores that sell trek. Use half a bottle there small 1-2 pounce bottles. I've been using when I get a flat on tubulars its works awsome tried vittoria pitstop in the past with no luck. I'd only use on a removeable valve stem though.

oldpotatoe
07-14-2014, 06:15 AM
So... I can just shoot a bit into my tire through the valve, spin my wheel around, and it'll be fixed? Is what I'm reading correct, or is there more to it?

yep..nope..been using it sine it came out in my tubulars and clincher tubes..stan's first, then Orange Seal.

crossjunkee
07-14-2014, 03:33 PM
Stupid question time. What about sealant in a tubular with latex tubes, or do most tubulars use latex tubes?

velotrack
07-14-2014, 03:58 PM
yep..nope..been using it sine it came out in my tubulars and clincher tubes..stan's first, then Orange Seal.

Hmm... alright. But there's not much to the technique, besides shooting it into my tubular tire and letting it flow throughout the entire wheel, then pumping it back up?

phutterman
07-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Stupid question time. What about sealant in a tubular with latex tubes, or do most tubulars use latex tubes?

I've heard, at least, that Stan's might not be as good for latex-tubed tires because of the ammonia in it (as a solvent, I presume), and that Caffelatex was safer for them, but I don't know how true that is. I use Caffelatex in both because it's what I have (and I bought it over Stan's for that reason, but again, not sure how actually true that is about Stan's).

Re: what most tubulars have, I think that varies, with nicer ones tending to have latex tubes, and cheaper ones tending toward butyl. (And please, correct me if I'm wrong on that too.)

oldpotatoe
07-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Hmm... alright. But there's not much to the technique, besides shooting it into my tubular tire and letting it flow throughout the entire wheel, then pumping it back up?

Yup, and the ammonia in Stan's is almost not measurable... But none in Orange Seal. Both work fine in butyl or latex.

FastforaSlowGuy
07-15-2014, 09:38 AM
I don't think anyone's posted this yet, a comparison review of several popular sealants by Slowtwitch:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/Sealant_Test_-_Part_2_4155.html

Orange does really, really well. The other take-away is that everything works better with latex tubes. Sorta makes me feel better about running those things in my good clinchers.

oldpotatoe
07-15-2014, 09:46 AM
I don't think anyone's posted this yet, a comparison review of several popular sealants by Slowtwitch:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/Sealant_Test_-_Part_2_4155.html

Orange does really, really well. The other take-away is that everything works better with latex tubes. Sorta makes me feel better about running those things in my good clinchers.

I started with Orange seal for 3 reasons.

In shop, available from distributor on Denver(J&B), free deliver Tuesday and Thursday.
Less glumpy over time
Great valves for tubeless. Better than Mavic or WTB...rim tape also.