PDA

View Full Version : OT: Congrats CT Huskies

ctcyclistbob
04-07-2014, 10:41 PM
What an unbelievable run by the Huskies through the tournament. They beat some great, great teams, including tonight against Kentucky.

Seeding doesn't always mean a whole lot in this tournament.

oldpotatoe
04-08-2014, 06:37 AM
What an unbelievable run by the Huskies through the tournament. They beat some great, great teams, including tonight against Kentucky.

And now, Back to Class!!!

witcombusa
04-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Much to do about nothing...

Show me a 25 cent reduction in gas or fuel oil prices and I'll get excited.

WAY, WAY to much focus on inconsequential sport in this country

oldpotatoe
04-08-2014, 09:11 AM
Deleted

bobswire
04-08-2014, 10:15 AM

Hello, this is a forum dedicated to bike cycles not PBS or Wall Street journal.
Though I agree with your sentiment about inconsequential sport and or celebrity in this country this is not the best venue to decry it. The OP was only giving props to his team.

witcombusa
04-08-2014, 11:30 AM
OK, back on (off) topic.

So what does rioting, regardless if your team wins or looses have to do with
having had a great season?

http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2014/04/08/championship-riots-lead-to-arrests/

cfox
04-08-2014, 12:15 PM
And now, Back to Class!!!

it's funny, despite UConn's academic "issues" Napier, and even more so his predecessor Kemba Walker, were pretty decent students.

OK, back on (off) topic.

So what does rioting, regardless if your team wins or looses have to do with
having had a great season?

http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2014/04/08/championship-riots-lead-to-arrests/

It has to do with the fact that there a lot of idiots in the world, and the sample size is large when looking at the 18-22 yr old age bracket. Is that news?

and the "this country" thing...have you ever seen what happens when a futbol nation loses in the world cup?

druptight
04-08-2014, 12:36 PM
HEY! Get off my lawn!

malcolm
04-08-2014, 12:40 PM

Dude are you just a bastion of negativity? It seems you never have much positive to say. Just an observation.

T.J.
04-08-2014, 12:51 PM

So it's better to set around focus on fuel prices WAY WAY to much?

MadRocketSci
04-08-2014, 01:10 PM

Sports are drama for guys...an escape. Out of all of the big events, the NCAA hoops tourney has the most real emotion, high and low, that you'll see on TV, whether justified in your mind or not. I'd WAAAY rather watch that than some pro-league game, esp ML baseball, where it's so routine it feels like it doesn't really matter who won at all.

ceewho
04-08-2014, 01:34 PM
I'm just going to ignore all the haters and take time to celebrate too.

How impressed are you with Kevin Ollie? Two years after taking over as head coach, and he puts together this sweet run to a championship. Not only is he well respected by his players, but it seems like everyone who played in the NBA with him has great things to say. He took a team with way less talent and athleticism and guided them to victory.

I'm not forgetting Shabazz who was untouchable this whole tournament. Of course the spectacular guard play over the past 4 years at UConn is no coincidence with Ollie on the staff at that point.

ColonelJLloyd
04-08-2014, 01:36 PM

What a petty, hypocritical wet blanket you are. Super fun at cocktail parties, I'm sure.

The Cats had a great run, but UConn was the better team last night. It was another enjoyable tournament to watch.

Cat3roadracer
04-08-2014, 02:44 PM
It was a great game, as many have been in the tournament.

Don't forget about the women's final tonight - another UCONN team. This one has not lost a game this year.

dawgie
04-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Congrats to UCONN. I watched many of the games in this tournament but didn't stay up to watch the final. I hate KY and didn't really care if either team won or loss. All of my teams exited in earlier rounds.

I was glad to see UCONN win the final because the team had an interesting back story, and they weren't Kentucky. KY represents all that is evil in college athletics, IMHO. Sorry if there are any fans here, but the one-and-done approach is not good for the sport.

sokyroadie
04-08-2014, 04:27 PM
The Cats had a great run, but UConn was the better team last night. It was another enjoyable tournament to watch.

As a fellow Kentuckian I am absolutely thrilled that UK LOST:banana:;) I never would have picked UConn as a team that had a chance.

Jeff

ColonelJLloyd
04-08-2014, 06:01 PM
I was glad to see UCONN win the final because the team had an interesting back story, and they weren't Kentucky. KY represents all that is evil in college athletics, IMHO. Sorry if there are any fans here, but the one-and-done approach is not good for the sport.

What an ignorant statement. Kentucky fans hate the one-and-done approach more than you do. It should be obvious to anyone why that is. The NBA and NCAA should be the focus of your ire. Hatred for a sports team is pretty juvenile.

T.J.
04-08-2014, 07:31 PM
What an ignorant statement. Kentucky fans hate the one-and-done approach more than you do. It should be obvious to anyone why that is. The NBA and NCAA should be the focus of your ire. Hatred for a sports team is pretty juvenile.

Agreed ^^. As a fellow Kentuckian I don't like the one and done one bit and I don't know any other fan that does. I agree with you Lloyd, that was an ignorant statement

wc1934
04-08-2014, 08:55 PM

Next up is congrats to the women - undefeated again? I would say so!

ctcyclistbob
04-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Next up is congrats to the women - undefeated again? I would say so!

Yes it looks like a done deal at this point, up by 22 with a few minutes to play.

What fun to watch both men and women in their tournaments ... for entertainment value.

soulspinner
04-09-2014, 04:40 AM
Not crazy about Caliparis statements about Louisville. Five freshman that will be good enough to make the NBA against a team nobody picked. :hello:

dawgie
04-09-2014, 11:12 AM

Excuse my ignorance, but I never said that I hated the team. I don't like the KY athletics program because of their win-at-all-costs attitude. I am a UGA fan, and will forever dislike KY for stealing (hiring away) Georgia's basketball coach (Tubby Smith) when it was apparent that he was better than UK's coach of the moment. Whatever major college has hired away a head coach from a competing team in the same conference? I can't recall another case.

Georgia has struggled to build its basketball program for years. They finally seemed to have jumped that hurdle with Tubby Smith, until KY waved a bunch of dollars at him. Of course, he didn't have to take the money, but a college -- on principle -- should not be going after coaches in their own conference. Ironically, KY fired Tubby after 2-3 years for apparently not winning a national championship every year.

It is interested to hear, however, that KY fans do not like one-and-done either. I agree that it is a problem that the NCAA needs to address, but KY is obviously the biggest benefactor or abuser of the current policy.

sc53
04-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Whoa! Leave KY alone! The state has little enough to celebrate, let us enjoy our Cats!! Nobody likes the one and done, I wonder if letting the players unionize will change anything?
My first loyalty is to Virginia where I was schooled, second to KY where I was born. Third to the Washington Nats who provide decent entertainment.

ColonelJLloyd
04-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but I never said that I hated the team. I don't like the KY athletics program because of their win-at-all-costs attitude. I am a UGA fan, and will forever dislike KY for stealing (hiring away) Georgia's basketball coach (Tubby Smith) when it was apparent that he was better than UK's coach of the moment. Whatever major college has hired away a head coach from a competing team in the same conference? I can't recall another case.

Georgia has struggled to build its basketball program for years. They finally seemed to have jumped that hurdle with Tubby Smith, until KY waved a bunch of dollars at him. Of course, he didn't have to take the money, but a college -- on principle -- should not be going after coaches in their own conference. Ironically, KY fired Tubby after 2-3 years for apparently not winning a national championship every year.

It is interested to hear, however, that KY fans do not like one-and-done either. I agree that it is a problem that the NCAA needs to address, but KY is obviously the biggest benefactor or abuser of the current policy.

Congrats to UCONN. I watched many of the games in this tournament but didn't stay up to watch the final. I hate KY and didn't really care if either team won or loss. All of my teams exited in earlier rounds.

Again, your dissatisfaction is displaced. Like you said, Tubby Smith, willingly left his job at UGa. College basketball is a giant industry no matter how much you or anyone else wish it were like it was 30, 40, 50 years ago. Kentucky is hardly alone in spending big bucks on its basketball program. Coaches are always looking toward one of the top jobs and Tubby was no different. But, sure, blame the UK athletic director at the time if it makes you feel better.

I'm not trying to argue or pick on you, but did want to correct some of what you wrote.

morrisericd
04-09-2014, 04:59 PM
Great game although it cost me $1,200 in my pool!