PDA

View Full Version : So, are tubeless wheels tubular?

CiclistiCliff
04-11-2014, 11:51 PM
:eek:

And the front tire was just placed in the wheel and had been ridden that way........

http://distilleryimage4.s3.amazonaws.com/127c8c8ec1e111e39f400002c9de0244_8.jpg

ultraman6970
04-12-2014, 12:19 AM
Who in the world did that? Big difference between putting a tubular in a tubular rim than put a tubular in a clincher (or similar) rim.

Who did that?

Answering to the main question, no tubular tires / wheels are not the same than tubeless. In a matter of fact tubulars have tube inside.

CiclistiCliff
04-12-2014, 12:30 AM
Customer came in for a wheel true and I noticed some glue residue on the wheel. I was instantly scared and had to check it............

Yup. Someone decided to glue in the tubulars into tubeless duraacheee wheels.......and the worst of it all, the front was not even glued in and had been ridden :eek::mad::no:

Let's just say I told the customer I would not work on the wheels unless he bought new clinchers and tubes for me to install and told him he should go play the lottery. :cool:

gasman
04-12-2014, 04:38 AM
Just wow.
Who would think that is anything but wrong ?
I am humbled how much bike knowledge there is on this forum but this guy makes me feel intelligent.

shovelhd
04-12-2014, 07:10 AM
That doesn't even look like tubular glue, more like Fast Tack.

Tandem Rider
04-12-2014, 07:28 AM
I have seen that done on a group training ride BID when the lone clincher user either forgot his tube or shredded his tire. He rode easy, got home, bought another tire to replace the donor.

But that is a far cry from what this is. Rubber cement? Tell him not to bother with the lottery, he has already used up all his good luck.

oldpotatoe
04-12-2014, 07:43 AM
Yep, you see some amazing things..der cables in the brakes once, cuz they were lighter- honest. ..

I once saw a bike with a shimano UN series cartridge bottom bracket, the ones with aluminum cups..gent packed the outside of the cup with grease and put loose ball bearings in there. Balls kept falling out so he came into the shop.

Bearings upside down, 10s shifters/ders, 9s cogsets, shimano and Campagnolo mixed, shifters, ders, 700c tires on 27 inch rims..

sparky33
04-12-2014, 09:02 AM
This kind of thing is why I leave plumbing and electric to the pros.

ultraman6970
04-12-2014, 09:06 AM
You forgot the usuals :

FD attached to the rd and wondering why it doesnt work.

The left pedal in the right pedal and they figure it out when the pedals are already 95% in.

Water bottles with loctite.

Superior italian BB cups with loctite.

Headsets bearings upside down.

BB ball bearing cages backwards.

Seatpost binder bolt with the threads busted (but... how?)

Fixed cup in the non drive side, they call you after like 90% of the cup is already in...

Einsteins everywhere...

Anarchist
04-12-2014, 09:46 AM
Yep, you see some amazing things..der cables in the brakes once, cuz they were lighter- honest. ..

I once saw a bike with a shimano UN series cartridge bottom bracket, the ones with aluminum cups..gent packed the outside of the cup with grease and put loose ball bearings in there. Balls kept falling out so he came into the shop.

Bearings upside down, 10s shifters/ders, 9s cogsets, shimano and Campagnolo mixed, shifters, ders, 700c tires on 27 inch rims..

I can't help it, but .....

I can't picture the UN bottom bracket thing that you mention??

oldpotatoe
04-12-2014, 09:58 AM
I can't help it, but .....

I can't picture the UN bottom bracket thing that you mention??

Think shimano cart bearing bottom bracket and the right hand cup, with spindle sticking out, around spindle packed with grease and about 9 loose ball bearings in the grease.

Also saw road crank with Look pedals installed, on the wrong sides, RH pedal crammed into LH crank arm, etc

FlashUNC
04-12-2014, 10:24 AM
That makes me sad.

Pete Mckeon
04-12-2014, 12:01 PM
:mad:

:eek:

And the front tire was just placed in the wheel and had been ridden that way........

http://distilleryimage4.s3.amazonaws.com/127c8c8ec1e111e39f400002c9de0244_8.jpg

rwsaunders
04-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Are you sure that it wasn't a prototype test wheel? :cool:

CiclistiCliff
04-12-2014, 01:44 PM
I've already dealt with a prototype Dura Ace wheel........

I'll post that picture later.

ultraman6970
04-12-2014, 07:33 PM
Did you ever asked the guys that arrived with crap like that at the store which was their profession??

One day to a cardiologist doctor in my master builder's shop I asked the guy if he got his tittle degree in a raffle :D He laugh a lot tho.. "I deserved it" he said :D so he got the comment big time :)

Seen all my life like 10 mechanic engineers and 2 computer engineers both with mba's, putting crap wrong even in their own fields :D Not because the presentation card says PHD, Master and like zillions of things it means the guy can figure it out how thread in a screw works.

Think shimano cart bearing bottom bracket and the right hand cup, with spindle sticking out, around spindle packed with grease and about 9 loose ball bearings in the grease.

Also saw road crank with Look pedals installed, on the wrong sides, RH pedal crammed into LH crank arm, etc

Jason E
04-12-2014, 07:54 PM
I remember years ago a guy who was kinda well off in a community at the beach of second and third homes for his demographic, coming in with a big-box bought kids MTN bike he wanted to give to his son for Easter. He had the rear derailleur protective cage mounted on the non-drive side and the saddle bag mounted on it. He must've looked in the ikea-esque instructions and seen two rails (seat rails) and figured they ere this derailleur guard...

The guy told us he bought it built from the big-box, so the mechanic proceeded to comment and that, the fork being backwards, and one or two other things.

Suddenly this guys pride must've gotten the best of him cause he was raging and eventually blurted out, kinda mean, that he read the instructions and this was how it was supposed to go together and what the hell did this mechanic know.

The mechanic dropped his tool on the mat, told him to enjoy his Easter, and took the bike off without making any repairs.

Everyone got talked down, but people do weird things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Elefantino
04-12-2014, 11:07 PM
I saw the offending tires/glue at the shop today. Reminded me of the Compaq customer service rep who told the caller who didn't know what the power cord was for to re-box the computer and take it back because she was to stupid to own one.

oldpotatoe
04-13-2014, 06:17 AM
Did you ever asked the guys that arrived with crap like that at the store which was their profession??

One day to a cardiologist doctor in my master builder's shop I asked the guy if he got his tittle degree in a raffle :D He laugh a lot tho.. "I deserved it" he said :D so he got the comment big time :)

Seen all my life like 10 mechanic engineers and 2 computer engineers both with mba's, putting crap wrong even in their own fields :D Not because the presentation card says PHD, Master and like zillions of things it means the guy can figure it out how thread in a screw works.

When a bike is really gooned up I politely ask who worked on it..if they say they did, I then ask what they do for a living...when they say, 'I work in IT, or at a bank' or whatever, I tell them I promise not to work on my computer if they promise not to work on their own bike....

That works..keep it good natured, not try to demean the guy and he'll be back when he appreciates the good job done on the bike and sometimes saving his bacon.

ultraman6970
04-13-2014, 09:47 AM
Like the old lady that put the mouse in the floor and pressing it with her foot because she thought was a pedal? :D

I worked in an IT call center and I remember this happening just once... "would you tell me where the "@" upper case is?"...

I saw the offending tires/glue at the shop today. Reminded me of the Compaq customer service rep who told the caller who didn't know what the power cord was for to re-box the computer and take it back because she was to stupid to own one.

8aaron8
04-13-2014, 09:53 AM
We should be thankful for people like this because they keep bike mechanics employed

ultraman6970
04-13-2014, 10:03 AM
Well, there is a reason why he took the bike to the shop i guess, but yes... I would be like that mechanic :D But not before telling him... "You are a lucky man... because Harvard was giving away diplomas in lotto scratches that weekend 20 years ago and looks like you are one of the winners!, BTW they still do apparently because time to time other winners show up too" :D

I remember years ago a guy who was kinda well off in a community at the beach of second and third homes for his demographic, coming in with a big-box bought kids MTN bike he wanted to give to his son for Easter. He had the rear derailleur protective cage mounted on the non-drive side and the saddle bag mounted on it. He must've looked in the ikea-esque instructions and seen two rails (seat rails) and figured they ere this derailleur guard...

The guy told us he bought it built from the big-box, so the mechanic proceeded to comment and that, the fork being backwards, and one or two other things.

Suddenly this guys pride must've gotten the best of him cause he was raging and eventually blurted out, kinda mean, that he read the instructions and this was how it was supposed to go together and what the hell did this mechanic know.

The mechanic dropped his tool on the mat, told him to enjoy his Easter, and took the bike off without making any repairs.

Everyone got talked down, but people do weird things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Elefantino
04-13-2014, 10:12 AM
For the record, these wheels were NOT on a Specialized S-Works Roubaix, causing it ride like a third-world bus.

chuckred
04-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Fact or opinion?