PDA

View Full Version : Fixie / Single Speed - Surly Singulator

Ozz
03-11-2004, 11:28 AM
Anybody have experience with these?

I am leaning towards turning my old Allez into a fixie...

Those with experience doing this, a parts needed list would be helpful!

Thanks.

flydhest
03-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Ozz,

I'm under the impression that the singulator (although this may only be for older ones) doesn't develop enough tension to be able to use it to make a fixie. For a single speed, it should be no problem, I know of people just using old derailleurs the same way, but to get enough tension such that you can backpedal might be beyond the scope of the thing.

Anybody with direct experience?

One thought is the White Industries eccentric hub. The hub is eccentric and so allows you to tension the chain that way. It does, of course, require a new wheel build, but if you have an old wheel that you were going to use, you're out the price of the hub (somewhere around $130, I believe), new spokes and nipples (not so much) and the build--about $30 if you can't do it yourself. A shop might throw in the spokes or the build if you buy the hub from them.

bpm
03-11-2004, 11:54 AM
I have a fixed gear that I made from an old Cannondale 2.8 frame. After a lot of trial and error I was able to come up with a gear combination that fit the frame that was suitable for the terrain I ride. The problem is that as the chain wore (stretched) it became too loose.

Although I've never tried it, I've also heard that you can't use a chain tensioner on a fixed gear. I've even heard a few horror stories of people crashing as the tensioner failed and the chain caught in the spokes.

I recently switched to the White Industries eccentric hub and it is great. The bearings are super smooth, the finish on the hub is mirrorlike and it works like a dream. You can get the hub in almost any width you need. It's a bit pricey, but it's worth it in my opinion.

Ozz
03-11-2004, 12:48 PM
Thanks guys...sounds like I might be better off just looking for an inexpensive frame suitable as a fixie.

Time to cruise ebay...

I suppose I could call my old bike as set up a single speed, if I just don't shift???