PDA

View Full Version : selling/shipping a nice watch internationally?

jimcav
04-10-2014, 02:56 PM
So in true midlife crisis and fed up with not riding as i used to, I bought my old high school car, a '79 trans am. So now i am paying for it by selling off bike stuff but also my new and never worn bremont mbII watch. Is there anyway to make it "safer" to sell this and ship it overseas. I have a fear of someone receiving it and saying whatever and having all sorts of issues with proving it arrived, proving it was in mint/NIB shape, etc? anyone gone through this? I just happen to have a nice watch but don't know the watch crowd. Previously here i had some good advice on a forum to sell watches, but that is only for used watches, this is brand new and still i the tourneau bag from when i got it?
thanks
jim
jacav2@cox.net

lhuerta
04-10-2014, 03:11 PM
...same protocol as shipping bike overseas: FedEx, with tracking and signature required delivery, and of course, insurance in amount of full retail/replacement value. Not to mention lots of detailed pics of watch and other materials to seller verifying condition, etc. in order to verify that you are shipping genuine article, and clear communication between both of you. The shipping will cost buyer plenty but for a high dollar item like a watch, it should be worth it to them.I have shipped several watches oversees (mostly Europe and Australia) and have never had an issue. Good luck, Lou

Not the Slowest
04-10-2014, 03:13 PM
The rules for selling used or new are the same, except the description of condition is different as new is just that "new". New can be in original box, without Original box etc.

So let's assume you are shipping overseas, ship with a method that will
a) Have the addressee sign for it.
b) Insurance available to cover the amount if lost or damaged in transit. There are limits on the amounts by DHL, FEDEX, UPS and USPS.
c) Tax and duty paid by receiver
d) Money sent to you through a reliable method, Bank wire transfer works best
e) There are always scammers out there, so always take caution.

Good Luck

tuscanyswe
04-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Tbf i dont think anyone here would pay for a high dollar item on a different continent with wire transfer to a private person we have no way of knowing is not a scam themselves..

Atleast i wouldent.

sixgears
04-10-2014, 03:20 PM
I don't know where the watch is headed but I would stay clear of transactions originating in Asia or Eastern Europe.

You can gauge the watch crowd by using such forums as Timezone or WatchUSeek.

veggieburger
04-10-2014, 03:45 PM
...same protocol as shipping bike overseas: FedEx, with tracking and signature required delivery, and of course, insurance in amount of full retail/replacement value. Not to mention lots of detailed pics of watch and other materials to seller verifying condition, etc. in order to verify that you are shipping genuine article, and clear communication between both of you. The shipping will cost buyer plenty but for a high dollar item like a watch, it should be worth it to them.I have shipped several watches oversees (mostly Europe and Australia) and have never had an issue. Good luck, Lou

Yep.

93legendti
04-10-2014, 04:10 PM
eBay global shipping is the ticket...I have used to to sell phones overseas.

Saffs
04-10-2014, 04:39 PM
So in true midlife crisis and fed up with not riding as i used to, I bought my old high school car, a '79 trans am. So now i am paying for it by selling off bike stuff but also my new and never worn bremont mbII watch. Is there anyway to make it "safer" to sell this and ship it overseas. I have a fear of someone receiving it and saying whatever and having all sorts of issues with proving it arrived, proving it was in mint/NIB shape, etc? anyone gone through this? I just happen to have a nice watch but don't know the watch crowd. Previously here i had some good advice on a forum to sell watches, but that is only for used watches, this is brand new and still i the tourneau bag from when i got it?
thanks
jim
jacav2@cox.net

I've done quite a lot of this. Ebay sale or forums (e.g., Timezone?) for your sale? The only Country watch sellers are really nervous of is Italy and always defer to FedEx. I use USPS Priority International in most cases, or Priority Express is the buyer of course pays for it. I've shipped to Asia quite a lot, never an issue ever thankfully. I always insure full value and get signed for - USPS has much better tracking these day. FedEx is great too but more expensive. Only used that for Italy. FedEx insurance is thought to be inadequate and USPS better although I've only used the latter domestically where after about 4 months USPS paid fully for a damaged Rolex, no arguments - this was poorly packed and shipped to me.

tiretrax
04-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Some of my inlaws lived abroad. They always had things delivered FedEx, but that didn't stop theft from occuring (usually in customs).

Harry Winston sent the Hope Diamond to the Smithsonian using USPS registered mail, FWIW.

wallymann
04-10-2014, 05:26 PM
...registered/insured airmail. IMO it's the most secure with locked-access, positive control, and signed-for transfers at all points in-transit.

http://brown-snout.com/horology/misc/passel_of_chronos.jpg

jimcav
04-10-2014, 11:02 PM
...registered/insured airmail. IMO it's the most secure with locked-access, positive control, and signed-for transfers at all points in-transit.

http://brown-snout.com/horology/misc/passel_of_chronos.jpg

Is that USPS registered airmail? I tried timezone but I only saw classifieds for used watches. I plan on ebay just was a little concerned as eBay to side with buyers but it sounds like most folks have has no horror stories which is reassuring

Thanks!
Jim

Louis
04-10-2014, 11:34 PM
I tried timezone but I only saw classifieds for used watches.

I've never used that particular site, but couldn't you just advertise it as "New" or nearly new, or NOS, or whatever would be appropriate? Just like here, most of the bike stuff sold may be used, but that wouldn't prevent anyone from listing and describing something as NOS.

jlwdm
04-11-2014, 06:48 AM
Time Zone does not allow you to sell this watch as it is new. Watchuseek does and is a much more active site.

Jeff

wallymann
04-11-2014, 10:50 AM
correct: us-postal registered airmail.

Is that USPS registered airmail?

wallymann
04-11-2014, 10:52 AM
plenty of people sell watches that have never actually been worn out in the world. new watches may be taken out of the packaging, which means they're not technically new and can thus be listed on TZ.

they're listed asTime Zone does not allow you to sell this watch as it is new. Watchuseek does and is a much more active site.

Jeff

04-11-2014, 01:49 PM
To second the comment above, USPS Registered Mail is the best way to ship. You can get up to $25K insurance at low rates, and the package is signed in and out by a postal worker the whole way. If it's lost or stolen en-route, you have good protection and they can show you exactly where it's been.

I don't like shipping by Fedex because although it's marginally safer than postal service, if you do have to file a claim they can be real horses' d***ks. Nothing nicer to describe them. They jerk you around and will fight you with in-house lawyers for a long time before paying. Usually they want you to take a much lower settlement and walk away. I'm happy shipping bikes and other newer items that way, but premium watches or collectible cameras (both of which I ship) are exactly what Fedex wants to dispute every time.

USPS Registered Mail requires a signature at the receiving end. You can require that it be received by the person you're actually doing the transaction with, but often it'll just be signed into an apartment building office, corporate loading dock, or whatever. I will find key watch shops or jewelers (or high-end camera shops for cameras) and sometimes ship to the shop and ask them to release the item to someone with the right ID. You have to be polite but they do understand the issue and they like to see you bring your buyer into their store. You can also ship to locations such as an American Express office and have someone come and show ID and pick it up there in person. Again, just a way to avoid any complications.

Whatever you do, take massive numbers of photos, photographed on a current day's newspaper with the masthead showing so even an idiot knows the photos are current. If it comes back with a bezel swapped out or a clasp traded out (that's happened to me) you can catch it and refuse to refund. It becomes a p*ssing content but at least you're armed with evidence. In the end, I prefer not to deal overseas, period. There are plenty of buyers for anything in the US and the days of Japanese or Croatian buyers paying far more than Americans is over.

malcolm
04-11-2014, 02:28 PM
It's a nice watch. If you don't mind my asking what do you want for it?

jlwdm
04-11-2014, 09:33 PM
plenty of people sell watches that have never actually been worn out in the world. new watches may be taken out of the packaging, which means they're not technically new and can thus be listed on TZ.

they're listed as

Not supposed to.

Jeff