PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Lever: Strange Clicking when Braking

dk2ck
04-06-2014, 02:38 AM
I was setting up my bike for a ride tomorrow morning when I noticed there was a strange clicking noise whenever I pressed my right shifter lever after a certain point (roughly when the lever is perpendicular to the floor). I loosened the rear brake anchoring bolt and the noise disappears. Anyone have any ideas as to what the cause of this noise is, and more importantly how to get rid of it? It isn't a huge deal, but I am pretty sure it will drive me crazy during tomorrow's ride.

Here is a video of said noise: http://tinypic.com/r/30kx0d3/8 The shifter is a Ultegra 6800 shifter.

Thanks for any help!

oldpotatoe
04-06-2014, 07:59 AM
I was setting up my bike for a ride tomorrow morning when I noticed there was a strange clicking noise whenever I pressed my right shifter lever after a certain point (roughly when the lever is perpendicular to the floor). I loosened the rear brake anchoring bolt and the noise disappears. Anyone have any ideas as to what the cause of this noise is, and more importantly how to get rid of it? It isn't a huge deal, but I am pretty sure it will drive me crazy during tomorrow's ride.

Here is a video of said noise: http://tinypic.com/r/30kx0d3/8 The shifter is a Ultegra 6800 shifter.

Thanks for any help!

I'm thinking the head of the cable is moving somehow in the lever..make sure cable head is seated, grease around cable head..

Chris
04-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Have you pulled the cable? It's possible that the cable head is fraying.

roydyates
04-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Did you watch the rear caliper at the instant when the click occurs? If it is related to how the cable head is seated, maybe you should see some visible movement at the caliper (or in the housing along the cable) when the click occurs? OTOH I wouldn't expect to see anything if it is a frayed cable.

dk2ck
04-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Did you watch the rear caliper at the instant when the click occurs? If it is related to how the cable head is seated, maybe you should see some visible movement at the caliper (or in the housing along the cable) when the click occurs? OTOH I wouldn't expect to see anything if it is a frayed cable.

The caliper doesn't do anything weird. I can't really check the housing because the rear cable housing is internally routed. I'll pull the cable later tonight and give it a look. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

dk2ck
04-08-2014, 03:36 AM
I'm thinking the head of the cable is moving somehow in the lever..make sure cable head is seated, grease around cable head..

A bit of grease around the cable head did the trick. Thanks for your help guys!