PDA

View Full Version : Sort of OT: Ford and TdG

Elefantino
02-08-2006, 06:22 AM
Anybody else but me find this a little bit classless, considering Ford just closed its Atlanta plant? How much money do you think they paid for the title sponsorship?

Business is business, but.

I know, it's a rant, but I saw Syriana last night so I'm in a ranting mode.

Ford supports Tour de Georgia

The Tour de Georgia, (USA, April 18 - 23) has announced a title sponsor in car maker Ford. Georgia Ford Dealers will support the race in association with Ford's official agency J. Walter Thompson.

"The Georgia Ford Dealers are excited to play a leadership role in this emerging property, and to support the event's core objectives by promoting cycling, good health and the Georgia Cancer Coalition," said John Shoemaker, Past Chairman of the Atlanta District Ford Dealers Advertising Association.

"Ford's commitment to the Ford Tour de Georgia is an essential element in the growth of both the event itself and the sport of cycling in the United States. Annually, this event makes legitimate strides in becoming a more prestigious event globally, so naturally an association with a company like Ford is a perfect complement," said Gerard Bisceglia, Chief Executive Officer of USA Cycling. "Their continued support to cycling projects like the Ford Tour de Georgia, as well as an elite-level women's mountain bike team Ford Cycling, represents a significant dedication to our sport."

If they wanted a classy American automaker, they should have approached Toyota.

Kevin
02-08-2006, 06:29 AM
If the dealers don't advertise, people don't come to the dealership to buy cars and even more factories will have to close.

Kevin

William
02-08-2006, 06:33 AM
Reminds me of the cigarette company giving around $100,000 to a homeless shelter and then spending millions of dollars advertising the fact, patting themselves on the back. It's all about image and advertising baby.

Remember Lee Iacocca laying off thousands at Chrysler back in the 90's because sales were down. Problem was he was making over 21 Million a year plus perks. How many jobs and how much production could have been kept running if he had just taken a pay cut?

Oh well, more coffee. Where Juan?

William

93legendti
02-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Do you think maybe you should find out when the contract for sponsorship was signed before ripping Ford? Is it ok with you if the deal was struck before Ford decided to cut jobs?

I guess I am glad for sponsorship of bike races, especially ones as good as the TdG, since there are so few world class races in the USA....

Whoever told Ford advertising sold cars?

JohnS
02-08-2006, 08:19 AM
Yeah, who cares if thousands are losing their jobs, as long as they support bike racing! The Ford Atlanta plant has been on the endangered list for several years, so excuse me for being cynical and thinking that they are sponsoring the race for PR value to counteract the plant closing.
The only thing worse than a family-run business is a family-run business run by idiots. The William Clay clan can't even run a football team successfully, let alone a major corporation. There hasn't been an intelligent Ford since Hank The Deuce.

93legendti
02-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Great point-- because the factory has been on the endangered list for several years Ford should never have sposored a race. I wonder if Ford has the gall to run newspaper ads in Georgia or keep dealerships open? That must really be hard for the laid off (overpaid, union) workers to suffer thru, so classless.

BTW, John, I found a perfect weapon for your "disparity of force" rides:

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as23-e.htm

These will work in water, mud and sand. Even if you bury them in dirt for 30 days they will work without cleaning. A General is lunching in my home today, let me know if you need one. :D

JohnS
02-08-2006, 08:39 AM
No thanks, they're pieces of *****. All they are is rechambered, restyled AK's. That's why anytime you see IDF troops on TV, they carry Colt CAR15's. They prefer them for their light weight and accuracy. Thanks for the offer, though!
The problem (well, not all of it) is that the auto companies have been spending all their marketing/advertising dollars on the almighty SUV. Now that oil has gone through the roof, sales have stagnated and they don't ahve anything to replace it. I drive a Focus and wish that I could have one like I drove the last time I was in the UK...four wheel discs, better engine, etc. The American auto companies (I believe) have made a conscious effort not to offer a viable, nice car in the US until the last year or so. They wanted to keep selling the pickups/SUV's. I'm also sick of the companies talking about wages/legacy costs. They're the @ssholes that agreed to the contracts. Labor negotiations leave enough blame on both sides.
I fell off the soapbox...my rant is over. :argue:

93legendti
02-08-2006, 08:45 AM
No thanks, they're pieces of *****. All they are is rechambered, restyled AK's. That's why anytime you see IDF troops on TV, they carry Colt CAR15's. They prefer them for their light weight and accuracy. Thanks for the offer, though!
The problem (well, not all of it) is that the auto companies have been spending all their marketing/advertising dollars on the almighty SUV. Now that oil has gone through the roof, sales have stagnated and they don't ahve anything to replace it. I drive a Focus and wish that I could have one like I drove the last time I was in the UK...four wheel discs, better engine, etc. The American auto companies (I believe) have made a conscious effort not to offer a viable, nice car in the US until the last year or so. They wanted to keep selling the pickups/SUV's. I'm also sick of the companies talking about wages/legacy costs. They're the @ssholes that agreed to the contracts. Labor negotiations leave enough blame on both sides.
I fell off the soapbox...my rant is over. :argue:

The tankers all use the Galil -- because they do not have to take care of them (they work even when rusty!) and the stopping power is much better. The Sayerets all used AK's whenever they could. The AK-47 is about the only Russian weapon that was indeed better than the US counterpart. Yes, the paratroopers (that's who you see on TV 90% of the time) all use flat tops, but they have to clean them all the time and they are lighter.

JohnS
02-08-2006, 08:52 AM
The tankers all use the Galil -- because they do not have to take care of them (they work even when rusty!) and the stopping power is much better. The Sayerets all used AK's whenever they could. The AK-47 is about the only Russian weapon that was indeed better than the US counterpart. Yes, the paratroopers (that's who you see on TV 90% of the time) all use flat tops, but they have to clean them all the time and they are lighter.
The stopping power cannot be better since the Galil shoots the same 5.56mm NATO round as the AR15/M16. Any soldier that lets his gun get rusty should be courtmartialed. That's even worse than a rusty chain on a Serotta! :D
The AK is a better weapon than the AR...if you're a halftrained Russian peasant conscript. They are more dependable in extreme conditions without maintenance, but they are far less accurate. Like they say...only hits count.
PS-Was that a backhanded lunch invitation? I'm free! :banana:

flydhest
02-08-2006, 08:55 AM
I'm free! :banana:

Free?!?! You charged me $250 an hour.

. . . oh, wait, maybe that's not what you meant.

93legendti
02-08-2006, 08:58 AM
The stopping power cannot be better since the Galil shoots the same 5.56mm NATO round as the AR15/M16. Any soldier that lets his gun get rusty should be courtmartialed. That's even worse than a rusty chain on a Serotta! :D
The AK is a better weapon than the AR...if you're a halftrained Russian peasant conscript. They are more dependable in extreme conditions without maintenance, but they are far less accurate. Like they say...only hits count.
PS-Was that a backhanded lunch invitation? I'm free! :banana:

We will have to agree to disagree. Sorry, we are full today, but we host soldiers all the time and I will keep you in mind. The FIDF is always looking for new donors.:)

JohnS
02-08-2006, 09:03 AM
We will have to agree to disagree. Sorry, we are full today, but we host soldiers all the time and I will keep you in mind. The FIDF is always looking for new donors.:)
I could teach them marksmanship. Would they hire me as an independent contractor? The pay is much better and the hours shorter. :) I've shot on the Michigan Highpower Rifle Team and know others that have trained our soldiers in longrange shooting.

William
02-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Very interesting discussion on firearms guys. I'm into it though I'm mainly the CQC guy, edged & impact weaponry as well as H2H.

William

PS: SUV's are going Dino. :bike:

93legendti
02-08-2006, 09:14 AM
I could teach them marksmanship. Would they hire me as an independent contractor? The pay is much better and the hours shorter. :) I've shot on the Michigan Highpower Rifle Team and know others that have trained our soldiers in longrange shooting.

I think they have it covered. But there will be 3 other officers here as well, and I will quiz them to make sure.

93legendti
02-08-2006, 09:15 AM
Very interesting discussion on firearms guys. I'm into it though I'm mainly the CQC guy, edged & impact weaponry as well as H2H.

William

PS: SUV's are going Dino. :bike:

Check this out!

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/small_arms/corner_shot/Corner_Shot.htm

JohnS
02-08-2006, 09:18 AM
The inert handgun shown is a Austrian Glock. Not a thing of beauty, but the best tool out there. I own two. I wonder why it isn't an IMI Desert Eagle. :banana:

andy mac
02-08-2006, 09:21 AM
to get back on track...

people interested in bike racing are better educated and earn more than average - they are the kind of people ford needs to win over in order to survive. toyota just signed up the united pro team so maybe there's a good reason to be associated with bikes.

in business you have to spend $$ to make $$$.

i wish ford would stop focus group testing cars and just make something that got people excited and/or that held up in the long term. interestingly the companies that discounted the cost of their cars lost market share over the last few years and the companies that didn't, have gained market share.

the europeans, japanese and koreans have found a way do it. and, here comes china... it's going to get ugly in motown.