PDA

View Full Version : Campy-compatible chainrings

umami
04-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Anyone have a recommendation for good 3rd party campy-compatible chainrings?

Or should I just sell my remaining kidney and pony up for the real thing?

donevwil
04-10-2014, 07:20 PM
What era and what speed ? I really like TA rings for my Campy 10. Shift well and durable with various levels and costs, paired vs individual, etc. I recently picked up a pair of Praxis rings on clearance and they look very promising, but not cheap.

umami
04-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Whoops. 10-speed UT compact cranks...

I thought Praxis rings were shim/SRAM only?

donevwil
04-10-2014, 07:26 PM
Whoops. 10-speed UT compact cranks...

I thought Praxis rings were shim/SRAM only?

Sorry, they are on a compact crank and were reworked for the offset Campy 5th bolt.

I also have a Stronglight big ring on one crank that work just fine (pins and ramps). Both TA and Stronglight are available from UK retailers (http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/chainrings/chri)for decent prices.

Ralph
04-10-2014, 08:32 PM
I've used TA and Stronglight on my square taper Centaur, Chorus, and Record cranks. The Centaur big ring with 6 pins and it's ramps shifts far better than TA and Stronglight, and the Chorus and Record with 8 pins and assorted ranps are even better. So to me.....there is nothing even close for the square taper cranks compared with OE rings. The non Campy rings I have used seem to be designed to be used with any combination of front rings, thus perfect shifting with none. Campy rings are dedicated to the small ring they are designed to work with. And sure, you can use a 39-52 52 with a 42-52, and it still shift "OK", but not the same as the decicated rings.

Having said this.....The TA rings are superb quality, like bike jewelry. If you are satisfied with their shifting, and many seem to be, they will last a long time.

Never used Praxis. I hear they shift good, for generic rings.

zmudshark
04-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Cheaper to buy a crankset than new rings. I have a couple of Centaur UT 53-39 cranks I would let go.

oldpotatoe
04-11-2014, 07:17 AM
anyone have a recommendation for good 3rd party campy-compatible chainrings?

Or should i just sell my remaining kidney and pony up for the real thing?

TA, great rings, silver and black..