PDA

View Full Version : Chris King Cielo bikes

gregblow
04-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Hi guys, anyone have any thoughts or experiences with these frames? They look interesting.

John H.
04-09-2014, 08:19 PM
I think they look nice but for the same $ you could get any number of nice custom frames.

msl819
04-09-2014, 08:32 PM
I think they look nice but for the same $ you could get any number of nice custom frames.

John is right. I have a Cielo MTB and am a huge fan of all things Chris King. Given that, if they get your mojo working I seriously doubt you will be disappointed but there are many options at that price point and I would probably chose something other. Of course I would want it dressed in King bits.

Drewmanchew
04-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Excellent attention to detail. The paint is top notch. Cant go wrong. Their maybe cheaper frames but the quality is there to justify the price.

Rbrigman
04-16-2014, 11:11 AM
Chris King...what else do you need to know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raygunner
04-16-2014, 11:17 AM
Love their matching stem option. That was the one thing missing with their previous builds was a matching stem.

sparky33
04-16-2014, 11:26 AM

I thought that at first, but I understand the value now that I had a chance to inspect a few Cielo frames at my LBS recently.
The welds are tidy, the paint is flawless and the bits of shiny stainless all over are gorgeous. Quality and details surpass what you might get for a 2K welded custom.

Does anyone else think the seamless fork crown is the coolest thing ever?

BirkWinn
04-16-2014, 11:52 AM
I haven't seen one in the flesh but What I have seen in pictures and on YouTube they look extremely beautiful and classic. Chris King drips with quality

sean.allan.t
04-16-2014, 02:57 PM
I had one for a time. It was immaculate and rode great. I'd recommend them, though they are pricey. I've since gone for a Lemond Poprad ...OX Platinum tubing and light ...good gravel bike and a lot less money than the Cielo. I used to ride on Camino Cielo in Santa Barbara, so i just had to have one, knowing Mr. King named the brand after that road. In the end I just couldn't justify spending so much on it. Nice though! Check out the photo. -Sean

Liv2RideHard
04-17-2014, 07:20 AM
Why not reach out to them directly and ask away? We met some of the folks behind the bikes at NAHBS and they were really great and offered up lots of info. The conversation you have with them should help make up your mind. They know everything there is to know about their bikes. Very good bunch of folks.

evo111@comcast.net
04-17-2014, 01:50 PM
LBS had a 2012/2013 model in stock that was ivory in color. It was a very pretty frame with great construction and quality. A gorgeous frame.

carlineng
04-17-2014, 02:43 PM
I believe one of the Sycips (Jay?) is working with Chris King for the Cielo bikes, so there's plenty of framebuilding expertise that comes with the brand.

Tommy Mac
04-17-2014, 03:42 PM
I believe one of the Sycips (Jay?) is working with Chris King for the Cielo bikes, so there's plenty of framebuilding expertise that comes with the brand.

True, but Jeremy Sycip was the brother holding the torch (and still is). Jay was mostly the business-side. That said, the Cielos look terrific to me.

Stan Lee
04-19-2014, 12:27 PM
I just purchased a Sportif Classic and plan to build it this summer. What sold me was I've ridden the hubs for the last 6 years and used the headset for the last 25 and have no complaints about either. I'm sure you can find custom frames for the same price but your not going to find a builder who machines their own dropouts and crowns for anywhere close to that amount.

This is a nice write up on the process.

http://bikeportland.org/2013/11/01/the-making-of-a-cielo-a-bike-thats-purely-portland-94503

svelocity
07-31-2014, 07:32 PM
I'm sure I missed it but does anyone know what kind of steel is CK making these Cielo's out of, e.g., Reynolds, Columbus, etc? Thanks

ORMojo
07-31-2014, 10:24 PM
I'm sure I missed it but does anyone know what kind of steel is CK making these Cielo's out of, e.g., Reynolds, Columbus, etc? Thanks

Which model?

I don't remember all of them off the top of my head, but last I knew:

Road Racer = Columbus Life
Sportif Racer SE = KVA Stainless
Cielo Cross = True Temper OX Platinum
and I think the 29er is also TT OX Platinum

ORMojo
07-31-2014, 10:36 PM
Maybe this will help.

I've posted about several recent visits to Crow's Feet Commons in Bend. They have several top-end bikes/frames in the shop at any given time, and access to many more. They know their stuff. While talking with them on one of my recent visits about a Pegoretti, an Ahearne, a DeSalvo, a Zanconato, and a couple of Pereiras (not to mention several random Moots), several of the shop's employees confided and agreed that the Cielo was the best ride. Period. (Yes, they emphasized "the best" that much.) I was a bit skeptical . . . I pushed back a bit . . . they didn't budge in their opinion.

Cameron
07-31-2014, 11:37 PM
I have one - a cross classic to be specific. I think the price is very fair if not generous considering it's features. I will say a big deciding factor for me too was delivery time. I had a bike stolen and was itching to get it replaced in a timely fashion. My first choice for replacement was Icarus but he was months out (not to mention being a splurge price wise). My second choice was a Geekhouse Mudville. Great price for custom geo, cool bike but also longer wait time.

Contacted CK about a frame. Quick, informative responses and best of all, MAX 60 day wait time. I put my order in and 30 dYs later got a call saying come pick it up!

I have not regretted my choice for 1 second.

sparky33
08-01-2014, 07:27 AM
I have one - a cross classic to be specific. I think the price is very fair if not generous considering it's features. I will say a big deciding factor for me too was delivery time. I had a bike stolen and was itching to get it replaced in a timely fashion. My first choice for replacement was Icarus but he was months out (not to mention being a splurge price wise). My second choice was a Geekhouse Mudville. Great price for custom geo, cool bike but also longer wait time.

Contacted CK about a frame. Quick, informative responses and best of all, MAX 60 day wait time. I put my order in and 30 dYs later got a call saying come pick it up!

I have not regretted my choice for 1 second.

This post would be even better with a picture!

krismac23
08-01-2014, 08:48 AM

I actually asked them that question at NAHBS this year about the road racer frame. They she's said it was a Cumbria bend custom butted to their spec. They wouldn't share more details but it does give it the special ride. I actually own a Cielo road race. Just got it the past month or so and love it. Couldn't be happier.

JAGI410
08-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Getting dangerously tempted to do a stable sell off and get a Sportif Classic. Gorgeous bikes!

krismac23
08-01-2014, 10:13 AM
getting dangerously tempted to do a stable sell off and get a sportif classic. Gorgeous bikes!

do it

Cameron
08-01-2014, 10:13 AM
This post would be even better with a picture!

:cool:

http://photos-a.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpa1/10523515_1520590931493392_818881021_n.jpg

More pics/info here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=150657

Cameron
08-01-2014, 10:34 AM
Getting dangerously tempted to do a stable sell off and get a Sportif Classic. Gorgeous bikes!

do it

Totally agreed... Doooo iiiiitttt!

Here's some pics of Sportif Classics to make up your mind:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3-HfhU-5X1M/U9uzZ-yRYhI/AAAAAAAAGJ4/ie7YlC_SA-Q/s800/Blue%2520Lug%2520Sportif.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--LB31H-clpQ/U9uzZ3r7gpI/AAAAAAAAGJ8/M2openYs0ww/s800/Circles%2520Sportif.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-JnVgOXFwBaE/U9uzZ0MOI2I/AAAAAAAAGJ0/uyMnn0YY7Qo/s800/Sportiff%2520Classic.JPG

chiasticon
08-01-2014, 11:07 AM
my understanding is that cielo's aren't available with custom geometry. so while they may be very similar to other steel builds, and certainly competitive in most areas, if you have special needs fit-wise, you may not be able to achieve them with a cielo. or at least not without doing the same things you'd do on a regular production bike.

JAGI410
08-01-2014, 11:07 AM
The green one with green fenders on their website is the most tempting/convincing pic I've seen. It's rack mounts away from perfection.

svelocity
08-01-2014, 11:09 AM
YES!

Thanks for posting your pictures folks!

beeatnik
08-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Maybe this will help.

(not to mention several random Moots), several of the shop's employees confided and agreed that the Cielo was the best ride. Period. (Yes, they emphasized "the best" that much.) I was a bit skeptical . . . I pushed back a bit . . . they didn't budge in their opinion.

I'm inclined to agree.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8533/8694680040_f3477c1e60_c.jpg

Cameron
08-01-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm inclined to agree.

Me too! Absolutely love mine and just noticed you put your Cielo frame for sale. I love love love the color combo on yours. The gray/blue looks wonderful.

Is it weird that I'm severely tempted to buy yours and have a 2nd Cielo? It sure would look good in the stable next to my current one. Plus I already have a nice Dura Ace 7800 group I've been slowly collecting that would compliment it well.... Hmm, it IS just my size too...

beeatnik
08-01-2014, 01:34 PM
Me too! Absolutely love mine and just noticed you put your Cielo frame for sale. I love love love the color combo on yours. The gray/blue looks wonderful.

Is it weird that I'm severely tempted to buy yours and have a 2nd Cielo? It sure would look good in the stable next to my current one. Plus I already have a nice Dura Ace 7800 group I've been slowly collecting that would compliment it well.... Hmm, it IS just my size too...

Not weird at all. My only regret in picking up a Moots Psychlo-X is that I forgot about the Cielo Cross Racer, which was actually my first choice.

http://theradavist.com/2014/01/guest-gallery-seans-cielo-cross-racer-by-jesse-carmody/#1

eBAUMANN
08-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Not weird at all. My only regret in picking up a Moots Psychlo-X is that I forgot about the Cielo Cross Racer, which was actually my first choice.

http://theradavist.com/2014/01/guest-gallery-seans-cielo-cross-racer-by-jesse-carmody/#1

my only beef with the cielo cx racers is their tiny head tube length (relative to frame size)…that bike on the radavist has 30mm of spacers under the stem (http://cdn.theradavist.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/MG_5415.jpg)…and check out joachim parbo's bike:

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2013/11/08/1383939282602-l9a3xu8bd5ow-700-80.jpg

thats 60mm AND a 6* positive rise on the stem :eek: --- hard to believe he didnt get sent the wrong size by accident…or SOMETHING, 60mm is ridiculous IMO.

otherwise, awesome looking bikes, would be very interested to test ride one day!

beeatnik
08-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Yikes, I thought the spacers were a cross thing. But if the racer came with BSA, would sell my Moots in the proverbial heartbeat.

eBAUMANN
08-01-2014, 02:08 PM
Yikes, I thought the spacers were a cross thing. But if the racer came with BSA, would sell my Moots in the proverbial heartbeat.

what do you mean by a "cross thing?"

some folks do like to size down on cx bikes but still…

overall my cx bikes have head tubes that are around 15mm shorter than my road bikes (in a perfect world), +/- depending on the headset to be installed (inset 7's for example have a lower stack than "standard" 1-1/8 headsets).

if i were to buy a cielo cx racer based on my correct TT length, I would see a 40-45mm reduction in head tube size compared to my ideal road geometry…that is A LOT and a total deal breaker for me.

also the $2500 price tag…which is WELL above a number of extremely competent custom builders I can think of...

beeatnik
08-01-2014, 02:12 PM

oh, just meant cos of the shorter head tubes due to the now less common high BBs and the use of steerer mounted front cable hanger

Cameron
08-01-2014, 02:25 PM

You know -- I love the cross racer too but the classic series is just so much more... classic. As mentioned above, the short head tube relative to the frame size looks odd to me which to my eye is also accentuated by the oversize head tube. Obviously those features are part of the design and contribute to the overall design and intention of the bike. Just my opinion.

To me the Cielo Cross Classic and Sportif Classic are just right -- nice proportions, details, etc. Paired up with other classic CK components (headsets/bottom brackets/hubs) they just look like a correct "package."

So uh, any interest in selling the frame w/ the headset but without the crankset?

beeatnik
08-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Cameron, sent you a PM.

Stan Lee
08-08-2014, 08:41 AM
I just finished my Sportif Classic and it's been a blast. There is a stack under the stem but I don't mind, I plan to throw one of their stems on it once they are available.

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt136/mjanike/Bikes/Cielo/P1100587_zpsf33194ed.jpg (http://s605.photobucket.com/user/mjanike/media/Bikes/Cielo/P1100587_zpsf33194ed.jpg.html)

thirdgenbird
08-08-2014, 08:42 AM
That's a classy bike.

What brakes are those?

Are you thinking a paint to match stem?

Stan Lee
08-08-2014, 09:14 AM
Thanks- they are the TRP-RG957s and they work great.
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt136/mjanike/Bikes/Cielo/P1100604_zpsc9a24c6b.jpg (http://s605.photobucket.com/user/mjanike/media/Bikes/Cielo/P1100604_zpsc9a24c6b.jpg.html)

thirdgenbird
08-08-2014, 12:17 PM
Nice looking brakes too.

I keep coming back to that one. I love the color and the silver/black mix. A paint to match stem and ti spacers would be perfection.

RacerJRP
08-08-2014, 01:50 PM

some folks do like to size down on cx bikes but still…

overall my cx bikes have head tubes that are around 15mm shorter than my road bikes (in a perfect world), +/- depending on the headset to be installed (inset 7's for example have a lower stack than "standard" 1-1/8 headsets).

if i were to buy a cielo cx racer based on my correct TT length, I would see a 40-45mm reduction in head tube size compared to my ideal road geometry…that is A LOT and a total deal breaker for me.

also the $2500 price tag…which is WELL above a number of extremely competent custom builders I can think of...

Keep in mind that for $2495 you are getting a King headset and an ENVE fork. Most builder prices are for frame only.

I do agree you can get some darn nice stuff for the same or maybe a little less.

Stan Lee
08-08-2014, 05:24 PM
Keep in mind that for $2495 you are getting a King headset and an ENVE fork. Most builder prices are for frame only.

Plus the frame dropouts, the headtube rings, rear brake anchor insert, seatstay plugs, the fork crown and dropouts are all made in shop which is cool, your not going to see that from any other builder at that price. I EP purchased the frame, fork, headset, BB and wheels which was a killer deal. Again, I have no complaints, quality stuff and super comfortable to ride.

The way it's set up now I would run a 105, -6 classic stem (like the black one below) without any spacers. I think I would just get the stem painted to match with a black faceplate (which is also machined in shop).

thirdgenbird
08-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Great plan.

velotrack
08-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Who bought Al's cielo? Waiting on pics. That one up there a few posts ago is pretty... Fancy brakes. The long reach brake market is small, I must say.