PDA

View Full Version : Hell On Wheels - Bday Present

keno
02-08-2006, 06:49 AM
Last night I watched Hell On Wheels, an excellent documentary on the 2003 TdF focusing on T-Mobile and Erik Zabel and Rolf Aldag, in particular. I thought it very powerful and moving, particularly as to Zabel and, oddly, his masseur. Some of the descent footage is not only impressive but somewhat unnerving. I highly recommend the DVD (in German, mostly, with subtitles). It vividly shows many of the realitities, some very sobering, of the TdF and, I'm sure, many other top level stage races. You wannabes, if you wannabe one of them guys be sure to go to suffering class and do your homework, as well.

**** (That would be four stars)

keno

Incidentally, feel free to send me additional birthday gifts if you are so moved.

CT Rider
02-08-2006, 07:00 AM
Incidentally, feel free to send me additional birthday gifts if you are so moved.

Happy Birthday, Sorry but I couldn't afford the present (or the card)! Seriously, Happy Birthday Keno!

zeroking17
02-08-2006, 11:26 AM
I thought it very powerful and moving, particularly as to Zabel and, oddly, his masseur.

I agree with that! I'm thinking of the scene in which the masseur wipes down Zabel's face after a race with all the care and tenderness of a parent cleaning a child's face. It's a kind of physical intimacy between males so often accepted--even normalized--in physical sports, while at the same time seen as "otherness" outside the arena.

Another memorable scene takes place on the evening that Aldag improbably holds the polka-dot jersey after an early TdF stage. He's lying on the bed, holding the jersey in his hands, and musing to no one in particular that each polka dot on the jersey probably represents one year subtracted from his lifespan. I recently read a story in a German magazine about Aldag's retirement from pro cycling. The accompanying close-up photo of his face was revealing:He looks aged beyond his years, like one of the old-time "hard men" of cycling.

oldguy00
02-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Saw it at a film festival several months ago, really great. My favorite Zabel quote:
"Why the **** didn't I become a surfer"...

bironi
02-08-2006, 02:08 PM
My two favorite scenes:

When Zabel held up the elevation profile for the toughest day, mocking it as ridiculous

When Zabel tried to explain that he would always be indebted to Aldag for his sacrifices

The documentary does a good job capturing the Tour beyond the race.