PDA

View Full Version : Llewellyn Lucentezza heading to the US

Dazza
04-02-2014, 09:46 PM
G'day Gladdies, this may be of interest, I have a Lucentezza frame set for a US customer so while I wait for the client's position data to arrive I made a start on the Llewellyn stainless steel stem lugs,.
The handle bar stem lug set was the first casting project that I sank my teeth into 10 years ago. It is a rare occasion when a client does not order a bespoke lugged stem and machined/painted spacer to compliment their bike.
The stem will be silver brazed with a connector tube made from Columbus Nivacrom material specially supplied for the stem builds.
I will post pics of the build process of the complete frame set in this thread.

any how
Saw saw saw, grind grind, file file, grind, file , grind file, sand.

William
04-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Dazza,

As always, the craftsmanship and detail in your work never ceases to blow me away. I'm making some popcorn and grabbing a cold one and I'll sit here until you post up some more. ;)

William

Dazza
04-02-2014, 10:23 PM

Dazza,

As always, the craftsmanship and detail in your work never ceases to blow me away. I'm making some popcorn and grabbing a cold one and I'll sit here until you post up some more. ;)

William

54ny77
04-03-2014, 12:35 AM
Must. Post. More. Often.

Seriously.

Llewellyn
04-03-2014, 04:58 AM
Must. Post. More. Often.

Seriously.

Absolutely agreed

Llewellyn
04-03-2014, 05:02 AM
Dazza

Really looking forward to this one.

Do you limit the number of Lucentezza frames you do each year? I think you said at one stage you were thinking of doing so because of how demanding they are to do.

Just curious in case I get the pennies together to order one :)

Cheers
Carl in Perth

Dazza
04-03-2014, 06:09 AM
Dazza

Really looking forward to this one.

Do you limit the number of Lucentezza frames you do each year? I think you said at one stage you were thinking of doing so because of how demanding they are to do.

Just curious in case I get the pennies together to order one :)

Cheers
Carl in Perth

Hi Carl, they are super hard mainly on my neck and shoulders and elbow. The hands are not too bad. The polish work is easy, it is the sanding work that kills one's mind and hurts the joints. So many complications and implications to ensure all is done sweet and when they are nearly completed I am very ready to see the frame go to Joey for paint. It is a relief. I get a break and knock over all the jobs that are piling up while I have been on the frame set. These days I try to knock it down into pieces, such as do the stem and then do another unrelated to that frame job. Then back and complete the fork and do some other work. Then I make a start on the main frame. The result is pleasing for me when the bike is completely assembled and being ridden. My smile then returns and all is good again.
If I have a few good camping trips with Ginger in the cooler months I will be ready to do another one late this year.

FlashUNC
04-03-2014, 08:13 AM
Beautiful work.

I'm curious though, why spend this level of physical and mental energy on the details? What's motivating you to do what you yourself describe as physically and mentally draining?

Genuinely curious, so please don't read any snark into the question.

Dazza
04-03-2014, 08:24 AM
Beautiful work.

I'm curious though, why spend this level of physical and mental energy on the details? What's motivating you to do what you yourself describe as physically and mentally draining?

Genuinely curious, so please don't read any snark into the question.

Yes, good question.
I could say it is the challenge that motivates me, the satisfaction when the pain stops, the pats on the back, or just a tragic metal worker, flag ship model.......................................
or I could say
It keeps the order book healthy and so the bills are paid and with a bit of luck, it allows us to have a weekend off every now to go camping.

I like the end result.
I just do not want too many of them too close together. For a couple of years I did 5 Lucentezza frame sets each year. Maybe that scared me.:eek:

Ahneida Ride
04-04-2014, 08:46 AM
:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Dazza
04-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Gladdies, no progress here because I am waiting for the customer to supply me their position data.
I might send the lads around to sort it out.

Dazza
04-14-2014, 04:22 PM
I am on another frame set at this time
however the client has indicated this stainless lugged frame set will be a road fixie.
I love road fixies. Riding rolling hills on a fixie is cycling.
We are sorting out the position and frame geo to fit.
Will be back on this frame set in the next week or two
Stay tuned

Dazza
05-02-2014, 12:53 AM
G'day, I have made a start on the main frame lug set.
It is a Cadenzia lug set that was joint collaboration with Dario Pegoretti late 2009. Dario used these lugs in his "Day is Done" frame set and I use them in my Cadenzia frame set.
XL tube sizes (I detest the 'Double Over Size' term but that is just me) with level top tube. These were the first lug sets like this.
You can read more about these lugs here
http://www.framebuilderscollective.org/cadenzia-lug-set/
This lugs set is for a Lucentezza Cadenzia road fixie :)
Lots of grinding, filing, sanding. Polishing toil much later.
The shapes are my current flavour, enough elaboration but with flowing shorelines. I have before and after photos to compare.
The lizard sleeps up in the rafters of the workshop, he or she runs around and on occasions gives one quite a startle.
Any questions?

Dazza
05-02-2014, 01:01 AM
Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzz
File file
Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
File file
Whizzzz
file
whizz
file file

Dazza
05-02-2014, 01:05 AM
No more on this one till I have the position data from the client and then the frame design and drawing will be done.
Have a good weekend

54ny77
05-02-2014, 05:06 PM
WOW. :eek:

You must have patience of a monk.

Beautiful work, as always.

rileystylee
05-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Love your work and attention to detail...
I have a little Llewellyn flavour on my savine:

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/devonbay/P3010104_zps7af7fb27.jpg (http://s281.photobucket.com/user/devonbay/media/P3010104_zps7af7fb27.jpg.html)
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/devonbay/P3010099_zps172d5689.jpg (http://s281.photobucket.com/user/devonbay/media/P3010099_zps172d5689.jpg.html)
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/devonbay/P3010102_zps1223a3a3.jpg (http://s281.photobucket.com/user/devonbay/media/P3010102_zps1223a3a3.jpg.html)

Dazza
07-31-2014, 03:45 PM
In between breaks of stainless polishing
getting my Advanced boiler ticket
a circa 1990 track funny bike frame arrived, returned from the rider after 23 years has passed! (won medals at Aussie titles)
firing #720 on passenger weekends (91 year old Aussie made steel)
other frame work
this stainless job is just waiting for a few little new details to arrive before from the LASER mob and then Joe does his Candy Apple Red over gold magic

eBAUMANN
08-01-2014, 12:46 PM
:eek:

i admire your patience…

gorgeous work as usual!

soulspinner
08-05-2014, 08:14 PM
Wow. Nobody does it better.

54ny77
08-06-2014, 08:34 AM
How on earth do you get into all those nooks and crannies to polish 'em up? A dremel with special (i.e. small) attachments/wheels?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697884595&stc=1&d=1406839375

In between breaks of stainless polishing
getting my Advanced boiler ticket
a circa 1990 track funny bike frame arrived, returned from the rider after 23 years has passed! (won medals at Aussie titles)
firing #720 on passenger weekends (91 year old Aussie made steel)
other frame work
this stainless job is just waiting for a few little new details to arrive before from the LASER mob and then Joe does his Candy Apple Red over gold magic

Dazza
08-06-2014, 02:31 PM
How on earth do you get into all those nooks and crannies to polish 'em up? A dremel with special (i.e. small) attachments/wheels?

Polishing is easy, takes minutes
it is the sanding that is the primary importance
The filing and then sanding, in steps down to 1500 grit.
It is hard on the mind
It becomes a sort of painful meditation
I use balsa and hard wood sticks with the sanding materials
There is no quick way, it takes time.
This is reflected in the frame set cost
totally just bling bling, however for the clients it is :banana:
I only allow myself do two of these each year.
This one has yet to get one more set of details added before it goes to Joe.
Some thing new for me. Stay tuned

Dazza
09-10-2014, 04:25 PM
finished off the details
at Joey Cosgove's for his paint magic
this one will Candy Apple Red

Crikey, I am onto another Lucentezza frame set build for an Aussie fella
No more of these till next year.
I need some healing time.

dubrat
09-10-2014, 10:44 PM
Wow Dazza

Peter B
09-12-2014, 02:36 AM
No one does this better than Dazza; he has only peers. And Joey's Candy Apple Red paint is outstanding. Looking forward to seeing this gorgeous Lucentezza when it's completed.

My humble Custodian has ticked every box for me and Dazza was so good to work with.

PS. Dazza--here's the steam bits I've been working on of late...

Fulton dual fuel, 4-pass thermofluid packaged clean steam generator serving a hospital and a 1000hp Johnston 4-pass natural gas vessel w/ a sweet Limpsfield burner to join two others in a pharma central plant lineup to feed a 35.5 cm 100psi header. Making cancer drugs, etc.

But I think your Locos would be more fun for tinkering!

rwsaunders
09-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Dazza...viewing your photos, it's a bit like watching a jeweler making a bike frame. Well done too, Peter B.

Dazza
11-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Crikey, that is some plumbing nest!

No one does this better than Dazza; he has only peers. And Joey's Candy Apple Red paint is outstanding. Looking forward to seeing this gorgeous Lucentezza when it's completed.

My humble Custodian has ticked every box for me and Dazza was so good to work with.

PS. Dazza--here's the steam bits I've been working on of late...

Fulton dual fuel, 4-pass thermofluid packaged clean steam generator serving a hospital and a 1000hp Johnston 4-pass natural gas vessel w/ a sweet Limpsfield burner to join two others in a pharma central plant lineup to feed a 35.5 cm 100psi header. Making cancer drugs, etc.

But I think your Locos would be more fun for tinkering!

Dazza
11-27-2014, 02:40 PM
The masking is coming off
Touch up polishing
soon to be in a box and in the cargo hold of a big bird powered by Sir Frank Whittle's invention across the pacific to land on the west coast of the USA.

evo111@comcast.net
11-27-2014, 05:35 PM
As always truly incredible workmanship!
:banana:

54ny77
11-28-2014, 10:11 AM
Unreal detail.

Always enjoy those photos!

Pschnei3
12-02-2014, 07:52 AM
incredible work!

Dazza
12-02-2014, 02:57 PM
http://busymanbicycles.blogspot.com.au/

Mick Peel the man behind Busyman (in Melbourne)worked his magic on a new saddle and made some tape for this frame set.

Thanks every one for the nice and kind compliments. Ginger and I will do some better pics after I fit the fork today.

Dazza
12-03-2014, 09:22 PM
just a few happy snaps
might get some proper shots this weekend

Waldo
12-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Dazza,

I love your work, but how about putting the tubing decal at the bottom of the seat tube? Where it is at the top of the seat tube, it distracts from enjoyment of viewing the paint, lugs, etc.

thirdgenbird
12-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Dazza,

I love your work, but how about putting the tubing decal at the bottom of the seat tube? Where it is at the top of the seat tube, it distracts from enjoyment of viewing the paint, lugs, etc.

I agree. I would put it down behind the crankset. I would consider on the NDS of the seat tube or down tube even.

Beautiful bike.

Waldo
12-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Or no decal at all.

Dazza
12-07-2014, 04:53 PM
Or no decal at all.

tradition has the decal at the top of the seat tube

however the customer can certainly have the option of up or down or no tube decal on the seat tube. Tube decal on the down tube is always NO on a Llewellyn
These current Columbus tube decals are not as sweet at the older smaller ones
atmco

54ny77
12-07-2014, 11:25 PM
It can probably be counted on one hand the # of contemporary builders at this caliber.

Absolutely superb.

Peter B
12-08-2014, 02:45 AM
Mine proudly carries several Dazza TMs but no Columbus decal. What matters is that he does his work with whatever tubes he feels are best for the doing of what he does. So. Well.

When you start the counting, methinks Dazza will be in the ole index finger position.

It's not hyperbole when I say you will find that Dazza has only peers in this trade.

8aaron8
12-08-2014, 08:54 AM
^ that is a spectacular looking bike, and I couldn't agree more, Dazza is phenomenal