PDA

View Full Version : windows media player question

oliver1850
04-04-2014, 07:37 PM
Since I've been using XP and can't afford a new PC right now, I dug out my Vista machine today, figuring to use it until the next MS support termination. When I play anything on media player, the vocals sound like your 3 year old, though the tempo is right. I'm not aware of a chimpmunks on/off switch in media player, so assume there's something wrong with the program.

It seems MS doesn't offer MP12 for Vista and I'm not certain there's an online version of MP11 for Vista. Should I delete as much as I can of the version I have now and attempt to DL something from MS, or is there something else I can try?

thanks

kramnnim
04-04-2014, 07:43 PM
I use this- http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Do things like youtube videos sound normal?

oliver1850
04-04-2014, 08:04 PM
I use media player mostly for ripping cds to hd, then playing them back on shuffle. Will videolan ID and name songs, organize them in their original order, etc. like MP11? One reason I want media player is that I have thousands of cds on external HDs, and want the capability to play them through the Vista computer.

kramnnim
04-04-2014, 08:14 PM
I don't think VLC rips, I've always used CDex for that...it will assign ID3 like you're looking for.

I'm just wondering if the your issue is something with WMP, or your sound card/drivers?

ultraman6970
04-04-2014, 08:38 PM
If you get the K-lite codec pack, includes media player classic that IMO works way better than any MS stuff and is super reliable aswell.

rounder
04-04-2014, 10:23 PM
Since I've been using XP and can't afford a new PC right now, I dug out my Vista machine today, figuring to use it until the next MS support termination. When I play anything on media player, the vocals sound like your 3 year old, though the tempo is right. I'm not aware of a chimpmunks on/off switch in media player, so assume there's something wrong with the program.

It seems MS doesn't offer MP12 for Vista and I'm not certain there's an online version of MP11 for Vista. Should I delete as much as I can of the version I have now and attempt to DL something from MS, or is there something else I can try?

thanks

I know that you are more technical than me. Is the problem with your software or your speakers. I had been using old dell speakers for years because I thought they were ok. Switched them for medium priced Bose and was really surprised.

oliver1850
04-05-2014, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the replies. Updating the drivers fixed it.

Web1111a
04-05-2014, 01:00 PM
Glad that fixed it

Which version of vista are you running

Make sure you have all service packs and updates installed

oliver1850
04-05-2014, 01:24 PM
It's Home Premium. I have SP1.