PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a Serotta Legend Ti with carbon seatstays

roadiesean
04-05-2014, 05:22 AM
Hi all

I'm contemplating a second hand Legend Ti with the carbon stays, I can find no reviews of them anywhere. I have an IF Ti Crown Jewel and a Moots Vamoots RSL among other things.

How will the Legend Ti compare ? The thing I am most concerned about is the carbon seat stays, I like my ti bikes to be ti and my carbon bikes to be carbon, but if the combination of the two is great, then thats all good. But if there are issues, I'd really like to know. Any history of failures or deterioration ?

Who made the carbon tubing for the stays ?

And the serial number is CLS 56 689, I had a quick look at the decoding serial numbers and couldn't find the CLS. I think the frame is supposed to be around 2008, would that fit with those numbers ??

Thanks very much guys.

Sean

Climb01742
04-05-2014, 06:29 AM
I've been around this forum a long time and I can't ever recall hearing a single quality control issue with the carbon stays. Some folks like them, some don't. But my guess is you can buy with confidence that the frame and stays are built to endure and perform. Serotta the company may have had its issues but the frames they made were almost without exception of the highest craftsmanship.

The one caution I might raise is frame stiffness. If you can, try to find out how stiff the frame was designed to be. It's been an oft debated subject here but some folks, myself included, found some legends over built. However, many many folks find them to be sublime. Think about the ride you're looking for and see if you can find out how the frame was designed. Good luck.

572cv
04-05-2014, 07:04 AM
i have the fierte Ti with carbon stays. I think they contribute to the terrific ride of the bike, and have had absolutely no issues with them.

The thing about Serotta that is both confounding and reassuring is the very high level of intellectual capital and craftsmanship found in each bike. The confounding part is that it couldn't somehow be kept going.

roadiesean
04-05-2014, 07:14 AM
Thanks fellas, overbuilt not likely to be a problem for me ! I'm almost 90kg and a bit of a masher, The Vamoots RSL I have is anything but typical Ti as well.

Many thanks
Sean

Fishbike
04-05-2014, 08:02 AM
I too have a Fierte with carbon stays. I really like the ride and have had no issues with carbon stays. I can only assume the Legend is that much more refined.

SPOKE
04-05-2014, 08:15 AM
If this frame has the "ST" bearing pivot connecting the seat stays to the drop outs there is a good chance the frame is built with the standard stiffness chain stays. If this is the case the frame will have a very plush ride.

wooly
04-05-2014, 09:41 AM
I recall Reynolds being the supplier of the carbon rear but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiretrax
04-05-2014, 09:44 AM
I had a Concours CS. The ride was the smoothest of any bike I had. IF leaves the Reynolds decal on their carbon stays. Since Serotta's forks were Reynolds carbon, I thought the stays were also Reynolds.

happycampyer
04-05-2014, 12:36 PM
Even if the rear triangle was built to be stiff, it will ride differently than the RSL, particularly if it has the ST bearing. The Legend with the carbon stays is the one variation that I don't have—I have an all-ti Legend, an Ottrott SE (i.e., with carbon seatstays and ST bearings) and an Ottrott with ti seatstays. I also happen to have both an RSL and a Ti Crown Jewel, and am in the process of selling them. The RSL is a very stiff frame. The Serottas tend to keep the rear wheel planted better, and in general have a more "plush" ride (depending as others have said on how stiff the frame was designed to be).

The carbon seatstays were originally a Reynolds product, designed by Mike Lopez. When he split from Reynolds, he continued to make the seatstays for Serotta out of the Poway facility. Serotta did an enormous amout of testing of the ti/carbon bonds, so I would not be concerned about a secondhand Legend SE (or Ottrott SE) that has been well taken care of.

93legendti
04-05-2014, 02:57 PM
I agree with Jim - I can't recall any threads about Serotta carbon seat stays failing.

I've had 4 bikes with them, 3 were bought used, and no problems here. My Ottrott ST, bought new in 2007 is going strong. I could be mistaken, but I think Kelly Bedford once told me the seat stays are the least stressed tubes on a bike.