PDA

View Full Version : Problem with ebay transaction, need advice

zoom2zoom
04-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Hi

I don't frequent ebay, but I recently sold a 900 bike to someone who claims that the box was open and parts are missing

I had a strange feeling about the transaction, but went ahead with the sale and I actually was really careful about packing and shipping

Ups charged me 177 for insurance and shipping costs, which was 77 more than i expected, but I went ahead with it anyways

Now, I get a complaint and not sure what my next steps are? I emailed the buyer right back to ask for details about what was missing and ask for pics

Should i call Paypal or goto UPS?

Please help and I will never go ebay again, its just not worth the trouble

bigflax925
04-07-2014, 04:57 PM
File a claim with UPS. You paid extra for the insurance.

zoom2zoom
04-07-2014, 05:00 PM
File a claim with UPS. You paid extra for the insurance.

But doesn't UPS wants proof? What if the buyer doesn't want to provide?

tuscanyswe
04-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Cant offer any solid advice as ive been spared from things like this despite countless transactions with bike-ppl.

Did ups inspect the shipment when you packed? How on earth would they otherwise know what was in the box. Were they there when the buyer opended the box? I guess not so even if they know what was in it when they took it they have no way of knowing it wasent all there when they delivered and that the recipient isent just blatantly lying.

I often wondered what would happen if someone just said the stuff wasent in the box. Its impossible to prove he is lying.

i hope you get your bike back or that you get to keep the money but who can really know who took what, other than the thief that is.

If pp or ups side with him its like the perfect crime which is why i hope they dont! Good luck.

RedRider
04-07-2014, 05:15 PM
We receive lots of UPS packages and on occasion a box is damaged when it arrives. The UPS driver always points out the damage and asks us to inspect the contents before he leaves. If the items are damaged he has a report form that gets completed immediately. If you insured it someone had to sign for it. I would contact UPS. I don't know about eBay or PayPal. Good luck.

vqdriver
04-07-2014, 05:17 PM
I had a strange feeling about the transaction,

why's that? what tipped you off?

zoom2zoom
04-07-2014, 05:19 PM
That's what I'm afraid of - he said, she said and there is no proof

I actually did the packing at the ups store and the salesperson was watching me and said it was good

But I have no proof he saw me or approve of packing, i didn't get his name

jwad
04-07-2014, 05:23 PM
You should conduct all correspondence with the buyer through paypal dispute resolution. Either one of you should be able to open a claim.
If you shipped it following the policies, and you do everything through the dispute resolution, you shouldn't have any trouble with paypal.

Ralph
04-07-2014, 05:23 PM
We receive lots of UPS packages and on occasion a box is damaged when it arrives. The UPS driver always points out the damage and asks us to inspect the contents before he leaves. If the items are damaged he has a report form that gets completed immediately. If you insured it someone had to sign for it. I would contact UPS. I don't know about eBay or PayPal. Good luck.

This is your answer. If the box arrived busted open, UPS will have a record of that. Your proof for insurance.

zoom2zoom
04-07-2014, 05:24 PM
why's that? what tipped you off?

I just had that feeling when I was corresponding with the buyer, it was a best offer deals and he first low balled which i didn't respond and later asked again what price which i mentioned and he agreed. Nothing specific, just a feeling

I knew I should have just sold it here on paceline, but greed got the best of me.

zoom2zoom
04-07-2014, 05:27 PM
This is your answer. If the box arrived busted open, UPS will have a record of that. Your proof for insurance.

The buyer didn't go into details ( which i asked for and even ask to call me) but no replies.

All I received was a ebay case open claim and the buyer said the package was opened and parts are missing.

ultraman6970
04-07-2014, 05:28 PM
I need to you be honest and answer this question from your heart.

Did you pack the box right? or just put tape in the middle joint of the box only? Because if you did that I warranty you that the box at the 1st big bump in the distribution lines was going to get open, the question is... how well did you pack it? Seen sloppy packaging zillions of times, pack a bike right is at least 2 hours work. Some guys just open the box, drop the bike inside and they close it with 1 strip of packing tape hoping it will hold you know... how did you pack it?

Sorry for the hard time but packing is a big question...

oliver1850
04-07-2014, 05:30 PM
My UPS driver just leaves boxes at the end of the drive. I've often received boxes with holes in them that I'd bet money were not noted by UPS.

Ask the buyer if he took photos of the box before opening it. If not, he should have. I believe the shipper has to file any claim with UPS. I'd go ahead and do that and expect them to weasle out. At that point you've done all you should be expected to do, but it won't prevent getting bad feedback on ebay. Sort of a no-win situation. Hope you can get UPS to spring for whatever is supposed to be missing.

zoom2zoom
04-07-2014, 05:33 PM
The item is the cycle sizer, and I packed like I never packed before, I wrapped completed each piece and every piece.

And because i had that feeling, I wanted to pack so well that the buyer would be impressed

I should of taken pictures of the packing, but I didn't and i should have

After the packing, I then took it to ups store and bought the bubble wraps and finished the box tight

Then used clear tape and tape the exterior box completely

Really, unless ups drops the box, there should be any problems

I need to you be honest and answer this question from your heart.

Did you pack the box right? or just put tape in the middle joint of the box only? Because if you did that I warranty you that the box at the 1st big bump in the distribution lines was going to get open, the question is... how well did you pack it? Seen sloppy packaging zillions of times, pack a bike right is at least 2 hours work. Some guys just open the box, drop the bike inside and they close it with 1 strip of packing tape hoping it will hold you know... how did you pack it?

Sorry for the hard time but packing is a big question...

vqdriver
04-07-2014, 05:41 PM
yeah, if the box arrived opened and the insurance would have required a signature, i would think that the responsibility is on the receiver

YoKev
04-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Nothing more to add that hasn't been said. Good luck with everything.

zoom2zoom
04-07-2014, 05:48 PM
If the buyer signed for it, and didn't mentioned the box was opened to the driver and now claims to ebay that it was, then what?

If I file a claim ups will say the buyer signed for it with no issues?

yeah, if the box arrived opened and the insurance would have required a signature, i would think that the responsibility is on the receiver

tuscanyswe
04-07-2014, 05:50 PM

Dont think this box was open, was it? just missing parts and for that to be determined or validated every ups person would have to wait for every box to be unpacked to c exactly what was in there.. Many boxes need to be opened with care too so its a good 5-10 min extra each stop. No way can they do that.

I deliver dhl and i deliver on average a letter / package every 6 min or so. I rarely do it for more than an hour a day. If im slower im having a bad day and that included getting to a new adress for every letter / package. There would be zero profitability in it which is why i think its interesting to c how they exactly solve cases like this. My initial thoughts are it will cost them less to pay up then it would cost them in administrative fees regardless if ended up not paying the insurance. So perhaps like insurance companies they will just cough up regardless who is at fault? Time is idd money in cases like this.

Cicli
04-07-2014, 06:12 PM
I sold a frame once. The buyer filed a claim with eBay saying it was damaged. He stated the rear triangle was crushed closed and the wheel wouldn't fit. I agreed to let him return it and if indeed it was damaged I would refund him the cost plus the original shipping. I would then file a claim with UPS. I never heard from the buyer again. eBay closed the case.

The guy wanted a refund and to keep the frame. I didn't figure he would stomp it damaged and send it back. I requested he buy insurance and delivery confirmation for the return. I guess it wasn't worth his trouble.

Thats just my story. Hope it works out for you.

SlackMan
04-07-2014, 07:11 PM
I might be wrong, but my understanding is that if you delivered the bike with confirmation, then you are "good" from eBay's standpoint. Did you check with them on the issue?

ultraman6970
04-07-2014, 07:11 PM
Well that was the point of my question, worked at UPS and the guys sometimes kick boxes and stuff, boxes get trapped in the belts, a lot of crap going on but eventhought I worked like for 2 months there I really couldnt even think in a way for somebody to just go, find a box, open it and basically pick what they needed from the inside, at least in the loading truck lines it is impossible, in a matter of fact a trucker has more chances to do such a thing because he has more time to do it (lunch time for example, just like in the movies). So i think the chances for the box to be at purpose to be open at least in the loading truck lines is basically zero, open by accident? yes but if you pack it bomb proof pretty much something else happened.

Did you call UPS so they get in contact with the driver? for sure he remembers if the box was already open when the box was loaded you know? Maybe the box was left in the door step the whole day and somebody went and opened? Maybe the buyer is lying too?

At the ebay and paypal side you are kind'a screwed because you have to prove that the thing was sent complete, and usually in this type of matters is the buyer that will win.

This is what I would do because this can turn into a nightmare for you. Ask the guy to send you the bike back and return his money or maybe work it out assuming that like 200 bucks are missing for example. As for the insurance, dunno what to tell you. The only time I dealt in something like that I had pictures of the item from 30 minutes before and during packaging so they coultn't say that was broken before getting in the box. The buyer got the check of the insurance and everybody happy.

93legendti
04-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Call eBay, ask for help and explain your side. I've had great experiences with eBay when I talk to someone. Also, ask Ebay if the buyer should be required to provide an affidavit re damage/missing parts to help with your insurance claim.

Re packing, when I pack, I take pictures of the entire process. I've never needed to use them, but better safe than sorry.

stackie
04-07-2014, 07:36 PM
If your experience with eBay is anything like mine, you might as well just refund the money, ask nicely to get your gear back. Hopefully, you will get most of it. But, IMHO, you are going to end up with the short end of this stick.

Jon

pbarry
04-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Hmm, your gut feeling is right, almost always. Had a similar situation with a high end espresso machine I sold on the auction site for a friend. Buyer paid $50 more than similar units had sold for, then claimed it did not work.. In the end, after an agonizing amount of [capitalized] messages from the buyer, through ebay, I refunded $50, and the buyer was happy. :confused: So, see if you can slide around the subject of what the buyer needs from you. Parts, partial refund, return with full refund? Sorry this is a hassle. I wanted that machine but could not come up with the funds.

zoom2zoom
04-07-2014, 07:39 PM
I emailed the buyer twice today since receiving the claim this morning and haven't responded

I will contact UPS first tomorrow, and see how to contact eBay and Paypal

I assume the buyer needs to return the item to be before i issue a refund or do I need to issue refund first??

tmf
04-07-2014, 07:40 PM
What kind of feedback does the buyer have? If there are any previous dings, that could have some influence on the ebay case.

I've found it's important to actually go in and read the feedback comments. For negative comments, sometime people will mark it as positive but then enter the actual problem/issue in the comments. So, they may show 100% positive, but the written comments may paint a different story.

kramnnim
04-07-2014, 07:41 PM
I was recently sold a frame that arrived damaged...not sure when the damage happened, but it was surprising how much Paypal sides with the buyer. Good luck... :(

kramnnim
04-07-2014, 07:43 PM
I emailed the buyer twice today since receiving the claim this morning and haven't responded

I assume the buyer needs to return the item to be before i issue a refund or do I need to issue refund first??

Don't issue the refund until eBay/Paypal tells you to!

pbarry
04-07-2014, 07:50 PM

Yep. Stay on top of this.

zoom2zoom
04-07-2014, 07:51 PM
This is painful.. If the buyer returns the cycle to me, who pays for shipping costs? I spent 177 for shipping, then i spend another 177 for return shipping of a supposed damage item that I probably can't use and afraid to see the condition now, this is going to be bad

tuscanyswe
04-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Is it damaged now? I thought there were just items missing? I was thinking stuff like seatpost headset or similar.

pbarry
04-07-2014, 08:01 PM
What kind of feedback does the buyer have? If there are any previous dings, that could have some influence on the ebay case.

I've found it's important to actually go in and read the feedback comments. For negative comments, sometime people will mark it as positive but then enter the actual problem/issue in the comments. So, they may show 100% positive, but the written comments may paint a different story.

Yes to this. I researched the slimy buyer for the emachine, both on ebay and Google. He was a serial re-seller.. Check them out.

pcb
04-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Sounds like the buyer already filed a claim with ebay, yes? If so, your first call, at your earliest opportunity, should be to call ebay so they can explain your options. Why do all this guessing and worry yourself? Ebay should be able to tell you what you need to do.

cfox
04-07-2014, 08:11 PM

That would be nice...but as soon as an ebay buyer submits a claim, paypal automatically takes back the funds from your account. Nothing in your paypal account? Don't worry, they'll take it from the bank account hooked to your paypal account. The money is held in "escrow" until the claim is settled.This is one of the myriad ways ebay/paypal screws sellers. The onus in all these claims falls almost entirely on the seller. I won't use ebay any more; too seller unfriendly.

Ralph
04-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Didn't you say you sent it insured?

zoom2zoom
04-07-2014, 08:21 PM
yes package insured at $900

Didn't you say you sent it insured?

1. i just check the buyers feedback - 4 positive feedbacks 100% positive. ( i have 133 100% positive since 2000 if that matters)

2. ebay description says buyer and seller should try to work it out first before Ebay will make the decision, what is the number to call ebay? can't find it.

3. i don't know the exact condition of the cycle, the message was "open box, missing items, wants refund". so i don't know whats missing, if anything is damaged, etc until the buyer responds back to me.

tuscanyswe
04-07-2014, 08:27 PM
http://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/cusr?query=1484 call us on the right.

zoom2zoom
04-07-2014, 08:30 PM
WAIT! i just checked UPS tracking and the package was delivered on March 27, 2014 and he even left a positive feedback for me on ebay on April 4, 2014.

today april 7, 2014 he files the claim.

pbarry
04-07-2014, 08:32 PM
That would be nice...but as soon as an ebay buyer submits a claim, paypal automatically takes back the funds from your account. Nothing in your paypal account? Don't worry, they'll take it from the bank account hooked to your paypal account. The money is held in "escrow" until the claim is settled.This is one of the myriad ways ebay/paypal screws sellers. The onus in all these claims falls almost entirely on the seller. I won't use ebay any more; too seller unfriendly.

Not my experience 2 years ago. When was yours? Onus on seller, totally agree. Never felt screwed by the process, but have gone out of my way to provide overly-descriptive descriptions.. Before the change in policy, sellers could commit outright fraud, and not be held accountable. There's a happy medium somewhere between the two extremes..

SlackMan
04-07-2014, 08:35 PM
WAIT! i just checked UPS tracking and the package was delivered on March 27, 2014 and he even left a positive feedback on ebay on April 4, 2014.

today april 7, 2014 he files the claim.

Definitely contact eBay. I conjecture this is a clear case of buyer's remorse. His positive feedback before the claim weakens his case significantly.

zoom2zoom
04-07-2014, 08:51 PM
Definitely contact eBay. I conjecture this is a clear case of buyer's remorse. His positive feedback before the claim weakens his case significantly.

i spoke to Ebay and explained my case, i will need to wait for buyers response back within 36 hours and see what he is looking to do. So, at this point, i can only wait.

pbarry
04-07-2014, 08:52 PM

Fraud, pure and simple on the buyer's part. Be proactive and nail this.

zoom2zoom
04-07-2014, 09:02 PM
this is the ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301118515243?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

i actually refunded the buyer $25 as he thought shipping should only be $100 after the complete of the sale (even though shipping was much more).

hopefully everything will work out and i have the chance to leave the buyer a truthful feedback, then close my ebay account for good.

kramnnim
04-07-2014, 09:04 PM
You don't have to pay the return shipping if he demands a refund. Worst case is he mails back...a box of rocks and you're out the original shipping cost. It really doesn't seem like they do much to make sure the buyer sends back the actual item...they just need the buyer to provide tracking info and proof of delivery. (I assume they would hear your case if the buyer did send you back rocks...)

...this kind of mess makes me want to only sell thing in person. Scary. :mad: But yeah, hopefully his positive feedback will swing things in your favor.

nighthawk
04-07-2014, 09:16 PM

This is not actually true, atleast in my experience. I purchased a component group several months ago that was advertised as "light use" and the right shifter as being "recently rebuilt by a pro mechanic"... only to have a beat up pile of crap components show up loose in a box with no padded packing material. The rear shifter couldn't hold a shift to save it's life. The brakeset didn't have the recessed mounting nuts (not shown in photos).. etc, etc.

I filed an "item not as described claim" with ebay and though the seller agreed to refund my payment, I had to ship the item first, and pay the cost of return shipping.

At no point in the process did paypal "automatically take back the funds."
I wish they had, it would have been a big relief instead of trusting that an incompetent/dishonest seller was going to actually return my money. I did end up getting my money but had to suffer several rude and condescending emails from this piece of work.

I've had plenty of mediocre to good transactions on ebay... but it has definitely gotten harder to trust things will always work out. Not worth it for high value items in my opinion.

To the OP, I wish you the best of luck that things end up working out for you. It can be a frustrating experience, and if you end up losing out on $$, you just have to chock it up to a lesson learned.

pcb
04-07-2014, 09:52 PM
Ebay didn't refund _your_ payment immediately, but they probably did take the funds out of the _seller's_ paypal account immediately. That's SOP for "not as described" claims. The money sits in limbo (w/paypal earning interest?), until either a refund is made or the buyer drops the claim. If the seller's paypal balance is zero, ebay will make it negative, and any subsequent payments will be unavailable to the seller until the balance is positive.

I don't think they do that for "damaged in shipping" claims. Despite how suckful this all seems to zoom2zoom, at least the buyer didn't claim "not as described," 'cause if he did, zoom's funds would have been immediately frozen.

IME, for at least the past year ebay does hit the seller up for return shipping fees for "not as described" claims, even if the seller specifies "buyer pays return shipping fees." You had to pay out of pocket for the return shipping, but your refund from ebay should have had extra $$ to cover it. I have to refund a shipping amount equal to what I charged the buyer for shipping.

This is not actually true, at least in my experience...I filed an "item not as described claim" with ebay and though the seller agreed to refund my payment, I had to ship the item first, and pay the cost of return shipping.

I wish they had, it would have been a big relief instead of trusting that an incompetent/dishonest seller was going to actually return my money. I did end up getting my money but had to suffer several rude and condescending emails from this piece of work.

ultraman6970
04-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Well, if you give positive feedback and after like 5 days you file a complain that doesnt make any sense, isnt more honest to say the seller... "dude sorry but i dont want it no more" and just go and work out something??

Hope that positive feedback has some weight with ebay, because that little detail is good for the seller, to me looks more like a remorse buyer or something trying to figure it out how to get out of the deal after the fact.

I always try to put in my listings at ebay... "no returns, sales are final, be sure this is what you want, not my problem if you got the wrong thing or if you get second thoughts after a week".

As for the return, ebay or paypal won't give his money back unless the buyer sends the item back with a tracking number or something , so you have to be firm in the fact that you want the item back and please do not offer to pay for the shipping. Paypal can't force you (from what I have read in their policies) to pay for the shipping again, besides you sent money back already for shipping. The buyer pretty much is screwed because if he doesnt send it back he gets nothing, that will give you some time you know, time is at your side, he wants the money quick he needs to send it.

Hope all goes ok op.

nighthawk
04-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Ebay didn't refund _your_ payment immediately, but they probably did take the funds out of the _seller's_ paypal account immediately.

Yeah, you're probably right... I misread cfox's comment as meaning ebay refuned the money immediately. As far as I know, the seller in my situation did have the amount taken from their account, but they never mentioned it.

johnny_flapjack
04-07-2014, 10:09 PM
This is not actually true, atleast in my experience. I purchased a component group several months ago that was advertised as "light use" and the right shifter as being "recently rebuilt by a pro mechanic"... only to have a beat up pile of crap components show up loose in a box with no padded packing material. The rear shifter couldn't hold a shift to save it's life. The brakeset didn't have the recessed mounting nuts (not shown in photos).. etc, etc.

I filed an "item not as described claim" with ebay and though the seller agreed to refund my payment, I had to ship the item first, and pay the cost of return shipping.

I've had plenty of mediocre to good transactions on ebay... but it has definitely gotten harder to trust things will always work out. Not worth it for high value items in my opinion.

To the OP, I wish you the best of luck that things end up working out for you. It can be a frustrating experience, and if you end up losing out on $$, you just have to chock it up to a lesson learned.

They probably did, but not in a way that would be evident to the buyer. They put a boot on the funds in the seller's paypal account to make sure that the funds are available when they (almost always) refund them to the buyer. I've dealt with this process more times than I'd like to recount.

kramnnim
04-07-2014, 10:24 PM
IME, for at least the past year ebay does hit the seller up for return shipping fees for "not as described" claims, even if the seller specifies "buyer pays return shipping fees." You had to pay out of pocket for the return shipping, but your refund from ebay should have had extra $$ to cover it. I have to refund a shipping amount equal to what I charged the buyer for shipping.

Interesting, I've always been annoyed with how the buyer was out the return postage for valid "not as described" claims. Especially bad when the item was heavy/low value or from another country...

pcb
04-08-2014, 12:27 AM
With ebay bending over backwards for buyers, as long as the buyer files a claim within xx number of days, I don't think the buyer leaving positive feedback matters at all. Easy enough for the buyer to say: "I left feedback before I checked the box carefully, then when I checked it I saw that parts were missing."

There no longer is such a thing as "no returns" on ebay anymore AFAIK. Doesn't matter what you say in your listings, all the buyer has to do is make up a problem and claim: "Not As Described." Ebay will freeze your paypal funds, the buyer will be allowed to return the item, and the seller will have to pay return shipping. I think the seller does have to opportunity to dispute the buyer's claim, after the item is returned, but I don't think it makes any sense to try to force a sketchy buyer to take the item back.

Note that I am in no way saying that buyer claims are never valid, and I understand ebay wanting mechanisms in place to protect buyers. But the bottom line is any sold item can be returned for a full refund as long as the "not as described" claim is filed within the specified time allowed.

Sellers used to be able to check buyers' past/current bidding on all auctions, so I'd be able to head off problems with newbies bidding on multiple identical items and only paying for one, or getting all of them and only keeping one. That data is no longer available.

...Hope that positive feedback has some weight with ebay, because that little detail is good for the seller, to me looks more like a remorse buyer...

I always try to put in my listings at ebay... "no returns, sales are final, be sure this is what you want, not my problem if you got the wrong thing or if you get second thoughts after a week".

As for the return, ebay or paypal won't give his money back unless the buyer sends the item back with a tracking number or something , so you have to be firm in the fact that you want the item back and please do not offer to pay for the shipping. Paypal can't force you (from what I have read in their policies) to pay for the shipping again, besides you sent money back already for shipping. The buyer pretty much is screwed because if he doesnt send it back he gets nothing, that will give you some time you know, time is at your side, he wants the money quick he needs to send it.

Hope all goes ok op.

ultraman6970
04-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Do you see?? always good to ask stuff ;)

Ralph
04-08-2014, 09:02 AM
yes package insured at $900

1. i just check the buyers feedback - 4 positive feedbacks 100% positive. ( i have 133 100% positive since 2000 if that matters)

2. ebay description says buyer and seller should try to work it out first before Ebay will make the decision, what is the number to call ebay? can't find it.

3. i don't know the exact condition of the cycle, the message was "open box, missing items, wants refund". so i don't know whats missing, if anything is damaged, etc until the buyer responds back to me.

If it's insured, why aren't you talking to UPS? That's who you paid money to. Based on what you're telling us, my first call would have been to UPS. Having sent it insured, would be looking for evidence of condition of shipment at arrival, signature of customer stating condition. Am sure UPS has that info for insured shipments. With that info, would know how to talk with E Bay.

cfox
04-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Yeah, you're probably right... I misread cfox's comment as meaning ebay refuned the money immediately. As far as I know, the seller in my situation did have the amount taken from their account, but they never mentioned it.
Yeah, I wasn't totally clear. They don't automatically refund the buyer, but they freeze your funds for the possible (inevitable) refund. My point was that it's not up to the seller to issue a refund or not. Once the dispute process is motion, it's out of the sellers hands and ebay decides whether or not to refund the seller.

...There no longer is such a thing as "no returns" on ebay anymore AFAIK....

100% true. The buyer can claim "not as described" for any reason and get their money back, at least in my experience.

zoom2zoom
04-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Yes, I did speak to UPS and they informed me that they will go and retrieve the package from the buyer tomorrow and they will inspect and make a decision and let me know the next steps.

I emailed the buyer three times with no response and spoke to ebay representative last night and was told to wait for buyer response for 36 hours.

If it's insured, why aren't you talking to UPS? That's who you paid money to. Based on what you're telling us, my first call would have been to UPS. Having sent it insured, would be looking for evidence of condition of shipment at arrival, signature of customer stating condition. Am sure UPS has that info for insured shipments. With that info, would know how to talk with E Bay.

Jexbrah
04-08-2014, 02:07 PM
The fact that the seller is not responding with you sounds like he doesn't want to work things out with you. Kind of strange but I guess you'll find out tomorrow. Was UPS able to contact the seller or do they just plan on showing up and knocking at his door?

Shortsocks
04-08-2014, 02:10 PM
I can't stand ebay anymore. Every time, literarily every time including right now, when I auction something I get a damn deadbeat buyer. It's crazy. Maybe it's just my luck but it's become uncanny. I don't understand, every time I've won something I pay within 5 mins. Why do people bid and NOT pay?

Also, what's with not being able to leave negative feedback anymore?

nicrump
04-08-2014, 04:10 PM
lets face it ebay is an opportunity for anyone to get phooked. buyer or seller.

my new rule, i dont do anything on ebay that i'd get upset over if it went bad.

ultraman6970
04-08-2014, 04:17 PM
IMO is not that ebay is bad, the problem is that after like 10 years obviously more a-holes are scamming honest people you know.

tuscanyswe
04-08-2014, 04:19 PM
IMO is not that ebay is bad, the problem is that after like 10 years obviously more a-holes are scamming honest people you know.

Doesent that translate directly into ebay beeing bad from a user point of view tho if theres more a-holes lurking?

zoom2zoom
04-08-2014, 04:48 PM
I'm wondering what is the buyer's stratgy for not responding to any of my emails and UPS is suppose to go and pick up tomorrow and what if he doesn't answer the door?

I'm trying everything to make this right, but both parties need to communicate

eddief
04-08-2014, 05:58 PM
You have your money? Right? Phuck the buyer.

zoom2zoom
04-08-2014, 06:19 PM
You have your money? Right? Phuck the buyer.

I have heard that Paypal or ebay can withdraw my funds directly from my bank account if they find in favor of the buyer.

So is the buyer not wanting to communicate means that issue was not resolved and thus refund is issued? I don't know.

ultraman6970
04-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Well, that could be a problem for them (ebay) if you don't get the item back. I doubt they will do that if you havent get the item back.

Some people is so irresponsible that they won't move a single finger you know, probably the guy had a bad day with the taxes and that's why he got pissed off and came up with all this crazy idea. One thing for sure, he has a time limit before the case expire, if he doesnt answer or anything is your gain.

If ups knock the door and he is not at home, well... like if it was that hard to call ups and schedule a pick up or something, IMO if he doesnt want to do it is his problem, time is running out for him, like 30 or 60 days? can't remember.

vqdriver
04-08-2014, 06:27 PM
Dont think this box was open, was it? just missing parts and for that to be determined or validated every ups person would have to wait for every box to be unpacked to c exactly what was in there.. .

don't know. sounded like that was the claim from the op

Hi

I don't frequent ebay, but I recently sold a 900 bike to someone who claims that the box was open and parts are missing..........

93legendti
04-08-2014, 06:38 PM
I'm wondering what is the buyer's stratgy for not responding to any of my emails and UPS is suppose to go and pick up tomorrow and what if he doesn't answer the door?

I'm trying everything to make this right, but both parties need to communicate

When I sell, I don't have the time or energy to worry about the buyer's strategy. Follow ebay's prompts and respond thru eBay and you'll probably be fine.

SoCalSteve
04-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Just ignore it. You did everything right. By him leaving positive feedback and you having it fully insured, you are not going to lose.

Do not give him his money back, do not contact eBay, do nothing. Let him do all the work.

Sleep well tonight, you are fine!

pcb
04-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Ignoring the buyer and ebay will ensure the worse possible scenario for the seller. Doesn't matter if "you did everything right," once a claim is filed you have to follow ebay's procedure. If ebay says: "Respond to buyer within 48hrs," you have to respond. Ebay requires back and forth.

I don't think there's any chance for zoom to "lose," if we define "lose" as he has to issue a refund and does not get the item returned. I've had that happen, truly suckful. I think the worse case scenario is he gets the size cycle back, possibly missing pieces, refunds the original payment, and gets no insurance compensation from UPS.

Just ignore it. You did everything right. By him leaving positive feedback and you having it fully insured, you are not going to lose.

Do not give him his money back, do not contact eBay, do nothing. Let him do all the work.

Sleep well tonight, you are fine!

Saint Vitus
04-09-2014, 01:27 PM

It used to be worse actually, hence all the controls put in place (that people find offensive and obtrusive).

zoom2zoom
04-09-2014, 04:10 PM
received this message from ebay after hearing nothing from the buyer for 48 hours:

Buyer closed this case on Apr 09, 2014 because the buyer worked it out with you.

SoCalSteve
04-09-2014, 04:12 PM
received this message from ebay after hearing nothing from the buyer for 48 hours:

Buyer closed this case on Apr 09, 2014 because the buyer worked it out with you.

I hate to be the one to say I told you so...:banana:

Glad it all worked out in the end and you didn't lose sleep over it!

93legendti
04-09-2014, 04:31 PM
i hate to be the one to say i told you so...:banana:

Glad it all worked out in the end and you didn't lose sleep over it!

+1

ultraman6970
04-09-2014, 05:30 PM
Great that it everything went ok, just in case, which was the arrangement??

pbarry
04-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Zoom called his bluff with the UPS pickup, and the guy folded. :beer:

zoom2zoom
04-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Oh... I was following advices from you guys and I called UPS and they wanted to see the package and item since I filed for insurance, I guess they showed up at his door...

Zoom called his bluff with the UPS pickup, and the guy folded. :beer:

Ralph
04-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Glad it worked out. It usually will. E Bay and PayPal just a business, like any other. They have rules and policies. Sometimes works for you, sometimes against you. They're not bad. Just a business. Just have to use your head. You spent extra for insurance. Good decision, you got your money's worth. No reason not to use them time to time.

I'm looking at a frame on E Bay as we speak. Am interested. Just wondering the odds of receiving it damaged. Just something one has to include in the decision making process.

SoCalSteve
04-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Glad it worked out. It usually will. E Bay and PayPal just a business, like any other. They have rules and policies. Sometimes works for you, sometimes against you. They're not bad. Just a business. Just have to use your head. You spent extra for insurance. Good decision, you got your money's worth. No reason not to use them time to time.

I'm looking at a frame on E Bay as we speak. Am interested. Just wondering the odds of receiving it damaged. Just something one has to include in the decision making process.

Just curious as why you would think the odds of it showing up damaged from an eBay purchase would be any different than say you buying it from someone on here?

Ralph
04-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Not sure the odds w/b any different. Been disappointed by purchases on here. With a frame, I'm usually looking to see if it's a business that sells a lot of frames, even used ones, and presumably...knows how to package one, or if it's first time for an individual. In some ways, I trust E Bay more than on here. Usually better pics also from E Bay business. Small stuff, easily packaged, don't worry so much. What some call low miles, excellent condition, seems like junk to me. "Just a couple of season of Cross....great condition".

I'm kinda impressed how the E Bay, PayPal, UPS system worked for this poster.

pcb
04-09-2014, 08:31 PM
Very glad to hear this worked out for you!

Would you mind PMing me with the bidder's ebay id so I can add him to my stellar list of blocked bidders? I wouldn't necessarily suggest you publicly out him here. I don't know if there are any forum rules regarding that kind of thing, but since the case is settled you may not want to potentially poke him with a stick...

Jexbrah
04-09-2014, 11:15 PM
Glad to hear you worked it out as well. The guy probably did change his mind about the purchase but when the guys showed up he didn't know how to explain it.

potatochip
04-10-2014, 12:16 PM
Let eBay claims work it out before you give up any money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyhippy
04-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Unfortunately, due to the relative strength of the Paypal process for buyers, these ebay "shakedowns" are more and more common. Transaction is actually fine, but buyers try to put a squeeze on at the end to extort a bit of cash. You did the right thing, getting UPS to come back out - that usually stops this in its tracks. I've had people say that the package never showed up (UPS tracking shows delivered) - I tell them that UPS requires that a police report be filed for missing packages (may or may not be true), and that I'll need to have them come out to the house. You never hear from them again. For damaged packages, I just ask for photos so that I can submit to FedEx for a claim - same thing, never hear from them again.