PDA

View Full Version : Paypal asked for full name and country of recipient of funds

DRZRM
04-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Just had something happen for the first time, I went to make a payment for a purchase off the forum (see, not really OT) and as soon as I entered the email address, it first asked for the country of the recipient (in the US) and then requested his/her full name. This was before either amount (so not only was it not a large payment, but they didn't even know that) nor had I selected personal/gift payment.

Did I miss a memo about new security settings on PayPal? It seems strange to have to ask for the seller's full name, though we are both pretty regular visitors around here.

tuscanyswe
04-10-2014, 01:00 PM
i got new pp agreement info in mail yday. could be related but who reeds those things...

christian
04-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Anti-money laundering rules?

OFAC sanction screening?

flyhippy
04-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Sounds to me like the email address you are trying to paypal to is not a registered paypal email address. So they want the right name to include in the mail they send them to say, hey Frank James, you have $50.00 waiting for you in paypal - register now

brockd15
04-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Sounds to me like the email address you are trying to paypal to is not a registered paypal email address. So they want the right name to include in the mail they send them to say, hey Frank James, you have $50.00 waiting for you in paypal - register now

Seems to make sense, but I once (recently) tried to make a payment to someone with an unregistered email address and it wouldn't let me, said the person wasn't registered.

flyhippy
04-10-2014, 02:47 PM
I just tried paypaling to one of my other email addresses, which isn't registered. After typing it in, it asked for country. I selected country, it asked for their full name.

You are attempting to paypal to an unregistered email address, thats all.

flyhippy
04-10-2014, 02:47 PM
Well - I mean, of course the NSA is also watching you

johnny_flapjack
04-10-2014, 04:07 PM
I was going to guess FATCA - Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act. Not sure if these transactions fall under those rules, but would not be shocked to learn that they do.

DRZRM
04-10-2014, 04:08 PM
I think it may have just been a typo in the sellers address, which means it was an unregistered address, and I'm glad I didn't send it any money.

Thanks PayPal.

wooly
04-10-2014, 04:11 PM
Zach was purchasing some tires from me. i forgot to mention that I am from Kenya and represent a wealthy individual who wants to give him $5M for the price of the two tires that he was buying :eek:.

No seriously, I've had a paypal account for years. Recently changed my email address in their system and ever since it's been jacked up. I tried emailing them today so inquire why....

DRZRM
04-10-2014, 04:49 PM
I'm still waiting for that deposit...should I be concerned that my balance just went to zero, or is that just the bank making room for all that money??

Zach was purchasing some tires from me. i forgot to mention that I am from Kenya and represent a wealthy individual who wants to give him $5M for the price of the two tires that he was buying :eek:.

No seriously, I've had a paypal account for years. Recently changed my email address in their system and ever since it's been jacked up. I tried emailing them today so inquire why....

pbarry
04-10-2014, 06:05 PM
PP started doing this with "personal/gift" payments recently.

Jexbrah
04-10-2014, 11:14 PM
PP started doing this with "personal/gift" payments recently.

Hmm, that could get annoying...