PDA

View Full Version : Baum paint guide

jpw
04-09-2014, 07:01 AM
http://www.eaven-cycles.com/images/Eaven-Cycles/Downloads/Baum%20Designs%202014.pdf

a nicely put together guide. makes me want a Baum.

MattTuck
04-09-2014, 09:34 AM
I have mixed feelings about their paint philosophy. Yeah, they look good. But this "our way or the highway", "your bike may say something about you, but it most definitely says something about us" mindset is borderline presumptuous. You're building and painting bikes... get over yourself. On the other hand, their bikes do look great, so they've definitely got the design skills to make some fantastic looking bikes. The only thing is, they've got a definite design aesthetic, and if you don't like it, you're out of luck.

Like I said, mixed feelings.

christian
04-09-2014, 09:50 AM
All good brands have that. Baum is just a bit overly explicit about it.

Think about Hampsten. Every Hampsten looks like a Hampsten. Steve just doesn't crow about it so very much.

phcollard
04-09-2014, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the link. I can't wait to steal ideas for my next repaint (not Baum)!

Joachim
04-09-2014, 10:11 AM
I have mixed feelings about their paint philosophy. Yeah, they look good. But this "our way or the highway", "your bike may say something about you, but it most definitely says something about us" mindset is borderline presumptuous. You're building and painting bikes... get over yourself. On the other hand, their bikes do look great, so they've definitely got the design skills to make some fantastic looking bikes. The only thing is, they've got a definite design aesthetic, and if you don't like it, you're out of luck.

Ask Dave Kirk if he would be ok with one of his frames being painted mustard yellow with purple polka dots. So I agree with Christian. Every builders has it to some degree, although I think IF will do mustard yellow with purple polka dots.

sandyrs
04-09-2014, 10:30 AM

I don't think they have to get over themselves until they stop selling bikes, hah.

christian
04-09-2014, 10:32 AM
if you don't like it, you're out of luck.

I don't like it, but I don't think I'm out of luck. Lots of builders beyond Baum out there!

I think IF will do mustard yellow with purple polka dots.Standard scheme for them, I think.

MattTuck
04-09-2014, 10:34 AM

Think about Hampsten. Every Hampsten looks like a Hampsten. Steve just doesn't crow about it so very much.

Ask Dave Kirk if he would be ok with one of his frames being painted mustard yellow with purple polka dots. So I agree with Christian. Every builders has it to some degree, although I think IF will do mustard yellow with purple polka dots.

I don't think they have to get over themselves until they stop selling bikes, hah.

I don't like it, but I don't think I'm out of luck. Lots of builders beyond Baum out there!

Standard scheme for them, I think.

Point(s) taken. :bike:

jpw
04-09-2014, 11:15 AM

Perhaps somewhere in Saratoga Springs should be offered painting workshops for beginners, with PPG painting booths hired out by the frame. This is the coming age of ultimate personalization.

aaronf
04-09-2014, 10:41 PM

Sachs comes to mind here too. Can always quickly ID a Sachs before you can actually read the letters in the logo.

rustychisel
04-09-2014, 11:10 PM
Sachs comes to mind here too. Can always quickly ID a Sachs before you can actually read the letters in the logo.

I've only ever seen one Sachs in the flesh, but I heard it grumbling before I saw it...