PDA

View Full Version : Tricks for healing skin irritations? (saddle chaffing)

MattTuck
04-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Any tricks you guys have for dealing with skin irritations? Any foods I should be eating to boost healing power? Been trying to keep it clean obviously and using some bag balm and caldesene.

I guess I was over exuberant in ramping up ride length when temps hit 50 degrees.

druptight
04-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Aquaphor healing ointment is the best, to fix a chafed area.

eddief
04-11-2014, 09:38 AM
keep clean with Hibiclens. only used this during the flare up.
wash shorts with an easily rinsed out detergeant = clean shorts.

and now Beljum Budder before each ride and every 20 miles or so if convenient.

Based on this regime or luck, no probs in 3 years.

HenryA
04-11-2014, 09:57 AM
Keep it clean, dry and well aired when not on the bike. Apply Bag Balm before riding. But you already knew this. There's not much else, IMO.

tiretrax
04-11-2014, 10:08 AM
I heard that Tea Tree oil is helpful in healing. I've not tried it.

I used different creams over the years. Assos' oiginal formula was best. Boudreaux's Butt Paste left residue in the chamois, so I switched to Chamois Butter. I've been pleased with the results.

Tony
04-11-2014, 10:26 AM
I heard that Tea Tree oil is helpful in healing. I've not tried it.

I used different creams over the years. Assos' oiginal formula was best. Boudreaux's Butt Paste left residue in the chamois, so I switched to Chamois Butter. I've been pleased with the results.

I also switched to Chamois Butter but missed that tingling sensation. I went to my local natural food store and bought some menthol crystals, $1.00 worth, enough to do 20 tubes. Just melted a couple crystals in a teaspoon of water in the microwave and added it to the chamois butter, perfect!

Ralph
04-11-2014, 10:27 AM
This is my opinion......which differs from most.

The first thing you want to do is avoid chaffing. I haven't found anything better than cheap Petroleum Jelly skin protectant. Lots of it. My wife gets it at the grocery store, about $3 a tube. I like the tube because I think it's cleaner to use than an open jar I'm running my fingers thru. Other stuff that costs a lot more, etc, just sweats away. Problem with petroleum jelly is it harbors bacteria, so it's important you clean well ASAP after a ride. If I'm not riding very far, use nothing.

Then I use various oitments such as Aquapfor (mentioned above, triple ointment, and others similar) after a ride and I clean up. No problems. If you have some atheletes foot issues, that can migrate up when you put on your shorts, and cause you all kinds of issues, sometimes looking like a rash. That takes different treatment.

cinema
04-11-2014, 10:28 AM
Keep it clean, dry and well aired when not on the bike. Apply Bag Balm before riding. But you already knew this. There's not much else, IMO.

this. Vaseline is equally good. Don't use alcohol it's a poor cleanser it just dries everything out. soap and water and vaseline and if you can, avoid doing whatever you were doing until it subsides.

m_sasso
04-11-2014, 10:51 AM
Vaseline has no curative power whatsoever its only advantage is to keep grime and bacteria out of injuries and reduce friction.

shovelhd
04-11-2014, 11:04 AM
For really bad chafing that is sore and irritated, I use triple antibiotic. For prevention I use Udderly Smooth, which I buy at the farm store. It's half the price of chamois creams, doesn't scum up my chamois, and has good moisturizing properties. However if you do a long ride or race in the rain with a lot if road grit on the roads, nothing short of a tub full of Vaseline will prevent some amount of rash.

oldpotatoe
04-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Any tricks you guys have for dealing with skin irritations? Any foods I should be eating to boost healing power? Been trying to keep it clean obviously and using some bag balm and caldesene.

I guess I was over exuberant in ramping up ride length when temps hit 50 degrees.

Shower, clean with alcohol, Dr Naylor. Medicated, heals. Use when ya ride also. Less lanolin than bag balm, oil of clove, smells better. Most of the mentioned stuff, when used when riding, are water based so may be compromised on a long, sweaty, ride.

Joachim
04-11-2014, 11:27 AM
Depends if its bacterial or fungal. If its fungal and you use antibiotic cream its only going to make it worse.

MattTuck
04-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Depends if its bacterial or fungal. If its fungal and you use antibiotic cream its only going to make it worse.

I don't think it is either. It is an abrasion of the skin. Don't think it is infected. Though obviously, while the skin is compromised, infection is more likely. Hence why I want to get it to heal.

rccardr
04-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Superglue. Seriously: thin CA.

Works like a charm, cures immediately, protects the skin while it heals, then it falls off. If you need to spread it over a small area, put the corner of a baggie over your finger first, keeps your digit from being glued to your whatever.

If it's a sore- something that goes beyond the first few layers of epidermis- then see a doctor, stat.

Have also had some experience with a condition that appeared to be fungal in nature but turned out to be folliculitis. Started using hair conditioner on the affected areas after a thorough scrubbing and it eventually went away.

To avoid recurrence, on rides under 35 miles I do nothing. For longer rides, I use either CB or AB ointment. Key is to wear shorts only one time between washings, wash in HOT water & make sure they are well rinsed and dry before using again. I also dry them on a racjk after use & before laundering to avoid mold. If you have an athlete's foot issue, wash your socks in a different load than your shorts.

eippo1
04-11-2014, 03:17 PM
One thing that I would add is that bad chafing can sometimes lead to skin that is susceptible to fungal infections. I had an infection that lasted from October to February. Not fun, but my 3rd prescription finally took care of it.

If you have any chafing that gives off heat and itches, you may want to treat it like a fungal infection for a few days (use cream and then a powder over it). Either way, make sure it stays dry - blow drying after a shower helps and powder powder powder. I use Anti-Monkeybutt and that stuff is awesome.

tlittlefield
04-11-2014, 03:35 PM
Maybe I am special or something (-:

But in 35 years of riding I have never used any kind of chamois cream and have never had a chaffing issue. My average ride is in the 40-60 mile mile range.

eippo1
04-11-2014, 03:57 PM

But in 35 years of riding I have never used any kind of chamois cream and have never had a chaffing issue. My average ride is in the 40-60 mile mile range.

I didn't have any issues for 15 years and then something went wrong. I will not take that chance again.

ultraman6970
04-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Just put some baby butt cream in there. Lower the saddle a little bit too, just 2 or 3 mm.

saf-t
04-11-2014, 05:41 PM

Actually, not that great an idea. Most superglues contain methacrylate compounds (both methyl and ethyl), which can actually cause an allergic dermatitis in some people.

Black Dog
04-11-2014, 05:58 PM

Works like a charm, cures immediately, protects the skin while it heals, then it falls off. If you need to spread it over a small area, put the corner of a baggie over your finger first, keeps your digit from being glued to your whatever.

:eek: I know that superglue is used to seal wounds, and it works. I just had this image of someone applying this to their taint with a mirror and some sort of yoga manoeuvre. All ending with ass cheeks glued together. :)

Black Dog
04-11-2014, 06:03 PM
I found that this works best. We used this on our kids diaper rashes and it was magic. I tried it on the only two saddle sores that I ever had over 25 years of riding and it was amazing.

http://www.ellaandelliot.com/Assets/image/ProductImages/Substance/UpdatedImages/NAPPYRASHOINTMENT_sil_250.jpg

Here (http://www.ellaandelliot.com/Substance-Baby-Nappy-Rash-Ointment-P472.aspx) is a place to buy it.

Louis
04-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Would the answer depend on location?

I'm thinking sit-bone area vs chafing on thighs may have different causes and different solutions.

eddief
04-11-2014, 06:23 PM
between how much hair and how much chafe potential.

eddief
04-11-2014, 06:25 PM
even has marshmallows in it.

all seriousness aside, who knew? wiki says:

Marshmallow probably came first into being as a medicinal substance, since the mucilaginous extracts come from the root of the marshmallow plant, Althaea officinalis, which were used as a remedy for sore throats. Concoctions of other parts of the marshmallow plant had medical purposes as well.[2] The root has been used since Egyptian antiquity in a honey-sweetened confection useful in the treatment of sore throat.[1] The later French version of the recipe, called pāte de guimauve (or "guimauve" for short), included an egg white meringue and was often flavored with rose water.

I found that this works best. We used this on our babies diaper rashes and it was magic. I tried it on the only two saddle sores that I ever had over 25 years of riding and it was amazing.

http://www.ellaandelliot.com/Assets/image/ProductImages/Substance/UpdatedImages/NAPPYRASHOINTMENT_sil_250.jpg

Here (http://www.ellaandelliot.com/Substance-Baby-Nappy-Rash-Ointment-P472.aspx) is a place to buy it.

regularguy412
04-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Ok here's my 2 cents:

Tec-Nu Gel -- available at Walgreens. This is especially helpful if the irritation is related to a possible staph infection. Tho it should be noted that this preparation is NOT much of a lubricant.

For protection/lubrication I've successfully used good ole Desitin Ointment. Another repairative item I've used, tho it doesn't seem like it should have any curative qualities is Neutrogena Hand Cream. It's slightly greasy, but eventually does penetrate the skin. Strangely, it seems to work better at healing than something like Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment.

I like to use the Tec-Nu Gel after showering. Once an application of it has time to absorb into the skin, I follow it up with either the Desitin or the Neutrogena. I try to avoid using anything while ON the bike, as it tends to build up in/on the chamois and is difficult to wash out of the shorts.

Mike in AR:beer:

soulspinner
04-12-2014, 09:52 AM

Your seat tilt is correct

zap
04-12-2014, 03:25 PM
You can try using high quality shea butter. You don't need much so it's a bargain compared to the high prices butt butter.

biker72
04-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Been using this stuff for years.
http://www.toysrus.com/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-3024943reg.jpg

cash05458
04-12-2014, 08:04 PM
Matt...bag balm!...I still think it is the best out there...go to a farm supply store here in Vermont and you can get the giant container for like 37 bucks...I have had mine for years...and have hardly made a dent in it...I could leave it to my great grandchildren if I ever had any and there would still be stuff in there...it never goes bad either as I spoke to the folks at BB about this...I love the stuff, but then again I am a Vermonter...but everyone I know from farmers to riders swear by it...good for tatoos as well...!

jeffreng58
04-13-2014, 01:31 PM
Vapor rub with vasoline. I mix the two together.
It's like opening the floodgates to drown the devil.
My diet consists of 10 to 1 vegetables to meat. Last year it was 3 to 1.
After reading Scott Jurek's book about running ultramarathons, I followed his advice on eating more vegetables to decrease inflammation of the joints.
It worked for me and I notice I don't get as much skin irritation or allergies as I use to. It might be pseudoscience but I rather stick with it then prove myself wrong.
I use my blender a lot to grind up fruits and vegetables. =)