PDA

View Full Version : Going Postal

WSBA Jr.
04-06-2014, 12:30 AM
Friday afternoon, I was at the Post Office to send a package to a fellow forumite. In a hurry with pressing family issues, I chose the flat rate, which was probably overkill, but since I didn't have my own perfect size box, I would get guaranteed insurance and tracking with flat rate and their box.

Only two of us at the counter, some other folks were still preparing some large 3' tall packages. I was waved ahead to the counter. Had my package mostly prepared, left the top un-taped...I figured we would be putting some things inside the package.

Me: "I'd like to send this package to Chicago area, where the contents will be inspected, then returned to me. I'd like to pre-pay the postage for the round trip."
She: "Do they have a box that it will go in?"
Me: "No, he'll use the same box, just affix my address and the prepaid postage sticker."
She: "Is there a box inside this one?"
Me: "No, just this same box. I have the return address sticker, hand lettered and addressed to me for him to attach. (Shows address sticker) I just need to pre-pay the postage."
She: "I don't know how we would do that. The postage would be dated."
Me: "Uh huh...is that a problem?"
She: "Yes, I don't think I can do that."
Me: "Hmm. What would you suggest for a way for me to pay for the round trip shipping?"
She: (Deer in headlights)..."Stamps!"
Me: "Stamps?"
She: "Yes, I'll put $24.32 in stamps inside the package for him."
Me: "We can't do a postage sticker, assuring return tracking?" (Part of flat fee rate)
She: (Already busily counting up stamps) "I'll just put this little package of stamps in the box." (She searched for two .02 stamps.)
Me: (Looked over my shoulder, in this ten minute exchange, now eight people waiting, glaring at the jerk holding things up.) "Just for my edification, if this fellow behind me (with the three foot tall package) wants it returned pre-paid, he'd wallpaper the side of it with stamps?"
She: "Yes! There is probably a solution online, but I don't know anything about that."
Me: (I capitulated, needed to leave, needed the package delivered as promised to forumite.) "Thank you for your help."

I always say never again, but I find myself back there on an unfortunate Friday afternoon...

Cheers, appreciate constructive comments and/or additional war stories.

pdmtong
04-06-2014, 01:11 AM
Your first mistake was standing in line

Find a post office with a self-service kiosk. this is perhaps the greatest USPS invention since forming the USPS itself.

https://www.usps.com/shop/use-self-service-kiosks.htm

in <5 minutes you can generate and print your postage and the return postage

it really is that simple

rwsaunders
04-06-2014, 07:19 AM

Find a post office with a self-service kiosk. this is perhaps the greatest USPS invention since forming the USPS itself.

it really is that simple

+1...just sent a package to a Forumite on Friday and I used the self service unit in the lobby...it took all of 3-4 minutes and it didn't even scowl at me. :cool:

oldpotatoe
04-06-2014, 07:55 AM
Friday afternoon, I was at the Post Office to send a package to a fellow forumite. In a hurry with pressing family issues, I chose the flat rate, which was probably overkill, but since I didn't have my own perfect size box, I would get guaranteed insurance and tracking with flat rate and their box.

Only two of us at the counter, some other folks were still preparing some large 3' tall packages. I was waved ahead to the counter. Had my package mostly prepared, left the top un-taped...I figured we would be putting some things inside the package.

Me: "I'd like to send this package to Chicago area, where the contents will be inspected, then returned to me. I'd like to pre-pay the postage for the round trip."
She: "Do they have a box that it will go in?"
Me: "No, he'll use the same box, just affix my address and the prepaid postage sticker."
She: "Is there a box inside this one?"
Me: "No, just this same box. I have the return address sticker, hand lettered and addressed to me for him to attach. (Shows address sticker) I just need to pre-pay the postage."
She: "I don't know how we would do that. The postage would be dated."
Me: "Uh huh...is that a problem?"
She: "Yes, I don't think I can do that."
Me: "Hmm. What would you suggest for a way for me to pay for the round trip shipping?"
She: (Deer in headlights)..."Stamps!"
Me: "Stamps?"
She: "Yes, I'll put $24.32 in stamps inside the package for him."
Me: "We can't do a postage sticker, assuring return tracking?" (Part of flat fee rate)
She: (Already busily counting up stamps) "I'll just put this little package of stamps in the box." (She searched for two .02 stamps.)
Me: (Looked over my shoulder, in this ten minute exchange, now eight people waiting, glaring at the jerk holding things up.) "Just for my edification, if this fellow behind me (with the three foot tall package) wants it returned pre-paid, he'd wallpaper the side of it with stamps?"
She: "Yes! There is probably a solution online, but I don't know anything about that."
Me: (I capitulated, needed to leave, needed the package delivered as promised to forumite.) "Thank you for your help."

I always say never again, but I find myself back there on an unfortunate Friday afternoon...

Cheers, appreciate constructive comments and/or additional war stories.

Called 'click and ship'..onto their website, with a CC#, set up an account. Could make 2 labels, one there and one back..put one on the box, the return inside...take to PO, drop in box, go home, no lines needed..

avalonracing
04-06-2014, 08:11 AM
Only eight people behind you in line? When I see only eight people in line as I walk up to the door it gets a response of, "Quickly, let's get inside while there is no one in line!" This is at our large regional PO where there are about 8 windows but only two people ever working the front. It is not uncommon to see OVER 20 people waiting in line at any point in the day.

If I can't use the self service kiosk (which often has a few people waiting for it) I pack a lunch.

likebikes
04-06-2014, 09:46 AM

it really is that simple

there's also a small discount using the apc machine vs a live person at the counter.

rdparadise
04-06-2014, 09:48 PM
It's just another reason why they are basically bankrupt! If is wasn't for eBay, online shopping and tv shopping networks the USPS would have been long gone 10+ years ago.

Bob

rdparadise
04-06-2014, 09:49 PM
It's just another reason why they are basically bankrupt! If is wasn't for eBay, online shopping and tv shopping networks the USPS would have been long gone 10+ years ago.

Bob

johnny_flapjack
04-07-2014, 06:56 AM
+1 for online shipping. You can spec the box and weight, then enter the to and from AND the date the package will be shipped. That way you can print your postage without dealing with the desk folk, then print the return postage based on your expected return date. I've shipped later than my stated "ship on" date and never had a problem.

Chris
04-07-2014, 07:11 AM
That's a Priority Rate specific problem. I ship priority all the time. They have to sell the postage for those boxes the day it ships because of the tracking responsibility. I have no idea how the $24 in stamps gets around that unless they just entering the tracking info on the day it gets sent back to you.

Elefantino
04-07-2014, 01:57 PM
Generally, postal workers are nice people but Mensa members they aren't, also generally.

Click 'N' Ship is the greatest invention on the Interwebs, other than cat Tumblrs and The Paceline.

WSBA Jr.
04-07-2014, 03:41 PM
The package has arrived, and now my poor forumite trading partner will be licking stamps. I'm sure I'll have no idea where or when it might arrive back again, hoping for a Mensa member (or trainee) to be temporarily USPS employed at that end to make a successful journey.

Thanks to all for the direction...online, kiosks, there is hope after all! I can see I need to be more proactive, asking the generous Paceline members for advice before I screw up again...

jimoots
04-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Bought a Moots from a forumite, USPS forced us to take up their highest tier parcel sending method to get the frame from the US to Australia - Global Express Guaranteed.

Basically they tell you that they'll guarantee to have the parcel delivered by a certain date, local time (i.e. time-zone for the delivery). If they fail to meet the guarantee, they refund your postage.

So $350 and six days later, they missed their guaranteed date by one day. Tracking number confirms this so there's no question that it was delivered late.

Don't know if they'll be refunding the money - I expect they'll be offering no shortage of excuses as to why they don't have to refund the money.

Funniest part is that the parcel didn't move for two or three days, if they had actually got it moving when they took delivery of the parcel, it would have been on time and I'd have no right to a refund.

:bike:

choke
04-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Only eight people behind you in line? When I see only eight people in line as I walk up to the door it gets a response of, "Quickly, let's get inside while there is no one in line!" This is at our large regional PO where there are about 8 windows but only two people ever working the front. It is not uncommon to see OVER 20 people waiting in line at any point in the day.

If I can't use the self service kiosk (which often has a few people waiting for it) I pack a lunch.Heh...it's very rare that there's anyone at the counter when I go to the PO, maybe 2-3 times a year. But then I do live in the middle of nowhere....

CromoSapien
04-08-2014, 12:34 AM
Ha, good story. Here's a standup comedy clip from Louis CK. He goes to the post office at 2:48. This might not be entirely safe for work… depending on where you work :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5Z_ZducwbQ